Can a goalkeeper be a good captain?

Provided that the player has the right attrubutes, anyone can be a Captain. Don't forget that the position/area you make captain generally (although not always) makes the team around him better. For example, if you have your goalkeeper as captain, he might, and his defence play that ever so slightly better. If your captain is a striker, your strikers might play that little bit better to.

Even if my keeper has the best stats in the squad I would still prefer an outfield player as captain but thats just a personal opinion and the way that I play the game.

Im not sure how its implemented in the game - but logically a GK isnt a good choice - he can only have influence over the game within his own 18 yard box (possibly if he yells really loudly, influence in his own half). A Defender is better, but a really central midfielder is the best imo. A striker is better than a GK, but falls down for the same reasons - unless hes a box to box striker (gets involved in all the defending corners and such) hes not really in the right place at the right time.

I know in real life there are keepers as captains schmeichel occasionly at old trafford and chilavert at paraguay, kahn as well. however, i personally liek having my captain in the centyre of midfield I feel the influence affects more of his colleagues and drives the team forward better. The benefit of the keeper as captain is they are less involved in the game usually so can focus on the players around him more.

I like having a goalkeeper as captain as in real life they can see the whole game from the point of view of his team's players, can see the team shape and has more time to shout and organise his team

All of which is great... but utterly useless if the ball is in the other half...

I do not see how a GK can make a good captain. A Captain needs to be out amongst the playeras and organising them. A GK simply cannot do this due to his position. How can a GK organise the attackers?

For me it has to a Central Mid or Central Defender.

I've heard this before from a number of managers but some managers prefer to have a captain in defence or in goal because most of the time they are able to overlook all the action thats going on. For example, if a player in front of him isnt in the correct position or not marking his man, he is able to see it and instruct that player to do that amongst other things. However, a striker is generally looking forward and may not be able to notice some of the problems going on further back. Btw this isnt neccesarily my opinion, im just putting forward a case to have a captain in these positions.

A goalkeeper's teamwork attribute means little, the same for a centre back.

It depends what you want out of your captain. Do you want him to fire up the troops, like Keane or Terry? Do you want him to lead by example, like Maradona or Platini? Do you want him to make sure everyone is organised, like Moore or Beckenbauer?

Goalkeepers tend not to make the best "inspiration" captains IRL, but they should be fine at doing the other two jobs.

(I don't know if inspirational captains are coded into the game, by the way...)

Archived