Does playing Football Manager simulate being a drug addict?

When you are really in to the game (which I haven't since 2005 (2007 weren't too bad), nothing in your real life matters. It does not matter that you haven't got a job or haven't got any friends or haven't got a girlfriend, it does not matter that you have an assignment that has to be in soon, it does not matter that you have something else to do, all that matters is Football Manager. I believe Football Manager, like a drug, can ruin people's lives.

Its certainly addictive - even foregoing sleep to play it sometimes, although I dont get to play it so much the gf is here....saying that she reads, and I have said fine, i will play fm if you are allowed to read, she reluctantly agreed....always asks how I am doing though - nice

I recently created a poll, which you can see here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/251201-Do-you-feel-addicted-to-or-obsessed-with-Football-Manager?p=6465666

I'll repeat one of my post in there below:

So approximately 66% of us are addicted whilst almost 7% believe it to be out of control. The amount of people who say that the addiction is impacting upon their lives (or worse) is at least 27%. :eek:

Around 76% actually describe themselves as addicted or obsessed!

Should the game come with a health warning or what! :D

i did not start anything it is just outrages to compare football manager to drugs, then some plonker wants to insult me I'm no keyboard warrior

What I meant when I compared it to drugs was that people get addicted to drugs and people get addicted to football manager. And like drugs, nothing else matters except getting your next 'fix', and the 'fix' in football manager terms would be just loading up a saved game. You get up of a morning, turn on the computer and load up that saved game. Leaving your chair for the odd snack and toilet only. Nothing matters except the game. Like when people are on drugs.

I currently am not addicted to the game itself. I haven't been addicted since 2005 (2006 no, but 2007 maybe). However, I still install the game every couple of weeks and then uninstall after less than an hour when I realise I am not going to get out of it what I intended. This is my addiction. I have just asked Steam to delete FM2011 from my account permanently as I have uninstalled/reinstalled it at least 20 times (this is my addiction I suppose). I tried to find fm05 but cannot and I have just this second downloaded fm07 which I am going to install and will probably uninstall after an hour or so. Sad.

Would you sell all your belongings to play FM?

No because the game only cost £29.99 and only has to be purchase once.

Would you prostitute yourself to play FM?

No because the game only cost £29.99 and only has to be purchase once.

Do you get serious withdrawal symptoms when you don't play the game for an extended period of time?

Yes, nothing matters except reinstalling this game.

No? Thought not.

Just like the game is never going to fully simulate being a football manager, I did not state that it fully simulates being a drug addict. It is close in some aspects.

When you are really in to the game (which I haven't since 2005 (2007 weren't too bad), nothing in your real life matters. It does not matter that you haven't got a job or haven't got any friends or haven't got a girlfriend, it does not matter that you have an assignment that has to be in soon, it does not matter that you have something else to do, all that matters is Football Manager. I believe Football Manager, like a drug, can ruin people's lives.

You'll find that games, TV, Drugs, Alcohol and many other things are like this. It's not football manager but a persons personality. I would argue that games like World of Warcraft are much worse but any game can be like this.

Games are mentally addictive, i'd be interested if you were attempting to say it was physical too like drug dependancy. Bottom line is if you have problems like this due to FM, its your life pushing you into a hiding place as a coping mechanism, not the game itself. It just happens to be one you can get into the most.

FM is NOTHING like a drug which is addictive.

Addiction -'the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma'

HABIT - 'an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary'

More of a habit imo.

Football Manager destroyed my life. My wife left me, so did my two children. I lost my job, my friends, i lost everything.

At first i played 2-3 hours a day without much micro management, i let the assistant take care of things. But after my addiction grew i played more and more. I even manged the reserves and under 20's squad and before you know it, i started to watch full matches and analyse the highlights after each match.

I went to rehab about 6 moths ago and cleaned up my act. I still play though but no more than 30 minutes a day.

Being addicted would suggest that you no longer enjoy it and simply play it just because you have to. I think everyone of us would stop playing FM if we stopped enjoying it. But we do enjoy it, just a lot, so we choose to continue to play it.

I don't think the OP had any intent to compare drug addiction with FM addiction...he's perma banned anyways so I guess we'll never know. Some people really overreacted (understand rick74's position tho). The title is just worded a little badly.

If anyone has an addiction with anything, you got serious problems...

I love playing FM, but I got my priorities - family and friends. FM is dead, family and friends aren't.

Archived