FM14: Leeds United - The past is the past, Marching On Together again...

macca72

Hi guys just catching up on this thread. :)

I played McCormack as a poacher alongside Hunt as a deep lying forward (support) in a 4-4-2 in my first season and he got 22 goals in all competitions (but we only finished 9th in the league). 2nd season I had the same formation but Ross was used more in the Deep Lying Forward role as I'd brought in someone else with better finishing to play as Poacher, he got 17 goals and 18 assists in all competitions and we won the Championship. So I found he could be pretty effective in either a Poacher or Deep Lying Forward role in a 4-4-2.

blackdog - Congratulations on winning the FA cup and promotion, great season!

There does seem to be an issue with it taking a while to recognise that you've got promoted before the start of a new season, it does take until June or so which can be annoying when trying to sign players early. Plus reputation seems to have a bigger inpact on ability to sign players in FM14 so I really struggled to attract players first season back in the Premier League, but now I'm a couple of seasons in and established as Premier League team (plus have had a takeover so have more reasonable wage budgets) it's become a lot easier.

Quick update on my current season, my 3rd in the Premier League - after a 6th place finished last season we're now through to 1 January in the 2017/18 season and so far it's going pretty well:

be96f941-6e06-4156-b0ae-d2d6de875e44_zps29080815.jpg

Not bad considering my best player has been out injured since early November....

JuanAntonioTorres_OverviewAttributes_zps4022fb09.png

But with Torres hopefully back from injury by the end of January plus a bit of money to spend in the January window I'm hopeful of a strong 2nd half to the season!

Oh and in terms of finding regens Nicko - tbh I'm no good at spotting them early a lot of the time, I just do regular searches using filters looking for young players who already have decent attributes in the key areas for the roles I play in my team (e.g. looking for strikers aged 18 or under who already have finishing, composure, anticipation, pace etc at around 11-12 so they might develop into good poachers). I then scout them all and try to sign up the ones rated with 4.5 star or better potential. Sometimes I can get them pretty cheap, occasionally I end up having to pay up to £10m for them so I generally work on identifying 2-3 top prospects each season, probably half the time they end up not developing in to top players as scouting is always a bit hit and miss which is why it generally takes me 4-5 seasons to build a team of really good regens.

Thanks Coen. I'm pretty unhappy at my scouting efforts and this, together with a 'loads of money' takeover, has rather undermined my save for me. I'm loading up a new game and I'm going to try and get my scouting right. I also feel that I was just not aggressive enough with my transfer approach, for example I was left with players in the third season who I just could not move on. I also missed out on the 'it will take a really good offer' players - like Denis Stracqualursi -at the start of the game.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are doing so well, I am absolutely awful, after 15 games or so, 21st with 20+ points. I cannot get any unluckier since my best players, Espinosa, Murphy, McCormack and Byram are doing so average. Poleon is the main threat for the opposite defences as he kept banging one or two constantly. Unfortunately the game is on halt as I spilled beer on my laptop and I think it did some damage.

Ouch! Always said that Beer was bad for you :(

Hi everyone

First time on the forum and just got the game today. Hoping to do something with Leeds as I'm a life long supporter.

Glad this thread is here as I don't have a clue what I'm doing!! the last time I played FM was years ago!

Looks like there's loads of advice on here so I'll see how I get on, cheers

Hi everyone

First time on the forum and just got the game today. Hoping to do something with Leeds as I'm a life long supporter.

Glad this thread is here as I don't have a clue what I'm doing!! the last time I played FM was years ago!

Looks like there's loads of advice on here so I'll see how I get on, cheers

Great to see that your first post is on the Leeds Thread! :)

Welcome to the thread Grogger. :thup:

Cheers coen. I'm hoping this forum gives me a fighting chance on the game. I've sent my scouts out to see a few players you lot have recommended. It's taking ages to get started there's so much info

Anyone got any tips that I should use from the very start just to get me going?

