The ultimate retain players file.

gillsminnow

I've put together this file to improve the experience in the following areas:

- Long term games without compromising too much on speed.

- Regens come through at more obscure nations aswell as the usual ones, this should ensure your scouts will pick up players no matter what area of the globe you send them to.

- No more greyed out squads when you play teams from small nations in European/International competitions.

- Many, many more manageable nations.

All clubs from the top divisions in each of the following countries leagues are retained and they will all develop regens.

Africa

• Egypt
  • Nigeria
  • Cameroon
  • Ghana
  • Ivory Coast
  • Morocco
  • Zambia
  • Algeria
  • Congo DR
  • Tunisia
  • Senegal
  • South Africa
  • Guinea
  • Mali

North America

• USA
  • Mexico
  • Costa Rica
  • Honduras
  • Panama
  • Jamaica
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Canada
  • Cuba
  • El Salvador

South America

• Brazil
  • Argentina
  • Paraguay
  • Uruguay
  • Chile
  • Ecuador
  • Colombia
  • Bolivia
  • Venezuela
  • Peru

Oceania

• Solomon Islands
  • Fiji
  • Vanuatu
  • New Zealand
  • Papua New Guinea

Asia

• Australia
  • Singapore
  • Thailand
  • China PR
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • North Korea
  • Iran
  • Saudi Arabia
  • United Arab Emirates
  • India

Europe

• Albania
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • England
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • FYR Macedonia
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Holland
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Rep Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Moldova
  • Montenegro
  • Northern Ireland
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Scotland
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • Wales

Here's a couple of screenshots to show the use of the file in the future. These screenshots are from the nations u19/u20 squads to demonstrate that they do produce regens.

FM013.jpg

FM017.jpg

Place the file in the edt folder of your latest update which will no doubt be the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\data\updates\update-930\db\930\edt

If by any chance it won't pick it up from there place it in the edt folders of the previous updates.

Download here

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How have you found the quality of the smaller nation regens (eg oceania) to be? Have there been any good quality players from these nations?

Not really from Oceania. Austria and Mexico have developed a few amazing players each in the 2020's.

Does it work ok with the 9.2 patch? Im very interested in using this.

Yeah it will work with all versions.

Is this better run with just 1 playable league (country?)

I usually have 10 playable countries and upto 20 'divisions' depending on what I want to achieve..... will this ddt cripple the game speed because of that? - also run a Large database.

If so, is it editable to get rid of the Oceania and most of the Asian nations, as im very insular and football shouldnt be played outside of Europe :D

Is this better run with just 1 playable league (country?)

I usually have 10 playable countries and upto 20 'divisions' depending on what I want to achieve..... will this ddt cripple the game speed because of that? - also run a Large database.

If so, is it editable to get rid of the Oceania and most of the Asian nations, as im very insular and football shouldnt be played outside of Europe :D

Haha Roolz, doesn't matter as you'll get sacked anyway. :cool:

I run 21 leagues and noticed no real slowdown when I play. Use a medium database though but this gives a wealth of players so shouldn't really effect things too much. Its probably better than a large database to be fair and it's not retaining whole nations, just the clubs from the top leagues of those nations.

And yeah, if you open the file in notepad you'll see I've listed the countries by their region so just take out what you don't want.

I put it in the 930/edt folder

but when i go to preferences, the file is NOT showing up for me to check off.

Do i need to start a game, then set it up then restart, or am i missing something?

It's a problem a few people (myself included) have had with extra files since the new patch. Just chuck it in the 9.2 edt folder then and it should pick it up there instead.

I'm running on 4GB RAM and 3 processors and It takes ages to start a new game with this file and i mean ages

Experienced that myself, but when the game was started, the speed was at the same level as it was without the file.

Any chance of updating this gills?

Tried putting it in every db folder to no avail on 903.

Wilson dude, it shouldn't matter which edt folder you put it in as it should be picked up in at least one of the edt folders. Made this after the 9.3 patch was released but it really shouldn't have any bearing what patch you're using.

I initially had some problems with it finding the file, managed to get it to pick it up eventually though. Think a computer restart did it or something.

Wilson dude, it shouldn't matter which edt folder you put it in as it should be picked up in at least one of the edt folders. Made this after the 9.3 patch was released but it really shouldn't have any bearing what patch you're using.

I initially had some problems with it finding the file, managed to get it to pick it up eventually though. Think a computer restart did it or something.

Cool will try putting it in every folder:D

If i want to use this file on a custom data base i have made do i still save it in:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\data\updates\update-930\db\930\edt

this location?

or would i save it in the edt folder for the custom database?

Can anyone not using Steam show me the path where i would need to put this file?? ... is it just "football manager 2009\db\edt" or is it somewhere else? .. sorry for the obviously stupid question but my game does not seem to pick up the file.

Can anyone not using Steam show me the path where i would need to put this file?? ... is it just "football manager 2009\db\edt" or is it somewhere else? .. sorry for the obviously stupid question but my game does not seem to pick up the file.

Should be C:\Program Files\sports interactive\football manager 2009\data\updates\update-930\db\930\edt.

Typically in the drive you installed the game at.

Would you recommend using this edt file over the huge database option by changing the panels fmf file

Never used the huge database so can't really compare.

I like to have a lot of players from all over the place to scout hence why I created the file. It's satisfied my needs to be fair.

I only have the major leagues on playable, then i put ALL the rest on view only, Its didnt slow the game down much at all, maybe about 3-5 extra seconds on results screen, ok over a season that will add up but i hardly noticed it.

Just gives you extra time to turn ur pants inside out.

Nice file btw :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

One thing I am not clear on is wether you can put this into an existing save or if you need to start a new game.

If i do start a new game, will it mess up the data files I currenntly have? The reason I ask is that I hve edited the data files to remove Spurs' poor coaches and scouts. If i load this, does it put them back in again?

Previously I had tried starting new game with large database and loading players (from the menu) for ALL european teams. I then selected english, french, german, spanish, italian, scottish leagues with english, italian and spanish on playable.

When had done this the game was unplayably slow.

Lee

what skin are you using

Flex 09 iirc

Cant get this to work although for some reason I only have a 900 file in my location even though I have 903 installed. Any ideas why this might be?

Tried checking the updates folder?

Thanks for the file!
thank you for the taking the time. was looking for something like this for awhile.

You're welcome.

I have tried to use this file,I have coppied and paste'd it into every version of the edt folder in my FM09 directory and have tried a computer restart and FM is still not finding the file. I coppied the contents of this file into the team_holland .ddt file and it still makes no difference.

Any suggestions on how to actually get this working?

I'm running 9.3.0 btw.

I have tried to use this file,I have coppied and paste'd it into every version of the edt folder in my FM09 directory and have tried a computer restart and FM is still not finding the file. I coppied the contents of this file into the team_holland .ddt file and it still makes no difference.

Any suggestions on how to actually get this working?

I'm running 9.3.0 btw.

try this to see if it works. go to my computer/my documents/sports interactive/football manager 2009/ then go into the db folder, double click on the database folder you are using. now go into the edt folder and place the retain file there! note: it wont work with a saved game file so you will need to start a new one. now start your game, load the database you put the retain file in, click on extra files then you should see the retain file on there. tick it and press confirm and it will take you back to the league selection process, choose your leagues then create your game.

Archived