Steam Pre-order problem!

I preordered FM2010 via Steam a week or two ago.

The entry in my games list has the right name ("Football Manager 2010") and status ("Not yet released") but no icon. When I right-click on it and choose "View Store Page" or "View Forum", both go to their respective home pages, the store home and the forum index as if the game's entry store and forum pages don't exist. Additionally, when I view the store page for FM2010 and go to preorder it, it doesn't stop me. It should say I've already got it and only the gift option would be available.

I also have Tropico 3 preordered and it all the equivalent options work as you'd expect - only the gift option is available, the games list context menu links work, I've got an icon for it.

It looks like my preorder is corrupt, like it's linked to a dud database entry. Naturally I'm a little worried it's not going to download when it's out. For that matter, has it preloaded for anyone?

How do I contact Valve (owners of Steam)? Other than their own forum, which I doubt they read much, there doesn't seem to be a contact option and I know they have a reputation for being hard to contact - although they've helped me out.

-- Ah, just found their support ticket system.

The entry in my games list has the right name ("Football Manager 2010") and status ("Not yet released") but no icon. When I right-click on it and choose "View Store Page" or "View Forum", both go to their respective home pages, the store home and the forum index as if the game's entry store and forum pages don't exist. Additionally, when I view the store page for FM2010 and go to preorder it, it doesn't stop me. It should say I've already got it and only the gift option would be available.

I also have Tropico 3 preordered and it all the equivalent options work as you'd expect - only the gift option is available, the games list context menu links work, I've got an icon for it.

It looks like my preorder is corrupt, like it's linked to a dud database entry. Naturally I'm a little worried it's not going to download when it's out. For that matter, has it preloaded for anyone?

Hmm, I also bought FM10 preorder from Steam. Maybe I should check this on my account.

Yes, boxed version of FM 2010 is still the better option!

If I had a gamestore close by I would get the boxed version too. But I don't and I know my luck. If I had ordered it from a webshop something would have gone wrong (package would have fell off the postmans truck or something bizare).

So DD is the way to go for me.

I honestly dont see the problem here? Its like that for every1

quote from Mirror football: There are other benefits to installing via Steam too. During the lifetime of the game, we will release a handful of updates to the game, called patches. The reason for doing these will be to fix any issues that are brought to our attention, or to do data updates, or match engine updates. If you install via Steam and are online, you automatically get any patches that are released.

On top of this, if you install via Steam, there is an exclusive feature just for you, called “achievements”.

and all you get with Digital is the CD and you put it in the disk tray, and play the game with a loud noise while the disk tray reads the disk ... and when you use steam you will still get the CD, and you can still play the game with the CD just put it in and play... simple.

now tell me why steam is bad ? honestly?

quote from Mirror football: There are other benefits to installing via Steam too. During the lifetime of the game, we will release a handful of updates to the game, called patches. The reason for doing these will be to fix any issues that are brought to our attention, or to do data updates, or match engine updates. If you install via Steam and are online, you automatically get any patches that are released.

On top of this, if you install via Steam, there is an exclusive feature just for you, called “achievements”.

and all you get with Digital is the CD and you put it in the disk tray, and play the game with a loud noise while the disk tray reads the disk ... and when you use steam you will still get the CD, and you can still play the game with the CD just put it in and play... simple.

Okay firstly you can get patches manually too which is no hassle. And you only need the cd once with the boxed version. So your two reasons dont make sense :rolleyes:

Okay firstly you can get patches manually too which is no hassle. And you only need the cd once with the boxed version. So your two reasons dont make sense :rolleyes:

LOL:rolleyes: im saying for people that like to play FM with the CD, because thats one of their reasons of getting digital :rolleyes:and you dont need to get patches manually when your online with Steam and I'm not saying its a hassle

I honestly dont see the problem here? Its like that for every1

Really? Well then if it is a screw up, SI are going to be unpopular on Friday morning!

As I say, Tropico 3 acts differently, as has every other game I've preordered on Steam (not that there has been many, Bioshock is the only other I can think of). The FM entry on my games list is at the very least buggy, possibly corrupt. I'd like some word from Valve or SI about this.

As regards internet delivery vs postal delivery vs buying from shop - they all have their pros and cons but that's not really the topic.

The preload is on thursday (confirmed by Matt from Sega in the online download sticky)....

So if there is a problem there should be 24 hours for Steam and Sega to get it sorted.

I dont personaly see it as a problem, ive got it pre ordered and dont have an icon either.

But ive had this before, its just whoever put the code into steam set it to go to the stores main page rather than the games page.

OK, we'll see on Thursday if it preloads and if it doesn't, I'm sure I won't be the only person with something to say...!

It's disconcerting having FM's preload act differently from other ones but as long as I can fire it up on Friday, it doesn't matter.

Alot of worry and panic over Steam for some reason. I find it the most painless way ever of installing or activating a game. It will download as soon as Sega inform Steam they can press the button. It will download fast and if last year is anything to go by it will automatically activate itself for you. All those problems people had last year with Uniloc and I didn't even need to enter a code , Steam did it all for me.

