Can a game be called off because of snow?

Personally I never minded playing in the snow---kept those pesky strikers from being able to get a good footing for their shots :)

The worst I played was in heavy fog ---- a couple games I could barely see to the half line....made things a little nervy when the action was on the other side of the field, and I'm standing in my box listening for the action to start heading back my way :)

I remember a game just before Christmas this season, Ipswich were playing at home, I can't remember who against. It was on Sky, it was on in the background at the golf club. The whole pitch was white with snow except the markings and the ref took the players off for a good 15 minutes in the second half due to heavy snow before finishing the match.

I may be wrong but I think in a previous version of Football Manager at one point I got the message that the stadium was flooded and that the match was postponed. I may be wrong, can't recall what version or if it's even Football Manager i'm talking about here. Pretty sure I'm not talking about Championship Manager post-2003 though.. :D

I remember a championship game this season between Ipswich - Leicester that was played during heavy snow, the pitch was covered but the referee played the game out. Although being in the south east, East Anglia often recieves heavy snowfall due to its location on the east coast where wintry weather comes from Russia/Scandinavia.

Managing Rangers here in Scotland and played a couple of games in snow however, it has'nt been severe enough to enforce a postponement.

Anyway just a link for everyone to enjoy here involving a game between Glentoran and Linfield on boxing day 1995. As if conditions wer'nt bad enough, the orange ball burst and the remainder of the game was played with a white ball!! Makes some quite hillarious viewing!!

I remember a championship game this season between Ipswich - Leicester that was played during heavy snow, the pitch was covered but the referee played the game out. Although being in the south east, East Anglia often recieves heavy snowfall due to its location on the east coast where wintry weather comes from Russia/Scandinavia.

Managing Rangers here in Scotland and played a couple of games in snow however, it has'nt been severe enough to enforce a postponement.

Anyway just a link for everyone to enjoy here involving a game between Glentoran and Linfield on boxing day 1995. As if conditions wer'nt bad enough, the orange ball burst and the remainder of the game was played with a white ball!! Makes some quite hillarious viewing!!

Cant beat the Northern Irish league for things like that happening. I remember watching a game last season it was at Solitude and a player was arguing with a steward for not giving the ball back when it went into the car park.

I remember a game just before Christmas this season, Ipswich were playing at home, I can't remember who against. It was on Sky, it was on in the background at the golf club. The whole pitch was white with snow except the markings and the ref took the players off for a good 15 minutes in the second half due to heavy snow before finishing the match.

Ipswich played Leicester at Portman Road I believe...

I think matches being called off etc should be part of the game, would be interesting to see...

Haha, that's absolutely fantastic. With the white ball it just looks like they're kicking thin air! Anyway, I think more games ought to be called off, particularly in winter due to snow/waterlogged pitches, as well as fog and not just the odd games in non league. Same goes for abandoned games, there ought to be a small number of abandoned games due to things like fog (by small I mean maybe 1-2 a season as it's pretty rare to be honest).

Archived