Assistant Manager Role?

Yeh i'd like to be an assistant manager every now and then, though, then again thinking about it, it very much is just an extremely more limited manager role in the game isn't it? It's like SI bringing out an FM where you get hired as a manager and have very little you can do. IMO it is just limiting what we already have and do...managing.

I think being an assistant manager would make for a very boring game.

I can see why people would want the option. It's realistic to start out as an assistand or under 21 manager, gain experience and work your way up. But that being said I think there would be so little to do that very very few people would bother using the feature.

So therefore, for the effort it would need to be included in the game, there is very little return in terms of the number of people who would actually use it.

I personally think that being able to take up a lesser role rather than managing a club. Eg. Assistant Manager, U21 Manager. Adding more depth to the game, what do you guys think of this?

Should this be included in a later game? Would it work?

Although I don't think it should be possible to be an assistant manager, I think it should be reflected in your profile when adding a manager to the game.

For example:

IRL you are 40 years old and give this as your age when adding manager.

You should be able to:

- specify when you retired and why, e.g. at the age of 28 because of injury.

- which level you reached before retirement

- whether you amde an international appearance or not

The game could then give you a history, something like

joined Arsenal at 14; released at 18; joined league one/two team, made xx appearances; retired due to injury at 28; coached youth players at club x; moved to club y as coach, promoted to assistant manager; became manager now at.... [the permutations are numerable]

The clubs you were at could then determine your reputation, influence friendships, have a positive affect on loans/transfers etc, help you get a job at the club you played for (and maybe had hero status).

I personally think this could add a lot to the game.

Although I don't think it should be possible to be an assistant manager, I think it should be reflected in your profile when adding a manager to the game.

For example:

You should be able to:

joined Arsenal at 14; released at 18; joined league one/two team, made xx appearances; retired due to injury at 28; coached youth players at club x; moved to club y as coach, promoted to assistant manager; became manager now at.... [the permutations are numerable]

The clubs you were at could then determine your reputation, influence friendships, have a positive affect on loans/transfers etc, help you get a job at the club you played for (and maybe had hero status).

now thats an idea i like the sound of! (Y)

For example:

You should be able to:

I would think they could do that using the editor. They could create a category for the Manager profile allowing us to create our own playing and coaching history. It could include playing style, formation, etc., and perhaps even ratings for temperment that would affect how players respond to us during the game. Then upon game start-up, you would have an option to load your created Manager profile.

For example:

You should be able to:

That is maybe one way of doing it. My idea though could possibly be a random profile that the computer creates. But, both are possible I guess.

Having the option to either load a user created profile or have the computer generate a radom profile would be great.

I really wouldn't mind having this... run the U18s and reserves, run the full team and have a shot at the job if the manager gets sacked... I can see why a lot of people wouldn't use it but especially with the addition of assistant advice being a lot more prominent in fm09 I think it could be quite good fun (assuming it can lead to a full managerial role when you prove yourself)

I think this could be a good idea and I agree with OriginalJez; the point of we as the assistant manager is to train the reserve team and u18, looking at a possible climb in the ladder (if the manager get's fired).

Example:

Managing Kidderminster, you get promoted. There's a vancancy in Forest and Sheff Utd that you want but know you can't get. Man City needs an Assistant Manager, for wich you apply, and you get the role.

You end up managing the reserves and u18 for 1 year, do some press talks for the A team, start to become noticed and suddenly, here comes Forest with a proposal for you to be their manager.

I think this could be a nice addition to LLM and not only that, it happens in real life too.

Its called Football Manager for a reason, not Football Assistant Manager.

That would be a pretty p*** poor game. Football Assistant Manager 2009: sit on the bench looking important for two seasons then get your chance and fail. Phil Browns done ok tho.

I think rather than assistant manager, maybe reserve or youth team manager would be a better way to describe it.

It would be great for a career game when you start unemployed. Get a job as the youth team manager at somewhere like charlton. Then if you perform well you could be promoted to reserve manager or get offered a job at a conference or league1 team.

I think its a very good idea.

I am all for the option of being assistant manager. Depending on manager's hand's on approach you could manage reserves, u19s, create coaching sessions, scout and recommend players.

