Wealthy Chairmen

Do wealthy owners/sugar daddies leave a club?

I'm playing FM10 with Luton Town and after 8 seasons, and getting them into the Premiership, was bought by a wealthy Serbian businessman. He bought the club for £80m, cleared the £45m bank loan taken out to build my new stadium.

He has since made £100+ million available for transfers in the 2 seasons he's been in charge and has pumped an average of £20m into the coffers twice a season. He's also expanded my new stadium too.

All lovely and hunky-dorey you may think, but as an eternal Luton Town fans in real life (and therefore serial pessimist), surely the bubble is going to burst and and my rich benefactor will up sticks and leave me.........will he?

Sugar daddies will eventually leave the clubs one day as all other chairmen do too in the game.

Before that they can also decide to stay on but withdraw their funding. That happened to me once on FM09 with Newcastle after just having won my second CL. What a reward for my success :(

They stick around for a while and most likely won't leave you in the lurch, they may over a period of years lower their funding but you should be fine. I advise you to make hay while the sun shines, hold back and you may lose your chance to win the lot.

PS i am glad you are already a pessimist, i wouldn't want you to be too disappointed when you're playing Newport county next year and Rushden are in the league cup.

They stick around for a while and most likely won't leave you in the lurch, they may over a period of years lower their funding but you should be fine. I advise you to make hay while the sun shines, hold back and you may lose your chance to win the lot.

PS i am glad you are already a pessimist, i wouldn't want you to be too disappointed when you're playing Newport county next year and Rushden are in the league cup.

Cheers SmithRDFC. Did you go to the game on Saturday? Bit of an anti-climax in the end. Although glad we doubled your usual attendance. :D

Good luck in the play off semis. See you at Wembley!!!! :)

Do wealthy owners/sugar daddies leave a club?

I'm playing FM10 with Luton Town and after 8 seasons, and getting them into the Premiership, was bought by a wealthy Serbian businessman. He bought the club for £80m, cleared the £45m bank loan taken out to build my new stadium.

He has since made £100+ million available for transfers in the 2 seasons he's been in charge and has pumped an average of £20m into the coffers twice a season. He's also expanded my new stadium too.

All lovely and hunky-dorey you may think, but as an eternal Luton Town fans in real life (and therefore serial pessimist), surely the bubble is going to burst and and my rich benefactor will up sticks and leave me.........will he?

Hey mate I am managing Luton Town too but I haven't been taken over yet.

My stadium got built whilst I was £12m in the red, but I was in dire need of one. Can’t wait to move into “Gandy Arena” aha.

And I do believe they leave in the end, look at Notts County IRL ;).

My stadium got built whilst I was £12m in the red, but I was in dire need of one. Can’t wait to move into “Gandy Arena” aha.

And I do believe they leave in the end, look at Notts County IRL ;).

What capacity was your old stadium and what is the new one?

OK, probably a stupid question...

If a sugar daddy leaves, this doesnt mean the new chairman who'll takeover be a sugardaddy is it ??

And secondly if one changes the db to make a club chairman a sugardaddy, is the result going to be the same (ie when he retires the new chairman will be a sugardaddy ??)

I was there, yes. Play offs look very open but i think it should be us two at wembley. If it is see you there, hopefully your fellow fans can keep themselves in the stand there.

Still all to play for after last night.

Come on you Diamonds! :thup:

I was the same as Gandy. Roughly £15m in debt. Board agreed a new 29,000 seater stadium. Took out a £45m loan to fund it. Managed to get around half of that back with a stadium sponsorship deal.

Then the tycoon took over and cleared the loan debt. He has since upped the stadium to 40,000. I am hoping it can be expanded again as I managed to pack the stadium out all last season.

Just starting season 3 with the rich owner and for the third time running he has made £100m available for transfers. Don't really need it to be honest as I'm very happy with squad I have already. But it has enabled me to endulge in a bit of fantasy football though. Messi has just signed for Luton. Fantastic!!!

They withdraw funding at the most frustrating moments. CL football next season - well I'm just going to sit and watch as Chairman. It's the fact they remain as Chairman that bugs me, but never mind.

As for when they withdraw their funding it wasn't really a problem. By transfer budget was slashed and I made a slight loss every year but there was no debts and we had a new stadium. It certainly wasn't a Hearts-like affair (if I have it right about what happened at Hearts).

Arsenal have just had one on my save. They were on the verge of administation as they had been majorly underachieveing and had 5 players on over £110,000. It highlights what I see as a small flaw in the game with low finance clubs, it seems that putting yourself in a poor finnancial postition gives you a much bigger chance of a tycoon takeover. This is the 4th time I've seen a club go into finnancial meltdown only to come out the other end with a tycoon takeover, they are now my main challengers in the league.

I hope I get one one day! I've never had one since they were introduced.

Big clubs are far more likely to get taken over by wealthy owners than clubs lower down the leagues. I had a tycoon takeover when I had already reached the pinnacle, my annual transfer budgets were only 40-50m to win the league though, once the tycoon came in and they became 150m a season, he invested 700m then decided to build a new ground at a cost of around 350m so its all good for me.

I left La Liga on FM09 as Villarreal manager to go to Rochdale who had a wealthy chairman. They were sitting towards relegation in league one, I got a budget of £7 million first season. Couldn't quite make promotion due to being too far behind I was then given £15 million and did it easy. Then I got given £30 million for the Championship, as you would expect I got promoted easily, during this time the chairman improved the training and youth facilities to the top level.

I was looking forward to the EPL with a decent budget, the day I clinched promotion the chairman announced he was pulling all his funding out of the club. This left the club with a very low balance which he normally kept above £20 million, he then sold my star player for £12 million despite me paying £11 million for him less than a year ago. I resigned and the club got relegated and then stuck in the Championship with insecure finances.

Yep. I have won back to back promotions up to League 1 and I'm currently 4th place. Need to improve the stadium.

I got back to back to back promotions to the championship, because of the money situation at the end of the league one promotion season (not too bad actually about 500k in the black :) ) the board refused to expand, after the championship season 'starts' (budget set) i asked again and they said theyd expand it but thatll be next season i imagine. You get a decent ammount of money in the championship from tv rights and should be getting part of other clubs parachute payments so you cna get by for a while I think.

Archived