FM14: Leeds United - The past is the past, Marching On Together again...

macca72

2m3k1m9.jpg

Leeds United - A brief history

Leeds United came into being in 1919 following the demise of the old Leeds City Football Club and joined the Midland League, playing their first game in that competition in November 1919. It was on May 31, 1920 that Leeds United were elected to the Football League, polling 31 votes to step into the Second Division along with Cardiff City, who had polled 23 votes.

United's first ever fixture in the Second Division was against Port Vale, who, ironically, were the club who had taken over Leeds City's fixtures after their expulsion. United lost that opening fixture 2-0 and that was the start of a difficult league baptism for them.

Arthur Fairclough, a successful manager with Barnsley, had been appointed manager in succession to Dick Ray, who led the club in the Midland League, and they finished the 1920-21 season in 14th place in the Second Division. Fairclough needed only four seasons to take United into the First Division, and they went up as Champion with 54 points - three more than Bury who were runners-up. But it was a struggle in the top flight and after three seasons there, United were relegated.

United experienced an up and down existence in the 1920s and 30s. They went back into Division One 1928-29 but lasted only three seasons before making the drop but after just one season they were back in the top flight in 1932-33 and stayed there until the outbreak of war in 1939.

After the war, following one season in Division One, United had a nine-season run in Division Two, during which time the great John Charles made his debut, before being promoted in 1956-57. They were back down again in 1960-61.

Success in cup competitions also eluded United and it was not until Don Revie took over in 1961 that real success came their way. He built a team around Billy Bremner and Jack Charlton that was feared both at home and abroad in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He guided his side to two top-flight championships, the Second Division title, an FA Cup triumph in the competition's Centenary year, a League Cup Final win, a Charity Shield victory and a couple of European trophy successes before leaving in 1974 to manage England.

In the early 1980s, however, United's 17-year stay in the top division came to an end. They were relegated to Division Two and languished there for eight years, old boys Eddie Gray and Billy Bremner both taking up the reins at the club, before Howard Wilkinson brought United back to the top flight in 1990 as Second Division champions. He also guided them to the First Division Championship in 1992 and to the League Cup final four years later, which Aston Villa won. The following season he was succeeded by George Graham and two years later Graham left for Tottenham and United appointed David O'Leary to succeed him.

The Irishman did a remarkable job in a relatively short period as the 19th manager since United's formation. It was during his tenure that exciting young players from the Academy were given a real chance to shine, Jonathan Woodgate, Harry Kewell, Stephen McPhail, Ian Harte and Alan Smith all coming through to make an impact. During O'Leary's tenure as manager United made their mark again in the UEFA Cup and also qualified for the Champions League, holding their own with such European giants as Barcelona, AC Milan, Lazio, Anderlecht and Deportivo La Coruna to reach the semi-finals where they lost out to Valencia.

Leeds spent big in the transfer market but O'Leary's reign came to an abrupt end in 2002 when he was succeed by Terry Venables. United were hitting financial problems on a large scale at that time and Venables didn't last long before United turned to Peter Reid on a temporary basis. Although he earned a full contract after saving United's Premier League status, Eddie Gray replaced him on a temporary basis, but after less than a season in charge, he gave way for Kevin Blackwell to become manager in 2003.

Blackwell guided United through some stormy waters but United made a poor start to the 2006-2007 season he was sacked and replaced by Dennis Wise in October 2006. Wise took over the reins, but was unable to halt a first ever slide into the third tier of the English game. The new manager re-shuffled his pack in January 2007 and while March and early April gave hope of a great escape relegation was confirmed on April 28 when Ipswich Town's Alan Lee scored a late leveller to deny United the win needed to keep hopes alive until the final day.

Within six days, the club slipped into administration and relegation was confirmed by the mandatory 10-point deduction imposed on clubs who enter administration.

A summer of torment began at Elland Road. After gaining creditor approval to bring the club out of administration the new owners (Leeds United 2007 Ltd) - led by chairman Ken Bates - were almost thwarted when the Inland Revenue objected to the CVA. The club's administrators KMPG put the club for sale for a second time, and once again, Leeds United 2007 were successful in buying the club. However, without an approved CVA - the Inland Revnue's objection nullified the CVA - the Football League insisted upon on 15-point sanction before returning the "Golden Share" (Membership of the League). That proposal was supported by the majority of Football League chairmen, who voted in favour of a points sanction on the basis that the club emerged from administration without a valid CVA, despite the fact a valid CVA was unachieveable.

