The variety of regen nationalities

I find it lacking. All of the superstars come from the smae old countries. The best players I have ever seen regenerated from countries not from a tradiotional football power is Cristof Ivanov from Macedonia who plays for Chelsea and Ali Hussein who plays for Man City. Two good players but neither is a superstar.

This makes it very hard for new nations to break through in this game. I had a career where I managed Mozambique and while I struggled with poor players Nigeria and Cameroon where churning out the regen superstars on a regular basis.

How does FM decide on the diversity of regen stars. I would like to see a big star in Europe in the game come from some terrible football nation like Thaliand and then his success lead to a football boom in that country.

What do you think?

It think it's pretty realistic how it is. If you look back at the stars of the game in real-life, it follows a similar pattern. The good thing is though, as in real life there is a chance that a world class player will come from a bad football nation. But in the game as in real-life this doesn't happen very often.

If you want to spice things up, there's a Power Regens file in the Editors forum. :thup::)

It could have a little more variety, but I think loading some leagues from obscure nations does help you get better newgens in the future. Not world-beaters, but better than RL at least.

My best player so far in my Ajax game (I'm in 2027), came from Northern Ireland, he is by far my greatest player so far in this save, plays MC, real legend.

I don't have NI leagues loaded too, so I was surprised to get someone so good form there.

There's always a chance for superstars to come from obscure nations, but I have to agree there isn't enough from the even more obscure nations, like the Bahamas or Netherland Antilles for example.

I have an Australian regen playing for Koln in bundesliga who is very good and consistently wracks up 7+ performances he also australias no1 player at 22

I'd hardly consider that a surprise. We may not be a footballing powerhouse but Australia has and do produce at least a couple of players who play in top leagues. Certainly not as unlikely as quality players from the Cayman Islands or Haiti

I'm playing with the best team in the world and I have to say I have a lot of nationalities.

My best player (and also 2 x world player of the year) is Hungarian (and better then Puskás himself!). I also have Mexicans, a Nigerian and a Chinese player.

There's always a chance for superstars to come from obscure nations, but I have to agree there isn't enough from the even more obscure nations, like the Bahamas or Netherland Antilles for example.

But why should there be? It wouldn't be realistic if there was a large number of world class players coming through for poor footballing countries. The isolated case is enough, and that happens as I had a quality player from Montserrat once :D

Actually, I feel there is a pretty good balance. I love these players from strange countries, rather than just having my team filled with Spanish, English, and Brazilians. I have a winger from Andorra that came from my youth system, and while he's certainly not world class, he's a solid backup. I have another fantastic winger from the USA. My scouts found a striker from Hungary who they all say will be a leading star. Oh, and there's also a wonderkid Australian born CB who moved to some English team, and changed his nationality to English. I almost signed him.

I think the best, however, is that I once had a world class winger from Jamaica play for me in a Chelsea save I had. Ended up a legend. His stats were out of control.

If I want to alter the variety, what would I need to do "under the hood"?

I've noticed that if you have a lot of coaches of a certain variety, you may actually get regens from that nationality.

I hired a 2 or 3 English coaches for my At. Madrid team, and got an English regen the next year. I also had signed two English youth prospects, if that helps.

i got a hong kong regen who was alright but not brilliant, i'd say even if this isnt realistic it would make the game a lot more interesting if perhaps a few more regens from unexpected nations were to come into the game.

I've gotten good regens from exotic nations sometimes. My best striker in my first FM10 game (with Man City) was from Vietnam, and my sub goalie was from Luxembourg XD

Vietnam is a good one to see. May I ask how Vietnam did in international competitions due to him?

• 1 month later...

It works pretty well as it is, there are not many George Weah's in the world but it is possible for them to appear still. You wouldn't expect there to be many either otherwise everyone would whine that Ethiopia are winning the world cup or something.

A lot depends on which nations players you chose to load mind you, if the game only makes 2 new Gabonese players a year they're unlikely to be good but if its making 20 then you got 10 times more shots at one of them being pretty decent.

I think the diversity is fine at the moment.

My current save for example, I have about twenty leagues running, with about two-thirds of all countries selected to load player data. Yes, it's not the fastest processing, but that's not a problem how I play the game.

The spread of quality seems to favour the major footballing nations in numbers, which is as it should be, with a few high potential players from minor nations.

Currently in the second season of a save and this year, of the "smaller" nations, Slovenia and Czech Republic have done well with youngsters. I have two from Czech Republic and four from Slovenia. Interestingly, England and Spain haven't produced anyone of note.

I do believe you get more diversity if you have more country data selected at the start of a save though. If you have a look in the editors forum, there should be a thread with an EDT file, which works a bit like the "huge" database use to. It selects pretty much to load data and players from all nations.

Archived