FM13: AFC Ajax - No club for old men

Wendsill

Welcome to the FM2013 AFC Ajax thread, enjoy.

20100427093533_ajax_logo.png

History:

Founded on March 18, 1900 AFC Ajax is one of the largest and most storied clubs in European football. After their founding and acceptance into Dutch Football Ajax spent ten seasons in the country's second division before earning promotion for the 1911 season. The move to the first division did not last long though as just three seasons later the club was relegated for the first and only time in its illustrious history.

The fate of the club quickly changed with the arrival of trainer Jack Reynolds who would spend 35 years at the helm of the team. Under the leadership of this legendary coach Ajax won their first National Championship in 1918. From that point on Ajax could always be found at or near the top of the Dutch table. It was also Reynolds and his revolutionary training methods that built the foundation for what has now become the world famous Ajax Youth Training Program.

The historic win of 1918 was the first of what currently stands at an astonishing 29 league titles for the Amsterdam club. Five of those magical wins came in the decade of the 1930's when the dominance of the red and white was at one its highest points ever. The 1930's were also a special decade for the club as in 1934 they moved into what would become known as "De Meer." Their new stadium where which legends would be born. It was there that Ajax would call home fore over 60 years and be the place that the club would come to dominate Dutch football and grow into a power across Europe.

Ajax' first taste of European competition came in 1961 when the club became the first from the Netherlands to participate in the European Cup Winners Cup. Success on the European front loomed in the future as the club found a place in the 1969 Cup final before bringing home their first title in 1971. Starting with the magical victory in 1971 Ajax went on to win three consecutive European Champions Cups. In 1972, led by the world famous Johan Cruijff had one of the best seasons ever by a professional football team winning the National Championship, the Dutch Cup, the European Champions Cup and the World Cup.

"De Meer" was also the place where Ajax would develop it's world famous youth training program and develop some of the worlds best football players, a philosophy that is even more important to their success today.

The success of the late 1960's and early 1970's although impossible to duplicate was followed up by 25 more years of success for the club that included 11 National Championships in the final quarter of the century. The success was highlighted by another exciting venture in Europe as Ajax again became European and world champions in 1995.

Ajax definitively bids farewell to De Meer stadium one year after winning Champions League. The club moves to the much larger Amsterdam ArenA. The stadium is Ajax’s home base from that moment. The move is difficult for many Ajax fans and members, especially considering how many successes were celebrated in the old, trusted Ajax stadium over the previous 62 years. For coaches, players, and fans alike, De Meer had become a home away from home through the years. As Ajax experiences successes in the ArenA, an Ajax feeling steadily grows in the stadium.

In addition to the stadium, Ajax’s world famous youth academy also got a new home. The academy moved from Voorland to de Toekomst. The complex is a stone’s throw away from the Amsterdam ArenA. The Ajax players of the future are hard at work there. Wesley Sneijder, Urby Emanuelson, Rafael van der Vaart, Maarten Stekelenburg and Gregory van der Wiel are among the many players who were trained at de Toekomst. Since the arrival of coach Martin Jol, the first team also practices at the modern sports facility, which has an inspiring view of the ArenA.

With Jol coaching, Ajax experiences a good 2009-2010 year. Unfortunately, they miss the title by one point, but Ajax’s results are good. After 17 home games, the team only has 4 goals against (!). Ajax breaks not only the club record, but the Eredivisie record. In total, 106 goals are scored. The top scorer of Ajax and the Eredivisie is Luis Suarez. The Uruguayan player scores 35 times in 34 Eredivisie matches. The cherry on the cake is the KNVB Cup win, after a double header against Feyenoord. For the eighteenth time in history, Ajax wins the ‘silver pine cone’.

The outstanding performances were promising for the 2010-2011 season. But on December 6 2010, after a series of disappointing results, Martin Jol and Ajax announce the end of their partnership. Frank de Boer takes over, and under his leadership, Ajax de-thrones FC Twente as national champion in the final match of the season. Ajax wins the title for the thirtieth time. The following season Ajax secures the title again.

