What does 'challenge for the title' actually mean?

I've just finished my 2nd season with Man Utd, I won the league first year and accepted 'challenge for the title' as my expectations for this year. We had a terrible start due to the Olympics and I was about 16th in November.

Fast forward and I've just failed to pip City to the title. We beat Chelsea on the last day and City got held by QPR. Had QPR won, the title would have been ours on GD. We lost by 1 point, won more games, and scored more goals than City.

"The board are disappointed that the team did not finish in contention for honours this season."

The only reason I can think for this is that we were chasing all year, never top apart from once for a couple of hours in May. However to say that we didnt 'challenge for the title' is unfair as I am quite proud of our efforts. If we were second by 13 pts (which was the case at one point) I would understand.

Does this carry with it an expectation that you are always in the top 3? Top for a minimum amount of time? It is clearly more than just 'come close' so does the line need clarifying?

Challenge for title is your minimum expectation. You would have likely been fired if you were outside of top 3 (possibly top 2).

Of course the board are still disappointed with 2nd. You won the title first year. You are Man Utd. Winning titles is what they do. They are disappointed in 2nd, but they didn't fire you as you met the expectations.

16th in November? Your lucky to still have a job. :D

It maybe the fact that it took you so long in the season to mount a challenge or the fact that you failed to be in top position for any real amount of time during the season. Out of interest how did you do in europe and the domestic cups as i'd imagine if you failed miserably in these you may well be sacked even when finishing second.

16th in November? Your lucky to still have a job. :D

It maybe the fact that it took you so long in the season to mount a challenge or the fact that you failed to be in top position for any real amount of time during the season. Out of interest how did you do in europe and the domestic cups as i'd imagine if you failed miserably in these you may well be sacked even when finishing second.

Sir Alex is not too far off being sacked, Abysmal form in the Champs League = Out. Europa hahaha, beaten by blackburn AT home (YES!!) , currently second for most of the season so far, out of the cup (Carling??). This season is not looking too bright to say the least, in terms of the OP Situation compared to Man Utd's RL situation. ;)

Sir Alex is not too far off being sacked, Abysmal form in the Champs League = Out. Europa hahaha, beaten by blackburn AT home (YES!!) , currently second for most of the season so far, out of the cup (Carling??). This season is not looking too bright to say the least, in terms of the OP Situation compared to Man Utd's RL situation.

Don't be a WUM mate. No-one likes a WUM.

Sir Alex is not too far off being sacked, Abysmal form in the Champs League = Out. Europa hahaha, beaten by blackburn AT home (YES!!) , currently second for most of the season so far, out of the cup (Carling??). This season is not looking too bright to say the least, in terms of the OP Situation compared to Man Utd's RL situation. ;)

This highlights a flaw in the game for me. Obvisouly SAF can never get sacked IRL because of his past achievements but in the game this doesn't seem to count for much, the emphasis is too strong on the current season. I once had a game (FM08 or 09 I think) where I took a non-league team to the top, winning the premier league 11 times and the champs league 7 times. Then I decided to holiday for a season, my team finished 7th and I got sacked the day before another Champs League final!

This highlights a flaw in the game for me... Then I decided to holiday for a season, my team finished 7th and I got sacked the day before another Champs League final!

I think you were sacked for absenteeism: anyone who goes on holiday for nine months can't be too surprised if their job isn't there when they come back.

I think you were sacked for absenteeism: anyone who goes on holiday for nine months can't be too surprised if their job isn't there when they come back.

Spot on - The Assistant Manager will have deserved a promotion and pay rise.

What happens if you select challenge for title, but there are 8 teams tied on 100 points after the last game, and you come 8th because of goal difference?

If you finished 8th then you'll get the sack. Whether 8th on points or goal difference. No-one remembers losers ;)

Don't be a WUM mate. No-one likes a WUM.

What??? Sir Alex is having a terrible season IRL, a similar scenario to the OP, Man Utd haven't really been challenging for the title at all this season and i think they will struggle to maintain anything of a "Challenging for title".

Again, this is very similar to what the OP is experiancing. So hop it son. Kiss

What??? Sir Alex is having a terrible season IRL, a similar scenario to the OP, Man Utd haven't really been challenging for the title at all this season and i think they will struggle to maintain anything of a "Challenging for title".

Again, this is very similar to what the OP is experiancing. So hop it son. Kiss

they are sat 3 points off the top, despite loss of form and a myriad of injuries. out of CL is disappointing but hardly a terrible season. They have been first or second all season. To say they havent been challenging for the title is nonsense

they are sat 3 points off the top, despite loss of form and a myriad of injuries. out of CL is disappointing but hardly a terrible season. They have been first or second all season. To say they havent been challenging for the title is nonsense

They havent. They have been poor, the fact that Man City have also had a slump in form for Man Utd to catch up, not the other way around.

To both of you, my view is that MU are challenging for the title and are not yet out of it if the expectation is to win the title. I'm wondering if Spurs might win it instead

Anyway its early doors and 3 pts off first place is recoverable. Playing in the europa league is a different matter

To both of you, my view is that MU are challenging for the title and are not yet out of it if the expectation is to win the title. I'm wondering if Spurs might win it instead

Anyway its early doors and 3 pts off first place is recoverable. Playing in the europa league is a different matter

Pretty much where i stand on it

Depends a lot on the board i think. My lovely Brighton board slashed my wagebudget by 30k so i put Winner just to be able to keep up. Finished third and lost play off semi-final still didn't get sacked.

HAd to do the exact same thing for this season as well. Lets hope they are still lenient.

At no point was my job in serious danger, I had signed a big contract in the summer so not sure if that had anything to do with it. My board confidence never got any lower than 'satisfied' overall, they were obviously concerned withthe league situation but by the time I would have been in real trouble we were surging up the league. I won the Champions League in the end with a semi final expectation, knocked out in the 6th round of the FA cup by Chelsea and semi final of CC by City.

My point was really that had I known this would be how they would react, I would have promised the title. You could argue that that would increase my chance of getting sacked midway throught the season, but I'm not so sure. I dont think I would have been sacked for coming 2nd in that scenario as it has happened before in different FMs and I had just got a new deal.

My thought on SAF in real life (couldnt do 2 acronyms in a row) is that anyone who says he is near the sack is foolish, United are doing OK. Only OK, but Ferguson always says that if you are still in with a chance in January then you are alright, the Blackburn and Newcastle games were just irritatingly poor performances, which happen to everyone.

Having said that, I'd like to think he isn't sack-proof, but if there is a day where he stops delivering, it isn't now.

united are having a good season in the league. they have picked up more points at new year then last season.

no one cares about the carling cup.

still in the FA cup getting rid of city etc.

europa is a mere blip

Absolutely, getting knocked out of the Champions league so early was of course a blip but with regards to the league I certainly won't be putting my life savings on Man Utd not to win the league. Any writing off Man Utd as not good enough to win the league when they are 3 points off the top in mid January needs to have a word with themslves. There are 18 other teams who would happily swap positions.

I'm not a United fan by the way but to suggest Fergie should be or is under pressure is ridiculous!

I feel the Non Playing Members of Club, who are neither grey nor can be browsed, have some hidden attribute. From my FM career 2 attribute I can easily make out are "Patience" and "Expectation" Maybe something like Buisness too, 'coz different board have different financial policies.

As far as OP is concerned, I have never seen a United Manager Sacked in any save of mine in FM09-12 ever. But you are United, you can never die. You just get Hurt.

Archived