Better media. More controversy.

CalumF

Just wondering what people think. Every Sunday or Mondays newspaper back page always have a headline discussing the weekends big debates. Theres always something that overshadows the weekends football. Like Adebayors stamp on Van Piersie and his over the top celebration to the Arsenal fans. Eduardos dive against Celtic in the champions league. Crystal Palaces disallowed goal. Chelseas transfer ban.

What im trying to say is why is there none of this in FM. Not these cases in particular but in general. More eratic player celebrations that wind up the supporters. Player bust ups on and off the pitch. At the end of the game. In the tunnel. Red cards that starts off a brawl. Just things that would make back page news. So when the media ask you questions after the match you can get involved and make it into a big thing instead of the normal and repetitive questions you get now.

Does anyone agree and think that is can be improved in the game?

There should be more controversy and less silly rumors, for example, about me being interested in goalie even despite i have an amazing youngster as GK in starting line-up! if i make enquiry for a player, go on, talk about it, but not when i haven't even scouted the player..!

There should be more controversy and less silly rumors, for example, about me being interested in goalie even despite i have an amazing youngster as GK in starting line-up! if i make enquiry for a player, go on, talk about it, but not when i haven't even scouted the player..!

The game's more realistic with that in it. It happens IRL, so why not in the game? You sometimes here of your club's manager keeping tabs on big name players once, and nothing's mentioned about it ever again.

Yep, this is perhaps the greatest idea I've ever heard in Football Manager. We never see very controversial red cards or fights, allegations over other players, players diving, etc, in the news screen and it would make those dull press conferences exciting and varied. Definite yes to this.

Yep, this is perhaps the greatest idea I've ever heard in Football Manager. We never see very controversial red cards or fights, allegations over other players, players diving, etc, in the news screen and it would make those dull press conferences exciting and varied. Definite yes to this.

Tahnks for the support mate. I think the press conferences in the game are very dull and always ask the same questions. And is why i get my assistant to do them for me! But this is wrong becasuse this is the managers job and has to speak to the media every day. Hopefully will get improved in FM10.

We need controversy in the game. Please si.

Licensing would be an issue here. SI wouldn't be able to implement dodgy ref decisions, drug scams, court appearances etc. on a random basis because it would be defamation of character and would be opening themselves up to be sued.

Totally understand what you are saying. Like in Steven Gerrards case it could never be implemented.

But like for Adebayors case it is already in the game to an extent. It just needs to be worked on. Before the game the press can mention that Adebayor goes up agaisnt former club. Which already happens. But when hes scores or in his interview afterwards he can make or say something that starts the debate. Then, in the game all week afterwards the press can ask you questions relating to Adebayors actions. This could work?

The media is such a big part of football. I would just like to see more varied storys coming into your inbox and adding some more excitment to the game.

The problem with most players these days is they feel they are higher than anyone else which is why they will sue over such petty little things like something happening to them in a computer game! This would be a fantastic addition to the media side but as many people have stated I doubt it would be implemented as well as we would like due to licensing issues

Controversy in any form is unlikely to be implemented unless SI are willing to take the chance, which they've stated loads of times they're not going to do. There are some parts of the real life game that are just not able to be implemented into a simulation without consequences.
Licensing would be an issue here. SI wouldn't be able to implement dodgy ref decisions, drug scams, court appearances etc. on a random basis because it would be defamation of character and would be opening themselves up to be sued.

Real players dive in the game;real players miss training (though I think only regens miss matches); real players fail to get along with each other (everyone hates Van der Vaart); real players are given ratings for their sportsmanship and temperament.

They might not get away with anything too outrageous, but there is scope - if a player gets done for diving, I should have the chance to comment. If a penalty's given, I should be able to claim it was a dive (the best we get now is the occasional opportunity to blame the ref).

There's already a trigger in the game (I saw a thread on it a while back) in which in derby games your player will celebrate in front of the rival fans - so extending it to players playing against their old club, as in the Ade incident, is clearly in bounds.

For all I know there could be a drugs test option written into the game - because it should be so infrequent that it shouldn't be something I expect to see in every career game, but I would expect to see the occasional fight on the pitch, for instance. In FM09 players get sent off for punching/elbowing people in the face, so a fight would be no more defamatory.

The problem with adding all these incidents is that they should be infrequent enough that people don't see them coming - if you had one brawl, one missed drug test, ten diving controversies a season it'd get boring. I've never had a son in the game; I've never had a player miss a match due to sulking; I've never had a player celebrate in front of rival fans. I wouldn't know these things were in the game if not for these forums and that's cool - there should just be a wider pool, so that in a career game one or two things will come up.

And if it's defamatory to apply it to real players, they should just have it kicking in for the regens, like with missing matches when unhappy, and going to nightclubs before games.

Controversy in any form is unlikely to be implemented unless SI are willing to take the chance, which they've stated loads of times they're not going to do. There are some parts of the real life game that are just not able to be implemented into a simulation without consequences.

Ok. What about with regens then? Maybe they can be the controversial type. And start things? Argue with the fans and dive in the box?

There are so many additions that could enhance press conferences and media responses, and I'm sure many will be added over the next few versions. But I'm sure that many of us are praying that SI have concentrated on 'polishing' the existing mess since in FM09 press conferences seem to be the most irritating feature by a country mile.

There are so many additions that could enhance press conferences and media responses, and I'm sure many will be added over the next few versions. But I'm sure that many of us are praying that SI have concentrated on 'polishing' the existing mess since in FM09 press conferences seem to be the most irritating feature by a country mile.

Totally agree. Press conferences were by far the worst feature in FM09. And its something a manager has to do day in day out!

I think it would be great if the game was more controversial. Think of the fun it would be if you or your players not only got into trouble with your own FA but the european and world governing bodies as well.

One thing I would like in the game is when your assistant tells you that when your trying to sign a big name, but you really don't want this info revealed, that there has been a leak at your club but he doesn't know the source. I think it would be great if you could have some sort of internal investigation and find the source of this leak and take the approporiate disaplinary action against him or her.

Archived