Intensive language Course Downsides?

Hi all, just wondered if there are any downsides to sending new signings on language courses?

Do said players or staff miss any training whilst participating on these courses, or are they just downside free ways of helping players adapt?

Cheers!

The "con" seems to be just the cost of it. While SI often forget to tell us the effect of things, it would be really strange if the "send on course" message didn't include all cons.

We don't actually know if language matters or it's just flavor, because SI hasn't implemented any information on this in game. You might be using money purely for roleplaying reasons.

• Administrators

There is a 'con' as such - if a player fails to learn the language despite you sending him on the course, they can become unsettled at being unable to adapt to the new country and ask to leave.

There is a 'con' as such - if a player fails to learn the language despite you sending him on the course, they can become unsettled at being unable to adapt to the new country and ask to leave.

Isn't this a possibility even if you don't send a player on intensive course..?

The "con" seems to be just the cost of it. While SI often forget to tell us the effect of things, it would be really strange if the "send on course" message didn't include all cons.

We don't actually know if language matters or it's just flavor, because SI hasn't implemented any information on this in game. You might be using money purely for roleplaying reasons.

Language is very significant. If a player can't speak the same language as his team mates he is much more likely to become unsettled, homesick and ask to leave. Having multiple players who can't speak the language affects team cohesion and gelling so morale and squad harmony won't rise as quickly, play on the pitch will be less cohesive and defensive and goalkeeping mistakes become more likely. It also affects leadership, and having a captain who can't communicate is not good. All this is basic common sense and quite clear in the game if you actually play it.

The affect on staff is less obvious but I would guess a coach is less effective if he can't speak the language of the players.

Language is very significant. If a player can't speak the same language as his team mates he is much more likely to become unsettled, homesick and ask to leave. Having multiple players who can't speak the language affects team cohesion and gelling so morale and squad harmony won't rise as quickly, play on the pitch will be less cohesive and defensive and goalkeeping mistakes become more likely. It also affects leadership, and having a captain who can't communicate is not good. All this is basic common sense and quite clear in the game if you actually play it.

The affect on staff is less obvious but I would guess a coach is less effective if he can't speak the language of the players.

Between low team cohesion, low tactical knowledge when you just buy a full team, there is no way in hell I or any other sane person has a chance to "see" that it's due to language that something went wrong. Even if I went and bought one player, with no language anyone else in the club speaks and played the same test match 100 times, I fairly sure I would have no statistical significant data to prove language matters.

As with many things in FM, we are 100% dependent on SI setting the record straight, we are purely blind guessing otherwise and the only thing SI has commented on so far is that you risk the player wanting to leave the club due to language.

Between low team cohesion, low tactical knowledge when you just buy a full team, there is no way in hell I or any other sane person has a chance to "see" that it's due to language that something went wrong. Even if I went and bought one player, with no language anyone else in the club speaks and played the same test match 100 times, I fairly sure I would have no statistical significant data to prove language matters.

As with many things in FM, we are 100% dependent on SI setting the record straight, we are purely blind guessing otherwise and the only thing SI has commented on so far is that you risk the player wanting to leave the club due to language.

These things are often very much interlinked.

If you just bought a player with very little knowledge of the language and only he is misplacing passes etc, with the same motivation/morale as the others, it's a big tell that it's him not yet fitting in with obviously language (communication on the field) being a part of that.

Won't a player learn the language without going to course like in previous versions? I think it's just a cosmetic feature and does not really matter at all. I've had a player homesick or not able to adjust to a new country maybe 2 or 3 times at most in all the years I play FM anyway.

If you just bought a player with very little knowledge of the language and only he is misplacing passes etc, with the same motivation/morale as the others, it's a big tell that it's him not yet fitting in with obviously language (communication on the field) being a part of that.

so not knowing the language makes a player misplace his passes? so you think if you put pirlo in bundesliga club and he doesn't speak german he would start to misplace his passes? i don't think that talent and on the field abilities of a player are reduced without speaking the language of his teammates.

Why isn't his bad passing due to Team Cohesion, even a player that speak the language can have problems at first until he is part of the team.

I see Messi passing past Dani (Few meters between them) and send it off to a throw in all the time, so even fully TC'ed players make those mistakes.

Won't a player learn the language without going to course like in previous versions? I think it's just a cosmetic feature and does not really matter at all. I've had a player homesick or not able to adjust to a new country maybe 2 or 3 times at most in all the years I play FM anyway.

He will yes, but this is an effort to send him for INTENSIVE learning courses, which speeds up the process of him learning or not learning the language.

Your manager's languages also matters in matches.

In FM15 with a journeyman manager, there was consistently a clear improvement of the teams once the local language was learned. In FM16 I'm still waiting to get fluent in English in South Africa, and getting basic hasn't have a result in results, though I feel as if the players are doing the tactics better. However, I have the squad very unhappy and demoralized so there's that stuff compensating the language for results not yet improving.

Dont take advice from anyone on this forum who "knows" how a mechanic works because theyve actually "played" the game. Whatever that means. 99.9% of the time they have less idea than you do.

My complete guess it that it lowers the time your team needs to learn the match tactics, and possibly effects the quality of individual training if your coaches dont speak their language.

• 4 months later...

Can anybody help me with this one. I have a player,19 years old, who failed his intensive language course and became unhappy. Had a conversation in which one of my replies was I would send him on another course. He was happy with this and asked me to arrange it quickly-end of conversation. So I go to training/development and contract tabs and couldn't find anything. I have now looked through the tabs, board request etc still can't find a way to arrange a new course. Anybody know the answer?

Perhaps SI can include a natural intelligence attribute on future releases which would determine how easy/difficult it was for a player to learn a new language. I heard a story that Gabriel at Arsenal could only say hello and goodbye after nearly 6 months of lessons!

Perhaps SI can include a natural intelligence attribute on future releases which would determine how easy/difficult it was for a player to learn a new language. I heard a story that Gabriel at Arsenal could only say hello and goodbye after nearly 6 months of lessons!

It's already there, called Adaptability.

The fact that the feature is there implies that it affects team cohesion. Soccer is a team sport, which means communication between players is just as important as communication between you and the players. I remember Arsenal wouldn't play their new defender last year specifically because of the language issue, so it clearly matters at least some. With offense players, it can lower your chance of scoring goals...but with defense players, it can cost you goals, which is an even bigger concern.

It's already there, called Adaptability.

I'd suggest that was a personality feature, discussing homesickness and resilience to being alone etc. Not an intelligence issue, I guess it is open to interpretation.

I'd suggest that was a personality feature, discussing homesickness and resilience to being alone etc. Not an intelligence issue, I guess it is open to interpretation.

So basically you want a attribute for how thick a footballer is? Not sure that's going to get through the legal team.

And that's assuming that the ability and desire to learn a language is based entirely on intelligence. The adaptability attribute is more than good enough.

Can anybody help me with this one. I have a player,19 years old, who failed his intensive language course and became unhappy. Had a conversation in which one of my replies was I would send him on another course. He was happy with this and asked me to arrange it quickly-end of conversation. So I go to training/development and contract tabs and couldn't find anything. I have now looked through the tabs, board request etc still can't find a way to arrange a new course. Anybody know the answer?

Update

2 weeks later(game time) player goes public with concerns that manager has done nothing to help, despite promising to do so.

I might be missing something, which is why I am asking for help, otherwise why would S.I. have a response upon which you could not act?

You will probably need to create a bug report as it sounds like something has gone wring, have you kept a save point from the time of the conversation with the player?

Archived