Cheers coen. I'm hoping this forum gives me a fighting chance on the game. I've sent my scouts out to see a few players you lot have recommended. It's taking ages to get started there's so much info

Aye there's a lot to get to grips with if you've not played FM in a while, I tend to try not to make too many changes to the starting squad in the first season, set up a fairly simple 4-4 2 tactic and just go for a mid table finish while I figure stuff out, and then make the big changes to the squad in the 2nd season to push for promotion. But I know others like to completely overhaul the squad right from the start and just go for it 1st season, no messing about. :lol:

I also reckon it helps to settle on what formation you want to play early on and then build a squad around that, like I say for me it's always 4-4-2 which for the starting Leeds squad means getting a couple of wingers in asap, but others play much more adventurous formations with attacking midfielders/wingers etc.

Oh, and scouting Scandinavia is definitely recommended!

Aye there's a lot to get to grips with if you've not played FM in a while, I tend to try not to make too many changes to the starting squad in the first season, set up a fairly simple 4-4 2 tactic and just go for a mid table finish while I figure stuff out, and then make the big changes to the squad in the 2nd season to push for promotion. But I know others like to completely overhaul the squad right from the start and just go for it 1st season, no messing about. :lol:

I also reckon it helps to settle on what formation you want to play early on and then build a squad around that, like I say for me it's always 4-4-2 which for the starting Leeds squad means getting a couple of wingers in asap, but others play much more adventurous formations with attacking midfielders/wingers etc.

Oh, and scouting Scandinavia is definitely recommended!

Thanks very much! I've gone for the 4-4-2 so ill stick with that. I'll get my scouts into Scandinavia then!

Thanks very much! I've gone for the 4-4-2 so ill stick with that. I'll get my scouts into Scandinavia then!

If you're going 4-4-2 I'd look at Jamie Walker (Hearts) for a right sided winger, Nikos Korovesis (some greek club) for a left sided midfielder. They were probably my 2 key additions in the first season to make up for the lack of decent wide players in the starting squad.

And Scandinavia seems to offer great value for good quality Championship players this year - Rasmus Thelander, Fredrik Oldrup Jensen, Ole Kristian Selnaes are a few I signed. It's well worth checking out the Scandinavian talent thread for some other great potential signings for the Championship - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/365451-FM14-The-Scandinavia-Talent-Net-From-The-North-They-Come...

Oh and one more thing to add - playing 4-4-2 I've found playing a direct, counterattacking game particularly effective.

If you're going 4-4-2 I'd look at Jamie Walker (Hearts) for a right sided winger, Nikos Korovesis (some greek club) for a left sided midfielder. They were probably my 2 key additions in the first season to make up for the lack of decent wide players in the starting squad.

And Scandinavia seems to offer great value for good quality Championship players this year - Rasmus Thelander, Fredrik Oldrup Jensen, Ole Kristian Selnaes are a few I signed. It's well worth checking out the Scandinavian talent thread for some other great potential signings for the Championship - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/365451-FM14-The-Scandinavia-Talent-Net-From-The-North-They-Come...

Thanks! I'll check them out then. Just picked 442 cause it was pretty easy to organise with the existing team. Ill Have a look about walker and korovesis definitely

You've been really helpful

I'll stop going on about him now. ;-) (turned down a £5 million bid for him.!!)

So, Id be interested in who people have as scouts. I got Paul Montgomery in as Chief Scout straight away, plus Piwoworski, Patrick Andersson for Scandanavia and a couple of cheaper guys to send to East Europe etc. Then picked up Will Rodriguez off season to cover Sth America.

Players Ive signed are Adam Smith, Vokes, Jason Steele (Adnan wouldn't settle) and Jem Karacan.

All recommended by scouts and checked by Montgomery. Obviously as I follow this thread Ive seen them on here too so that helps.

So have others got similar scouts to me?

Charity Shield coming up v Man City in a few days.

Wish me luck, I think we will need it.

I'll stop going on about him now. ;-) (turned down a £5 million bid for him.!!)

So, Id be interested in who people have as scouts. I got Paul Montgomery in as Chief Scout straight away, plus Piwoworski, Patrick Andersson for Scandanavia and a couple of cheaper guys to send to East Europe etc. Then picked up Will Rodriguez off season to cover Sth America.

Players Ive signed are Adam Smith, Vokes, Jason Steele (Adnan wouldn't settle) and Jem Karacan.

All recommended by scouts and checked by Montgomery. Obviously as I follow this thread Ive seen them on here too so that helps.