Now it is your time to bring glory to the Club!!!!!!

Honours:

National champions:

1918, 1919, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1937, 1939, 1947, 1957, 1960, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2002, 2004, 2011, 2012

Divisional champions First Class:

1918, 1919, 1921, 1927, 1928, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1939, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952

National Cup winners:

1917, 1943, 1961, 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1979, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2006, 2007,2010

Intertoto

Dutch Super Cup:

1993, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007

European Champions Cup/Champions League (from 1956):

1971, 1972, 1973, 1995

European Cup winners’ Cup:

UEFA Cup (from 1972):

European Super Cup (from 1972):

1972, 1973, 1995

World cup (from 1930):

1972, 1995

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When taking over Ajax and having the talks with the chairman, you're asked to play attacking, attractive football. To be fair, with the current squad you have to attack since the defending options are limited.

The league should be the number one priority, the squad lacks experience, but has alot of potential. If you manage to keep the squad together for a couple of seasons alot a good can happen in Amsterdam.

The reason I choose for this title is that the future for Ajax lies in the youth set up an the break through of said youth.

Keep us updated on how your save with Ajax faires! Enjoy.

Records

Highest League Attendance -

Highest Gate Receipts -

Highest Average Attendance -

Biggest Win:

Eredivisie -

KNVB Cup -

Champions League -

UEFA League -

Biggest Defeat -

Highest scoring game -

Most goals scored in one league season -

Least goals conceded in one league season -

Largest goal difference at end of season -

Highest points tally in one season -

Most games won in a row -

Most games without defeat -

Most games without conceding a goal

Consecutive Titles:

Eredivisie Titles in a row -

Champions League Titles in a row -

KNVB Cup Titles in a row -

Most Goals in one season (league) -

Most Goals in one season (overall) -

Most Goals in a Match:

Eredivisie -

KNVB Cup -

European Game -

Most Assists in one season (league) -

Most Assists in one season (Overall) -

Most MotM awards in one season -

Worst Discipline in one season -

Most League Apps for Club -

Most League Goals for Club -

Youngest Player -

Oldest Player -

Fastest Goal -

Fastest hat-trick -

Youngest goalscorer -

Highest average rating over 1 season (30 games+ needed) -

Started a save as well, gives me a reason to bump this thread :).

I've selected the following leagues:

Dutch, Belgian, German, English, Scottish, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, Turkish, Portuguese, Argetinian, Brasilian, Swedish and Norwegian.

Tactics I use is the default 4-3-3, although I've slightly tweaked it.

First XI:

GK: Vermeer

DR: van Rhijn

DC: Alderweireld

DC: Moisander

DL: Blind (since you start with Boilesenout for 5 months)

MC: Poulsen

MC: de Jong

AMC: Eriksen

AMR: Sulejmani

AML: Babel

ST: Sigporsson

I'll try to post an update per month of playtime, to keep the posts not to long.

Nice thread, Wendsill, and good luck with your save.

The squad looks a lot weaker this year after a number of key players left in the summer. Have you got any transfer targets in mind? (Another centre-back and a striker, for example.)

Edit: Also, where is Viktor Fischer?

Thanks, I've just seen I forgot to include Fischer in the talents. I'll edit him in when I get the chance.

The squad is indeed somewhat weaker if you compare it with last years, but it's not weaker in the sense of available players, only alot weaker in terms of experience. At least in my humble opinion.

I've bought Muniesa, he was transfer listed on the last day of the transfer window (nice change there from SI), to act as CB-cover. Another striker I don't think is necesary, since Babel/de Jong and Schone can act as cover for the striker position.

The choices you have there are almost limitless.

Nice thread, Wendsill, and good luck with your save.

The squad looks a lot weaker this year after a number of key players left in the summer. Have you got any transfer targets in mind? (Another centre-back and a striker, for example.)

Edit: Also, where is Viktor Fischer?

