Playing as real life managers in Football Manager

I've often wondered why we're not able to do this, as I feel it would be a great addition to the game, if some want to play as Wenger, Fergie, Laudrup etc., instead of starting from scratch. Basically take over their manager profile.

Can someone explain why this feature isn't available??

Cheers

Personally I don't see the appeal. I don't want to be Brendan Rodgers but I do want his job.

You could just put your name in as Fergie (and stock up on chewing gum) if you really want to be him, or if you want to be Wenger then buy yourself a sleeping bag and wear it like a coat.

Personally I don't see the appeal. I don't want to be Brendan Rodgers but I do want his job.

You could just put your name in as Fergie (and stock up on chewing gum) if you really want to be him, or if you want to be Wenger then buy yourself a sleeping bag and wear it like a coat.

I think you might be missing my point, or I didn't make myself clear enough..

I was wondering why the additional option to take over the persona of a real life manager isn't present.. Of course we should still be able to make our own managers, but taking over a real one would be nice for "roleplaying" if you could call it that.. If one would do as you suggest, and "just put your name in as Fergie (and stock up on chewing gum)" then the real Sir Alex Ferguson would still be present in the game, but unemployed..

Maybe if SI Games made it so, if we typed in all the actual data, such as name, birthday and nationality, it would automatically enable us to usurp that manager profile.

I always roleplay as an actual retired player (or player I retire with the editor) or current staff member for the first club I take over. It feels more realistic that way as I just can't take the idea of myself taking over a club seriously... and leading Liverpool back to glory as Jamie Carragher just seems more satisfying and dramatic than doing it as some random fictional character. At the same time, it feels strange starting in 2012 with all of Rodgers signings but having Rodgers sacked before he even managed a game, so it would be nice to have the option just to start as a current manager as well... but without being treated as a brand new manager with none of the real manager's existing relationships.

Not everyone's cup of tea, obviously, but it would be one of those features that has no effect on people who choose not to use it.

No I saw your point, just don't like the idea myself.

I don't want to take on the persona of a real manager, I want to see myself as a football manager, with my own personality and style of play and to compete with the real managers.

I also don't feel you should get the chance to take on the persona of a real manager as you would also take on their history and achievements which you haven't earn yourself. I like starting from a clean slate.

I thought of this idea a few weeks back and wondered the same and I feel that it would offer the game a little extra. I think the real relationships should exist though.

For example:

- Under fire bosses like Arsene Wenger trying to win a trophy would throw you straight into the deep end. If you had his recent decade on FM you wouldn't still be in the job!

- Trying to resurrect an-ex managers career for instance Hoddle, Curbishley etc.

- Complete the 8-year contract as Pardew

LOL, very good.

I thought of this idea a few weeks back and wondered the same and I feel that it would offer the game a little extra. I think the real relationships should exist though.

For example:

- Under fire bosses like Arsene Wenger trying to win a trophy would throw you straight into the deep end. If you had his recent decade on FM you wouldn't still be in the job!

- Trying to resurrect an-ex managers career for instance Hoddle, Curbishley etc.

- Complete the 8-year contract as Pardew

Love this idea of the manager characters coming with their real life confidence!

No I saw your point, just don't like the idea myself.

I don't want to take on the persona of a real manager, I want to see myself as a football manager, with my own personality and style of play and to compete with the real managers.

I also don't feel you should get the chance to take on the persona of a real manager as you would also take on their history and achievements which you haven't earn yourself. I like starting from a clean slate.

Fair enough, you don't want it and wouldn't use it, why do you feel that other people who like the idea shouldn't be able to do it? Their having the history and achievements of a real life manager affects you how?

I don't see the difference between that and setting your history as "international footballer." Would you not play Super Mario because you haven't earned your own plumbing license?

Fair enough, you don't want it and wouldn't use it, why do you feel that other people who like the idea shouldn't be able to do it? Their having the history and achievements of a real life manager affects you how?

People could come on here bragging that they'd won 20 league titles when Fergie did most of it for them.

I don't see the difference between that and setting your history as "international footballer." Would you not play Super Mario because you haven't earned your own plumbing license?

