Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is it would be really hard to do transfers and things because everyone would have different opinions. Maybe whoever would run it could upload the database and let people look for a few players or the person running it could outline some potential targets and everyone would vote

A career challenge, small clubs to your favourite club

Firstly what I've noticed a lot of challenges are based around managing one club. Most of my longer term CM/FM games I've played I've usually managed one club. I'd like to play a game where I move around clubs, having a bit of success in different countries and building up my reputation.

New PCs are a lot faster with FM now, on my new PC I loaded all divisions from between 8 and 11 nations with large db and its still quick. So that wouldn't be an issue for a lot of people when it comes to loading several leagues. Again a lot of challenges are about loading one nation. Anyone with slower PCs could load 2-3 nations, so the challenge would be available to everyone.

I also haven't got a really good long term game going with Charlton since CM 00/01. I'd like to try and earn the job and make them as big as possible.

So the idea for the challenge would be to have a career, encourage everyone to move clubs and play in different leagues. You'd start unemployed and look for a club with an obscure or local reputation and go from there.

Eventually you'd hope you've done well enough to earn the job of the club you support.

As more popular challenges have shown, a simple challenge works best, so I wouldn't want to include too many rules and restrictions. That way the challenge could be played with any combination of leagues, db size etc.

I tried starting this myself, but there were issues with the match engine (in the 8.0.0 and the beta patch) meaning it was too easy, I was thrashing other teams. They seemed to think we had no chance. It should be improved in the official 8.0.1 patch.

I know that this was a long time ago and the career thread is very similar but I really like the sound of this.

Would people be interested in taking part if it was started?

couldnt you put a bit more of a twist or a change to it because it sounds exactly like the career thread to me at the moment

As the post dafuge quoted mentioned building up to taking charge at Charlton, it got me thinking: how about whoever joins the thread has to state a specific aim/aims before starting (could be taking a certain club to the top or winning a certain competiton before a specified date). You then play to see if you can acheive your goal.

As the post dafuge quoted mentioned building up to taking charge at Charlton, it got me thinking: how about whoever joins the thread has to state a specific aim/aims before starting (could be taking a certain club to the top or winning a certain competiton before a specified date). You then play to see if you can acheive your goal.

that sounds good, i live in grimsby so i could build up enough of a reputation and then take over a grimsby town. I nearly did this already in the career thread when i was favourite to become there next manager but i chose to stay with my club instead.

Ok, Wallace v Roberts has been going for a while now. As we maybe came to expect, progress has been slow (especially for us Monkeys :(). As i stands, there's maybe only another 9-10 weeks before the new game possibly comes out. As the current rate of progress, it would be a miracle if we made it to, and got established in the Premiership before then.

How about we mix it up a bit then? This would possibly provide the short term challenge people are looking for, and at the same time maximise the chance of success....(and I should say this is similar to Paul's 20/20 challenge)

How about, just for a one season trial, we let anyone who wants download the save. At the end of say a week, the best finish is the winner, they write the report, get the credit and we carry on from that point?

Some issues with this: it's hard to say how many people will participate and it's 'wasted effort' for anyone who doesn't win;

we wouldn't want multiple updates in the main thread from anyone taking part, so probably the winner would have to undertake to do one big year end report to make up for that - that would take away a lot of the interactivity of it.

What do people think? I'm sure this could give the teams the boost required in terms of success, but would it be to major detriment of the thread itself?

I'm against it tbh. It could easily end up meaning that someone plays the whole game and that stops the point of the whole challenge. It was always going to be slow progress as it is not just like a single player game but people had to adjust to the last few peoples tactics and players and make slight improvements along the way to get into the Premiership but if you do thsi then it will be really quick as a few people will be playing a season instead of just one person. Anyway that's just what I think, up to you and the others I suppose.

couldnt you put a bit more of a twist or a change to it because it sounds exactly like the career thread to me at the moment

It is almost exactly the same as the career thread, only having a specific aim of managing one club, which you would declare at the start. The game could be very different depending on which club you support.

Any suggestions as to what sort of twist could be put on it?

Paul, I've tried stuff like that before, and although I like the general idea, I hate having a history at a club :D - Since Dafs / Gundo's challenge, I love building a club from literally nothing. Now if you deleted your faves club history and started again with them, that would be cool.

To keep the community feel, one thing that people could do is to take a group approach to taking part in or starting a challenge. At the moment people dip in and out of challenges when they feel like it, but as we all know it is far more enjoyable when lots of people are taking part so the discussions can happen. I'd love to see people decide as a group to take part in one of the excellent yet underused challenges in this forum, or even decide between them exactly what sort of challenge they want together.

What do people think of dafuge's idea from the closed off topic thread? Personally I think it'd be a great idea for a group of us to decide as a group to take part in one of the excellent yet underused challenges. It would make it enjoyable.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Any particular challenges you had in mind dafuge?

how about, you take your favorite club out of the football league, then make a new club, called E.G Arsenal II, take the same kit and stuff, and have a poor reputation, starting from scratch, bit like Wimbledon did with the whole MK Dons thing

Rather than Arsenal II - I was thinking of F.C Arsenal or Arsenal AFC - like the new Man U or Liverpool clubs.

What do people think of dafuge's idea from the closed off topic thread? Personally I think it'd be a great idea for a group of us to decide as a group to take part in one of the excellent yet underused challenges. It would make it enjoyable.

It would be great, but I want to finish Dafs and Gundos challenge first. And I don't know if I have enough time to do so before FM09 is out :D

We could make like an official CSE Challenge for FM09 which could be sticked and then it could be a challenge that the all the community could take on. Also if we did it for FM 09 we could spend time making a really good challenge that would be very original.