And so it was that the club began the 2007/08 season 15 points adrift at the foot of League One. In a remarkable campaign, Dennis Wise's men won their opening seven games and went on to hit top spot, albeit briefly, on Boxing Day.

In January 2008 Wise left the club - favouring a role at Newcastle United - and former club captain Gary McAllister returned to take over the reins. McAllister slowly got the season back on track and after beating Carlisle United in the Play-Off semi-finals, he became the first former captain to lead the manager out at Wembley in a competitive game when United took on Doncaster Rovers in the Play-Off final.

That game ended in disappointment with United losing 1-0 and missing out on what would have been the most remarkable promotion in the game.

With a first pre-season behind him as United manager, his charges quickly rose to second in the table. September saw the team record six straight victories, and with no sign of a Play-Off 'hangover', United were among the pace-setters in the division, but Leeds failed to live up to that early season form and McAllister paid the price for a run a of five successive defeats - including a 1-0 FA Cup second round reverse at non-league Histon - when he parted company with the club in December.

McAllister was replaced by former Blackpool manager Simon Grayson , who proceeded to lead the club on a tremendous unbeaten streak in the second half of the season. After losing at Hereford in February - when fans vented their frustrations after seemingly seeing their side reach a new low - United embarked on a run of 11 games without defeat and only lost one of the final 14 league games. Striker Jermaine Beckford became the first Leeds striker for over 30 years to score 30 goals in a season, and the campaign eventually ended with Play-Off heartache yet again after Millwall progressed 2-1 on aggregate in the semi-final, following a 1-1 draw at Elland Road.

Undeterred, Grayson and his squad recovered from the set-back to start the 2009/10 season with a club record eight straight wins in all competitions, and a 13-game unbeaten start to the league season gave United a platform in the top two. By Christmas, Leeds were nine points clear in the promotion places, and when 2010 started with an FA Cup third round win at Manchester United - the club's first win at Old Trafford for 29 years - the season was shaping up to be a memorable one. Despite gaining a 2-2 draw at Tottenham in the fourth round of the FA Cup, the league form took a dive. United were also knocked out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Area Final on penalties at Carlisle and when Swindon won at Elland Road in April, Leeds slipped out of the promotion spots for the first time in eight months.

Grayson's men summoned up one final push and promotion back to the Championship was secured on the final afternoon of the season, following a 2-1 win against Bristol Rovers in front of a full-house at Elland Road. That success secured a return to football's second tier and Grayson's side went on to establish the highest league finish since 2006 after enjoying an impressive season back in the Championship.

The following season was a roller-coaster with some great performances against the likes of Millwall, Coventry, Burnley, and eventual league winners QPR being mingled in with some heavy defeats. Preston became the first side ever to score six in a league game at Elland Road and goals conceded was the biggest frustration. Leeds did score 81 league goals - four players scored more than 10 for the first time in over 20 years - and Grayson's men would have secured a top-six finish at the first time of asking had it not been for a disappointing end to the season. In the end, United missed out on the final day despite beating newly crowned champions QPR at Loftus Road.

Grayson became the club's longest serving manager since O'Leary during the 2011/12 season, but there was a parting of the ways in January 2012 with the team sitting outside of the Play-Off places. Neil Warnock was appointed as the club's 27th manager at the end of February as the club went on to finish in mid-table in the Championship.

The following year Warnock struggled to fulfill his brief of gaining promotion. In the midst of a takeover which saw Ken Bates finally sell the club to GFH capital, the season drifted towards mediocrity (and a brief flirtation with relegation), Warnock was sacked.

GFH moved quickly to appoint Brian McDermott as the new manager, with him he brought fresh optimism and guided the team to safety.

16ih2lx.jpg

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds United - In the game

xeoj95.jpg

2ai376c.jpg

126fiio.jpg

So here, we go...