So have others got similar scouts to me?

Charity Shield coming up v Man City in a few days.

Wish me luck, I think we will need it.

In addition to the Scouts you've suggested the following are worth looking at:

Ramon Maddoni, Argentina.

Luis Claudio Sanzi, Brazil.

Tomislav Milicevic, Serbia.

Good luck for the Charity Shield!

Restarted and signed many of the players I mentioned in post 22. Here are some others I picked up:

GK Sebastian Viera, former Uruguayan National GK now at Junior in Colombia (£20-£40K).

DR Richard, Vasco (£150kish) gets w/p.

DL Henrique, Vasco (free, arrives 26.10.13) gets w/p.

DC Lider Marmol (free) gets Paraguayan National team call up.

DMC Adam Vass (free, but spike his terms so he chooses Leeds).

ST Denis Stacqualursi (£350K) - thanks mpitts! Lucas Roggia, Internacional (£7K), Geraldo Antonio (free), Adam Nkusu Landu (free).

In addition to Nouri & Zivkovic, Alberto Cerri, ST & Mario Pugliese, DMC can also be signed on an 'approach to sign' basis at game start for compensation. Pugliese comes easily enough with a loyalty bonus sweetener, but Cerri needs a good package to opt for Leeds.

Started up a new save with Leeds on 14.1.3

Ins

Canuto - £175k

Tsepo Maisela - £275k

Renan Teixiera - £100k

Kasper Kusk - £475k

Bolanas - £200k

Marcelo - £1.9m

Javier Patino - £190

Outs

Jason Pearce - £2m (Hull)

Adam Drury - Free (Boro)

Michael Brown £100k - (Boro)

Aidy White - Season Loan (Future fee £850k) - (Reading)

Matt Smith - 3 month loan - (Doncaster)

Danny Pugh - £300k - Sheff. Wed

Michael Tonge - £60k - (St Johnstone)

Currently playing a basic 4-4-2. Two wide men as defensive wingers. Also using an advanced forward & a poacher.

Results so far

Leeds 2-0 Brighton - (Canuto & Og)

Leeds 3-1 Burton (LC1) - (Varney, Canuto, Patino)

Leicester 1-2 Leeds - (Teixera & McCormack)

Leeds 4-4 Sheff Wed - (Marcelo 2, McCormack 2)

Ipswich 1-3 Leeds - (McCormack 2, Teixera (Austin s/o))

Finally finished the season & won the league on the last day. Due to a bad rund of injuries I had to change to a 3-5-2 (3CB, 2CWB, 3CM & 2CF) and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. McCormack finished the season as my top scorer with 24 goals, Wootten got player of the season scoring 10 goals.

Marcelo ended up with 17 & Patino scored 13 including the goal that clinched the title over Reading. Murphy didn't get in the team when I started with a 442 but used him as an advanced playmaker in the midfield 3. He had a fantastic 2nd half of the season scoring 9 goals and plenty of assists. In January I signed Darcy Blake on a 3 month loan & when that expired signed Boyata on loan until the end of the season. Also brought in Stephen Kelly on Loan and got rid of Peltier. Finally, bought Pablo Aimar for £37k and £7k wages. To be honest hasn't been able to knock Murphy out of the Advance playmaker role but his stats are very good. Kusk couldn't get in the team and he went on loan to Villa where he was a starter, (Villa did end up bottom).

Finished the season with 96 points losing just 6 games

As for the tactic. the middle of the 3 centre backs was a ball playing defender, with the other two playing as centre backs. Mesielo & Byram were complete wing backs adding the width. The centre of the 3 central midfielders was an advances playmaker with a Ball winning midfielder on one side & a general centre mid the other. I used Marcelo as a complete Forward & McCormack as a poacher.

In July 2014 now and so far have signed

Tom Huddlestone £6.5m

Orhlan Ademi - £2.5m

Friar - £900k

Andrew Surman (Season Loan)

Outs

Noel Hunt - £1m

Kusk - £2.5m

Diouf - £69k

Varney - Free

Ashdown - Free

Murphy is now valued at £6m and has had a pretty good increase in stats

Looking forward to getting back on it tonight

I have England, Scotland, (4 div each) and top 2 of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland.

