How about this to make future versions more realistic with regards to difficulty

Don't know what the rest of you feel, but given the fact that foreigners, no matter how good they supposedly are or how big their reputation, rarely seem to make any kind of impression IRL in the English Game.

OFC it is not a definitive list, but not many come to mind

Ardiles (Villa is only famous for one goal)

Ravanelli

Juninho

Yeboah

Catona

Torres

Vieira

Alonso

Hamann

Ronaldo

etc, etc,

Compared to the long, long list of foreigners brought into the English game of whom most seem to sink without trace as they just can't handle the pace and physicalness of our game style.

That wouldn't it be an idea to therefore drastically reduce the adaptablity of foreigners (any non british players) to play English Football (as opposed to continental style football where teams give you all the time in the world on the ball)

Would certainly make winning premierships/cups/european competitions etc a lot lot harder.

Also how about disabling the top teams in Europe from being able to be managed right at the start of the game. ONLY managers who have many years experience (save for Real Madrid who seem to appoint whichever name is pulled from the hat) at the highest level and have a proven track record of management ever get to manage them IRL, whereas many of the other teams are often managed by ex-players etc and would be more than happy for Joe Bloggs to come along and try to tuen their fortunes around.

I understand what your saying but I dont think its possible to implement. They would have to give a player an adaptablilty rating for every league in the game and just make England low. This would be the only way. At the moment there is only one stat for adaptability so it would be unfair to make a Spanish players adaptability, say 10, because you think he wont cope in England but then he could go to Italy and be the best player in the league. Lowering a players adaptability would affect him in every league/club he joined.

I agree on your point about foreigners, generally.

But why should the player be limited from managing the top clubs? If they want to manage Man United, or whoever, then why shouldn't they? Its their choice, same way its your choice to not take over them at the start..

Also how about disabling the top teams in Europe from being able to be managed right at the start of the game. ONLY managers who have many years experience (save for Real Madrid who seem to appoint whichever name is pulled from the hat) at the highest level and have a proven track record of management ever get to manage them IRL, whereas many of the other teams are often managed by ex-players etc and would be more than happy for Joe Bloggs to come along and try to tuen their fortunes around.

Really not a good idea. If you don't think it's realistic to manage a top team, then you don't have to. Ripping out what are essentially, optional features wouldn't be a smart move.

I think, in general, foreign players have done pretty well in England.

As for the other idea, as others have said, you don't have to start with a big club.

But there are, I dare say, hundreds of thousands of people who play FM who like to start with a big club. If SI took this option out of the game, they would be massively shooting themselves in the foot; as less people would buy it, and loads of people would complain about not being able to manage a top side from the off.

I wouldn't like this tbh. A player should be able to choose where they manage from the start, if that's Man Utd or Real Madrid or wherever then so be it. The option of managing such a team straight away can already be locked away until it's earnt........... it's called setting your manager starting rep to sunday league footballer :thup:

As for the foreigners, on the whole they have been the key that has made the Premier League what it is today. Yes you get the occasional flop (most of them signed for Newcastle :() but on the whole a lot of them have been successful.

As for the foreigners, on the whole they have been the key that has made the Premier League what it is today. Yes you get the occasional flop (most of them signed for Newcastle :() but on the whole a lot of them have been successful.

:thup:

Thinking about it, most Premier League team's star performers have been foreign players.

I'll try and make a list (in my opinion obviously).

Best players that I can think of at this time of the morning:

Arsenal - Henry/Bergkamp/Fabregas

Aston Villa - Yorke/Barry/Mellberg

Birmingham - pass

Blackburn - Dunn/Samba/Duff

Bolton - Davies/Nolan/Jaaskalainen

Burnley - pass

Chelsea - Zola/Drogba/Lampard

Everton - Cahill/Arteta/Howard

Fulham - Hangeland/Bullard/Murphy

Hull - pass

Liverpool - Gerrard/Torres/Alonso

Man City - Tevez/Ireland/Wright-Phillips

Man Utd - Ronaldo/Cantona/Giggs/Rooney

Portsmouth - James/Crouch/O'Neil (?)

Stoke - Huth/Delap/Beattie (??)

Sunderland - Quinn/Phillips/Collins

Spurs - Ginola/Lennon/Sherringham (?)

West Ham - Green/Defoe/Cole (?)

Wigan - pass

Wolves - pass

Crap list, obviously, but you get the idea I hope. Just as there are unimpressive English players, there are unimpressive foreign players. However, the reverse is true and there are star players from abroad just as from home. Not phrasing this well as I'm tired..

The OP's list seems a totally weak argument. I could make a list of literally HUNDREDS of English players who looked out of place in the Premier League, but what would it prove? ;)

Actually, I do think it should be the other way around, which is to say that British players should probably have an average adaptability of about 2. Foreigners adapt to the English game so much better than English players adapt overseas. How many top UK players are there in La Liga or Serie A or Bundesliga? Who are the British counterparts of Torres, Drogba, Evra, Vidic, Modric, Cech, Essien, Reina etc? They don't exist.