I'd rather start as an additional assistant manager at Arsenal and after Wenger retires take the role of a manager than immediately dislodge wenger from his job.

I think this could be a good idea and I agree with OriginalJez; the point of we as the assistant manager is to train the reserve team and u18, looking at a possible climb in the ladder (if the manager get's fired).

Example:

Managing Kidderminster, you get promoted. There's a vancancy in Forest and Sheff Utd that you want but know you can't get. Man City needs an Assistant Manager, for wich you apply, and you get the role.

You end up managing the reserves and u18 for 1 year, do some press talks for the A team, start to become noticed and suddenly, here comes Forest with a proposal for you to be their manager.

I think this could be a nice addition to LLM and not only that, it happens in real life too.

i think this is a good idea, it may not be something that is used a lot but for people who like to work there way up the leagues conference onwards this is something they may relish in there career ladder.

It's funny how people immediately say things like 'its not football assistant manager' or 'its not football chairman' everytime an idea to expand the game comes along. For me chairman would be pointless but "reserve team coach" would be an excellent addition.

I can't see SI having to do too much to add it in. You take control of reserves training, picking tactics & team. That would be enough for me but I wouldn't be dissapointed with the ability to reccommend players particularly younger players. You shouldn't have to sit and watch the first team games which would obviously be boring.

As a LLM I would relish the opportunity of starting out as a conference teams reserve team coach, winning the reserve league, having a shot at becoming the manager or being appointed as reserve team coach at a higher club. It happens a lot IRL. Likewise as someone else mentioned, rather than starting immediately as Arsenal boss being reserve team coach there which could then lead to a shot as caretaker manager or a job at a lower league team would be much better.

As I said, it's just a case of allowing reserve team coach jobs to be opened up and for the number of people that would use then I think it would be a good addition. If you don't like the idea then you just wouldn't have to use it!

Managing the u18 and/or reserve team is a lot of times the role of an Assistant Manager, Mattioson Blue Boy.

The importance of such a feature is, for me, as big as interection with the AI (players, board, press interection). It gives us more options for a career save, it opens more doors to develop other parts of the game, and one of the things I've always loved in the CM/FM series, it happens in real life.

Here's an example or two: Carlos Queiroz and Kevin Bond.

Assistant Manager at Man U with a possible shot at the job once Ferguson leaves, or Portugal manager?... Wingman to Redknapp at Pompey and Southampton and now Tottenham, or manager of Bornemouth?...

The chances would be huge, and the developement of the game thanks to it (better press releases, bigger knowledge of players and staff, better interectation with the board of clubs, players and staff, etc.) would make this a big addition.

I personally think that being able to take up a lesser role rather than managing a club. Eg. Assistant Manager, U21 Manager. Adding more depth to the game, what do you guys think of this?

Should this be included in a later game? Would it work?

I think this would be top start as an assistant and manage the reserve, recommend signing or if players are ready for the step up, go watching players that the manager asks you to and give a report back and when the managr gets a touch line ban you control the 1st team. work your way up to the big gaffer this could open a whole new world of football manager bring it on.

One thing we all want is more realism. Not a lot of people go straight into football management but work there way up through "the boot room" starting as a coach then assistant manager and so on. If you started as a coach you could run the U19s then the reserves as an Assistant Manager, watching other games and giving scout and coach reports. This would add more depth and realism to the game. Imagine a proper career, Start as a coach of a Blue Sq team, do well get asst manager job in league 2, manager leaves and you get job as boss, get promoted to league 1 and are doing really well, get offered asst man job at top premier side, do well with reserves and get offered manager job at mid to low prem team, get them in Europe and then get top job back at prem side you were asst manager at. Now thats how a managers career should really go. Bring on the Assistant Managers jobs in FM10 or FM11

OK. My twopenny's worth:

You can be offered 4 different jobs. Most people will go for the manager's job.

On top of this, you can be offered:

Director of Football: Buying and selling of players. (Probably only fun during transfer windows)

Assistant Manager: You do tactics and training for the reserves, and control reserve matches.

Academy Manager: You do tactics and training for the U18s AND you get a small budget to find some good prospects for the future.

Archived