Goals from corners

I've got it set to default. The only players who ever score from corners are my two centre backs. Why is this? its very unrealistic. They also score way too frequently, this was meant to be fixed from FM 2011

As far as "only centre backs scoring" this is due to your set piece settings. I reckon that by default they are the key jumpers for any team, as they tedn to be the tallest players. You can easily change player positions in a croner situation if you like.

As far as the frequency goes, I totally agree with you. I rotate 3 central defenders, and they already have 15 goals between them in the middle of the seasson. Way too much!

Goals from corners are way too high, must have scored more than 20 for half a season with the default settings. On the other hand goals from direct free kicks are extremely rare, there has been only one in my league in the same period. Unfortunately these issues have been around for a while and don't seem to be addressed.

Each of your CB's will have 'attack far post' and 'attack near post' as a default setting for offensive corners. Change them if you want to reduce corner/CB goals. If you have a striker with good heading you could put him as one of those attacking options stated, or not use them at all if you don't want to score corner goals.

Those settings are in the individual player options in the tactics section.

I find some centre backs are awesome at scoring and tend to get a few but their replacements get hardley any, I tend to find my stopper centre back, designed to head everything away attacks the far post well where as my covering cb is handy at the near post but my striker on the keeper tends to get a few for me

In the demo with Roma i've noticed the same exact thing.

Left the corner kick tactics on default and Kjaer scored something like 3 goals in 5 matches, and Juan scored too.

It also seems to me that although corner kicks are set to 'mixed', it isn't really that much mixed...

1 of my CB scored 12 goals in one season just from corners. Danny Batth (sp?) who is on loan at Sheffield Wednesday, saved my bacon so much with the only goal of the game.

He scored more than James Beattie all season with him only scoring 3 goals in 29 appearances.

this was known issue for fm2011 as well as the lack of DFK goals and its not been addressed. What exactly have they fixed from 2011? The problem is that these are the kind of things that cant be fixed in a patch, have to wait until FM2013 and even then they probably wont be fixed.

I also scored 12 goals from corners ( I'm in March ) , all done by my single DC.

I think it's too much, above all considering that none of my remaining players have ever scored from corners.

Free kicks goals IMO, at least in my save, never happen instead.

In my opinion the FM11 OOTB Corner exploit (thought fixed in an FM11 patch) appears to have re-appeared.

If you target a specific position from a corner ( I wont spoil) having your best jumper / header you will get an above league average of goals from corners compared to your fellow teams. I'm only around 18 games in season 1 but I have definately noticed this at the beginning of the season. Frequency seems less now but I still think its more than irl

To be honest I have left set pieces settings as default and despite that my top goalscorer is my DC, just from corners.

Default corner routine is itself an exploit (I know it sounds bizarre). If you target a specific position from a corner, as MrPompey wrote, your DC morphs in to Oliver Bierhoff at a peak of his powers.

I think part of the problem is the consistency of the quality of corners. I remember in previous versions playing lower league football, with low corner taking abilities, if you tried near post corners more often than not they would go out of play before reaching the near post, or fly over the top of the near post players. Now they consistently get into the correct area, a bad corner is more often just slightly too low, rather than way off target. This obviously results in more chances from corners. Watching real life, the percentage of corners going into the intended area is low, even in the top ranks of the game, a huge number don't even beat the first man, this doesn't seem to be reflected in FM.

13 goals from corners in 24 games for me, which is with quite small centre backs, 9 and 11 jumping. My 13 jumping centre back had 5 in 7 before he was snapped up by someone else.

Archived