Can you please blow for offside earlier...

Much as I hate to agree with a Town fan on anything :) I was only thinking this earlier this evening. Obviously a relatively tiny problem (and one that's reduced by the methods people have mentioned) it is a little surprising that it hasn't been addressed in about 4 years. In the real world some of the runs strikers go on before the flag appears would get them booked for time wasting.

Something that bugs me, very small, if a player scores and he/someone is offside, the ball wont hit the back of the net properly, the net wont ripple. Whereas when you score it does. Also, you can tell if the linesman does not start running back to the half way line. But yeh, seeing a through ball that is clearly offside and having to wait ages for a flag is kinda annoying.

Listen to the crowd - They tend to start booing (or something akin to that) when the goal goes in. After playing a bunch of games you tend to pick up a 6th sense for any disallowed goals.

Hopefully that should help your ticker! :thup:

But I agree, it's been a problem albeit a minor one, that has bugged people for years. (Oh and I've read your thread on your current Ipswich game - It's a good read) :)

As a referee, this bugs me to no end. I just played as Man City against Chelsea in the Community Shield. I was up 1-0 in the 75th minute and Drogba broke free, one-on-one with Shay Given, and puts the ball in the back of the net in 90th+2. Needless to say, expletives are flying (along with my wireless mouse). By the time I finally look back at the screen, I realize the really delayed offsides had actually killed enough time to end the game. Go figure.

To make a long story short, it was nice to see that I had won in regulation, but to avoid the mouse-chucking would be nice.

Agree with scalascione - also as a ref and ar (last 15 years)

1. When the ball is played through, and your man touches it(when offside), the assistant just keep running for ever. IRL he would stop running and raise his flag as soon as he touches the ball.

2. Sometimes the whistle is blown even before the pass is made. I.e. clearance from defence, and just before my MC heads it back in, the whistle is blown. Problem is that by the time he actually heads it, the man who was offside is now onside.

3. The interference - if a player in an offside position interfers a defender (running towards him, distracts him, goes into a duel), the flag should be raised.

Yes I know mistakes are done(#2 and #3) - Ive done them myself, but not in every match Ive runned on line, or been in the middle...

There are some more points about FM and offsides that I have thought of, but I cannot remember them right now.

And even more about refereeing as a whole in FM. I wonder who they have consulted, or if they just have read the rules... It has never been good in FM at all :(

Archived