FM13: AFC Ajax - No club for old men

Wendsill

Nice development there! :thup:

Sadly, his first team chances were limited for me. I was trying to push Klaassen, Vissers, Boccara and Van den Boomen at the same time, while training Alderweireld to play the DM role aswell.

Van Rhjn's starting to generate a lot of interest. I think it's going to be interesting to see if I can keep hold of him, Eriksen and Alderweireld over the next few seasons.

I'm hoping Tete, Van den Boomen can jump in at right back and DM. Though it will be very difficult to replace what Eriksen provides from deep (wasted as a AM, in my opinion).

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Van Rhijn seems to be a victim of "big club syndrome" in my save. I sold him to ManU in 2014, but he's having troubles to prove himself there. He was called several times to Holland NT when he was at Ajax, but since leaving he's dropped out from national selection too. Christian Eriksen enjoys the best of times in ManCity though - being their key attacking midfielder.

Doesnt the Dutch league get "boring" after a few seasons if your policy is to stick around with the same team throughout your save?

It all depends on how you play and enjoy the game.

First, the Dutch league knows no restrictions. The only exception is signing players younger than 18 from non-EU nations. If you start with Ajax, domestically, it will take no more than two seasons tops to be the undisputed best team. In Europe, however, things are different. The Champions League is still challenging. It's also challenging to keep certain key players. Once your top players really start making an impact, bigger international sides will try to poach them.

Generally, those players enjoying a long Ajax game, or a Dutch team in general, are the ones who enjoy scouting and developing young players.

I personally play with self imposed rules, such as signing only Dutch players or players with an Ajax background. I find this keeps the game both challenging and interesting. I'm currently in the 2018/2019 season and while I don't see myself playing this save anymore, it's because FM14 is almost there and not because the save itself is boring.

Thanks for that. How did you fare in European football considering the above restrictions?

My results were as follows. Won the Dutch Super Cup more often than not, so not mentioned:

First season:

2nd place Eredivisie

First Round Knockout Champions League

Second season:

1st place Eredivisie

Dutch Cup

3rd in group, Champions League

First Round Knockout Europa League

Third Season:

1st place Eredivisie

Dutch Cup

Semi Finals Champions League

Fourth Season:

1st place Eredivisie

Winner Champions League

Fifth Season:

Euro Super Cup

1st place Eredivisie

Club World Champions

Dutch Chup

First Knockout Round Champions League

Sixth Season:

1st place Eredivisie

Semi Finals Champions League

Edit:

My team looks as follows:

Goalkeepers: Regen; van der Hart

Right back: Regen; van Rhijn

Right center defense: Regen; Regen

Left center defense: Regen; Denswil

Left back; Regen; Boilesen

Defensive Midfield: Regen; Regen

Right Center Midfield: Regen; Regen

Left Center Midfield; Regen; Regen

Right Winger; Regen; Kishna

Left Winger: Fischer; Regen

Striker: Regen; Regen

Regens are all Dutch. You can play quite a long time with the players already at the club. I only had to let Eriksen and Alderweireld go, they insisted on transfer and I couldn't keep them any more. For a long time, my starting line-up was as follows:

Vermeer; van Rhijn, Alderweireld, Denswil, Boilesen; Poulsen (You do need a new defensive midfielder), Serero, Eriksen; Babel, de Jong, Fischer

Agree with Chef Raekwon. The Eredivise is quite easy, especially as the AI Teams aren't managed that well (PSV haven't replaced Toivonen, Strootman, Van Bommel or Narsingh on my game. Their most important players.) Yet are still one of the stronger sides in the league.

Europe is definitely a challenge. You're pretty much guaranteed to have at least 2 sides better than you in your group. (Real Madrid and Dortmund this year, for me. :(). Then obviously you have your knock-out stage.

The biggest part of an Ajax game is maintaining success, even as the bigger clubs come after your players. I've made an effort to keep signings to a minimum. I've only signed Litmanen, Strandberg, Nekounam and Douglas for my first team (For a grand total of about £900k.). The rest has gone in to acquiring Dutch, Belgian, Scandinavian and African youth talent.

My starting 11 for the most part of the game has been;

Vermeer; van Rhijn, Strandberg, Douglas, Blind; Alderweireld, De Jong, Eriksen; Fischer, Hoesen; Sigporsson

Just reached January. The Eredivisie's harder this season; currently third, 2 points behind AZ and Feyenoord.

Qualified from our CL Group in 2nd place. We were the first in our group to qualify, but I chose to rest players in our last two games, costing us points. Toppled Madrid twice though!

Four players have signed;

George Anderson

A combative midfielder from New York. Former team mate of our other American star, Craig Harkes. Boasts a strong range of stats, and his 11 passing aside, is on the fringes of our first team.

Ondrej Prochazka

18 Year old Midfielder from Viktoria Plzen. Ondrej already has 2 Caps in the Czech side. A fast, technical midfielder, who also boasts very strong defensive stats (12 in every key defensive attribute). He's a bit lightweight, but he can work on that.

Motlatsi Pheko

20 Year Old South African Forward is possibly the best regen I've seen so far. Boasts 17 Finishing and Technique. Will go straight into competing with Hoesen and Andersen as my right Forward.

Kenneth Bassey

Signed from the same club that we got Aleem O'Balogun from. Bassey is an 18 year old winger with Pace and Skill in abundance.

We've agreed to sign Wilfried Bony on a free transfer. Bony is 2nd top scorer behind Sigporsson, and gives us the best strike force in the league. (Such on that Twente!)

Making Contingency plans incase we finally lose Van Rhijn. Currently in negotiations to sign Dutch international Dirk Marcellis.

Archived