Knowing when a goal is coming !!

I play FM regulary on the Key higlights setting. Ive played so much and can not put my finger on it but I seem to know when there is going to be a goal. All other addicts who play as regulary as me will probably know this to.. Or am i phsycic?????

T

I've noticed that since CM 03/04, in the match engine, if the highlight is slightly longer than usual then there's a high probability that there's going to be a goal. If the opportunity arrives after only a few seconds then usually the player misses. However this isn't true of throw-ins or free-kicks where it seems to be quite random.

Also, it's incredibly easy to tell when you're going to score from a corner, because the corner-taker waits for a few seconds before taking it.

I've noticed that since CM 03/04, in the match engine, if the highlight is slightly longer than usual then there's a high probability that there's going to be a goal.

This is how I know there is going to be a goal when I watch MOTD :thup:

You can also tell when a goal's going to be ruled out for offside because the flashing 'GOAL!!!' text appears slightly later than usual after the ball crosses the line. And the linesman doesn't run to the half-way line. And the goal symbol (the little picture of a football) doesn't show in TV view near the advanced controls match overview thing.

I play FM regulary on the Key higlights setting. Ive played so much and can not put my finger on it but I seem to know when there is going to be a goal. All other addicts who play as regulary as me will probably know this to.. Or am i phsycic?????

T

I tend to go with the formula:

4 good chances for the opposition in a row = 5th chance will be a goal.

I then tweak my tactics and USUALLY don't concede the next chance.

It used to be on text only, dunno if it still is because I've upgraded to 3d, but on penalty shootouts if there was a gap where its loading before the penalty, he would always miss.

Now it happens on cup draws, where there's a big pause it's always you.

I always know when it's an offside goal: The commentary freezes just after you've scored for a complete second. Shouldn't do that in my opinion. Completely screws up the moment. I actually wanna think I've scored and be disappointed later. The way it is now I already know it's an offside goal when I see it happening. Very sloppy.

Another thing: Red cards and/or second yellows are very predictable as well. You know that your player is going to be send off if you get a highlight just because of one foul. After all, yellow cards aren't usually a key highlight, only when it leads to a big chance or a goal.

Most predictable goals are errors. When you've been watching some boring football for a couple of seconds, and one of your midfielders plays the ball way backwards and there's a striker on your screen, you know you're in trouble.

Another annoying thing is when wingers dribble to the byline, cut inside and score in the first corner. Happens to me all the time. Both in my and in the opponent's goal.

There is also one type of goal I score at least once per two games: My winger goes to the byline, crosses it and low and behold: My central midfielder comes late into the box and heads it in unmarked. I can always see that one coming from miles away. I like to think that this one is just the result of my brilliant tactics, but my gut-feeling says otherwise.

3D is great fun, but it also shows the flaws (maybe that's a bit harsh, let's keep it at "unpolished edges") of the match engine.

I only use commentary (very old computer) and I can often predict when the oppo are going to score. I only have to say "They're going to score this one" and - up comes the flashing commentary!

this has been an issue for many a year.

this is something SI should focus on! i'd rather have 2d dots & word-commentary but a better match engine than see 100s of 'improvements' that don't improve the key facet of the game.

the match engines predictability is THE single biggest problem with the game, in my opinion & when i see people asking SI to put trivial improvements into the game instead of improving THE key part of the game is trivial.

A few key events tell me that the opposition is about to score. If my players hoof it clear to half way (and to the opposition) when a simple pass is on or if one of my players is second to the ball when he was much closer to it and then in the tussle comes off second best then I know a goal is coming.

Archived