Yes, because the Super Mario series has always attempted to produce the perfect plumbing simulation game. :rolleyes:

People could come on here bragging that they'd won 20 league titles when Fergie did most of it for them.

So because some anonymous person might say something on the internet that they could just as easily say without such a feature in place?

I have to be honest, I really can't see why that should be a concern for anyone.

Yes, because the Super Mario series has always attempted to produce the perfect plumbing simulation game. :rolleyes:

OK then, so starting as the UK in a game like Hearts of Iron is somehow morally wrong because you haven't earned Churchill's prior achievements? Victoria II should be banned for letting any common no-mark take on the good name of Abraham Lincoln?

I absolutely understand why some people might not enjoy such a feature, but I really don't get the urge to stretch "I wouldn't use it" to "No one should have it because I don't like it." That just seems like arbitrary badwrongfun-ism to me.

And?

OK then, so starting as the UK in a game like Hearts of Iron is somehow morally wrong because you haven't earned Churchill's prior achievements? Victoria II should be banned for letting any common no-mark take on the good name of Abraham Lincoln?

My game of Mount and Blade has now lost all meaning, I'm not the son of an impoverished noble. I'm just a cheat... :(

Jeez, I don't get all the "I don't want to play as a real life manager" comments... I'm not asking SI Games to replace the current "create your own manager", I'm asking them to supplement it with additional gaming options.. No one will force you to use it, but it could be fun to have the option for "roleplaying" or whatever you want to call it.

I often remove Guardiola from the DB, holiday for a year then apply for jobs he's likely to take (ie. Bayern Munich) and then after a few years with them I'd look for another club, maybe PSG, United etc.

I would never choose to manage as a real life manager I like building my own legacy too much but I think a few people would like to do this, so if it was simple enough to implement I see now reason why it shouldn't be added.

I've often wondered why we're not able to do this, as I feel it would be a great addition to the game, if some want to play as Wenger, Fergie, Laudrup etc., instead of starting from scratch. Basically take over their manager profile.

Can someone explain why this feature isn't available??

Cheers

Great idea as an added extra. Have you put it in the suggestions thread for FM2014.

I absolutely understand why some people might not enjoy such a feature, but I really don't get the urge to stretch "I wouldn't use it" to "No one should have it because I don't like it." That just seems like arbitrary badwrongfun-ism to me.

Wow, I think you just invented a new "ism"! :lol:

Wouldn't use it myself but no harm in adding it for those that would. I think due to the lack of options in press conferences and media interaction (among other things) that you don't really develop much of a character or personality that separates you from any other manager so other than your name being Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger etc i'm not sure what it would add to the game.

Personally I wouldn't choose to play as a real life manager, I would love to be able to set my own managers playing history.

Agreed - would stop me having to start a new game 20 times until I got an International profile I was happy with (I'm a striker so 72 caps, 0 goals makes no sense lol).

I've thought about this plenty of times, and would love for it to become an option - assume a managers identity!

As stated, it's just an option. You don't have to take it up, so it makes no difference if someone doesn't like the idea. Wonder if it could be implemented.

I've thought about this plenty of times, and would love for it to become an option - assume a managers identity!

As stated, it's just an option. You don't have to take it up, so it makes no difference if someone doesn't like the idea. Wonder if it could be implemented.

I don't think it would require any major re-work of the code to make it possible..

Also, as a sidenote to address "I can't see Fergie getting some poor team relegated from the Premier League" if you chose to play as a real life manager, you'd also be in charge of the team they manage irl, so no Fergie in West Ham, Stoke etc.

As is so often the way with FM, you'd have to consider the licensing costs, or whether it would be legal at all. They'd probably need to seek permission if users were to "assume" their identity in game. That would either be disallowed or come at a cost.

The world today, eh?

Well, they already worked around the license issues regarding the German national teams etc., by making the users actively delete certain files.. They could do the same here.. However, I don't think it has anything to do with that, since they appear with their real names already, so it's not a Jens Mustermann (Oliver Kahn) case as far as I see it :)

Archived