Player Nicknames

Do any of you ever use nicknames for your players? Do you even use the nickname functions to rename them?.

For me, I've got to admit I'm not that creative, tend to use what I have there infront of me really. Like Diego Spanu is a striker who has amazing stats, who should be doing stunningly, but rarely does. Often he fires just at the keeper, in fact almost all the time, he puzzles me, should be amazing, but just isn't most of the time. He's often a Spanner in the works of my team, but every now and then he gets shook out and messes with their machine brilliantly. So I typically call him Spanner :p. Then I've got David Le Moal, a winger, you can guess what he is - The Mole, burrowing through enemy defences.

I had a defender called Juan Morón on my last team, unfortunately I never got to call him Moron because he never seemed to fail :p

So do any of you tend to use Nicknames for your players that they wouldnt already have in real life (or newgens that wouldnt have one anyway)

Well, I should state, I dont use nicknames themselves, I just mentally nickname then in my mind, so I have a name to cry out in frustration :p It sounds insane I admit, but I think most of us get a little bit passionate about football, even simulated.

Well, I should state, I dont use nicknames themselves, I just mentally nickname then in my mind, so I have a name to cry out in frustration :p It sounds insane I admit, but I think most of us get a little bit passionate about football, even simulated.

I have been known to celebrate my FM team's goals more than when the team I support score in RL

International Management of countries like Brazil where there's lots of similar player names.

And on another occasion I had 2 players, same name and same position, so had to name them 1st and 2nd.

Only nicknamed one player, his name over his head was showing "Walter Abrham" decided to just nickname him "walter" for it to be shorter....was also a lot easier to cheer when he scored his goals(prolific striker 60+ a season 3 years in a row)

I had a Greek centre back in an earlier FM - he had a long winded name that resolved down to Popacapinass quite nicely.

In my current game I have a Moroccan forward I nicknamed Farid as his last name was a bit of a mouthful.

I've only ever renamed one player and that was back on CM03/04 I bought Dagoberto for Liverpool I nicknamed him Dagored. I had seen the movie M*A*S*H one of the characters was nicknamed Dagored so when I saw the player on the game it kinda seemed like kismet Plus it helped that he had heaps of potential and ended up being world class probably my favourite player in my CM/FM carrier :)

I often use nicknames for scouts, coaches and quality newgens. Someone had an idea to nickname scouts,can't remember where i read it, but i thought it was really good.

So I nickname scouts into say "Boris GER BRA 17 17", (his knowledge of a country and his ca pa potential judgment), same for coaches if they have high potential recognition attribute and i need a report on certain player from a ligue they would know best.

For newgens I shorten their name and add a litle star * to their name so that I am reminded that they are hot prospects or later in game that they are top players in other clubs.

I often use nicknames for scouts, coaches and quality newgens. Someone had and idea to nickname scouts,can't remember where i read it, but i thought it was really good.

So I nickname scouts into say "Boris GER BRA 17 17", (his knowledge of a country and his ca pa potential judgment), same for coaches if they have high potential recognition attribute and i need a report on certain player from a ligue they would know best.

For newgens I shorten their name and add a litle star * to their name so that I am reminded that they are hot prospects or later in game that they are top players in other clubs.

Those are excellent ideas! Stolen!

I use it very occasionally. Mostly if I've got two players with the same surname and initial (M. Henning), or for unwieldy surnames. I do really like the scout/coach suggestion, though- might have to look into that...

Many moons ago when taking my German A level I nicknamed all the players in my squad different irregular verb endings so I would getaway with saying I was revising when I was actually just playing Champ Man (as it was at the time). I remember my top goalscorer 'Sein-War-Gewesen' being absolutely amazing.

I got a B so it must have worked a little!

I use it for youth players that has potential (according to the coach). I them give them a star (*) behind their name, so I can easily find them amongst the deadwood in the U18 squad.

Archived