The Transfer List - Does It Actually Exist?

Having been a solid LLM player in the past, there's one LLM rule that I've often wondered about. It concerns the use of the Player Search list (Manager > Search > Players), and if you play LLM, then it's a no-no because it "doesn't exist in real life". Because of this unwritten rule, I've always avoided the player search screen - even when managing a big club.

The thing is, does anything similar to the player search screen exist in real life, and therefore actually make it completely legitimate to use in FM, without the anti-realism alarm bells ringing in one's head?

I think PGB_SPURS_FM09 is correct.

Teams will have their own transfer lists. No mega mega huge transfer list anywhere.

I think it's more down to player agents, sporting directors and scouts to keep themselves updated on who is available. Having the right contacts is probably the most important thing.

The fax machines are probably running hot as well with both club and player agents sending out details on a players availability.

A transfer list does exist in real life but it doesn't work like it does in the game. It is not used to list all unwanted players there and give other clubs information about who is available for transfer. Players only enter the list after a transfer is agreed and are taken off it pretty much immediately. It only serves as a public information source about which transfers have taken place, just like a PLC needs to edit something in some register if new board members have been taken on board.

At least this is how it works in Germany.

You can slo access the German transfer lists here:

http://www.bundesliga.de/de/dfl/transfer/

So now translated to the LLaMa approch this would indeed mean that looking at the transfer list in FM should violate the rule of ultimate realism.

An interview would sound rather pompous if it went along the lines of:

"So you have used the computer game 'Football Manager 2010' as a scouting reference for your latest signing. What impact do you expect from a player found this way?" Whilst playing FM2010 lol.

But, as said there is indeed a 'transfer list' agents/agencies also have lists of their clients and a 'market value' next to them in some cases. The only way for SI to incorporate the current set up is to introduce agents and all their mercenary ilk which would ruin the game (just like its doing irl).

If it happens IRL, then why isn't that incorporated in the game?

A "use FM Editor as scout" option.

I believe there is it's called "run data editor" :D

They don't use the game per say but have access to all the research that goes into the database.

I always thought that when a player was put on the transfer list, FA HQ was informed and thus the players details where logged so all managers could see who was transfer listed. If this is correct then the rules to LLM are wrong as you should be able to see who is listed,I believe the list is updated monthly.

To be fair you often get quotes in our local press that they have circulated who is available or got a circulation so likely this does exist and as someone pointed out the PFA do release out of contracts. Yes this is indeed circulated to ALL clubs registered to FA.

Unlike the web version it gives out contact details career records etc.

Alot of trials are organised from the list especially for unknown.

I believe some clubs (in particular Everton) actually use FM as a basis for their scouting networks. The database more than the actual game at least.
If it happens IRL, then why isn't that incorporated in the game?

A "use FM Editor as scout" option.

there is a database of players that charlton and i'm guessing many other teams use

this was on tv years ago when charlton first got in the prem

Completely missing the point of this thread :thdn:

I think the term 'transfer list' is something of an archaic term that dates back to the days before the internet existed (how did they survive...lol). In those days, each club would have a list of players available for transfer and that would be sent to the FA who would circulate to all the other clubs.

The real problem with the player search screen is the presence of filters. Filtering out players whose Finishing is less than 15 is just not realistic. The real 'transfer list' is simply a list of players with perhaps their position and value. If you want more info, you are going to have to send a scout.

If you are talking top clubs then these days, the transfer list is irrelevant. If MU or Chelsea want a player then they can offer such ridiculous amounts that only a few clubs could afford to turn it down - whether the player is transfer listed makes little difference.

If you are talking top clubs then these days, the transfer list is irrelevant. If MU or Chelsea want a player then they can offer such ridiculous amounts that only a few clubs could afford to turn it down - whether the player is transfer listed makes little difference.

Exactly. Tomorrow, if SAF wants to buy Dzeko, it won't matter to him if he's not available. Utd are such a big team that players will usually become available just as Utd express interest in them because once they know that a team like Utd is interested, either they demand a transfer or the bidding club offer so much that the other club can't refuse it (as they're usually not that rich).

I've always heard "so and so has been transfer listed etc" irl so i am pretty sure there is a list hanging around. However i very much doubt this list would purposely become public knowledge. Im sure a club wouldn't want the fans knowing which players want to leave etc. Whenever we hear about it in the press its probably just leaked through sources or a player is dying to leave and doesn't care what the fans think.

This info would be available to all managers and therefore i think it is a realistic part of the game - LLM should allow it i think.

I don't use the player search function - apart from to filter transfer listed players.

Don't ask me to prove it, but I believe managers or scouts have access to this information in real life. I remember in the past, clubs saying they'd faxed 'everyone' when listing a player; and what would be the point of listing someone if nobody access to the list?!?

Suzie, I think it's realistic to do. The only filters I apply are age and position - you have to think what basic information would go on the list with a players name; maybe nationality too? After that you still need to let the scouts do their work.

I think the term 'transfer list' is something of an archaic term that dates back to the days before the internet existed (how did they survive...lol). In those days, each club would have a list of players available for transfer and that would be sent to the FA who would circulate to all the other clubs.

The real problem with the player search screen is the presence of filters. Filtering out players whose Finishing is less than 15 is just not realistic. The real 'transfer list' is simply a list of players with perhaps their position and value. If you want more info, you are going to have to send a scout.

:thup::thup:

And just to be pedantic :rolleyes: I'd say asking price rather than value - although that filter isn't available in FM. And I think age would be there too.

And just to be pedantic :rolleyes: I'd say asking price rather than value - although that filter isn't available in FM. And I think age would be there too.

Yes, I agree it would be the asking price (and that is what I meant by 'value' :)). Age as well would be present.

I do think the LLM's say not to use it at all because there is too much information there that would not be available to a r/l manager. They would however, say, that you can do whatever you feel is the way you want to play your game - just that it isn't LLM.

Also, some may wonder why the OP didn't post this in the LLM forum. If you are one of those people, you've probably never been to the LLM forum :D

Archived