Offside or Onside?

I just lost a top end fixture against Boro in the Championship.

Their winning goal (they didn't deserve either) was a through ball to which their striker runs onto, though who was in an offside position. My 'keeper advances to meet him, though my recovering defender hooks the ball away with a sliding tackle from behind with no touch from the forward.

Cleared at a diagonal, the ball comes to their second attacker and with my 'keeper out of position is greeted with an open goal and scores.

Now, is that an offside by the rules of the game, and if so is it something the match engine doesn't recognise?

FIFA Law 11: Offside

But whatever the law says, the referee is refereeing, and he and his assistants can make mistakes. Sometimes blatantly. The referees in FM are not made to be 100% correct every time. (Except when judging if a ball is a goal or not, crossing the goal line or not, apparently. Although not visually represented or mentioned anywhere in the game, apparently all leagues in FM are operating with "invisible" Goal Line Technology, even though all leagues are not in real life.)

offside is when he touches the ball, which he did not, instead your defender passed the ball, which is not offside either...

Wrong. The attacker went for the ball, which makes him offside. Touch or no touch doesn't matter.

I just lost a top end fixture against Boro in the Championship.

Their winning goal (they didn't deserve either) was a through ball to which their striker runs onto, though who was in an offside position. My 'keeper advances to meet him, though my recovering defender hooks the ball away with a sliding tackle from behind with no touch from the forward.

Cleared at a diagonal, the ball comes to their second attacker and with my 'keeper out of position is greeted with an open goal and scores.

Now, is that an offside by the rules of the game, and if so is it something the match engine doesn't recognise?

What's the context of this? The way it's written it feels like it was a fast counter attack. If so then how was the ref and linesman positioning? If they were in the best place to make an offside call, then how could they get it wrong? I've never seen a clear offside called wrongly, only ones where there is conceivably some doubt. Which is of course my memory and observation so it counts for little. However, unless the forward was in his own half, it does read as an open and shut case and as such should probably go to the bugs forum.

I get plenty of good goals chalked off for offside, and sometimes get goals counted that should have been chalked off.

Quite like that the refs are realistically imperfect in their decisions.

There was one a while back I had. I was doing the Pentagon, and closing in on my 4th Champions League in South America before heading to Europe. In the final, things finely poised, playing Chivas of Mexico. Going into the final stages we were ahead, but then Carlos Fierro scored. Or so I thought. It was disallowed, but I just could not work out whether it was the right decision or not from any angle. I think in the end I had to admit that he was ever so slightly on, but the goal didn't stand, and I won the trophy. It's those kinds of moments I love in FM.

What's the context of this? The way it's written it feels like it was a fast counter attack. If so then how was the ref and linesman positioning? If they were in the best place to make an offside call, then how could they get it wrong? I've never seen a clear offside called wrongly, only ones where there is conceivably some doubt. Which is of course my memory and observation so it counts for little. However, unless the forward was in his own half, it does read as an open and shut case and as such should probably go to the bugs forum.

It was a defender regaining possession from said attacker. Defence push up in a line, but a poor distribution results in first time through ball. He was a good two meters off side.

Archived