This year still hasn't been too kind to us in terms of transfer budget, a pretty full wage bill and plenty of "deadwood" to clear awaits. £2m is more than we have been used to in recent years, but given the squad requires some attention in many areas, you'll have your work cut-out, even for the most ambitious managers out there who fancy a shot at promotion.

Leeds United - Meet the Team

2njx8d1.png

1. Paddy Kenny - Easily your number one choice, should be one of the top 5-6 keepers in the league. He's getting on a bit mind, so you might want to start thinking about a replacement for season 2 onwards.

12. Jamie Ashdown - Solid back up if Kenny gets injured, could also cope with a run in the team for cup games.

33. Alex Cairns - The youngster in the group, will sit on your bench as 3rd choice if the need arises, maybe slightly underrated on the game, and may not ever make it into your first team plans.

f48sz.png

25. Sam Byram (RB) - The jewel in the crown. The player with the highest potential, he's injured at the start of the game, but he's one to keep for the long, long term (stay away Norwich).

3. Adam Drury (LB) - Advancing in years and maybe one to sacrifice to get some additional funds in the kitty.

4. Tom Lees (CB) - Much maligned by Neil Warnock, the lad has a bright future at Elland Road. Good player and will only get better, one to keep and keep and watch him flurish.

5. Jason Pearce (CB) - Good championship player, unless you can find a much better alternative for no money, one to keep, should hopefully produce some steady performances for you.

2. Lee Peltier (RB / CB) - Useful player, you'll rely on him at the start until Golden Boy returns from his injury. Has the added bonus he can also play at CB as additional cover. Keep him and save your money.

15. Stephen Warnock (LB) - At the start your best defender, former England international with plenty of experience and still a good age. Would make good Vice Captain material.

22. Scott Wootton (CB) - Looks like he has plenty of potential, young and has pedigree. For me starts alongside Tom Lees at the heart of your defence, have a feeling this lad will get better and better. Only thing to watch out for is he has a number of appearance related clauses in his transfer, so he'll be costing you money every step of the way.

bfosvo.jpg

8. Rudy Austin (DM) - Start with the best. Your captain and leader, arguably your best player, 100% your best midfielder

17. Michael Brown (DM) - Remember the "Deadwood"?. Legacy from the Warnock era, can be sold to raise funds, if you like him you can keep him for cover, but you should be able to move him on.

32. Chris Dawson (CM) - Decent potential but maybe slightly underrated, can be loaned for experience, but it's always nice to have homegrown players in the team. A candidate for appearances in the cup competitions.

7. Paul Green (CM) - A good player, will perform well in the right role. For me one to keep, good age, good experience.

30. Ryan Hall (AMR) - The teams chronic lack of width probably makes him more appealing than he is. Strangely valued at £1m, although it will be tough to move him on. If you fancy playing wingers then maybe he's decent cover, but in truth probably isn't good enough.

36. Alex Mowatt (CM) - Sadly his potential is hugely underrated and doesn't reflect his bursting on the scene in reality. As it stands in the game won't get near your first team, a shame.

6. Luke Murphy (CM) - An exciting prospect, our first £1m+ signing in 8 years. Has a spark of creativity and still young, your 2nd best midfielder behind Austin, but easily your most creative. One of the first names on the teamsheet.

19. David Norris (CM) - Get rid if you can, or if not, backup at best.

16. Danny Pugh (ML) - See above.

18. Michael Tonge (CM) - And the hat trick.

sc5948.jpg

21. El Hadji Diouf (AMR) - Still has something to offer, but it depends on your approach. If you are set on playing wide men, keep him, he's a good player. If you decide to play to your strengths and go narrow, can probably be moved for some much needed finance.

10. Noel Hunt (ST) - Useful player, in the right role will give you some good performances, plenty of experience in this league and his stats point to him being a good player, could form a good partnership with Ross.

44. Ross McCormack (ST) - Your best forward, you should probably build your attacks around him. You'll probably get the best out of him if you partner him either with Hunt, or invest in a "Poacher" type player and let Ross do his thing.

26. Dom Poleon (ST) - Off the Thorp Arch production line and looks like a good prospect. I'd keep him in and around the first team squad, he might prove a good impact player as the season goes on.