The squad does look a lot weaker indeed (which, imo, unfortunately reflects the reality), but the talents' PA does seem to have gotten a (much deserved) boost. It is going to be an interesting challenge to figure out which talents will develop into first-team regulars and which will end up in mediocrity.

Thanks, I've just seen I forgot to include Fischer in the talents. I'll edit him in when I get the chance.

The squad is indeed somewhat weaker if you compare it with last years, but it's not weaker in the sense of available players, only alot weaker in terms of experience. At least in my humble opinion.

I've bought Muniesa, he was transfer listed on the last day of the transfer window (nice change there from SI), to act as CB-cover. Another striker I don't think is necesary, since Babel/de Jong and Schone can act as cover for the striker position.

The choices you have there are almost limitless.

The squad does look a lot weaker indeed (which, imo, unfortunately reflects the reality), but the talents' PA does seem to have gotten a (much deserved) boost. It is going to be an interesting challenge to figure out which talents will develop into first-team regulars and which will end up in mediocrity.

Both good points. The team is lacking in experience and leadership but the quality of young talent coming through is very exciting. The squad looks strong enough to win the Eredivisie but might struggle in Europe for the first season or two, I imagine.

Both good points. The team is lacking in experience and leadership but the quality of young talent coming through is very exciting. The squad looks strong enough to win the Eredivisie but might struggle in Europe for the first season or two, I imagine.

Agreeing with you there, but the struggle in Europe will remain I'm afraid. I noticed yesterday that there is a new tab in th part where you can see how the board thinks of you.

It's called boardpromises and one of the things it contains is "gives youth a chance", the other one is "plays atttractive attacking football", which I think is a nice touch.

Agreeing with you there, but the struggle in Europe will remain I'm afraid. I noticed yesterday that there is a new tab in th part where you can see how the board thinks of you.

It's called boardpromises and one of the things it contains is "gives youth a chance", the other one is "plays atttractive attacking football", which I think is a nice touch.

It is indeed. On that note, over the last 3 versions of FM I've taken over Ajax with the aim of winning every prize with just own youth. So far I've succeeded in that every year, but if the PA on the current players is any indication of the regen quality, things might be quite a bit easier on FM13 in comparison to 11/12.

For those who are interested, the þ letter in Kolbeinn Sigþórsson is pronounced like the "th" in the word "thanks" and "think" and the ó is pronounced like the "o" in the word "over". Just thought I would mention it since it frustates me having players in my squad with names I don't know how to pronounce.

Source: I'm Icelandic :)

For those who are interested, the þ letter in Kolbeinn Sigþórsson is pronounced like the "th" in the word "thanks" and "think" and the ó is pronounced like the "o" in the word "over". Just thought I would mention it since it frustates me having players in my squad with names I don't know how to pronounce.

Source: I'm Icelandic :)

In the Netherlands, his surname is usually pronounced with a harsh g and a rather hard t.

I find it nice to see that player values are a bit more realistic, i.e. Eriksen now being valued at 14m instead of the 5-7m (iirc).

It is indeed. On that note, over the last 3 versions of FM I've taken over Ajax with the aim of winning every prize with just own youth. So far I've succeeded in that every year, but if the PA on the current players is any indication of the regen quality, things might be quite a bit easier on FM13 in comparison to 11/12.

Just loaded up an Ajax game to check the team out (waiting for the release patch before playing any matches), and even the reserve and youth teams are stacked full of 3-4+ star youngsters. Never seen a team with such good prospects from the beginning. Based on the kind of football they are producing at the moment (in RL), and if the researcher is anywhere near spot on, Ajax look set for a resurgence in the next 5 years if they can keep some of the team together!

Really looking forward to starting my save with Ajax, between the outstanding youth products available and my addiction to recruiting Scandanavian talent it looks like a real long term adventure ahead.

