Which PPMs actually improve performances

Let me run through a few of them...

Places Shots / Shoots with power.

Are you meant to put good finishers on places shots? What about power? Is that for poor finishers to at least give them a chance of scoring? What happens if the player has no PPM, they might do either? Is that governed by decisions? Is a player with 20 decisions better off with no PPMs as they always make the right choice on there own anyway?

Dives into tackles / Stays on feet

Which is better here? Surely it depends on the situation. You don't want a defender doing either of them too much surely? Or maybe you want good tacklers diving in, and rubbish ones staying on their feet?

Switches flank

Is this one worth having? Should I be teaching it to Full Backs with good passing or is it not worth it.

Free Kicks with power

Does this make good free kick takers even better? Worth adding? Or is it just aesthetic? Or is it better for free kick takers with poor decisions maybe?

Genreally, which ones are definitely worth putting on? I can never tell whether it is actually going to help, or whether it is going to make my players do that PPM too much. Maybe they are better for people that have poor decisons?

Let me run through a few of them...

Are you meant to put good finishers on places shots? What about power? Is that for poor finishers to at least give them a chance of scoring? What happens if the player has no PPM, they might do either? Is that governed by decisions? Is a player with 20 decisions better off with no PPMs as they always make the right choice on there own anyway?

I never want any player trying to switch flank regardless of ability. I'd reckon, high flair, passing, technique, composure & decisions are things that need to be high.

Which is better here? Surely it depends on the situation. You don't want a defender doing either of them too much surely? Or maybe you want good tacklers diving in, and rubbish ones staying on their feet?

Switches flank

Is this one worth having? Should I be teaching it to Full Backs with good passing or is it not worth it.

Free Kicks with power

Does this make good free kick takers even better? Worth adding? Or is it just aesthetic? Or is it better for free kick takers with poor decisions maybe?

Genreally, which ones are definitely worth putting on? I can never tell whether it is actually going to help, or whether it is going to make my players do that PPM too much. Maybe they are better for people that have poor decisons?

If its a case of them not really having the intelligence to carry out certain things despite strong physical or technical attributes, then you may need to restrict their play with PPMs.

If you want to encourage dribbling then speed/dribbling attributes need to be high.

Switching flanks shouldnt be a fullbacks job, maybe a good ball playing cb or dm but not a fb.

only the best defenders should be encouraged to go off their feet and that even isnt the best, John Terry doesnt have that PPM. I'd encourage staying on feet for a player that has poor tackling but excellent positioning, speed and concentration, i.e. he can Shepard him out to the side

You need to visualise the player and think what he can and cant do and what you'd like him to do when in your team playing your tactics.

I always have my strikers to place shots! David Villa as poacher for example. Scores a shed load!

I think you are looking at PPMs in the wrong way, they aren't necessarily something that improves performance, they give players personality. Places Shots may not be better or worse that Shoots with Power, it just makes the player more individual. I do like getting my strikers to place their shots though, and getting my DM to play a simple passing game.

All PPMs need Decisions and Creativity to be fully realized.

Places Shots should be given to players with high passing, since that's what they're doing with their shots: "Passing the ball to the back of the net." Shoots With Power goes to high Finishing STs.

Good tacklers with moderate to low Dirtiness should Dive. Poor tacklers with high Dirtiness (hidden attribute) should Stay on Feet. Everyone else should have neither. I'd lean more toward anyone with high Dirtiness should have Stay on Feet, personally...

Switches flank

Passing is the primary attribute here, but Decisions is more important than normal...

Free Kicks with power

Best for good free-kickers with good finishing.

Which ones are worth it? All of them, depending on the player. The right PPM(s) can make an average player good, a good player great, and a great player a world-beater. The wrong PPM(s) can destroy him.

Places Shots should be given to players with high passing, since that's what they're doing with their shots: "Passing the ball to the back of the net." Shoots With Power goes to high Finishing STs.

has this been confirmed anywhere? interesting point but ive read a few articles that stating what the OP has said

I think you are looking at PPMs in the wrong way, they aren't necessarily something that improves performance, they give players personality..

I think you have missed the point of the topic. I know a lot of them are just there to bring variety and realism.

This topic is asking which ones can actually make the player better. Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the issue.