20. Matt Smith (ST) - Seems underrated a touch, which is a shame. I think you'll struggle to move him on, but despite his scout ratings, I think he'll prove useful in a "big man, little man" combination with McCormack.

11. Luke Varney (ST) - Inconsistent, could be one to try and move on for funds, I think you have better options. He could be a useful backup on the left wing, but all in all, maybe time for him to go.

Leeds United - Tactics & Summary

t8ovx2.jpg

I still think the squad needs major surgery in at least 3 areas, 4 if you would like to play with traditional wingers, top of my shopping list would be...

• A quality central midfielder who can perform a number of different roles
  • Someone to help ease the pressure on Murphy being our only creative outlet in central midfield, or if you play 3 CM's
  • Some quality up top, either a true Poacher, or a creator to let McCormack provide you with goals
  • Some experience at CB, you might get away with this one, but it would be a nice to have
  • Wingers, Inside forwards, anyone really if you want to play wider. You could easily spend all of your budget here

Given the lack of width you may be relying on your fullbacks / wingbacks providing you with the edge you need out wide.

My preference would be to utilise Austin in his natural DMC position, in either a support or defensive role. I'm not sure what Murphys best role would be, but find it and build the rest of the Midfield around him.

You have a few options in the striking department, whichever combination suits you, but I still think we lack a true out and out finisher.

So in summary, as always, a brilliant save to undertake, plenty of ways you can play and plenty of places to spend your money. I like the fact we have some good potential in Byram, Lees and Wootton this year, they should hopefully be with you for a while.

MOT

Huzzah!! Been waiting for this. Fairly slow player myself so I could wait.

My start to the game.

Got Franco Zuculini on a free, Kasper Kusk for £450k and Stevie May for £230k.

Brown and Drury both out.

After a slow start Kusk and Zuculini are blending well and giving good wide play and Zuculini is not bad in the middle too.

Stevie May got injured but Poleon seems to have stepped in to work well as Poacher with McCormack playing in a False 9 position.

Playing a fairly basic 442 with players suited to roles. Eight games in and 3rd in table!! Plus just beat Fulham in 3rd round of Carling Cup.

(tried posting screens but couldn't??)

MOT

I'd keep Michael Brown. He's tough, simple anchor man and brilliant at seeing out games.

Not biased though.

Also, I think Smith is also underrated by a distance.

Leeds desperately need wingers, with Diouf lacking the necessary pace to trouble the opposite full backs and Hall being quite poor on game and IRL. At the start a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 is a option, or the 5-3-2 used by McDermott currently.

Huzzah!! Been waiting for this. Fairly slow player myself so I could wait.

My start to the game.

Got Franco Zuculini on a free, Kasper Kusk for £450k and Stevie May for £230k.

Brown and Drury both out.

After a slow start Kusk and Zuculini are blending well and giving good wide play and Zuculini is not bad in the middle too.

Stevie May got injured but Poleon seems to have stepped in to work well as Poacher with McCormack playing in a False 9 position.

Playing a fairly basic 442 with players suited to roles. Eight games in and 3rd in table!! Plus just beat Fulham in 3rd round of Carling Cup.

(tried posting screens but couldn't??)

MOT

Yeah, I got Stevie May, great player. I tried for Zuculini but couldn't get him, went back for one of my all time favourites, Stefan Johansen.

I've just finished my 1st Season, so I'll post some updates later...

Nice opening post, Iv been keeping my eye out for this popping up.

Im almost half way through my first season the Joys of working Nights in an office. Currently switching between 2nd & 3rd spot with Blackpool, with QPR sat top about 8 Points clear. Nothing to choose between the top 8/9 Teams though after that.

Been playing with a 4-1-3-2 just trying to pack the midfield out and protect the defence with Rudy Austin. Seems to work very well until you come up against a team using advanced wingers or 5 in midfield then you have to change things about a little or be prepared to concede.

Will update with some of my signings struggled finding an ST though, keep having to use Poleon who does ok but wont be setting the championship a light. I also signed Stefan Johnson 875k & Draper an MC from Scotland for 325k. Both good signings. Broadfoot CB 925K on Installments, Anthony Stokes 750k Installments also.

