Your Best Little Surprise Signing

Maccer40

This is a thread for people to share their experiences for nice little surprise signings. eg .. cheaply bought for backup and surprised you.

Mine has got to be matt derbyshire from blackburn for Newcastle. Bought him for £8m to play as a back for owen because i don't rate viduka at all. Owen gets injured at the back end of september and i have no choice but to play matt, thinking i will just buy a quality striker in january. 4 - 5 games in i thought ... wow ... he's actually pretty good.. 23 goals in 32 games so far in february and he has completely shoved owen out of his first team place. Nice little surprise i thought to myself considering his average stats

Anyone had any others like this ?

Stefano Sorrentino for Recreativo in Season 1

Paid 300k for a keeper already on loan to Recreativo.They also have Mariano Barbosa but i liked his stats and experience.Didnt let me down as my no. 1 for the 2 seasons i played that save.had a rating of 7.18 overall with wicked performances in some of those games[Mark Crossley against Newcastle a few seasons back]

Yoann Goufrann (sp) on the original patch.

I signed him as a back up striker for newcastle, but i was forced to play him straight away as my other strikers were injured, he scored 5 goals in that game :D

Giovani Dos Santos..got him on a free, but at just 20, wasn't expecting him to be ready for first-team football.

Lo and behold, in his first league match for me, he comes off the bench to notch a late winner against Fiorentina!

Legend in the making.

Tales, I did not know about him, untill i read somewhere on these fourms a few weeks ago, I had Luis Jimenez, but the Rangers board accepted Man Citys offer of £20M + 50% sell-on, So i needed a replacement as i only had piatti for AMC, so at the time Tales looked ok - i paid £2.5M for him, and he has been Outstanding for me ever since (kudos to who ever found him). He plays best for me at AMR though which suprised me a little as he just keeps scoring & getting assiats from AMR - superb player, plus his stats keep going up aswell.

Per Ciljan Skjelbred was bought for my Newcastle team for £3.5m in the first season and now in the middle of the 5th season his value constantly changes between £14m and £16m, and has been a first team regular for almost five years. The best thing is he is still only 24!

Djib Cisse

Signed him aged 31 to be a good role model to some of my younger players. Got him on a free when his contract and marseille ran out, ended up banging them in for the first team scoring hat-tricks every other game, couldnt believe my eyes.

Had quite a few wit Man U

Oier Olazabal from Barcelona becomes a top keeper, got him for about 500k and he played over 300 games for me.

Gareth Bale was bought for 10m as a replacement for Evra then around 5 yrs later i sold him for 30m to Madrid

Marcelo from Madrid has a 5.5m release clause and can easily be a top LB for any club, and is under 20

Aaron from Valencia, wen u start he is only 16 but quickly develops into a wonderkid, i bought him for around 250k and sold him for 46m to Madrid

Henri Saivet is a good cheap striker who will bag 30 a season, scored 142 in 297 for me along wit Genero Zeefuik whos also a v gd young player u can get for around 2.5m

also if u want a short term striker take Henry from Barcelona if u can, was sensational for me and only cost 3m, not bad for a striker who scored 72 in 94.

Sebastian Blanco signed for 600k when I was in championship with Crewe and went on to be crowned european midfielder of the years and became a part of my greatest FM team ever. Also Rafael Forster bought for 400k in my first season arrived at beginning of my second season and has been my LB and sometimes CB until the present day 10 season later. Although he wants to move now.

He has very good mental stats on my game but his other stats didnt improve that much, his performances did though has become a very solid LB either attacking or defending he is comfortable doing both. Also covers CB very well if I have no one else available.

sup guys here the most underrrated, undiscovered player in FM08, his name is Ricardo zampagna a striker plying his trade in the italian Serie B(i forget the exact team).@ 31yrs old is a short term fix but guarranteed to give yout at least 2 1/2yrs. i signed him for my AC Milan save and he kept pato borriello and Keibling out of the line up score 33 goals in the first season. chech him out guys you wont regret it

Cani in an online Premiership game. Had 2 other left wingers reject me so on the last day I had an offer accepted for him and signed him and he ended up having the highest average rating in the league. For a guy signed for 5mil as a third choice, I was right pleased.

On my Triestina game:

Pato, free. He was unhappy and wanted to move, but was reluctant. I only signed him when he had 1 month remaining on his contract.

Then there's Adriano for 300,000 pounds 2 seasons in - bargain, even though he's lazy and problematic. Still grateful for his stupidly high striking ability, though.

Alessio Cerci on a free is another one - Roma seemed to forget to renew his contract.

On my Derby County game:

Benjani and Ameobi on loan in January, as I had injuries to all my strikers bar one. Benjani ended up bagging a goal a game while Ameobi, after a slow start, eventually started scoring at the same rate as Benjani. Surprising as I never thought about signing them - Benjani ended up scoring as much as my other top scorer that was injured, and the fans loved him.

Nick Chadwick for my Hartlepool team. I bought him as back up for James Brown and Joel Porter. I lost my right winger to injury so i moved Brown to the right wing. I gave Chadwick a chance up front. He finished the season with 34 goals in 46 games. Not bad for a free transfer

i have a few players i bought - mainly to sell on when developed a bit and also to provide cover.

Danny Haynes was the first, playing as Charlton, was at the lower end of the championship just passed the new year, was looking as though the original season prospects of reaching the playoffs was well and truly out of the question. I was playing with a lone striker (todorov) who broke his leg, replalacement striker was dire so i brought in haynes for 3.6m, to cover for the three months todorov would be out for - haynes started banging them in, his shear pace alone was causing havoc against the oppo defences, he finished with a rating of 7.56, 16 goals and 7 assists in 18 games - got offers from man city, fulham and blackburn at the end of the season

Matias Fernandez (10M) - obviously a good player anyway, playing as newcastle, trained him to be a striker scored 52 in 56 immense (basically won me the league)

old game (back when i was an amateur and thought what made a good striker was finishing and heading) - To Madeira i think his name was - dribbling 20, finishing 20, bought for about 250k - disappeared when champ man and fm split.

Archived