I always thought Shoots with Power should be given to players with high Strength. In backroom advice, you'll noticed that your staff recommend that players with high Strength learn to shoot with power, and if a player has low strength but already has the PPM, they'll recommend you ask them to unlearn it.

Thing with PPM's if you look at them, they just override individual player instructions

Take, Dives into Tackles & Stay on Feet, that's the difference between Hard & Easy tackling. If you set a player who has the Dives into Tackles PPM to tackle Easy, he'll still tackle Hard & vice versa

Same goes with Shoots from Distance, Looks for the Pass rather than Shoot etc

So PPM's like the above, I don't think benefit a player as they can be instructed in game

Placing Shots, Shoots with Power I'm not so sure. Players blast or place shots in the match engine without the PPMs, so I guess you could see what your player scores more of before deciding what PPM for him to learn

I think you have missed the point of the topic. I know a lot of them are just there to bring variety and realism.

This topic is asking which ones can actually make the player better. Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the issue.

no hes right, they situational depending on how that player is used in your side, they are all good or bad, depending on how you play, or on the attributes of that player

themadsheep2001 is right. You can't really ask for a definite list of PPMs that make a player better. Whether a PPM is good for a player or not depends entirely on the player in question and your tactics (for example a DM/CM with "shoots from distance" is not going to work well with tactics that aim to work the ball in to the box, even though the player happens to be good at long shots). Give a screenshot of a player and ask for PPMs that would suit him, that way it's possible to give suggestions.

"Tries to play his way out of danger" definitely is a bad one for a DC.

I kind of think that "plays short simple passes" is a good one for any player with below average passing stats.

"Places shots" is great for a striker/poacher with good finishing and composure stats.

"Shoots with power" for players who have good long shots and strength stats.

"Curls ball" good for players who have good long shots but below average strength stats + also useful for good free kick & corner takers.

There's also a throwing PPM that can be useful.

For a tall target man "plays with back to goal" (not sure about that one) and if he has good dribbling skills "stops play".

Players with high flair, pace and dribbling skills benefit from "runs with ball often"..

For inside forwards obviously the "cut inside" & "gets into oppositions area" is very useful.

For wingers the "hugs line" and "runs with ball down the left/right".

Trequartistas and AMC's can benefit from "runs down the center" & "moves into channels".

Playmakers surely benefit from "tries to dictate tempo" & "hold up ball".

For a deep lying playmaker "Comes deep to get ball".

FM11 also introduced the "plays one-two's" passing and off the ball stats come to mind.

Full backs and Wing backs "gets forward whenever possible" unless you want them to be defensive only.

Whether a PPM is good for a player or not depends entirely on the player in question and your tactics .

Did you even readd my OP? Thats what it was all about.

Which scenarios are good for which PPMs?

I even gave examples with the places shots and shoots with power thing.

Let me run through a few of them...<snip> Genreally, which ones are definitely worth putting on? I can never tell whether it is actually going to help, or whether it is going to make my players do that PPM too much. Maybe they are better for people that have poor decisons?
Did you even readd my OP? Thats what it was all about.

Which scenarios are good for which PPMs?

Actually, that's not what you said in your OP. Your OP asks which PPM's are "definitely worth putting on?" It does not ask, "Which PPM's are good for what types of players, tactics, and situations?"

More than one person has proceeded to attempt to answer your OP. As usual, you have brushed aside their attempts, rather than engaging in discussion. This makes me speculate that the proper title for the thread would be, "PPMs Are Useless Wastes of Time".

It is simply impossible to make a blanket statement as to whether or not a given PPM should or should not be suggested to players in general. If you wish to get into a nuanced discussion of when to try to instruct players to, say, place shots vs. hit them with power, I'd open a thread for that specific discussion; that one alone could easily go several pages long. Moreover, I doubt that there is any concensus which would be reached, but certainly the discussion would be interesting.

As a general rule, if you wish to engage in a certain type or level of discussion, I'd suggest phrasing your original posts more carefully.

More than one person has proceeded to attempt to answer your OP. As usual, you have brushed aside their attempts, rather than engaging in discussion. This makes me speculate that the proper title for the thread would be, "PPMs Are Useless Wastes of Time".

I did call this on the very first reply to this thread....

Archived