Sold a fair few: Peltier, Drury, Brown, Norris, Tonge, Pugh, Hunt, Varney. Loaned out: Smith, Hall, A load of the youngsters.

I had a great Leeds save going in the Beta... and then the patch to live broke it.

I played a 3-4-1-2. I managed to get rid of quite a bit of deadwood... then revamped the back line with Derik of Real Madrid, Sergi Gomez of Barca B, and Stefan Stransburg.

For the midfield I brought in Javi from Barca B, Lucas Romero from Argentine side Velez, and Edu Bedia on loan from Barca B.

Up front I played McCormack as a f9, and brought in youngster Richario Zivkovic to play poacher.

My best players, by far, were Romero and Byram, with White a close 3rd. But this was in beta when WBs were uber.

I wish that save didn't get corrupted... was leading the league half way through the season.

Be interested to see where you finished Macca. Even though Im doing ok, the matches tend to be seat of the pants stuff. With May injured and not really given a chance to get going, I dont think I really have that clinical edge. From some things I read that may be in part down to ME? Get plenty of chances but dont capitalise.

More likely my unadventurous formation though?

Overall we play some decent stuff and if i feel pressured, Austin drops back to a DM and seems to soak it up. Plenty of yellow cards though.

On the ME, loving the way shouts are implemented this year and not struggling like I did last year. Not much wrong with it at all really. ( imho).

Great job on the OP Macca, and a really good squad analysis which I think is spot on.

Leeds United looks like a really interesting challenge this year as the squad undoubtedly needs some work but there's the basis of a potentially really good team in there.

I've played through the first season and am halfway through the 2nd, will post details later!

Be interested to see where you finished Macca. Even though Im doing ok, the matches tend to be seat of the pants stuff. With May injured and not really given a chance to get going, I dont think I really have that clinical edge. From some things I read that may be in part down to ME? Get plenty of chances but dont capitalise.

More likely my unadventurous formation though?

Overall we play some decent stuff and if i feel pressured, Austin drops back to a DM and seems to soak it up. Plenty of yellow cards though.

On the ME, loving the way shouts are implemented this year and not struggling like I did last year. Not much wrong with it at all really. ( imho).

I won the League by a mile, from memory I got 105 points, I'll upload when I get home.

I decided to abandon any hope of finding wide men and played a 4-1-3-2. I have since found some cracking wide players and I kind of wish I'd made the effort (Chris Johnston playing for Kilmarnock I think, he's like Snodgrass, only better!). I felt we needed quality in key areas, so that's what I went after.

I'll post my transfers later, but i'll tell you who they were.

Stefan Johansen - One of my all time favourites, a great midfielder who has improved this year, has the likes of PSV looking at him at the start, so I overpaid his contract to get him in. Paid 250k upfront and 750k over 4 years

Stevie May - Lots of 15's in the stats you want in a poacher, Pace, Finishing. Got 20-odd goals and is only 20 years old. Paid 350k upfront

Samba Diakite - On loan from QPR, was massively disappointed with him and he took a chunk of cash, couldn't wait to get rid.

Javi Espinosa - My favourite so far, in Barcelona 'B' squad, a bit of research tells you (IRL anyway) he's a gem. You get him for a song 100k-200k and he's great.

Tom Hateley - Free transfer in January, a good utility man to have around

That was pretty much it, £2m doesn't go far once you start paying decent wages and agent fees...

Poleon & Green were the surprise performers for me, Poleon got 15 or so goals covering for Stevie May, and Green was very good in the BBM role.

I'm using Coen's recommended set up on player database and to this added players of nationality Brazil for the coaches it brings in to the game.

Here is what I brought in:

GK Fernando Henrique, Ceara £60K. Abdoulaye Keita, Free.

DR Sofian Chahed, free. Mikael Dyrestam IFK Goteborg £150K.

DL Tsepo Masilela, £275K Kaizer Chiefs, Diego Giaretta, £60K Atletico Goianiense.

DC Ignacio Canuto, £150K Liga De Quito, Siyabonga Sangweni £165K Orlando Pirates. Dyrestam. Giaretta.

DMC Franco Zuculini, Free, Renan Teixeira, £110K Sport Recife, Mario Bolatti, £375K Internacional, Kevin Pannewitz, Free, Simon Tibbling, £10K Djurgarden.

