Most bizzare thing you've ever done

Easily the most bizzare thing i've done in football manager: I was manager of the english national team, and my main goalie retired. So instead of picking an obvious choice i decided on picking "one for the future" and put a 16 year old regen who i thought had potential in the position. also, i decided that he should also be my penalty taker. He was playing in league 2 at the time as well.

Overall, he did quite well, scored 3 penalties (out of about 6 attempts!) and played a hand in england reaching the euro champ final. We lost, i resigned, and the next manager never selected him again. If i recall correctly, he played out most of his career in league 2, mainly as a handy backup keeper.

Has anyone else ever done something as bizzare?

Another bizzare moment of mine: I was liverpool manager, and down in the BSS or BSN (i cant remember which) vauxhall were struggling. Out of pity i decided to help them: i bought their most rubbish player for something like $10 million, to give them some cash to save themselves (and as an experiment of sorts).

Unfortuanly they were relegated that season, never to be seen again.....

most bizzare thing was creating a world class team with the editor back in cm times with the likes of

kahn, buffon

stam, nesta, maldini, roberto carlos

ronaldinho, zidane, nedved, viera, veron,

ronaldo (the brasilian), kluivert

and lots more whom i forget

i loved it but soon it was pretty boring winning every game with more then 5 goals :D

I was manager of Fiorentina in FM07 and had run away with the league for the fourth consecutive season. In the pre-season - to maximise my team's already stellar morale - I decided to recruit a team of twenty five or so of the most arthritic, error prone, aggressive, bumbling, incompetent, angry, stupid and naive players the game had ever produced to fill my reserves so my first-team could a kick out of thrashing them in the pre-season friendlies.

I spent about ten hours searching for these players: Only the most hideous faliures of football would do. I specifically wanted Technique, Work Rate, Decisions, Concentration, Stamina, Pace and Determination ratings of around 1 or 2.

Naturally they all proclaimed it was a 'dream move'... which I suppose it was considering they were mostly unemployed bums who were suddenly being offered about £19,000 a year to have their arses kicked whenever my Galacticos needed to warm-up. Sometimes I ended up paying as much as 2k for their utterly worthless hides. Three of them were in such poor physical condition that they failed the medical!

They performed even more abysmally than I expected. My poor assistant manager couldn't seem get them to concede less than two dozen goals per game. In their best game they lost 25-1 (own goal), in their worst they lost 57-0 (two sent off).

If that isn't cruel and unusual I don't know what is...

I was manager of Fiorentina in FM07 and had run away with the league for the fourth consecutive season. In the pre-season - to maximise my team's already stellar morale - I decided to recruit a team of twenty five or so of the most arthritic, error prone, aggressive, bumbling, incompetent, angry, stupid and naive players the game had ever produced to fill my reserves so my first-team could a kick out of thrashing them in the pre-season friendlies.

I spent about ten hours searching for these players: Only the most hideous faliures of football would do. I specifically wanted Technique, Work Rate, Decisions, Concentration, Stamina, Pace and Determination ratings of around 1 or 2.

Naturally they all proclaimed it was a 'dream move'... which I suppose it was considering they were mostly unemployed bums who were suddenly being offered about £19,000 a year to have their arses kicked whenever my Galacticos needed to warm-up. Sometimes I ended up paying as much as 2k for their utterly worthless hides. Three of them were in such poor physical condition that they failed the medical!

They performed even more abysmally than I expected. My poor assistant manager couldn't seem get them to concede less than two dozen goals per game. In their best game they lost 25-1 (own goal), in their worst they lost 57-0 (two sent off).

If that isn't cruel and unusual I don't know what is...

I Love it! Guess what I'll be doing next time I'm on FM?

Playing youth team players for 12 consecutive matches day after day in pre-season friendlies to raise cash. I would then sign the highest rating player on a longer term contract and release the rest who usually had all sorts of career wrecking injuries. Cruel but fair.

• SI Staff

Sold off the entire Barca first team and replaced them with a team full of Scottish players and a few of my select favourites from around the world

I have a habit of releasing goalkeepers based on one bad performance. On FM2008 I was managing Racing Club in Uruguay and released my first 2 choice keepers each after a bad performance which angered me. I was then left with an awful keeper who was even worse and regretted my previous actions.

I haven't learnt my lesson for 09 though as I've released 2 reserve goalkeepers in Finland at TP-47 for bad performances in the cup. I haven't missed them though and actually ended up getting better keepers in to replace them.

I also transfer listed a goalkeeper recently and sent him out on loan after a bad display on the same save, although I wasn't entirely convinced by him anyway.

Seeing Marek Hamsik rot in the Man City reverses for four seasons on the trot, without ever playing a first team game. They were paying him £105,000 a week and surprisingly he was happy with that :D

Playing youth team players for 12 consecutive matches day after day in pre-season friendlies to raise cash. I would then sign the highest rating player on a longer term contract and release the rest who usually had all sorts of career wrecking injuries. Cruel but fair.

haha nice idea did you actually make much money? i guess as a lower league team it would be alot harder as most teams dont eccept and the matchday expenses are more than the gates

I was a bit bored at the time so I decided to start up a game with a load of European leagues. Then I made 20 managers, one for each Premiership team, and proceeded to offer EVERY SINGLE FIRST TEAM PLAYER from every team for free. I then adjusted all transfer budgets to maximise the amount I could spend, and spent all of the transfer budgets on players from Stevenage Borough (picked at random). I then resigned from all the clubs and sat back to watch the turmoil.

The most disappointing thing? A lot of players wouldn't leave their clubs; and even clubs with weakened sides ended up playing well. The end of the season table could have happened in a regular game. Still, after I impulsively started managing (non-English) clubs a way into the second season, it has been somewhat entertaining to suddenly see someone like Nicolas Anelka or Ashley Cole appear in a random match, such as the Old Firm derby. In fact, in the 5th season, Anelka is still at Rangers...

Again, you think too high of SI.

The AI all based on CA PA, not on form.

Do you mean transfers or the ME? If the former, you are correct, if the latter, you're completely wrong. I don't get why you posted that though :confused:

ToffeViola: brilliant :D

haha nice idea did you actually make much money? i guess as a lower league team it would be alot harder as most teams dont eccept and the matchday expenses are more than the gates

Well, quite a lot of money for a newly promoted BSS team in the BSP, I got around 30-50k a game from Championship teams. I called it the gauntlet. I think the best result they got was a 1-8 defeat in which an outfield goalkeeper scored a goal. I had to manage each game otherwise the assistant manager would play my first team.

During a spell as Rangers boss in FM07 I got offered the Celtic job when Strachan resigned.

I took the job, sold all their best players for next to nothing, drove them to the bottom of the league, and was sacked before christmas. My AssMan was still working as caretaker, so I took back the Rangers job and won the league!

It's harder in the newer versions because fans get understandably confused when you recruit that fat, forty-something beerswilling smoker rather than, say: Messi. :D
hehe this reminds me of the film Mike Basset: England Manager where he writes his team selection on the back of a fag packet and ends up picking Benson and Hedges!

Well, quite a lot of money for a newly promoted BSS team in the BSP, I got around 30-50k a game from Championship teams. I called it the gauntlet. I think the best result they got was a 1-8 defeat in which an outfield goalkeeper scored a goal. I had to manage each game otherwise the assistant manager would play my first team.

ok i see i'm managing in the N.Irish second Div teams that high wont accept my friendlys and as i'm nearly 200k in the red i need to make some money

Archived