Whats the score with the Skin / Interface?

I don't know if it is just me but the skin is a nightmare and induces headaches. There is too much going on on the screens. Why have you changed it to having nearly everything mashed up into one view. Its horrible.

I have played since I can remember, I am always defending FM and if you check my history I don't tend to post thread's complaining but bloody hell! I seriously cannot play the game, it is no exaggeration. It honestly gives me a headache. I know everyone is going to say give it time but I value my health more than FM.

Are there going to be any other skins released with the boxed version? If there isn't, I wont be getting the game on release, far from it. I will have to wait for a more manageble skin, at least.

It's odd, because this month I have recently changed from Pro Evo to fifa after playing pro since ISS days. It seems odd and quite worrying that my only other game I care to play has decided to ruin the interface.

It's my own opinion, and I am not perfect, but surely I am not the only person finding this? I have just realised that I am posting this in GQ, and don't think I was supposed too, but if anyone has genuine feedback or opinions would be happy to hear them.

Thanks

Lee

PS, The game seems great, just a shame I can't get far enough to try the new features!!!

• SI Staff

The game will come with two skins. A light one and a dark one.

If you activate your game through Steam then you will be able to download a version of the FM 2009 skin to use in FM 2010.

• SI Staff
I don't understand how people cannot adapt and like this skin like myself, I don't see how it gives anyone a headache.

The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same things and agreed with each other ;)

The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same things and agreed with each other ;)

Probably a bit more civilized too.

And as much as I didn't like the skin when I first saw it, I stuck with it. Would probably still use flex10 if it was being made but, for the first time since FM07, I feel comfortable playing with the default skin.

Because some people don't like the new look enough to want to adapt?

I've gone from being blown away initially to wanting the tree back, I think. I just don't think the tabs at the top work with a widescreen display.

I agree, at first I was like wow, this looks good. Then I tried to navigate and find what I want, and its just too much going on. Im all for the new additions, and think they are good ideas however they need to be implemented properly. To me it seems as if there is almost too much.

i struggle to see areas where the new interface makes playing more effective. can someone advise?

however i see two CLEAR areas where it's more a hinderance. and that's fact rather than personal opinion:

1. more clicks to get to player ratings after a match. this is not good for anyone. where's the upside?

2. lack of info on the 'next match' tab in overview. you can't see how many days till the next game from here. why has it been taken away?

I love the skin over the old one, it feels more like a game than a spreadsheet

Props to SI! Thought some shortcuts can be added, I'm sure the modders will come up with some brilliant stuff but thanks for allowing us to finally customize our own categories!

Basically I think people are annoyed because the game is complicated and time consuming enough without having to re-learn every menu/layout from scratch every year. Its intensely frustrating wanting to do stuff but not knowing where to click or under which menu something is buried etc.

I also have no idea why year on year SI go for an eye melting high contrast default skin?!

I don't know if it is just me but the skin is a nightmare and induces headaches. There is too much going on on the screens. Why have you changed it to having nearly everything mashed up into one view. Its horrible.

I have played since I can remember, I am always defending FM and if you check my history I don't tend to post thread's complaining but bloody hell! I seriously cannot play the game, it is no exaggeration. It honestly gives me a headache. I know everyone is going to say give it time but I value my health more than FM.

Are there going to be any other skins released with the boxed version? If there isn't, I wont be getting the game on release, far from it. I will have to wait for a more manageble skin, at least.

It's odd, because this month I have recently changed from Pro Evo to fifa after playing pro since ISS days. It seems odd and quite worrying that my only other game I care to play has decided to ruin the interface.

It's my own opinion, and I am not perfect, but surely I am not the only person finding this? I have just realised that I am posting this in GQ, and don't think I was supposed too, but if anyone has genuine feedback or opinions would be happy to hear them.

Thanks

Lee

PS, The game seems great, just a shame I can't get far enough to try the new features!!!

You're not the only one and I've tried to make my feelings known about the 09 type skin/interface only being released through Steam. I think it's very unfair on those of us who will not be using Steam. If they don't change their mind about this, I will wait before buying the game and hopefully someone will make an 09 type skin and post it in the Skins forum. But frankly it irks me that the skin is already available and could be released on this forum, but will be with-held from us to try and greymail (blackmail is perhaps too strong a word here) us into using Steam.

There are several instances with the new interface where you now have to click at least twice instead of once to achieve what you want. Such as the "Clear Selection" button in the Tactics screen, which I always found very helpful. I was looking like crazy for it in the FM10 demo, wondering where they had put it, and later found you had to click on a button and the option would appear and then you click it.

Having said that, I noticed that they have re-included the right-click on player name and choose make available for reserves until match fit option, which is neat.

Overall, I agree there is too much going on though, imo.

New stuff is great, change can be really good. But I believe adaptation (to anything) can be bad too. In life in general, things can get really bad very quickly, if people take too much pride in how easily they adapt to new things, and less pride in deciding whether the change is good or bad in the first place. There has to be a balance. Otherwise there is no real progress, just an illusion of the same.

Oh wait, this is the Football Manager forum, I was forgetting myself.....

I'm sure SI is striving for new AND better, but they need to put a lot more work into it imo, when it comes to the interface. :)

They will never change though. Each year they improve some things, but also put out experimental stuff that isn't the finished article. Lol. It's always the best computer game ever for me, in spite of the things I dislike. :)

Archived