The manager merry-go-round is ridiculous

1. Tottenham - Walter Mazzari (+ FA Cup)

2. Arsenal - Malky Mackay

3. Chelsea - Andre Vilas Boas

4. Man City - Roberto Mancini

5. Man Utd - Carlo Ancelotti

After the end of the season the following happened:

Ancelotti > Fired

Mazzari > Man Utd

Vilas Boas > Tottenham

Mancini > Chelsea

Mackay > Man City

Bielsa > Arsenal

Ludicrous. If this hasn't been fixed for FM13 I quite simply won't be buying it.

Well, to be honest, is there really much they can do to fix that? it's slightly strange - but evidently they had the reputation to get those jobs, so it's not that much of a far cry that they ended up in a similar job.

Well, to be honest, is there really much they can do to fix that? it's slightly strange - but evidently they had the reputation to get those jobs, so it's not that much of a far cry that they ended up in a similar job.

There is a very simple solution.

a) Clubs should automatically 'dislike' managers who work for either traditional or title-rivals.

b) The longer and more successful managers are, the more fans of rival clubs should dislike him.

c) The more successful the manager is against them, and the more heated, important and contentious the matches, the more rival fans should dislike him.

So when it comes to filling a vacancy the manager should still have a shot of going to a rival club, but what is available to him reputation-wise should be mitigated by the bridges he has burned.

tbh something has to be done about the merry go around, not only is it silly and over the top, but it also mess over the simulation for anyone who plays in Italy, as im sure that most ppl that follow Italian football would know.....you can only mange one team in the same league during a season in Italy

so any Italian team that sack there manger during a season have to find someone who is ether unemployed (and on the same time have not been sacked by team in the same league during the mentioned season) or go for a manager from a different level or promote someone who is already working at the club

I don't tend to buy it the moment it comes out. I tend to wait a few months. Same with all football simulations.

This isn't the sort of thing people complain about a great deal though. You could only tell if it hadn't been fixed if it happened to you!

There is a very simple solution.

a) Clubs should automatically 'dislike' managers who work for either traditional or title-rivals.

b) The longer and more successful managers are, the more fans of rival clubs should dislike him.

c) The more successful the manager is against them, and the more heated, important and contentious the matches, the more rival fans should dislike him.

So when it comes to filling a vacancy the manager should still have a shot of going to a rival club, but what is available to him reputation-wise should be mitigated by the bridges he has burned.

What about the likes of Harry Redknapp? He has managed West Ham and Tottenham; Portsmouth and Southampton. After abandoning Pompey for Southampton, he came back and was loved.

Steve Coppell was Crystal Palace's most successful manager and later managed Brighton.

Alex McCleish got Birmingham promoted and won the League Cup, but got the job at Aston Villa.

Sam Allardyce got the Blackburn job despite being very successful as Bolton manager.

For me, the bigger issue is clubs not fighting to keep their manager by offering him higher wages or whatever.

This isn't the sort of thing people complain about a great deal though. You could only tell if it hadn't been fixed if it happened to you!

I'm quite surprised at this comment. I've seen it complained about numerous times on this board and I've seen it happen multiple times on my games. I'd thought it as quite a well-known problem with my anecdote merely an extreme example.

Alex McCleish got Birmingham promoted and won the League Cup, but got the job at Aston Villa.

...and immediately came under pressure, partially because of his former club affiliations.

What about the likes of Harry Redknapp? He has managed West Ham and Tottenham; Portsmouth and Southampton. After abandoning Pompey for Southampton, he came back and was loved.

To clarify: My suggestion wouldn't prevent suitable-rep managers from joining rival clubs, merely make it less likely. Making it slightly less likely would hopefully have a knock-on effect of stopping sequential depatures/hirings.

For me, the bigger issue is clubs not fighting to keep their manager by offering him higher wages or whatever.

As far as I can see big wages are stopping ambitious chairman from firing under-performing managers. Over the last four seasons Mancini came 5th, 5th, 4th, 4th and didn't get fired. Vilas-Boas came 3rd, 1st, 4th, 3rd (no trophy since 1st) and is still at Chelsea.

EDIT: Also I don't know how closely you looked at my examples, but some of the moves involved a Tottenham coach who had not only turned his side around from 15th, but led them to a domestic double, only to leave for a failing Man Utd side in 5th. I don't know how that can be justified. Man Utd wouldn't even have approached in real life because they know they'd be laughed off.