MR Jiloan Hamed, £55K Malmo FF. Adelhak Nouri, £750K compensation.

ML Luis Bolanos, £200K Liga De Quito.

ST Felipe Azevedo, £250K Sport Recife (& agent buy out). Marcelo, £1.9M Atletico Paranaense. Ivan Bolado, Free.

I'm using the Sacchi tactic too.

Staff wise, here is who I brought in:

Ass Man Ayres Morais de Albuquerque.

Coach Paulo Cesar Batista dos Santos (4* tactics).

Fitness Coach Flavio Trevisan (5*).

Goalkeeping Oscar Rodriguez (5* Handling). Salvino Damiao (4 1/2 * Shot Stopping).

Physio Octacilio de Matta Lopez Junior.

Scout Luiz Claudio Sanzi (18/20), Will Rodrigues (20/19). But loads of quality unemployed Brazilian Scouts.

Luis Fernando Moraes is a top Head of Youth Development but doesn't always want to come at game start.

Nice Nicko... a good mix of the old faithful go-to players from previous additions and a few new ones..

Just loading up my save now.. will update with screenies.

Yes indeed, the likes of Fernando Henrique, Renan & Canuto are solid and great value this year. Marcelo meanwhile is very exciting. Really happy with the squad. I'll need to push on again come January and, due to the financial constraints, will need to sell again.

Am into December 2013 and Nicolas Tagliafico is running his contract down and just been listed. He'll be coming in with Wellington Paulista, 30 yo ST who can be signed on a free once his loan ends and his contract expires.

Be interesting to see how Leeds do if you primarily stuck with the original team and using a 5-3-2 as it is IRL. It'd be an intriguing challenge.

IRL into fm I'd say we'd playing

GK

CB - CB - CB

CWB ------------------CWB

B2B - DLP - CM (S)

TM - F9/AF

But Mowatt isn't good enough to play CM (S) or be in the team

Going to start again but try and purchase more sensible players. (Younger, talented, EU players)

These will be my first targets:

09d190d59b47160867854314da0d8154.png

great shout Macca btw.. excellent looking prospect

613e81cd27c85cfc7a2629b659120d7e.png

Like a cheaper Aaron Cresswell, who is a favourite of mine.

c128642439311ffd9b8dd8af2f80552f.png

Just look at those mental and physical stats... perfect.

eedb28be9d681343f6c4faa94f969676.png

Not sure if I can get him, but he looks fantastic.

10459b2a2ad0d374a744486657231d8e.png

Really like this guy, not sure if i need him with Lees and Wootton though.

c911b809b2ce45e96cc9d8c6ccbf99b0.png

This guy is an interesting prospect too.hmmm.

@welshace, keep me up to speed with Johnston, I may start another save just to get him, I think he will be class. Some great other finds in there as well.

Have a look at Javi Espinosa @ Barcelona, see what you think of him.

EDIT: Just had a better look at Pavelka, he looks awesome...

White, presumably for his pace? Warnock is the better defender.

Out of curiosity to you all really, are we Leeds fans IRL? Do we attend games? How long we been going to games etc? First game?

My first game was in 2004/2005 iirc, was against Ipswich. Generally I've been to 1-2 games a season since then apart from our first season in league one where I went to quite a few of the away games with my dad, probably saw about 6 games that season as we generally go and stay in Leeds and see one or two then depending on if we can get a week with Sat/Tues home games. Got membership again this season, been to Reading away and Yeovil at home so far as we did the 7-8 hour round drive (was as fun as it sounds) last saturday. Going to Charlton this Saturday. May also get to Brighton, Yeovil, QPR and Bournemouth away and maybe another one day road trip up to Leeds :D.

My first game was in 2004/2005 iirc, was against Ipswich. Generally I've been to 1-2 games a season since then apart from our first season in league one where I went to quite a few of the away games with my dad, probably saw about 6 games that season as we generally go and stay in Leeds and see one or two then depending on if we can get a week with Sat/Tues home games. Got membership again this season, been to Reading away and Yeovil at home so far as we did the 7-8 hour round drive (was as fun as it sounds) last saturday. Going to Charlton this Saturday. May also get to Brighton, Yeovil, QPR and Bournemouth away and maybe another one day road trip up to Leeds :D.