I quite like Scoham's idea which could possibly be done within the Career thread, although that may be a bit too 'long term' for some people. I'm guessing if a large group of people are taking part it would have to be fairly short term to keep everyone's attention.

Perhaps something really simple like the monthly challenges we had? It could be something as simple as everyone managing the same club for as long as they want.

Guest roberto922

Hi I'm thinking of starting some downloadable challenges, however I have a few questions...

1) How do I upload the save games?

2) what size database should I use?

3) And suggestions of the countries for doing the challenges in

1. You'll need to use a file hosting website, such as Filefront

2. The more detail you load with your game the better it will be, but it will also be slower. You really need to find a balance that suits you, which might take a bit of experimenting to find out.

3. Somewhere you've never been before is always interesting.

Hi I'm thinking of starting some downloadable challenges, however I have a few questions...

1) How do I upload the save games?

2) what size database should I use?

3) And suggestions of the countries for doing the challenges in

What dafuge said, plus, would say restrict it to as much detail as you need. For example, if it's a challenge based on one club in Argentina, having 20 different leagues loaded and a huge database probably isn't really improving it any. You need to consider that even if your machine can handle every league in every country, some people prefer not to have that kind of detail.

Hope thats contructive. Look forward to you coming up with something interesting :thup:

Guest roberto922

Thanks for your comments, I'm a perfectionist so I'm gonna think of a challenge to the best of my ability :) Probably be a couple of weeks into the holidays, could be sooner though because I don't know yet if I'm going to have a summer job yet which would obviously give me less time to think of some. Oh and Dafuge, you're the king of challenges, got any tips for me?

I would just like to know if there would be an interest in an online sign up/ challenge.

Basically, groups of four or something similar and play a season and you then get points for the where you finish like the tennis tour. I havnt work it all out but i would just like to know if people would want to join in. Looking for around 16 people who would be commited

Guest roberto922

I'm stalking you Paul 'til you give me a hint of your next challenge :D

Anyway would anyone be interested in a series of challenges where you try to emulate a legendary managers career? Sort of like the Fabio Capello challenge that's doing the rounds atm, maybe a new one every month?

16 Players Split up into Groups Of

Group One: 1, 5, 10, 15

Group Two: 2, 6, 11, 16

Group Three:3, 7, 12, 9

Group Four: 4, 8, 13, 14

Once the groups are decided We begin the tour, Getting points on where you finish

Example: Spanish Open - La Liga

Each group can pick which team they want to go(different groups can go same teams)

Players will then have a week or two to complete the season .

Points will be awarded on the position they finished judging on their media prediction, not sure if i will allow the top teams yet but judging on interest i will devise a whole plan

Guest roberto922

Oh I've just had an idea for something that I think could be really interesting give me 15 minutes to write it up on notepad then I'll tell you more about it.

Guest roberto922

FM FORUMS - WORLD CUP CHALLENGE

A series of short weekly challenges where opponents try to get higher scores in their challenges,

so in the group stages they would all compete for 4 challenges, after that the top two from each group go through to another

group of 4 where they again all face off against each other, when they reach the quarter finals it's one on one. they face a tougher challenge than before

and the winners go through to the semis. The seis are tougher than the final also. After that the two losers from the semis would face each other in the third

place playoff while at the same time the big one is taking place!

You think you're the best on the CSE Forums? Prove it, Win the CSE World Cup!

Heres the format I was thinking of.

32 players

Group Tables decided randomly - Groups A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H

Top two from each group go on to next set of group rounds

down to 16 players - Groups A, B, C, D

Now for the knockout rounds

the 8 remaining players go through to the quarter finals

Then The Semis

And At last the moment you've all been waiting for.. THE WORLD CUP FINAL!

What do you think guys?

Guest roberto922

Oh yeah good point I always get it mixed up, Euros it is then, but if theres alot of interest (Which I doubt lol) then I will make it a World Cup 32, should I post it or is there anything else that anyone thinks I should consider, also Paul do you wanna be the first man on the list? (After me of course :D)

I'd reccomend thinking up some challenges beforehand, perhaps giving each person a 'Country' and they have to compete challenges within or with that Country, but obviously they'd have to be sort of fair, like if it was to win the World Cup, having Brazil would be a lot easier than having San Marino etc. But of course it's your challenge.

And yes, i'd be more than happy to be the 'second' man on the list ;)

Guest roberto922

Nah I was thinking a challenge that both people compete in with the same points system e.g. the IMPOSSIBLE chalenge you just set us! lol, that would be fairer I feel, but I have no objection to giving them countries, but it would just be superficial. Wouldn't be Brazil though they're not eligible for the Euros ;)

Guest roberto922

Also as this is my first challenge do you wanna help me out a bit? maybe like a joint challenge where we share our ideas for what challenges to do next? Obviously I'd do most of the work as you're busy with the 20/20 challenge. Then I feel it would be of a much higher quality with me and an experienced CSEer on board, failing that if any experienced CSEer could PM me a couple of ideas it would be much appreciated, especially the one and only Dafuge ;)

Guest roberto922

Ok thanks for that Paul, I might put the challenge up now, wait until I have 14 more contenders and then give out the challenges, could you PM me any ideas you have that aren't already in your random thingymajig for your 20/20 challenge please?

This is just a quick scout around, on account of my upcoming holiday, but I'm thinking of making a Welsh Superleague sign-up, similar to the Peru one that was here a couple of months ago. So far the player rules I've got would be;

*3 Welsh people, one of whom MUST be playing for a Welsh team (Cardiff etc. Don't count)

*2 more people from anywhere in the UK

**2 of the 5 brits must be under-23

*2 'wild-card' entrants who can be from anywhere

**Again, one of these must be under-23

Would people be interested?