I've used Steam for a long time and I've plenty of games on the list and 99% of the time it is painless, but then preorders generally have links and icons and don't let you buy the product for yourself multiple times. I've done a lot of website/database creation (in fact I should be doing that right now and yes, I know Steam is it's own program, but the store is just a web site in an embedded Internet Explorer frame) and I can see the potential glitch here - we've preordered, say, game #33999, then someone's realised the listing was wrong, deleted it and added a corrected version as game #34000 ... and now our preorders are linked to a non-existent game.

I'd be reassured if SI or Valve would comment but if not, we'll see on Thursday, midday (yes Matt, you are being held personally responsible :) ).

I think Steam have been doing this long enough to get it right , if the game number does change I am sure they know enough to link the pre-orders to the new number. You are worrying over nothing, all will be fine.

Besides how many people will pre-order a game, then forget and order it again .???

I have the same issue, but i have been led to believe, by a friend who is a avid steam user, and that this "problem" is nothing to worry about. He says that you are able to buy as many copies of the game as you want. It will then show up as extra copies available, somewhere on you account. This is so you can gift the extra copy of the game to a friend at a later date.

I hope he is right beause I am very bravely putting my faith in steam, as its the first time i've used it and I'm hoping I have no problems at midnight Thursday/Friday. As I have work in the morning, and then want a full weekends play time :(

I think Steam have been doing this long enough to get it right , if the game number does change I am sure they know enough to link the pre-orders to the new number. You are worrying over nothing, all will be fine.

Besides how many people will pre-order a game, then forget and order it again .???

Then why is it possible to preorder FM repeatedly and not Tropico 3 or any game I've already purchased?

I think the point of my first has become slightly lost. My FM preorder is acting differently to every other Steam preorder and there's no obvious reason why. It's because Valve have been running Steam for a long time that this worries me, the system is mature so exceptions like this shouldn't happen. That something has happened already means something is wrong with FM - it's some broken links now, how annoyed will you be if it turns out to be more on Thursday or Friday??!

Edit: @Derby4Life - it's true that you can acquire more than copy of a game (I've got 2 copies of Half Life 2) but only through some circumstances (in my case, I bought HL2 when it was released and then I bought the "Orange Box" bundle which had HL2). You can't just buy 2 copies for one account, the purchase page says you already own it and that only the Gift option is available. At least it does for every other game.

OK, when I started this thread I was concerned. The posts here helped a bit, until I found...

My Steam preorder is strange. The Steam preorder has the AppID #34009. The version on the Steam shop is #34000. By comparison, both the Steam shop and my preorder of Tropico 3 have the same AppID (#23490). (You can find a preorder's AppID by right-clicking on it in your games list and selecting "View Forum" - on the address bar of the page that will load, it will briefly say what the AppID is, like how on this page you can see that "t" is 157540, meaning this thread has that ID number.)

Now, perhaps this is a rare case where it's OK for the preorder and the store to refer to different games. It's not for Tropico 3, but then perhaps there are complications I'm not aware of and they need to do it this way. Also, this is for me and maybe other peoples' preorders are fine. I don't know on either count. I don't work for Valve and I'm not an expert with Steam, although I have used it for years.

If you have preordered from Steam, you should be worried. I know I am.

This is not standard Steam operating procedure. I've PM'd Matt - Sega about this but I've no idea if he's responsive. I've heard nothing from Valve either, although I've updated my support ticket with them to mention the AppID issue, in the off chance they actually look at those. I've paid good money and given this new evidence, I'm not happy and I'm not willing to wait as fixing the problem - if there is one - might take a while. Things like too many cards or injuries are to an extent subjective and depend on numerous variables, but 34009 is not 34000, simple as.

dude omfg

even if they change the game id, the game is already attached to your account so no matter how many times the game changes id , the game wont change on your account and steam will adapt to the new id.

stop trying to cause alarm for no reason

dude omfg

even if they change the game id, the game is already attached to your account so no matter how many times the game changes id , the game wont change on your account and steam will adapt to the new id.

stop trying to cause alarm for no reason

Completely agree with you.

All this fuss over nothing. I have the same issue and am 0% worried. Steam is reliable and safe we will have our game on Friday pure and simple.

The game is attached to our account via the game ID. As in, in their database, they have a table which stores what Steam accounts own what games, and to indicate what game is what, they will use the game's primary key, which is presumably the AppID. So in this table, it says I own game 34009. On Thursday, game 34000 is going to start preloading (fingers crossed). Steam doesn't care about the game's name or anything, it's all about the primary key.

It's getting the name, status and publisher from somewhere, so there is something in the database - or perhaps it's cached somewhere but that's a long shot.

facepalm seriously neither you or me know how the system works 100%, its just that works , fm is attached to your account and will stay there permanently

now stop making such a fuss for something so darn stupid

i have pre-ordered tons of games and all of them even if id changed they were still on my account. also steam appID's are separated from the store they are converted by some system from what i know

i have 124 games on my list most of them pre ordered

I only have 87 entries, but then 86 of those have icons and all I tried have working links. I don't know how the system works 100% but I've got a pretty good idea and it involves 34000 being 34000 and not 34009. Computers are really picky about these things. It does not involve Steam AppIDs being separated from the store because, well, that doesn't make sense. The ID _is_ what connects it to the store.