My first game was against Ipswich as well, the day we got relegated from the Championship to league one. The next two seasons I had a season ticket, managing every home game but only two aways, Doncaster and Huddersfield. After that, I scrapped the season ticket due to working saturday/sundays and went to nearly every midweek home and away game for two years. After that, I was abroad, so I went to three aways and 2 home games, one being Chelsea. This year I've not been to that many, 3 aways and 2 friendlies.

I was going to attend Charlton, but I've just got my old job back which I desperately needfor Uni and they've offered me my old shift, so I daren't let them down. Want to go to around 5/6 extra games this year, and then start properly next season when I'll hopefully have more time to work as I'll have completed my degree.

My first game was against Ipswich as well, the day we got relegated from the Championship to league one. The next two seasons I had a season ticket, managing every home game but only two aways, Doncaster and Huddersfield. After that, I scrapped the season ticket due to working saturday/sundays and went to nearly every midweek home and away game for two years. After that, I was abroad, so I went to three aways and 2 home games, one being Chelsea. This year I've not been to that many, 3 aways and 2 friendlies.

I was going to attend Charlton, but I've just got my old job back which I desperately needfor Uni and they've offered me my old shift, so I daren't let them down. Want to go to around 5/6 extra games this year, and then start properly next season when I'll hopefully have more time to work as I'll have completed my degree.

I was there for that game against Ipswich as well :(. You only recently (well, 6 years or so) become a fan then? Or did you just never go to the games?

I was there for that game against Ipswich as well :(. You only recently (well, 6 years or so) become a fan then? Or did you just never go to the games?

I'm only 21 now, so I was 15 back then. I'd been to the football before, my first ever game was a boring game between West Brom and Sheff United. The reason I went to Leeds is because one of my mates got us some tickets on the supporters bus which goes from my local village. After that, I was hooked. Seen some highs, Arsenal away I'll never forget. Seen some lows, Preston at home where we lost 6-4 and Histon away where we lost 1-0.

I'm only 21 now, so I was 15 back then. I'd been to the football before, my first ever game was a boring game between West Brom and Sheff United. The reason I went to Leeds is because one of my mates got us some tickets on the supporters bus which goes from my local village. After that, I was hooked. Seen some highs, Arsenal away I'll never forget. Seen some lows, Preston at home where we lost 6-4 and Histon away where we lost 1-0.

Did you actually support Leeds until you went to a game though? I've seen plenty of lows :D. Losing to Watford and Doncaster in playoff finals was gutting, and also the Ipswich relegation game I mentioned. Highs? errr...erm...well we beat Yeovil on saturday? :D

Did you actually support Leeds until you went to a game though? I've seen plenty of lows :D. Losing to Watford and Doncaster in playoff finals was gutting, and also the Ipswich relegation game I mentioned. Highs? errr...erm...well we beat Yeovil on saturday? :D

Supported Leeds since I was a boy which, given my age, is some time ago. You've a lot more lows to look forward to :D

Well my family did, I'd say that I was a supporter but now a really commited one.

I wasn't there for Watford thank god, some say that Blackwell lost because Bates ordered him to (something to do with the admin money he would've owed). Some guy who goes with us said the tactics that day were so strange and random compared to the season.

Nicko, you don't see Leeds as a team on the up?!

Well my family did, I'd say that I was a supporter but now a really commited one.

I wasn't there for Watford thank god, some say that Blackwell lost because Bates ordered him to (something to do with the admin money he would've owed). Some guy who goes with us said the tactics that day were so strange and random compared to the season.

I don't think I could really give a good indication on what the tactics were like considering I was 10 at the time :D.

Into January 2014 and, in order to free up some cash, I took value for Sangweni & Giaretta. As a heads up, I used the cash to offer contracts to:

Hervin Ongenda, 18 yo ST PSG.

Matej Vydra, 21 yo ST, Udinese (on loan at West Brom).

Santiago Vergini 25 yo DC Estudiantes de La Plata.

Estudiantes agreed to sell Vergini now and Ongenda and Vydra arrive on 1.7.14.

