I'm never selling a striker to an EPL team again!

Just a little thread here to vent about my own stupidity.

Playing as Man City in my first season i decide i want to sell Bojinov as in previous saves i have had trouble getting him to perform. So i transfer list him and a few teams come in for him, i opt to sell him to Villa for a good amount of money and a sell on fee.

Anyway, that bit of business completed i pop of to the transfer market and buy myself a couple of Dutch superstars to bolster my attack, after a while i forget about Mr Bojinov.

A few months into the season i play Villa, my tactics are working well and i am raining goals in the EPL so i leave everything as is, 4-3 Villa, Bojinov hat trick...oh dear.

Coming to the close season, Villa again, I'm two points clear of Liverpool in the last Champions League spot. 3-2 Villa Bojinov scores two and may have cost me Champions League football next season.

Has anyone else ever had an ex-player come back and bite them so spectacularly on the arse?

Just a little thread here to vent about my own stupidity.

Playing as Man City in my first season i decide i want to sell Bojinov as in previous saves i have had trouble getting him to perform. So i transfer list him and a few teams come in for him, i opt to sell him to Villa for a good amount of money and a sell on fee.

Anyway, that bit of business completed i pop of to the transfer market and buy myself a couple of Dutch superstars to bolster my attack, after a while i forget about Mr Bojinov.

A few months into the season i play Villa, my tactics are working well and i am raining goals in the EPL so i leave everything as is, 4-3 Villa, Bojinov hat trick...oh dear.

Coming to the close season, Villa again, I'm two points clear of Liverpool in the last Champions League spot. 3-2 Villa Bojinov scores two and may have cost me Champions League football next season.

Has anyone else ever had an ex-player come back and bite them so spectacularly on the arse?

Gilberto Silva just scored a penalty against me for Man City to beat me (Arsenal) 2-1. icon_frown.gif

I remember too that on FM07 I sold a striker to a foreign club, Inter I think, and about 5 years down the line he scored 4 in one match against me. icon_rolleyes.gif

i almost never sell a player to a fellow league team.

i loan them out to other prem sides if they guarantee me that they'll get regular football but that's it.

i have sold saviola to newcastle once though but that's because he was rubbish and i made 4million on him in about 8months (bought for 2mill and sold for 6mill)because kevin keegan loves me.

he barely played for newcastle either so all it all a good deal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone else ever had an ex-player come back and bite them so spectacularly on the arse? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Used to happen to me all the time. Now when I transfer list a player I never accept an offer from a team in the same league. I think its much better to sell abroad then the chances of the player coming back to, as you so politely put it, bite you on the arse is quite a bit less I think.

All the time. Sold Alan Smith and Emre to Aston Villa for around 10 million combined. Smith for £6m and Emre around £4.2m. Emre and Smith both hammered me with a result of around 4-2. Smith scoring 2, Emre free kick and a Carew goal from an Emre corner. Also bought Berbatov about 2 seasons in for £20m scored 75 goals in 3 seasons and I ended up letting him go due to his age. Sold him for about £4.5m and signed Martin Fenin. Ironically, he also went to Villa and scored 3 goals in a game I won 5-3.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

Used to happen to me all the time. Now when I transfer list a player I never accept an offer from a team in the same league. I think its much better to sell abroad then the chances of the player coming back to, as you so politely put it, bite you on the arse is quite a bit less I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a sound approach and i think i will adopt it for my future wheeling and dealing otherwise, by the looks of things, i'll end up supplying the whole league with a bunch of strikers that can only perform against my team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pricey85:

Has anyone else ever had an ex-player come back and bite them so spectacularly on the arse? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I let Buffel go and Celtic picked him up, which i thought was unrealistic and VERY annoying.

Anyway he was immense for them and scored against me (Rangers) a few times.

i took over a liverpool team containin hartem ben arfa. in the close season, my dumb chairman accepted man city's £16mil bid. for the next 2 seasons, he constantly scored and played well against me(even though he was man marked, closed down, hard tackled!) to such an extent that i always feel i will drop 6 points against man city every season!!

In FM07 I signed Josmer Altidore for my Sheff Wed team while I was still in the Championship. I got promoted, but he never seemed to be able to play up to Premiership standards with me. Occasionally he'd score the odd goal as a sub, but if I started him, he wouldn't score, most of the time. Eventually, the poor performances became so bad that I shipped him to my reserves, and after he hadn't played for my first team for about 18 months, I let him leave on a free. He went to Liverpool, one of my title rivals (we're in 2013/14, so Sheff Wed is the new superpower of the EPL), where he's scoring about a goal per game. He hasn't scored against me, but the very fact that he's helping a rival into a good league position makes me angry, especially considering how useless he was playing for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by minigod:

I always seem to find that players score their first goals for a club in matches against me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same. Also, i was trying to Hasslebank for Rio ave on a free. Varzim got him although they offered him less money than i did icon_confused.gif Anyway, I was doing great, 3rd in League behind porto and Benfica (i had got promoted btw) and i come up against Varzim. Hasslebank has played 12(5) and scored a great return of 0. Of corse, he scored against me in a 1-0 defeat!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by minigod:

I always seem to find that players score their first goals for a club in matches against me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have that same trouble and i cannot even begin to tell you how much it annoys me.