Added to that in Custom Top Div players Europe.

Approx 58000 players.

Coens setup (further back in this thread) is very similar and does the job, but with leagues in view only.

Set mine up just to see what the difference might be. Not really seen any difference in transfers like some claim though tbh.

As to Murphy, he was pretty good. Got a fair bit of game time with Austin getting yellow cards and never let me down.

Well what an end to my 3rd season in the Premier League. It had developed in to a 3 team race between us, Man City and Man Utd and in the end went right down to the last game of the season - we needed to win away at Arsenal and hope that Man Utd would only manage a draw away at Swansea...

But they didn't draw, they won 1-0. Final table -

26fa7ab1-71ed-4229-bbe0-b40bdebc0fd7_zps4f579d6a.jpg

Gutted! :lol:

Ah well, considered we'd gone from 6th in the previous season to almost winning it, I figure I'll settle for a Champions League spot and make the improvements to the squad that should mean we won't suffer the same dissappointment next year.

I reckon I need to bring in 4 top quality players over the coming summer so it's time to start trying to identify the players who will make the difference....

Well what an end to my 3rd season in the Premier League. It had developed in to a 3 team race between us, Man City and Man Utd and in the end went right down to the last game of the season - we needed to win away at Arsenal and hope that Man Utd would only manage a draw away at Swansea...

But they didn't draw, they won 1-0. Final table -

26fa7ab1-71ed-4229-bbe0-b40bdebc0fd7_zps4f579d6a.jpg

Gutted! :lol:

Ah well, considered we'd gone from 6th in the previous season to almost winning it, I figure I'll settle for a Champions League spot and make the improvements to the squad that should mean we won't suffer the same dissappointment next year.

I reckon I need to bring in 4 top quality players over the coming summer so it's time to start trying to identify the players who will make the difference....

Very nice indeed Coen.

Looking forward to seeing who you bring in :)

Very nice indeed Coen.

Looking forward to seeing who you bring in :)

Cheers Nicko. My next transfer window will be a key one I reckon.

And some consolation for missing out on the title; we had one more game a week later - the final of the Europa league...

f0724390-c189-4823-96e8-39a547b3e3b4_zps90fcd609.jpg

Always nice to get that first bit of silverware!

Cheers Nicko. My next transfer window will be a key one I reckon.

And some consolation for missing out on the title; we had one more game a week later - the final of the Europa league...

f0724390-c189-4823-96e8-39a547b3e3b4_zps90fcd609.jpg

Always nice to get that first bit of silverware!

Get in! Are you getting close to being a legend yet?

Well done on putting one over Man City blackdog, hope it bodes well for the Premier League for you. :thup:

I'm still trawling through potential signings in pre-season, having sold a few squad players I have something like £50m in transfer funds (and £100k/week spare wages) but can't seem to find anyone who would improve my current squad who would actually be willing to sign for us....

What leagues do you guys usually load along England?

And another problem I've encountered, Murphy is quite often ***** in my game, should I give him some time to adapt first?

England (6), Spain, Germany (2), Italy (2), France (4), Sweden (2), Norway (2), Brazil (2), Argentina (1), Portugal (1), Scotland (2), Wales (1), Ireland (1), Holland (2), Russia (1), Iceland (1), Belgium. (1)

Finally finished the season & won the league on the last day. Due to a bad rund of injuries I had to change to a 3-5-2 (3CB, 2CWB, 3CM & 2CF) and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. McCormack finished the season as my top scorer with 24 goals, Wootten got player of the season scoring 10 goals.

Marcelo ended up with 17 & Patino scored 13 including the goal that clinched the title over Reading. Murphy didn't get in the team when I started with a 442 but used him as an advanced playmaker in the midfield 3. He had a fantastic 2nd half of the season scoring 9 goals and plenty of assists. In January I signed Darcy Blake on a 3 month loan & when that expired signed Boyata on loan until the end of the season. Also brought in Stephen Kelly on Loan and got rid of Peltier. Finally, bought Pablo Aimar for £37k and £7k wages. To be honest hasn't been able to knock Murphy out of the Advance playmaker role but his stats are very good. Kusk couldn't get in the team and he went on loan to Villa where he was a starter, (Villa did end up bottom).

