Continuingly Missing Clear Cut Chances

I have noticed my striker is getting 4/5 clear cut chances a game and is missing them constantly. Now, i signed the 2 strikers that I have because they have good finishing but more importantly they have good composure.

Marc Janko

Finishing - 15

Composure - 13

Vincenzo Renella

Finishing - 16

Composure - 13

I really dont understand what the issue is here, dont get me wrong I am not expecting them to score every chance they get. I do, however, expect them to score at least once when getting that many chances.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have this quite a bit.

Go to your players Coach report. In the "positions" box it should say what their prefered position is (for example, 'Striker - Poacher' or 'Striker - Defensive forward') i would say try playing them exactly how they like to be played and see if they do any better.

both strikers like to be played as Poacher with Attack duty, exactly how i am playing them.

To be clear, not playing them both Poacher, Attack together. I play one up front with inside forwards behind.

I am very happy with how my team are creating chances, just cannot score.

Janko was scoring incredibly at the beginning of the season then he picked up a month injury, i didnt hurry him back and now that he is back to match fitness and back in the team he couldnt hit a barn door with a car

Also just played a game against Newcastle, they had 6 shots on target and scored 4. If i have 6 shots on target i am lucky if i score 1.

This isn't just cause they possibly have better players than me, I have some quality and good finishers. I literally can't see any reason for this at all.

Despite what attributes you see you don't really know a player until you watch them play regularly.

Some strikers are clinical with odd bad games while others score in spells then there are those who simply struggle despite having the right attributes, especially when morale/confidence is low.

There is the possibility though that playing one ST as an attacking poacher means you are creating the wrong type of chance leading to the misses. Basically there is a weakness in the defending which means it is too easy to create chances between the opposition DCs but this leads to a high % of misses as the chances look better on the 3d than the ME calculates.

To improve this look to create different chances in the channels or/and via diagonal balls/crosses.

Despite what attributes you see you don't really know a player until you watch them play regularly.

Some strikers are clinical with odd bad games while others score in spells then there are those who simply struggle despite having the right attributes, especially when morale/confidence is low.

There is the possibility though that playing one ST as an attacking poacher means you are creating the wrong type of chance leading to the misses. Basically there is a weakness in the defending which means it is too easy to create chances between the opposition DCs but this leads to a high % of misses as the chances look better on the 3d than the ME calculates.

To improve this look to create different chances in the channels or/and via diagonal balls/crosses.

Yeah crossing is something i have thought about, i set my inside forwards to cross often instead of their default of sometimes. This seemed to make little difference and at times they seemed confused.

Ive decided now to just reset everything to default and spend some time really building a formation, team settings and individual settings to try counter the things im experiencing at the moment. I would very much like to stick to 5 in midfield as i like to dictate the play.

I am curious... what do people think is a reasonable conversion rate for clear-cut chances? I assume in real life it's between 25 and 33 percent, but I guess that depends on how you define clear-cut. What would you say it is IRL and in-game?

There is a difference between clear cut chances and yor average chance. I would say when you have a decent striker one on one with the keeper, i would expect them to score at least 1 in 6 of those kind of chances. IRL and on the game.

However as Cougar points out it depends on the type of chance being created and whether or not the striker can convert those kind of chances, based on this the figure could go up or down. So i guess in real life and in the game is trying to get your team to provide for the striker in a way that suits them.

What I have found is that CCC's straight on the keeper (approaching the goal via the penalty kick spot) are bad chances, and so are one-on-ones from a tight angle. You need very good strikers to score from those angles or when a defender puts pressure on him. Try to create a tactic which create chances in a 100-130 degree angle, and 80-50 degree angle to the goal and where the striker is allowed space to shoot with his real foot.

To achieve this with a single striker, I think you need to let him wander a bit to find space, so the tempo must be slow. He also needs to be significantly faster than the defense, have good Balance and Technique, possibly Strength and Off the Ball as well. Think Van Persie, Aguero, Rooney and adjust to the level you're playing at. I think true poachers (Welbeck, Paloschi, Hernandez, Bent) will be too limited in the type of chances created to really function alone up front.

A sign that it is a confidence issue not a tactical one is that he shoots prematurely! If he waits out the keeper but still misses a lot it is a tactical issue.

What I have found is that CCC's straight on the keeper (approaching the goal via the penalty kick spot) are bad chances, and so are one-on-ones from a tight angle. You need very good strikers to score from those angles or when a defender puts pressure on him. Try to create a tactic which create chances in a 100-130 degree angle, and 80-50 degree angle to the goal and where the striker is allowed space to shoot with his real foot.

To achieve this with a single striker, I think you need to let him wander a bit to find space, so the tempo must be slow. He also needs to be significantly faster than the defense, have good Balance and Technique, possibly Strength and Off the Ball as well. Think Van Persie, Aguero, Rooney and adjust to the level you're playing at. I think true poachers (Welbeck, Paloschi, Hernandez, Bent) will be too limited in the type of chances created to really function alone up front.

A sign that it is a confidence issue not a tactical one is that he shoots prematurely! If he waits out the keeper but still misses a lot it is a tactical issue.

Thank you think this could help, gonna try and change a few things up, I think also ive just got leeds promoted and this is my first season the Premier League so it is always going to be a tough season.

A sign that it is a confidence issue not a tactical one is that he shoots prematurely!

That's what my gf always says too!

Joking aside, here's another tip to beat the keeper on those one-on-one chances: don't give keeper too much time to anticipate the shot. The more time your striker spends on dribbling into the box, the more likely keeper will block his shot. Thus, it is better to let your midfielders do most of the dribbling and pass to your striker for a 1-2 touch finish.

The way i solve this.

1. Mentality. A very high attacking mentality is an option for the last 15 minutes of play. Only. So you need to find the right mentality number for your ST's and the rest of the team. I can't stress enough how important this is.

2. Tempo. High tempo often leads to these missed chances. It can double the amount of chances created, but the same goes for the chances missed.

You're welcome. :)

it is quite funny when you get jamal adam slapping em in from here there everywhere.

i always play attack 4-4-2, with united save it USUALY isn't a problem, as most misses are ranged shots, rooney seems to feed hernandez who 9/10 does the buisness

but other saves, where i have wilfred who scores goals for fun for other people. misses every single shot.

both torres and carrol hit the woodwork today.

Archived