FM09 style - Steam Skin Available Now *Important Information*

radestock

The FM09 style skin has been released via Steam. As of this moment the skin is still steam exclusive and this is how SI would like to keep it. I know there has been some discussion and bad feeling on it being Steam only but that's the way it is. This release will allow skinners to produce similar skins with the old style layout for everyone to enjoy.

Please don't open threads with download links for the skin or try and redistribute it via these forums. All threads will be closed.

Thanks

Radestock

I think its a little poor for us fans and customers of the franchise who choose not to use steam dont get a chance to get this.

There is absolutly no reason for not distributing to us and whats so special about steam users?

Is it because they pay more for the game? It just seems a bit of a let down

I think its a little poor for us fans and customers of the franchise who choose not to use steam don't get a chance to get this. There is absolutly no reason for not distributing to us and whats so special about steam users? Is it because they pay more for the game? It just seems a bit of a let down

Steam is a free service that you could use to activate your game. It's your choice not to use it. You don't have to have bought the game from Steam to activate it on it.

As for price.. I bought mine from Blockbuster on release for £25 and then activated it on Steam so that I didn't need to use the disc. Where did I pay more?

I can sort of understand your frustration but at the same time are you annoyed about the fact you didn't get the freebies that people got when buying from PLAY, HMV, GAME etc?

Eventually someone will make 09 style skin now the code works (I know I am making one)

As has been said it seems like hundreds of times, the FM09 skin is an EXTRA, a bonus feature to encourage the use of Steam. As Mark says it's no different to the bonus extras various companies were offering as an incentive to buy the game from them, or indeed that you don't need the DVD in the drive with Steam - no one complains about that. Plus again as Mark mentioned you could have bought the game anywhere an simply activated via steam. Every PC user has had the oppertunity to activate via steam.

The people I do feel for are Mac users who've had no chance at all.

• SI Staff
It will be available to download within 24 hrs anyway regardless ;) Im sure some will d/l as a form of "compensation" for having to wait until December to play a game they bought in October!

We've said many times before that the skin is exclusive to Steam and we don't want any links to it posted on our forums.

As has been said it seems like hundreds of times, the FM09 skin is an EXTRA, a bonus feature to encourage the use of Steam. As Mark says it's no different to the bonus extras various companies were offering as an incentive to buy the game from them, or indeed that you don't need the DVD in the drive with Steam - no one complains about that. Plus again as Mark mentioned you could have bought the game anywhere an simply activated via steam. Every PC user has had the oppertunity to activate via steam.

The people I do feel for are Mac users who've had no chance at all.

Yeah.....

What he said!

:(

Ok, so what about user made skins? Would you not allow someone to post links of an edited version of the Steam 09 skin?

If you are just using code supplied with the non-steam patch then it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I've just had a quick look, if you want to create a skin based on the FM09 one with the tree menu you need to set it's parent as the fm2008-widgets skin - that gives you the tree menu and the classic menubar and header back, there are various graphics missing but the basics seem to be there to enable skinmakers to create an FM09 style skin without needing Steam.

Ok, so what about user made skins? Would you not allow someone to post links of an edited version of the Steam 09 skin?

Depends how 'edited' it actually is. If it's obviously an attempt to bend the rules stated in the OP then we wouldn't allow that. It's a judgement we'd make when we see what people have produced. Myself and Michael are experienced enough to make that call I think, so don't worry that we'll be pouncing on stuff and being rash about it. We'd love to see some FM09 'tree' style skins around here for everyone to enjoy.

Pardon me if I'm stupid, but I bought FM10 from a retailer and installed with the CD. During the installation I chosed the option of not having to use the CD afterwards to play the game. Am I supposed to have the Steam skin available? Because I don't.

EDIT: I am stupid... I thought it would be called something like "Steam skin" in the list and not "FM 2009".