I think clubs should only target managers that are unemployed or at a club with a much lower reputation. Also AI managers should take into account the league position of their current club as I have seen the manager of Swansea (5th in the Premier League) quit to join West Brom (17th in the Premier League) near the end of the season. On FM11 I remember seeing the manager of the team I was about to face in the FA Cup final quit the day before the match to join a club that had sacked their manager after getting relegated.

tbh something has to be done about the merry go around, not only is it silly and over the top, but it also mess over the simulation for anyone who plays in Italy, as im sure that most ppl that follow Italian football would know.....you can only mange one team in the same league during a season in Italy

so any Italian team that sack there manger during a season have to find someone who is ether unemployed (and on the same time have not been sacked by team in the same league during the mentioned season) or go for a manager from a different level or promote someone who is already working at the club

THIS!

It's like playing a game of "musical chairs", with the music stopping around November, December and March... Seriously there are more managerial casualties mid-season than during the summer break.

And it's even more ludicrous when you see managers jumping ship in the middle of a successful season to join a sinking ship, or a club they wouldn't really sign for in real life, much less mid-season.

Finally, that happening in Italy is plain wrong, but I guess it's yet another of those "minor issues" where SI go for the typical "EPL rules fit all" approach because coding different rules for different leagues isn't easy (or marketable) enough.

To clarify: My suggestion wouldn't prevent suitable-rep managers from joining rival clubs, merely make it less likely. Making it slightly less likely would hopefully have a knock-on effect of stopping sequential depatures/hirings.

As far as I can see big wages are stopping ambitious chairman from firing under-performing managers. Over the last four seasons Mancini came 5th, 5th, 4th, 4th and didn't get fired. Vilas-Boas came 3rd, 1st, 4th, 3rd (no trophy since 1st) and is still at Chelsea.

EDIT: Also I don't know how closely you looked at my examples, but some of the moves involved a Tottenham coach who had not only turned his side around from 15th, but led them to a domestic double, only to leave for a failing Man Utd side in 5th. I don't know how that can be justified. Man Utd wouldn't even have approached in real life because they know they'd be laughed off.

I had gathered that you wouldn't want to stop it entirely, however I don't think it is right to make fans hate the manager of a rival just because he manages a rival. His comments should reflect that. Hence why Steve Coppell managing Brighton seems more likely than Neil Warnock managing Sheffield Wednesday, or Alex Ferguson managing Man City.

If the managers had been underperforming then maybe the problem comes from Tottenham and Chelsea paying out for expensive managers who aren't achieving much?

Of course I didn't know where Tottenham were when Mazzari took over.

I think you underestimate the attraction of Man United.

They should do something to implement the current Brendan Rogers situation.

In the game managers jump ship all the time, even moving sideways rather than to noticeably bigger clubs. Iv seen managers going from City to Arsenal before the game has had time to really let Arsenal become the biggest club.

Managers should actually be capable of turning down job offers

Also although at present there is the news item saying - the favorite is X, but Y and Z are also in contention

For big clubs there should be swings in the favorites, with people being shoe-ins, then ruling themselves out, etc, in the news items.

It could use division subscriptions to prevent people becoming sick of it, though im not sure what to d

thinking about it, managers dont usually leave a club by their own volition. if they are to leave, they get sacked. of the ones that do leave by their own volition, this will be to move to a club that is deemed to have a far greater reputation than their current club.

think of a manager from a mid-table team moving to a top-table team. The only time i can see that a manager would move to a similar rep team is if they felt they weren't getting the financial support from their current team.

certainly, a manager of a team that is constantly in the top 7 will rarely move to another team in the top 7, unless they get sacked. so from the original post, Mazzari (spurs) to manutd is kinda feasable. AVB to spurs from chelsea, no chance. Mancini (mancity) to spurs, no chance. Mackay from Arsenal to Mancity, very little chance.

its just as much about job security as it is about wanting to finish what you've started. you, as a manager, already has built up a reputation with your current club and staff. why would you move to another team just for the sake of it?

My solution is:

I don't pay attention to who goes where. Just played Man City there and they signed Ronaldo for €23m.

I thought that was crazy. Should have been loads more considering he's one of the best and the money behind Man City.

That's more game-breaking to me than Managers switching jobs. But that sort of thing shouldn't happen, really.

the laughable manager changes seem to be a regular occurence david moyes leaves 5th place everton for 20th swansea, big sam in his first year back in the prem in february sitting 5th leaves to go to 20th aston villa its just stupid.

Archived