What's the general feeling on Eriksen, do you do your upmost to keep him or do you go along with the recent Ajax way and sell him if the offer is substantial? Due to the lack of finds Ajax will produce I feel I won't have young Eriksen in my side for long, shame aswell as he's been on of my favourite young up comers.

As promised, hereby the Viktor Fischer screenshot

ViktorFischer_Profile.png

Thanks. He looks like a top-class inside forward in the making. And I love players who are 'either' footed.

Just loaded up an Ajax game to check the team out (waiting for the release patch before playing any matches), and even the reserve and youth teams are stacked full of 3-4+ star youngsters. Never seen a team with such good prospects from the beginning. Based on the kind of football they are producing at the moment (in RL), and if the researcher is anywhere near spot on, Ajax look set for a resurgence in the next 5 years if they can keep some of the team together!
Really looking forward to starting my save with Ajax, between the outstanding youth products available and my addiction to recruiting Scandanavian talent it looks like a real long term adventure ahead.

What's the general feeling on Eriksen, do you do your upmost to keep him or do you go along with the recent Ajax way and sell him if the offer is substantial? Due to the lack of finds Ajax will produce I feel I won't have young Eriksen in my side for long, shame aswell as he's been on of my favourite young up comers.

Ditto, Hoarau, what DreamsDefined says about the youth prospects sounds very promising.

And you've gotta hang on to Eriksen, surely? He's the cream of the crop.

Thanks. He looks like a top-class inside forward in the making. And I love players who are 'either' footed.

Ditto, Hoarau, what DreamsDefined says about the youth prospects sounds very promising.

And you've gotta hang on to Eriksen, surely? He's the cream of the crop.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd like to hang on to Eriksen as long as possible but I wonder when the interest comes do people just decide to follow Ajax ethos and move him on for a good fee, ala Van Der Weil & Vertonghen. If someone offers my £20-£30m for him ill have to take it, that's a few season transfer budget at Ajax for me.

Replacing him would be the difficult task, but I already find it hard to get a tactic to be effectual while trying to get the most out of him, I may not replace him and just go with another CM or Stk.

What are the budgets like for the first season?

Can't wait to start when that full release hits!

Transfer Budget for first season is about 10million euro's with a 265k wage budget.

I use him as an AMC in a 4-3-3 tactic, posted as #3 in this thread. Good luck with your save.

10M is a decent transfer budget for the first season i think i will be spend most of that on the defense . I will try keep Eriksen for the first season but offer around €30m will be very tempting . Already drawing up a list of players that i will be looking to get . Can't wait till next Friday:D

Transfer Budget for first season is about 10million euro's with a 265k wage budget.

I use him as an AMC in a 4-3-3 tactic, posted as #3 in this thread. Good luck with your save.

Ah cheers man, not a bad budget for that league.

What kind of targets are you guys eying? I'm thinking of Jonas Okore(sp?) the CB from the Danish league and also there's a striker from Copenhagen, Andreas Cornelius(sp?).

Gonna stick to using the Ajax products and brining in young Dutch, Belgian, some South American and definetly the quality Scandinavian youngsters.

What kind of targets are you guys eying? I'm thinking of Jonas Okore(sp?) the CB from the Danish league and also there's a striker from Copenhagen, Andreas Cornelius(sp?).

Gonna stick to using the Ajax products and brining in young Dutch, Belgian, some South American and definetly the quality Scandinavian youngsters.

I will be looking for a left back any idea's who i should go for ? Also a centre back and a holding midfielder someone like Andre Jali , will be keeping a eye on Dennis Praet aswell

Weird, for my transfer policy I'm thinking along similar lines: young Dutch, Belgian, South African and Scandinavians. Those two players are good shouts. I agree that a new centre-back and striker are needed, but I think players such as Stefan Strandberg from Rosenborg and Nicklas Helenius from AaB would fit the possession-based tactic I'm planning to play.

I'm also thinking of bringing in a DLP and a DR. I have a few players in mind but that'll probably change when I actually get the game!

