intel i5 or i7?

Hi all, i'm going to be getting a new computer soon but don't want to spend loads.

How well does FM run with an i5 processor? I ask because if i5 is more than enough I won't shell out for an i7 comp.

Cheers.

Hi all, i'm going to be getting a new computer soon but don't want to spend loads.

How well does FM run with an i5 processor? I ask because if i5 is more than enough I won't shell out for an i7 comp.

Cheers.

The i5 desktop processor is more than enough for FM, however if you decide to purchase a laptop go for the i7.

The i5 desktop processor is more than enough for FM, however if you decide to purchase a laptop go for the i7.

funny you should say that cos my current options are a laptop with i7 and 4 GB Ram and a desktop with i5 and 4 GB ram.

The i7 will obviously run things better but the i5-2500K is a really good processor and most importantly is excellent value for money, especially when overclocked (with a sensible case and even stock cooler, you can probably hit 4 GHz without even trying - although it wouldn't be recommended).

The i7-2600K is largely indistinguishable from the i5-2500K except in extremely demanding applications or ones that use threading very heavily, for example.

For a laptop, it largely depends on what i7 you are talking about.

The i7 will obviously run things better but the i5-2500K is a really good processor and most importantly is excellent value for money, especially when overclocked (with a sensible case and even stock cooler, you can probably hit 4 GHz without even trying - although it wouldn't be recommended).

The i7-2600K is largely indistinguishable from the i5-2500K except in extremely demanding applications or ones that use threading very heavily, for example.

For a laptop, it largely depends on what i7 you are talking about.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge about the different variations of i5 and i7.

All i want is something that will allow me to run a nice amount of leagues and fast.

I currently have a 1.2 ghz intel dual core laptop with 3 GB ram and that can run England(to blue square prem), Italy (serie B), spain (league adelente) at an ok pace but i'd like to run a lot more.

My concern is that you are planning an i7 laptop and an i5 desktop which makes me think you are going to aim for very low-end i7 on the laptop, which surely does not make sense, since laptops are generally more expensive than desktops.

This might help: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

Basically, what is your budget? The i5-2500K, overclocked even slightly reasonably, will satisfy most gaming needs although it will struggle for extremely recent games on stupidly-high settings, and will be overkill for Football Manager. The i5-2400 is good if the 2500K is out of reach. The i3 series, even first generation, is still viable for value gaming.

You don't need an i5 or an i7 to run this game smoothly and you don't need more than 2gig of RAM, despite what anybody else says. You could easily run this game on a quad core or even a higher end dual core, like an E6850 and save yourself a lot of money.

You don't need an i5 or an i7 to run this game smoothly and you don't need more than 2gig of RAM, despite what anybody else says. You could easily run this game on a quad core or even a higher end dual core, like an E6850 and save yourself a lot of money.

You generally won't need more than 2 GB of RAM, but that limit is going to be challenged in the coming years. 4 GB is the "safe" level right now, and 8 GB (or 6 GB for triple-channel memory) is the standard most gaming PCs aim for at a minimum nowadays.

The laptop's processor is solid - the desktop's is rather rubbish, actually. It will still run FM quite well but I can't help but think your desktop specs are unbalanced, because there is a world of difference between the i7-2630QM and the i5-650.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+650+%40+3.20GHz

The AMD Phenom II X4s offer better value for money at that price, but then again, these processors are very different to the i7s.

What are the full specs?

This, my E6850 & 8GB of RAM desktop rig, whilst a couple of years oild now runs FM flawlessly.

That said, my i7-740QM Viao with 8GB RAM and an SSD eats FM for breakfast.

I've a feeling when I upgrade the E6850 it'll be for one of the new Sandybridge i5's rather than an i7, it'll more than do the job.

You guys are asking for i5 vs i7 for FM? This game can use a 4-5 year old processor and still be fast. So anything above Intel Duo can run this game smooth. (+2gb of ram too ofc)

But its an obvious answer for you, the newer the CPU, the faster the processing time (by seconds) between the days on FM.

the full specs are:

Laptop

IntelR Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (2GHz, 6MB L3 Smart Cache)

Genuine WindowsR 7 Home Premium 64-bit

6GB DDR3 RAM • 1000GB (1TB) SATA Hard Disk Drive

17.3-inch HD+ High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display (1600 x 900

pixels resolution)

AMD Radeon HD 6940M dedicated 1GB DDR5 graphics card

Blu-ray disc player / Super multi-format dual-layer DVD}RW with

Lightscribe (create silkscreen-quality disc labels. Just burn, flip, burn)

802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN • 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN • Bluetooth

Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for SD and MMC cards

HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone (VGA low-light)

Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer

Full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad

TouchPad supporting Multi-Touch gestures and On/Off button

Integrated finger print reader

2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA

6-cell Lithium-Ion battery • Colour: Dark Umber Metal Finish

Weight: 3.43Kg • Dimensions: 27.5cm (L) x 41.6cm (W) x 3.16cm (H)