Yes very much so, we're not flatlining, I'm optimistic tbh.

I don't think I could really give a good indication on what the tactics were like considering I was 10 at the time :D.

Haha, it could be a conspiracy or true, I'm unsure. I'm just glad that vile human being is out of our club.

Imagine:

Schmeichel

Byram - Lees - Wootton - Warnock

Snodgrass - Johnson- Howson/Delph - Gradel

Becchio - Beckford

Subs:

Kenny

Pearce

Mowatt

Austin

McCormack

Then people like Kilkenny, Diouf, White, oh god what did he do

Haha, it could be a conspiracy or true, I'm unsure. I'm just glad that vile human being is out of our club.

Imagine:

Schmeichel

Byram - Lees - Wootton - Warnock

Snodgrass - Johnson- Howson/Delph - Gradel

Becchio - Beckford

Subs:

Kenny

Pearce

Mowatt

Austin

McCormack

Then people like Kilkenny, Diouf, White, oh god what did he do

Ran the Club into the ground?

I think my first Leeds game was in 1986 so I've been around a while, but I've lived in the Midlands for the last 20 years so my ability to get to games has varied. These days I tend to do most of the aways and a few home games a season, I'll be at Charlton on Saturday.:D

Anyway, in terms of my save so far, I started in beta and decided to stick with most of the current squad in the first season to see how we'd do. Trouble is, I always play 4-4-2 (my approach is to decide a formation first and then get the players to make it work, rather than adapting a formation around the available players) and as is evident from the squad analysis in Macca's OP, the wide midfield options are somewhat limited.

First season I brought in a couple of wide men but actually ended up playing Diouf and White in wide midfield for most of the season. Austin and Murphy in central midfield (with Green also filling in when needed), Kenny in goal, Byram - Lees - Pearce - Warnock as the starting back 4 (with Wootton also getting plenty of games) and Hunt & McCormack up front.

And we did ok, finished 9th which was decent enough. Ross ended up with 22 goals for the season and Hunt and Diouf both got something like 12-13 assists. Not bad really but obviously not good enough!

The players I did bring in who did ok were:

Rasmus Thelander - DC - £160k (seen he's already been mentioned, I'd definitely recommend him to boost the defensive part of the squad)

Vincenzo Fiorillo - GK - £100k

Nikos Korovesis - ML - £250k

Jamie Walker - MR - £100k

Fredik Oldrup Jensen - MC - free.

But really all of them were used as back up in the first season, none played a major part.

So moving on the the 2nd season, time to get serious about promotion. I offloaded Kenny, Warnock, Diouf, Green, White, Hunt who had been regular starters in the 1st season and was also able to finally shift players like Brown, Hall, Smith and Peltier who I'd only managed to loan out previously. It was time to bring in some quality across the squad but also time for some of those 1st season additions to step up. Key signings going in to season 2 were:

Dejan Stojanovic - GK - free

Arnaud Souquet - MC/R - free

Rory Donnelly - ST - £700k

Ole Kristian Selnaes - ML/C/R - free

Cedric Makambu - ST - £275k

Andrew Robertson - DL - £400k

Daniel A. Pedersen - DR - £350k

Nadir Ciftci - ST - £550k

(And going through those transfers I've realised most were from either Scottish or Scandinavian clubs, which is in keeping with Leeds United tradition to some extent. None of Nicko's South Americans for me! (yet :p)

I'm now through to February 2015 and we're sitting 9 points clear at the top of the league after 30 games so a much improved performance. Current first choice 11 is:

----------------Fiorillo

---Byram - Lees - Thelander - Robertson

---Walker - Austin - Murphy - Korovesis

--------McCormack - Ciftci

Walker and Korovesis as regular starters in the wide midfield positions have both been excellent, they've really made the difference. McCormack is having another great season with 15 goals and 16 assists so far. And other players like Scott Wootton, Fredrik Oldrup Jensen, Ole Kristian Selnaes, Daniel A. Pedersen and Rory Donnelly have also all made big contributions as part of the squad.

So I'm already starting to think about what I'll need to do to the squad to prepare for my 3rd season which will almost certainly be in the Premier League. :D

Archived