I will be looking for a left back any idea's who i should go for ? Also a centre back and a holding midfielder someone like Andre Jali , will be keeping a eye on Dennis Praet aswell

I saw on someone's Ajax thread on another site that they managed to buy Erik Pieters for less than £5m. Obviously the fans weren't happy at first but I think they got over it. For the centre-back take a look at Stefan Strandberg, who I mentioned above, a bargain at £250k. A SS of him can be seen here, post #4.

I've actually got Strandberg & Helenius on my notepad next to my PC, both look like great acquisitions.

I've looked at Mads Alback for the DMC position, maybe get Poulsen to tutor.

Anyone think Rasmus Falk could offer something as backup to Eriksen?

I would also like it the manager you take over from wasn't automatically negative towards the club as of he'd been sacked, as I would be really keen to bring de Boer back to the club as Director of Football eventually.

Insua is available for approximately 1m, question is whether he wants to play for Ajax though.

I've actually got Strandberg & Helenius on my notepad next to my PC, both look like great acquisitions.

I would also like it the manager you take over from wasn't automatically negative towards the club as of he'd been sacked, as I would be really keen to bring de Boer back to the club as Director of Football eventually.

Kara was an absolute bargain in FM12 and by the looks of it he still is. Otherwise Jali could be an interesting option. Also, you could check out Mendes da Silva at Salzburg (bit older at 29) and Casemiro (might cost you a bit).

It's a shame that on the Netherlands quick-start none of the players we've talked about buying are on there. :(

It's a shame that on the Netherlands quick-start none of the players we've talked about buying are on there. :(

Aw really? Bad times, at least on the full release you can customise you DB.

I've been lucky in that I've been able to run a decent amount of leagues on the beta & found some relative unknown/talent.

Ill do a wee mini update come the end of pre season,

So far i've brought in :

- Joel Pohjanpalo : £100k

- Oskar Hiljemark : £1.5m

- William Atashkadeh : £675K

Looking at bringing in Jesper Juelsgard(LB), Nicklas Helenius(stk) or Andreas Cornellius(STK). Scouted Jores Okore & Stefan Strandberg for the CB spot, i like the look of Bashkim Kadril aswell.

Been trying to work out a resonable deal for Ruben Yttergard Jensen & possibly Bjorn Vleminckx.

Hi guys, just wondering what formation people are using for Ajax so far. Having looked at the squad there is plenty of natural AMC's in there which leads me to wanting to use a 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMC's. However, I also want to try to keep close to the formation Ajax play in IRL which is a sort of 4-3-3. I've looked at my tactics screen and worked out there are 6 different variations of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 that I could potentially use but am not 100% sure which one. If required I can post screenshots of the different formations I have looked at if you feel it would help with which one may be best to choose.

Hi guys, just wondering what formation people are using for Ajax so far. Having looked at the squad there is plenty of natural AMC's in there which leads me to wanting to use a 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMC's. However, I also want to try to keep close to the formation Ajax play in IRL which is a sort of 4-3-3. I've looked at my tactics screen and worked out there are 6 different variations of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 that I could potentially use but am not 100% sure which one. If required I can post screenshots of the different formations I have looked at if you feel it would help with which one may be best to choose.

I agree with you on the 3 AMCs front, that's definitely a formation I'm planning to experiment with on the demo. Screenshots would be great, RHESLOP.

I think the squad at the start of the game lends itself well to this formation, due to the vast depth of natural AMCs and DMs and a lack of natural MCs. My hypothetical midfield looks like this:

ajaxtactics.png

DMR - Poulsen (Anchor man) / Youngster (Bonevacia / Sporkslede / van den Boomen)

DML - Blind (Deep Lying Playmaker) / Enoh (Anchor man)

AMCR - Sulejmani (Inside Forward) / Serero (Attacking Midfielder)

AMC - Eriksen (Advanced Playmaker) / Andersen (Advanced Playmaker)

AMCL - de Jong (Inside Forward) / Schone (Advanced Playmaker)

The only potential pitfalls I see with this formation (as has been discussed in the Chelsea team thread) is a lack of width and, at least for my short passing philosophy, a noticable gap between the AMCs and the DMs. The poor quality of the Ajax full-backs at the start of the game makes this first problem a real worry, but setting the 'width' setting relatively wide and instructing the outer AMCs to 'Move into channels' should hopefully counter this. And the decent passing ability of Poulsen and Blind should mean that getting the ball to the AMCs won't be a problem, and giving Eriksen and Blind support duties should hopefully reduce the gap.