Hey

I am a steam user, and I like using the new skin as it shows more information on my laptop - player profiles have sliders with the other skin! However, I had a FM10 "base" skin that i had edited so that the attribute colours were different (red, orange and green) - is there any chance someone has a "base" skin for this one so that I can tweak those attribute colours? I find it very difficult to spot good players with that colour coding.

Anyone? Please! I already have the skin so all i want is one that I can edit in the config file. it's only a small tweak, too!

If you are just using code supplied with the non-steam patch then it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I've just had a quick look, if you want to create a skin based on the FM09 one with the tree menu you need to set it's parent as the fm2008-widgets skin - that gives you the tree menu and the classic menubar and header back, there are various graphics missing but the basics seem to be there to enable skinmakers to create an FM09 style skin without needing Steam.

And the files are found where, which bits do we need to extract out. ahh nothing works. i extracted the 08 base and widgets but no joy

And the files are found where, which bits do we need to extract out. ahh nothing works. i extracted the 08 base and widgets but no joy

You need to extract the files from: \Football Manager 2010\data\updates\update-1020\data\skins.fmf

If you are making a skin you just need to set your skin up to use the fm08-widgets skin as it's parent one instead of using the FM2010 or FM2009 skin.

Hey

I am a steam user, and I like using the new skin as it shows more information on my laptop - player profiles have sliders with the other skin! However, I had a FM10 "base" skin that i had edited so that the attribute colours were different (red, orange and green) - is there any chance someone has a "base" skin for this one so that I can tweak those attribute colours? I find it very difficult to spot good players with that colour coding.

Anyone? Please! I already have the skin so all i want is one that I can edit in the config file. it's only a small tweak, too!

I've added FM2009 style base skins to this thread: [FM2010: TEMPLATE] BASE SKINS (for changing colours adding 2D pitch graphics)

(NOTE THESE DO NOT ADD THE FM2009 STYLE SKIN FOR NON-STEAM USERS, THEY JUST ALLOW STEAM USERS TO EDIT THE SKIN).

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that the producers of one of the greatest game franchises ever have resorted to restricting their customers in this way. You are quite happy to offer the game for sale through various mediums but not updates that make it more enjoyable. It is indeed a sad indictment on the creators of the game that the 2009 skin needs to be offered out at all; is this an admission that the new interface may look good but is difficult to navigate and hence not as good as the previous game? This is certainly how I view it and I would be happy to guess it is how many other loyal and paid up players feel.

Instead of spouting out the party line could someone that makes some decisions answer the following questions:

Why when your customers have paid for the game through various outlets would you offer an update to a select few? Do you see this as poor customer service? Do you have a charter for dealing with all of your customers fairly? Why do you discriminate against some customers and not others?

Perhaps if you bother to answer my questions you could remember I am a paying customer.

Why when your customers have paid for the game through various outlets would you offer an update to a select few? Do you see this as poor customer service? Do you have a charter for dealing with all of your customers fairly? Why do you discriminate against some customers and not others?

Perhaps if you bother to answer my questions you could remember I am a paying customer.

Paying customer? are you sure? because SI can't be sure that is unless you activate your game through Steam using your unique activation key (not accusing you of pirating just making a point). That is why there is a bonus to entice users to activate through Steam.

The FM09 Skin is a freebie for activating FREE with Steam, are you annoyed about the fact you didn't get the freebies that people got when buying from PLAY, HMV, GAME etc?

Steam is a FREE service that you could use to activate your game. It's your choice not to use it. You don't have to have bought the game from Steam to activate it on it. Plus it means you don't have to put the disc in to play the game.

Paying customer? are you sure? because SI can't be sure that is unless you activate your game through Steam using your unique activation key (not accusing you of pirating just making a point). That is why there is a bonus to entice users to activate through Steam.

The FM09 Skin is a freebie for activating FREE with Steam, are you annoyed about the fact you didn't get the freebies that people got when buying from PLAY, HMV, GAME etc?