Finished the season with 96 points losing just 6 games

As for the tactic. the middle of the 3 centre backs was a ball playing defender, with the other two playing as centre backs. Mesielo & Byram were complete wing backs adding the width. The centre of the 3 central midfielders was an advances playmaker with a Ball winning midfielder on one side & a general centre mid the other. I used Marcelo as a complete Forward & McCormack as a poacher.

In July 2014 now and so far have signed

Tom Huddlestone £6.5m

Orhlan Ademi - £2.5m

Friar - £900k

Andrew Surman (Season Loan)

Outs

Noel Hunt - £1m

Kusk - £2.5m

Diouf - £69k

Varney - Free

Ashdown - Free

Murphy is now valued at £6m and has had a pretty good increase in stats

Looking forward to getting back on it tonight

Also now brought in Tom Carroll on a season loan from Spurs & decided to get rid of Aimar to Paok for £150. Steve Morison has also gone for £250k to Derby

Played 19 games & are sat in 13 still using the same tactic

Leeds 2-0 Reading

Swansea 4-0 Leeds

Leeds 1-0 Middlesbrough (League Cup 2)

Leeds 1-1 Southampton

Stoke 1-1 Leeds

Chelsea 3-2 Leeds

Leeds 1-2 Leicester (League Cup 3)

Leeds 0-3 Liverpool

Leeds 2-0 Spurs

Leeds 1-2 Man Utd

Newcaslte 3-1 Leeds

Cardiff 0-0 Leeds

Palace 2-3 Leeds

Leeds 1-0 Norwich

West Brom 0-0 Leeds

Leeds 0-0 Wigan

Everton 1-0 Leeds

Leeds 4-0 Fulham

Leeds 1-0 Sundreland

Arsenal 3-0 Leeds

Man City 3-0 Leeds

Yeovil 1-2 Leeds (FA Cup 3)

Just signed a new 3 year contact as well

Restarted and signed many of the players I mentioned in post 22. Here are some others I picked up:

GK Sebastian Viera, former Uruguayan National GK now at Junior in Colombia (£20-£40K).

DR Richard, Vasco (£150kish) gets w/p.

DL Henrique, Vasco (free, arrives 26.10.13) gets w/p.

DC Lider Marmol (free) gets Paraguayan National team call up.

DMC Adam Vass (free, but spike his terms so he chooses Leeds).

ST Denis Stacqualursi (£350K) - thanks mpitts! Lucas Roggia, Internacional (£7K), Geraldo Antonio (free), Adam Nkusu Landu (free).

In addition to Nouri & Zivkovic, Alberto Cerri, ST & Mario Pugliese, DMC can also be signed on an 'approach to sign' basis at game start for compensation. Pugliese comes easily enough with a loyalty bonus sweetener, but Cerri needs a good package to opt for Leeds.

Just kicking off the season. I added three further players:

Dedryck Boyata, DC at City £450K (seems to always get listed). If you can stand to do it, sell Lees for £3M and buy Boyata :)

Thanasis Karagounis, AMR Atromitos £150K bargain. Was tipped a lot on the thread last year.

Ezequiel Rascaldani ST Velez (£1.3M & clauses). Tipped elsewhere in the GP&TG and looks to have very good potential. I'm hoping that he will have a higher strike rate than Marcelo who was a little inconsistent tbh.

Edit

Rascaldani scores three in two. He looks to be a really good six yard box finisher.

It's easy to be promoted in the 1st season? What should be the main target (transfer)? I'm thinking in a 4-1-2-1-2 with no wingers.

Some good players tipped on here, have a read through the thread and see which one are in your game? The players I have signed are at posts 22 and 169 :)

****s sake, it seems that with every try I fail even worse. I think I'll take a break from Leeds and try to play with other clubs, until new updates are released.

I feel your pain. Embarrassingly I deleted my save in a rage. Despite being 6th in the Prem, I have never experienced such a run of conceding the same goals over and over again, set pieces & crosses.

I did have a backup of the end of my first season, so I *might* go back to it if I can bring myself to look at it a bit more objectively. On another note, good to see some people doing well with the mighty Leeds.

Archived