It actually makes me crazy when Juventus signs someone like Gareth Bale in my game... those moves never happen, and if they happen they never work out.

according to transfermarkt.de EPL has 355 foreign players which is 66,4 % of all the players in the league! so if u ask me i would say the english players are the one that don't adapt considering they're a minority of 1/3!

Actually, I do think it should be the other way around, which is to say that British players should probably have an average adaptability of about 2. Foreigners adapt to the English game so much better than English players adapt overseas. How many top UK players are there in La Liga or Serie A or Bundesliga? Who are the British counterparts of Torres, Drogba, Evra, Vidic, Modric, Cech, Essien, Reina etc? They don't exist.

It actually makes me crazy when Juventus signs someone like Gareth Bale in my game... those moves never happen, and if they happen they never work out.

he's right! how many english internationals used in WC2010 campaign play outside their country ? ONE ( beckham) ;)

Thinking about it, most Premier League team's star performers have been foreign players.

Birmingham - pass

Burnley - pass

Hull - pass

Wigan - pass

Wolves - pass

Crap list, obviously, but you get the idea I hope. Just as there are unimpressive English players, there are unimpressive foreign players. However, the reverse is true and there are star players from abroad just as from home. Not phrasing this well as I'm tired..

The OP's list seems a totally weak argument. I could make a list of literally HUNDREDS of English players who looked out of place in the Premier League, but what would it prove? ;)

what is with the (?) ?. The three West Ham Players you mention are English as are many others you have said

(?) was me being uncertain of whether they'd be counted in the top 3/4 players for the club in recent years. Essentially with that list I was just thinking out loud. ;)

oh ok. I thought it was because you wasnt sure if some of them was English or not :eek:

In most cases I give underachieving players a second season because sometimes the game does reflect a difficult period of adaption and I've had quite a few players where this happened. The best player I ever had was a very good case of someone who started awfully then became merely 'reasonable' before coming good, an example I often cite to back up my arguement about liverpool being too hasty to get rid of Robbie Keane.

Birmingham - pass

Burnley - pass

Hull - pass

Wigan - pass

Wolves - pass

Birmingham - Carr/Bowyer/Larsson

Burnley - Fletcher/Eagles/Alexander

Hull - Geovani/Zayatte/Mendy

Wigan - Valencia/Palacios/Chimbonda

Wolves - Keane/Ebanks-Blake/Hahnemann

Don't know what the rest of you feel, but given the fact that foreigners, no matter how good they supposedly are or how big their reputation, rarely seem to make any kind of impression IRL in the English Game.

OFC it is not a definitive list, but not many come to mind

Ardiles (Villa is only famous for one goal)

Ravanelli

Juninho

Yeboah

Catona

Torres

Vieira

Alonso

Hamann

Ronaldo

etc, etc,

Compared to the long, long list of foreigners brought into the English game of whom most seem to sink without trace as they just can't handle the pace and physicalness of our game style.

That wouldn't it be an idea to therefore drastically reduce the adaptablity of foreigners (any non british players) to play English Football (as opposed to continental style football where teams give you all the time in the world on the ball)

Would certainly make winning premierships/cups/european competitions etc a lot lot harder.

I think you are way off base with this idea. Just of the top of my head, (remember its early and I still haven't had coffee or breakfast) I would the following to your list:

Ricky Villa (despite what you think,he contributed a lot more than just the best goal ever in the FA cup)

Bergkamp

Ginola

Klinsmann

Schmeichel

Fabregas (much as it pains me to say so)

Henry (see Fabregas, should have put same for Bergkamp)

Pires

Petit

Tevez

Mascherano

Yorke

Berbatoss

Corluka

Modric

Kranjcar

Gallas

Evra

Drogba

Essien

Solksjaer

I really could go on. The foreign influx has made the EPL what it is today.

I do agree with those posters that have said Brit players going abroad should struggle and should happen less because with 1 or 2 notable exceptions they don't do well.

i take it your a spurs fan? Same could be said for Pires/Petit then aswell. Also you gotta be a spurs fan to include Corluka, Modric and Kranjcar to that list of players

How could you tell?

And are you telling me that the 3 croats are not quality EPL players?

Kranjc showed it over a couple of years at Pompey, Modric when fully fit is the best player of his type in England and Charlie is one of the best RB's in the EPL.

And yes the same could be said for the other goons, in fact on the subject of them you could add: Overmars, Van Persil, hell in fact just all of them apart from Walcott ;)

How could you tell?

And are you telling me that the 3 croats are not quality EPL players?

Kranjc showed it over a couple of years at Pompey, Modric when fully fit is the best player of his type in England and Charlie is one of the best RB's in the EPL.

And yes the same could be said for the other goons, in fact on the subject of them you could add: Overmars, Van Persil, hell in fact just all of them apart from Walcott ;)

Modric has only had one good season. He could have had second season syndrome for all we know had he not got injured. We'll have to wait and see with him. Kranjcar looked good at Pompy. Corluka isnt bad now. He was terrible at City but still arguably one of their better players also at the time.

Going along the lines of those, with me being a Man Utd fan, I could include, Van Der Gouw, Stam, Berg, Jonsenn, Bosnich, Blanc :thup: Taibi :eek:

Archived