Desktop

• IntelR Core™ i5-650 Processor (3.2GHz, 512MB L2 + 4MB L3 Smart Cache)

• G enuine WindowsR 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• 4GB DDR3 RAM • 1500GB (1.5TB) SATA Hard Disk Drive

• HP 25” diagonal TFT LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080 pixels resolution)

•NVIDIAR GeForceR GT 420 with PureVideoR HD technology graphics and

2GB dedicated graphics memory • 1 x DVI (VGA via adapter), 1 x HDMI

• Lightscribe DVD}RW optical drive with Double Layer support (create

silkscreen-quality disc labels – just burn, flip, burn)

• 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN • 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

• 15-in-1 integrated Digital Media Card Reader • High Definition Audio 7.1

• TV (DVB-T) Tuner card • HP Win7 Media Center remote control

• 8 x USB 2.0 (2 in front), 1 x FireWire IEEE 1394 port

• 2 x front audio ports, 6 x rear analogue audio ports, 1 x rear digital audio

• 3 x PCI-Express 1x, 1 x PCI-Express 16x, 1 x Minicard, 2 x external optical

drive bays, 2 x internal hard drive bays

• Wireless keyboard • Wireless optical mouse

• Weight: (tower unit) 9.6Kg, (monitor) 7Kg

• Dimensions: (tower unit) 17.5cm (W) x 41.4cm (D) x 38.7cm (H),

(25” monitor with stand) 61.76cm (W) x 20.1cm (D) x 43.56cm (H)

Basicly I'm chosing between these 2 as this is an offer from work so I wouldn't be looking into anything else other than these 2.

Cheers.

Get the laptop. The video card (I think the laptop's is a Radeon 6490M, not a 6940M - the latter doesn't exist) is superior on the desktop but the processor on the laptop is miles, miles quicker. That said, both will run FM quite comfortably.

Get the laptop. The video card (I think the laptop's is a Radeon 6490M, not a 6940M - the latter doesn't exist) is superior on the desktop but the processor on the laptop is miles, miles quicker. That said, both will run FM quite comfortably.

Cheers, the laptop it is then.

Thanks for the help guys.

Can anybody reccommend a decent GPU? I wanted to upgrade and I'm so out of touch with GPU's now (it moves so fast) I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction. I'm looking to spend around £150.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Can anybody reccommend a decent GPU? I wanted to upgrade and I'm so out of touch with GPU's now (it moves so fast) I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction. I'm looking to spend around £150.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

If this is for Football Manager, pretty much any discrete GPU for that price will run it, even integrated graphics and a decent Nehalem (i.e. i3, i5, i7) processor should be able to get away with it.

For that price, however, you will be looking at the GTX 560 Ti, but be wary of its power consumption which is unfortunately fairly high (i.e. make sure your PSU can handle it), although its idle temperatures are very, very nice.

Its performance is comparable to the AMD Radeon 6950 in a lot of ways, except that the 6950 doesn't consume so much power, but doesn't run as cool as a compromise.

And you will be looking at the 1 Gb variants for all these cards (i.e. not 1.5 Gb on nVidia nor 2 GB on AMD) - which shouldn't really be an issue anyway.

However, just make sure your power supply can actually handle these cards, and that it will run cool enough.

Disclaimer: I haven't been following hardware in a while except recently, and that's only because I'm planning a new PC of my own, and I'm getting either the GTX 560 Ti or 6950 - and I've still not decided yet, although I'm leaning towards the 560 because of its idle temperatures - I'm not a hardcore gamer.

It depends on your processor, but I think (again, I don't really know, but this is a rough idea) 550 W should be sufficient with an i5-2500K, not overclocked, two hard drives and a GTX 560 Ti.

I personally would aim for 650 W since power supplies only draw as much as required, but I guess it all depends on how big the upgrade is...

I would guess whatever you chose should be fine. My laptop runs the game just fine.

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58, 1900 MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

4GB RAM

One day I might get around to loading it up on my desktop just to see how much of a difference it makes.

Phenom II X6 1090TBE/AM3 3.2GHz 9MB 125W

8GB 1600MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL9 DIMM

MSI GTX 470 PCI-E 1280MB GDDR-5 320-BIT

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge about the different variations of i5 and i7.

All i want is something that will allow me to run a nice amount of leagues and fast.

I currently have a 1.2 ghz intel dual core laptop with 3 GB ram and that can run England(to blue square prem), Italy (serie B), spain (league adelente) at an ok pace but i'd like to run a lot more.

I am getting a 3 gog RAM laptop - will that run fm2011 in 3D? I currently have 1 gig so just have 2D classic?

HP Pavilion DV7-6004 17.3 inch Notebook (AMD Phenom Quad core P960 Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD

OR

HP Pavilion dv6-3108ea - Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD

What one would be best for running FM up to say, FM2013?

I am getting a 3 gog RAM laptop - will that run fm2011 in 3D? I currently have 1 gig so just have 2D classic?

Running 3d has nothing to do with the amount of system memory, it mostly depend on the laptops graphic card.

Archived