I think i have made a silly mistake

In my Newcastle game, I had a £5.5m bid accepted for Juan Roman Riquelme, however a work permit could not be obtained. I had noticed he was considering citizenship for spain so I bought him anyway thinking he would accept citizenship for spain when he realized he couldnt play due to no work permit.

I've had him a few months now though and still not accepted citizenship or able to get permit for new contracts. Looks like I made an expensive mistake paying £5.5m for a 31 year old with no permit, his career will be over by the time he gets one.

Is there any way to encourage them to take the spanish citizenship? or does anyone have any ideas, guess I should just try to re-sell him

Is there any way to encourage them to take the spanish citizenship?

Unfortunately no. I hope this is something that has been addressed for FM2009 either in the full game or in a patch. I think you should be able to persuade a player that it would be in their interests that they take up nationality. I'm a bit surprised though that a player of his calibre and with as many caps woud have difficulty getting a work permit.

For sure something for FM2009. I absolutely sure that managers in real life 'talk' to their players saying: "Listen mate, I know you're a Brazilian. But its not likely that you'll be invited for their national team. Now ... you've been playing in England for 5 years now (or whatever time it takes) and wouldnt it be time to considder an english passport so you can play everywhere you want AND perhaps get an invitation for the English national team?"

thanks for all the replies, I was surprised he didn't get a permit, he has 42 caps and 13 goals, his rep is continental, but he is no longer in the Argentina squad, however they have just got a new manager so he might be called back up, would he get a permit then? or does it not work like that.

Looks like I will have to learn from this one and just put him up for sale and get what i can

thanks again chaps!

For sure something for FM2009. I absolutely sure that managers in real life 'talk' to their players saying: "Listen mate, I know you're a Brazilian. But its not likely that you'll be invited for their national team. Now ... you've been playing in England for 5 years now (or whatever time it takes) and wouldnt it be time to considder an english passport so you can play everywhere you want AND perhaps get an invitation for the English national team?"

If only you'd left off the bit after the "AND"...it would have sounded sensible!

when you put him up for sale make your asking price £0 you will get a load of interest when you do get this interest offer him to the clubs for no money now and £5.5m over 24 months and 9 times out of 10 you will get someone who offers you just that and possibly more if you dare hope this helps to get you money back

Happened to me with Arsharvin, thought he'd get a permit quickly, so bought him anyway.

3 years later, he left without playing a single game for me, £7.5m down the pan, I loaned him out during that time, and when I began to realise I'd never get the permit for him, I tried to sell him for a knockdown price. No luck. D'oh!

surprised Riquelme didnt get the permit, and yes there does need to be the option to tell tha player to take citizenship rather than just considering it forever.

on a side note -> the player has to be playing in the particular country to take its citizenship. he could not have taken on Spanish nationality once he'd left the Spanish club

How is this possible in england. I thought that if you did not get the work permit then the transfer would have been rejected???

Unless he had a dual nationality of a european nation then you would not be able to sign him first unless obtaining the work permit??

Or am i missing somthing in this post???

How is this possible in england. I thought that if you did not get the work permit then the transfer would have been rejected???

Unless he had a dual nationality of a european nation then you would not be able to sign him first unless obtaining the work permit??

Or am i missing somthing in this post???

You can still sign players that fail a work permit, they just can't play. I'll often sign highly rated players if I can get them on the cheap even if they don't have a permit, then loan them out or send them to a Spanish or Belgian feeder team for a while.

You can still sign players that fail a work permit, they just can't play. I'll often sign highly rated players if I can get them on the cheap even if they don't have a permit, then loan them out or send them to a Spanish or Belgian feeder team for a while.

That only works if you have a feeder club abroad though (clearing it up for Sadders).

"I think there is a problem with 'considering citizenship', unfortunately for you, I don't think they ever accept it once it reaches that message."

I can confirm that players do sometimes take up a second nationality.

http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=papac2xg1.jpg

Though i cannot say i was expecting any such message, i got it in between back to back Old Firm games i believe.

*unless of course you are implying that a player becomes eligable and either accepts the proposal right away or his status goes to "considering....." etc.*

Just use FMM and add a second nationality. Bugs like this justify FMM use. I used it before I patched my game after the stadium bug.

If you include a human manager making a stupid decision a "bug that justifies FMM use" you may as well just call open season on the whole thing and say that FMM is justified for whatever you want! No point trying to make justifications for it if you want to use it!

Archived