Steam is a FREE service that you could use to activate your game. It's your choice not to use it. You don't have to have bought the game from Steam to activate it on it. Plus it means you don't have to put the disc in to play the game.

Another fan boy that can't see the wood for the trees.

Another fan boy that can't see the wood for the trees.

Fanboy? Very original. So I'm a fanboy for being rational and accepting SI's decision to give this particular FREEbie to Steam users (of which every single Football Manager user with an internet connection bar Mac users can become one FREE)?

Is there a term for someone who comes on to a companies community forum to bitch like a child about not getting a FREEbie?

Put your toys back in your pram and just download the 2007 skin

Meanwhile I'm off to petition PLAY, GAME and HMV as I'm very angry I didn't get a FREE Personalised Sleeve, FREE Travel Mug or FREE Organiser from them when I bought my copy from BlockBuster :rolleyes:

Have a nice day :thup:

what if you activate through steam, get your free skin, backup, uninstall FM then reinstall without steam and then use the skin you previously obtained via steam?

Hmm interesting thought. Might work but I doubt it.

All that effort? Jeez, get a life.

Thanks, no really, Your sarcasm is much appreciated i was mearly stating an alternative way to maybe obtain the skin people so badly want, im not fussed if i get it or not now tbh.

It does seem long winded I shall continue getting used to the new layout until SI or someone else can create a mind blowing skin for this game!

Fanboy? Very original. So I'm a fanboy for being rational and accepting SI's decision to give this particular FREEbie to Steam users (of which every single Football Manager user with an internet connection bar Mac users can become one FREE)?

Is there a term for someone who comes on to a companies community forum to bitch like a child about not getting a FREEbie?

Put your toys back in your pram and just download the 2007 skin

Meanwhile I'm off to petition PLAY, GAME and HMV as I'm very angry I didn't get a FREE Personalised Sleeve, FREE Travel Mug or FREE Organiser from them when I bought my copy from BlockBuster :rolleyes:

Have a nice day :thup:

Hey! Lighten up.

Yababo, made good point.

However, you making very wrong comparison there my friend. That is individual stores make marketing promotions to sell more.

It has nothing to do with one game company make things available to costumers who only use one online service program.

Take this example. Imagine that Microsoft made Windows 7 for the PC. Microsoft then make a functionality that enables for you to use additional hard drives (second hard drive, a third, fourth and so on), but this functionality is only available to HP computers (desktop and notebooks), all the rest brands and those who made their own Desktops by choosing the parts. What about them? Well screw them! Next time you want to buy a PC and want that functionality, you should have bought an HP computer. Sucker!

That is what you are saying.

What about those that use a Mac? HUM??????????? Are you serious saying Screw them?

• Members+
Hey! Lighten up.

Yababo, made good point.

However, you making very wrong comparison there my friend. That is individual stores make marketing promotions to sell more.

It has nothing to do with one game company make things available to costumers who only use one online service program.

Take this example. Imagine that Microsoft made Windows 7 for the PC. Microsoft then make a functionality that enables for you to use additional hard drives (second hard drive, a third, fourth and so on), but this functionality is only available to HP computers (desktop and notebooks), all the rest brands and those who made their own Desktops by choosing the parts. What about them? Well screw them! Next time you want to buy a PC and want that functionality, you should have bought an HP computer. Sucker!

That is what you are saying.

What about those that use a Mac? HUM??????????? Are you serious saying Screw them?

It's not functionality though, it's a skin. The functionality to add a sidebar is there for everyone to use, and people have created skins using it already.

It is a freaking example, of course i know it isn't functionality and i know it is skin.

If the skin makers actually didn't do any skin, the people who chosen not to use steam or mac users wouldn't get one.

SI didn't do anything for those users to get such skin, it was done by users for users that chosen not to use steam and mac users.

Despite that soon or later skin maker would do a skin based on FM09, doesn't make it's right.