Of course, this is all just a theory in my head that I haven't tested on the demo and could fail miserably when translated to FM. :p The standard 4-2-3-1 Deep should be a reliable second tactic anyway.

Edit: Added a screenshot to demonstrate what I meant. Not sure why I didn't just do that in the first place...

Season Update

July and August 2012

Friendlies:

Ajax 3-2Ajax reserves

Ajax 3-1 Erfurt

Ajax 1-0 Rodez Aveyron Football

Ajax 3-3 Anji

Ajax 1-0 Wigan

Ajax 2-3 Rayo

Ajax 1-0 Everton

Overall a decent preseason, with plenty of matches and chance to build up some fitness for the upcoming season.

First real test is the match for the Supercup.

Ajax 3-1 PSV:We did not dominate the game, but converted the chances we got into goals easily.

Good start of the season, first prize is in.

First competive match is in Groningen,

(August 04)Groningen 1-4 Ajax: We dominate throughout the match and score easily.

(August 19)Roda 1-2 Ajax, another good win. We failed to convert the chances we got into goals.

(August 25)Ajax 4-0 NEC, first homematch of the season is good for another win. We seem to score easily.

My first few months as the manager have been hectic, made 2 signings to strengthen my squad. Muniesa came on the last day of the transfermarket. (really love how the reworked that) and I signes Praet from Anderlecht, as I see in him a possible replacement for Eriksen on the long term.

All players in their last year of contract have been given a new one, except for Sulejmani. He's my top earner but far from my top player and managed to get himself injurd for a couple of months during pre season. Seriously doubting whether he gets a new deal.

Any opinions?

Season Update

July and August 2012

Friendlies:

Ajax 3-2Ajax reserves

Ajax 3-1 Erfurt

Ajax 1-0 Rodez Aveyron Football

Ajax 3-3 Anji

Ajax 1-0 Wigan

Ajax 2-3 Rayo

Ajax 1-0 Everton

Overall a decent preseason, with plenty of matches and chance to build up some fitness for the upcoming season.

First real test is the match for the Supercup.

Ajax 3-1 PSV:We did not dominate the game, but converted the chances we got into goals easily.

Good start of the season, first prize is in.

First competive match is in Groningen,

(August 04)Groningen 1-4 Ajax: We dominate throughout the match and score easily.

(August 19)Roda 1-2 Ajax, another good win. We failed to convert the chances we got into goals.

(August 25)Ajax 4-0 NEC, first homematch of the season is good for another win. We seem to score easily.

My first few months as the manager have been hectic, made 2 signings to strengthen my squad. Muniesa came on the last day of the transfermarket. (really love how the reworked that) and I signes Praet from Anderlecht, as I see in him a possible replacement for Eriksen on the long term.

All players in their last year of contract have been given a new one, except for Sulejmani. He's my top earner but far from my top player and managed to get himself injurd for a couple of months during pre season. Seriously doubting whether he gets a new deal.

Any opinions?

Great result against PSV, I got turned over 2-4 in that game, haven't really settled on a formation just yet.

I haven't renewed his contract either, the wage he was asking for is far beyond his ability, Babel signed on long term which I'm very happy about.

Unusually for me I've found 3 very promising youngsters but for a change they're not Scandanavia or Africian but Dutch, 2 are from FC Utrecht & 1 from NAC Breda, can't remember there names but ill post up some pics when I get home fro Jiu-jitsu.

Archived