Portsmouth have a liking over my Man Utd squad. Each time I put someone on the market, they always come in and make an offer. They now have 3 former strikers (Ciprian Marica, Fabian Brandy, Jose Antonio Reyes), 1 defender (John O'Shea)and a keeper (Thomas Kusczack).

Only one that has damaged me is Marica. Think he scored 2 goals in one meeting which was the first against me. Since then, about 4 seasons on, I've dominated the league and my former players haven't done anything when up against me.

Happened to me all the time but on one instance -cuddle around kids- I beat the system. Remember to imagine the stenchy storyteller accent, like the accent of that guy in The Prestige.

It was the year 2008 and my chairman accepted a 10m bid from Pompey for Giles Barnes over my head. Needless to say, I was angry and most definitely ****ed. Now, it was actually later December but most of the story takes place in 2008 so stay at your seats first. Now, on this late December night, I miserably trotted home to my run-down 1 bedroom apartment. Now of course, it wasn't run-down, it was brand new, nor 1 bedroom, it was 4 and of course, not an apartment, a semi-detached house.

I was contemplating some murder of a cat, or a dog, or a macintosh for good ol' me. However, I had 5 beers too many and fell asleep. The next day or 2 days later, it was 1/1/08 and when I entered the front doors of Pride Park, he was gone. Giles Barnes had gone to Portsmouth. I cursed loudly, much to the surprise of the lunchlady. I apologised. She did not accept my apology.

3 months on, I met Barnes, when playing against Portsmouth in the fine area of Portsmouth. He said in a melodic chirp "Ha ha, I shall now beat your team into pulp." I then cursed, loudly. The Portsmouth lunchlady was just behind. She took offence. I apologised. She did not accept my apology.

2 hours later, I met Barnes again. He had played the worst 45 minutes of his career. However, as I was just about to take offence to his earlier remarks, he retorted "Ha ha, but my value shall rise, like that of a wad of Google stock, and you shall regret." I then cursed, loudly. The lunchlady was not around. I stormed into the cafeteria, demanding her prescence. However, she had met her demise just 10 minutes ago. I then cursed, loudly.

However, a year later, I decided to check Barnes value. It was a staggering 3.2m. That was almost 1/3 of what Portsmouth had paid for him. I love Portsmouth, yes I do.

-The End?-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dirty_ACE:

I've experienced the same thing. Just another way this game falls short. I understand a player will play against me well perhaps the next time I play against his new but almost every time? You've got to be joking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as i siad in my previous post, it's been a problem long before fm08.

one possible way to avoid this is by reacting appropreately to the "former player returns" news itwms. i'm usually dismissive and it works so far.

Makes me laugh a lot this. All it is, is another one of SI's favorite cliche's. You know the ex player thing. Im seriously still waiting for the hand of god goals to start appearing. Wouldnt surprise me in the least. The games a programm and does as its been programmed to do.

Its not intelligent, why are you surprised. Late comebacks another one. Sure it happens. But when you programm it to happen its going to be common place. Great game, but geez the catch up logic and pre programmed stuff is really annoying.

i don't care you buys my players as long at the price is right.

a thing i tend todo is selling players when they are 30/31. and then i sell them at the beginning of the season for a nice sum.

but with the ''end of the season'' clause. then depending on whether i still need them i either play them or just put them to reserve and let them train - nothing

so their stats go down like hell.

i like doing this when i sold them to a title rival.

Pre-FM07 players that left me rarely did well. But since the last game, and now this latest, I never ever sell them to EPL clubs. But the stupid thing is, they always come back to haunt me in the end anyway.

I usually sell players to Italian or Spanish clubs. But it's not in Europe they do well against me. Everytime it happens, another EPL club (often a rival of mine) buys these players back to the league after a couple of seasons. And of course they always do well against me now!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone else ever had an ex-player come back and bite them so spectacularly on the arse? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Used to happen to me all the time. Now when I transfer list a player I never accept an offer from a team in the same league. I think its much better to sell abroad then the chances of the player coming back to, as you so politely put it, bite you on the arse is quite a bit less I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

I NEVER sell players to teams in the same league as I. They ALWAYS score against me when I face them.

A couple of opposite scenarios:

When I get the news item about facing my ex-player, I check his morale. If it's low I bad-mouth him to the press and he plays virtually with tears in his eyes (especially when I tell mine to hard-tackle him).

As Spurs, I was coming up against Liverpool in EVERY cup comp and every time Torres would dump me out, much to the ire of the board.

So I saved my pennies and bought him. For 2 years he's hardly ever got above a 6 rating for me (always happy as Larry tho')! Ouch icon_frown.gif

Archived