The FM09 style skin has been released via Steam. As of this moment the skin is still steam exclusive and this is how SI would like to keep it. I know there has been some discussion and bad feeling on it being Steam only but that's the way it is. This release will allow skinners to produce similar skins with the old style layout for everyone to enjoy.

Please don't open threads with download links for the skin or try and redistribute it via these forums. All threads will be closed.

Thanks

Radestock

So when i activate my copy on Steam, this mean's that I'll have to re-download that patch and waste 2 hours and 175mb of my Bandwidth? I personally feel upset and let down, that SI cant trust their fans, and customers, in which I have followed since the release of FM2005. I only use Steam because I have to, not because i choose to. What if i don't want to play with the updates? But no, I Have to waste many hours downloading, and for what a silly little skin? I am appalled that I, along with many, have been treated this way. I hoped that SI wouldn't go down the track with Steam like the last version, but it seems my wishes had been over looked. For the sake of Si and FM, I will use Steam for this version, but i plead with you, please restrict other versions from Steam. Steam doesn't cater for those on the lower end Internet Speeds (like me) and it takes many frustrating hours just to download a patch, for a great title. I understand that this is how SI want it, but please consider my point,

many thanks Tim

edit: You see, this is why I hate Steam. When I went to install through steam, I Had 2 options, Install through Steam, DVD not Required or Don't use Steam, DVD Required. I found out, that in order to install FM10 through Steam, I needed to re-download the WHOLE F*CKING GAME!!!! Why can i not install the game through steam, using the god damn DVD????? But no, i need to download this, and update that. I have changed my mind, I will NOT Support SI in future versions if they involve Steam.

So when i activate my copy on Steam, this mean's that I'll have to re-download that patch and waste 2 hours and 175mb of my Bandwidth? I personally feel upset and let down, that SI cant trust their fans, and customers, in which I have followed since the release of FM2005. I only use Steam because I have to, not because i choose to. What if i don't want to play with the updates? But no, I Have to waste many hours downloading, and for what a silly little skin? I am appalled that I, along with many, have been treated this way. I hoped that SI wouldn't go down the track with Steam like the last version, but it seems my wishes had been over looked. For the sake of Si and FM, I will use Steam for this version, but i plead with you, please restrict other versions from Steam. Steam doesn't cater for those on the lower end Internet Speeds (like me) and it takes many frustrating hours just to download a patch, for a great title. I understand that this is how SI want it, but please consider my point,

many thanks Tim

edit: You see, this is why I hate Steam. When I went to install through steam, I Had 2 options, Install through Steam, DVD not Required or Don't use Steam, DVD Required. I found out, that in order to install FM10 through Steam, I needed to re-download the WHOLE F*CKING GAME!!!! Why can i not install the game through steam, using the god damn DVD????? But no, i need to download this, and update that. I have changed my mind, I will NOT Support SI in future versions if they involve Steam.

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the second option, 'DVD not Required' is the one you should have gone with : this instals directly from the DVD and then you merely have to register the game via Steam for it to work, so you chose the wrong option.

In any event, I really don't understand the anger over this. I've tried the Steam FM09 skin and it's not nearly as good as the tree skin posted by Cleira in this forum. It really is a non issue.

Can someone post up some screenshots of the new Steam skin (squad screen, player profile, in match) - I'd like to get a look at it before deciding whether or not to activate with Steam.

Don't know how to post screenshots but I'd suggest you just load up FM09. It's nigh on identical (ie not very good).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
what if you activate through steam, get your free skin, backup, uninstall FM then reinstall without steam and then use the skin you previously obtained via steam?

Well im going to admit.....I tried but it didnt work, you dont get the same files as when you install the normal way,hey ho though id give it a go but who knows this skin may be available with the new patch.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few different skins around now using the tree menu. These work for all users. As the FM09 skin was an incentive to use Steam it's going to stay exclusive. What are your reasons for not using Steam out of interest?

Archived