Have any of your previous preloads had broken links and no icon? I can't understand that sentence.

I don't know for sure if there is a problem, but from what I can tell from outside the system, it is quite possible that Steam preorders are broken. I don't want to facepalm on Friday when Steam is sitting blankly staring at me.

For that matter, why do you? If you've preordered on Steam, aren't you at least concerned about a potentially broken purchase? You've given no actual technical evidence that it is fine and you seem to think the phrase "the system works 100%, it just works" has ever been applicable to any computer system ever developed. Systems don't just work 100%, if they did, the links and icon would work.

the fact doesn't have an icon it happens sometimes even on post release some games don't have them probably something on steam side or the publisher forgot something, the fact that doesnt have an icon its not reason to think something is broken.

i am not worried , i know i will have my game .

what your describing happens with dirt2 because he doesn't have a steam store page but its activated on my account ( cd key came with my graphics card). the link on steam client is pointing to the wrong direction thats all , valve will fix , however its not related to the pre-order system

now stop making a fuss for nothing

FM does have a store page but under a different AppID. FWIW the demo has an icon, and working links. I believe it's looking for the wrong icon because it has the wrong ID. I've heard no reason not to consider the same thing happening when it comes to preload and unlock the game, that it will attempt to preload app 34009 and not find anything.

It's a legitimate concern for a paying customer to have. Hopefully it's nothing, but if there is a problem, I'd like to draw Valve's attention to it ASAP or there will be a rather big fuss later in the week! I know talk is cheap on the internet and I could pretend anything, but I really am something of an expert on the subjects of e-commerce and database design.

Why do you think it's not related to the preorder system? Do you have any particular knowledge on the subject?

OK, when I started this thread I was concerned. The posts here helped a bit, until I found...

My Steam preorder is strange. The Steam preorder has the AppID #34009. The version on the Steam shop is #34000. By comparison, both the Steam shop and my preorder of Tropico 3 have the same AppID (#23490). (You can find a preorder's AppID by right-clicking on it in your games list and selecting "View Forum" - on the address bar of the page that will load, it will briefly say what the AppID is, like how on this page you can see that "t" is 157540, meaning this thread has that ID number.)

Now, perhaps this is a rare case where it's OK for the preorder and the store to refer to different games. It's not for Tropico 3, but then perhaps there are complications I'm not aware of and they need to do it this way. Also, this is for me and maybe other peoples' preorders are fine. I don't know on either count. I don't work for Valve and I'm not an expert with Steam, although I have used it for years.

If you have preordered from Steam, you should be worried. I know I am.

This is not standard Steam operating procedure. I've PM'd Matt - Sega about this but I've no idea if he's responsive. I've heard nothing from Valve either, although I've updated my support ticket with them to mention the AppID issue, in the off chance they actually look at those. I've paid good money and given this new evidence, I'm not happy and I'm not willing to wait as fixing the problem - if there is one - might take a while. Things like too many cards or injuries are to an extent subjective and depend on numerous variables, but 34009 is not 34000, simple as.

It's not out yet and your already saying it doesnt work?!

Wait untill the 31st and then you can bitch and moan.

It's a preorder, not a postorder. They didn't wait until the game was out to charge me.

And I didn't bitch and moan, at least I didn't set out to. I've found an irregularity that might affect a large number of people and no one has offered any meaningful explanation as to why this is "so darn stupid" or to how this is "nothing". It's probably nothing, but I'm concerned and I thought it was worth mentioning.

Yeah- I've bought loads from steam, including pre orders- never had any had any probs with them..when I pre ordered empire totalwar, earlier this year, I had a similar prob- no icon, id not matching...basically the same as fm10 looks now. On the day of realise it d/l np at all.

Think you're getting anxious for no real reason- we will have our game on time from steam or whenever they release it- don't worry dude.

i've preordered from steam. until the pre load time of approx midday thursday i'm not going to be concerned, even if nothing happens then and when i get up on friday nothing happens its no big deal. worse case scenerio is a get caught doing a ram raid on my local gamestation sometime after 8 friday morning. does anyone know if they have electric points and allow laptops in police station cells?

Don't worry about it.

Does that mean "Don't worry about it, it will", or "Don't worry about it, just be happy you get it at all!" ?

Oh, and as for the "problem" the thread deals with. It's almost certainly nothing. I've got the same, and I'm not worried at all.

Does that mean "Don't worry about it, it will", or "Don't worry about it, just be happy you get it at all!" ?

Oh, and as for the "problem" the thread deals with. It's almost certainly nothing. I've got the same, and I'm not worried at all.

Don't worry about it, it will.

Expenssive games, no DVD case to put on your shelf, oh and can't get game till release date :-))

Archived