Laptop overheating

As was hinted at above, try putting it anywhere that gets a bit more air around the laptop itself and see if that makes a difference. You may end up having to prop it up on some books or something while it's on your knee to allow the air to get underneath it.

As was hinted at above, try putting it anywhere that gets a bit more air around the laptop itself and see if that makes a difference. You may end up having to prop it up on some books or something while it's on your knee to allow the air to get underneath it.

B-o-o-k? lol, Shame, i quite enjoyed the heat gradually making me sterile!

oh right thought would be a MAC as they have these problems

you could try buying usb fans not sure if they work i know you can get them for games consoles

that best bet

Yeah i have one for my PS3, im not too cinvinced they work. Is there any sttings i can change on the computer or anything? I only have FM running with nothing in the background.

You happen to have your system overclocked? :p This usually causes the thing to heat up like crazy... If not I'd suggest you take it to a store and have the thing checked.

No overclocking involved as i've heard its harder to do with laptops??!! If i take it back to the shops they will only say they cant do anything as it only happens whilst using FM!

My laptop seems to be over heating and cutting out whilst playing FM. Does anybody have any tips on how i could stop this as its quite frustrating when your winning a game and it cuts out, cheers :thup:

Make sure it's on a table and not next to a hot object (coffee etc).

Ive got this same problem with my Toshiba laptop with similar spec to yours. Happens once a day usually. Havent figured out how to stop it yet, I thought one of the fans inside may have broke but really dont want to send it off for repairs and be without it for a week

i had this problem on my old toshiba, what i did was put the laptop on the edge of a surface, as i remember the fan was underneath on the left of the laptop, so as long as that has breathing space it should work, just make sure your laptop doesnt fall!

baker.simon, I think I have your solution. I was having the same problem, which comes about in the 3-D match because my laptop doesn't have a real graphics card, and so is doing all of the video processing for 3-D on the motherboard instead of on a video card the way it ought to be. I tried setting all of the detail level(s) to the lowest settings possible, which helped reduce the frequency, but it still happened occasionally.

I bought an Antec lap-fan for about $35 USD - its basically a little platform which can sit on my lap, blanket, or tabletop, with a larger fan in it. You set the laptop on it, and its designed to push air away (out to the sides).

It works a treat.

With the Antec fan set on "Low" I have had FM crash my laptop exactly once, on a very hot day (90+ F); with the Antec fan set on "High" it has never crashed, but that's loud enough that I prefer it on "Low" if I can get away with it.

Hope that helps!

baker.simon, I think I have your solution. I was having the same problem, which comes about in the 3-D match because my laptop doesn't have a real graphics card, and so is doing all of the video processing for 3-D on the motherboard instead of on a video card the way it ought to be. I tried setting all of the detail level(s) to the lowest settings possible, which helped reduce the frequency, but it still happened occasionally.

I bought an Antec lap-fan for about $35 USD - its basically a little platform which can sit on my lap, blanket, or tabletop, with a larger fan in it. You set the laptop on it, and its designed to push air away (out to the sides).

It works a treat.

With the Antec fan set on "Low" I have had FM crash my laptop exactly once, on a very hot day (90+ F); with the Antec fan set on "High" it has never crashed, but that's loud enough that I prefer it on "Low" if I can get away with it.

Hope that helps!

Could do the trick, and it seems to match as it never really happened over the winter (i dont have heating on much as its a frill the mrs doesnt deserve!) and has only started doing it as its warmed up outside. Amaroq congrats on becoming a mod, and do you have a link to the product you suggested? Cheers

Was going to suggest cleaning the fans; using a hoover can work but be careful as it could damage it! Further, is your battery life very low as it can sometimes be the battery that is causing the overheating. My old laptop used to get immensly hot due to the battery but did not cut out, so wondering whether that could be a possibility?!?

if its under waranty take it too wherever you got it from and get them to sort it, its probably the fan being clogged tho that was the problem with mine. if its not under warranty i think pc world do it for a reasonable price or just use a hoover but thats more risky

Could do the trick, and it seems to match as it never really happened over the winter (i dont have heating on much as its a frill the mrs doesnt deserve!) and has only started doing it as its warmed up outside. Amaroq congrats on becoming a mod, and do you have a link to the product you suggested? Cheers

Thanks, mate!

Here's an amazon.com link, but I suggest you research locally to see if you can find a better deal: Amazon.com: Antec USB-powered notebook cooler

I was having the same problem with my laptop whilst playing FM and Battlefield 2.

As suggested, place a hoover over the fans to clean them; dont leave it there for too long obviously.

I did have one of those fan mats, brought it from ebay; never thought it was that good actually; maybe because i only purchased a cheap one:o

If you are playing at home, i found the best thing for it was to place the laptop on one of those glass worktop protectors (from the kitchen). I guess the glass never conducted the heat that was exhausted from the laptop, and hence the laptop was not effectively sat in its own heat.

Hope that helps...

I also am having this problem of overheating.

I try and keep it ventilated and after a while of playing I turn off the laptop for 5-10 mins to let it cool down.

Amaroq's suggestion is excellent. I also find that the temperature of the laptop goes up in 3d mode but it doesn't the rest of the time ( I have CoreTemp which allows me to monitor the temperature).

It's not a brilliant idea to blow into your computer and there are several reasons why using a hoover isn't very clever either (even though everyone does it)

Take the fans out and clean them or use compressed air. Also make sure the vents are not clogged up.

i had the same, running fm 09 on an acer aspire 5920, downloaded speed fan & bought antec laptop cooler this solved all my probs, can run fm09, burn a disc & convert files for my iphone without anything overheating

antec laptop cooler http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-NOTEBOOK-COOLER-200-Notebook/dp/B001GMR6T4/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I27036Q6LLP1BX&colid=1TE19MHSIM2WY

speedfan www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

hope this helps mate

This has happened to me a few times on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop. FM is the only game I play on it though so I don't know if other games will give me a problem! I have no idea how to get to the fans on them and I'm not about to go poking about as I don't know enough about computers! I may try either a fan cooler or one of those stands you can buy to take the heat away.

I bought one of those laptop fan/cooling things. It seems to help. For a cheaper option, four beer bottle caps under the four corners is usually enough height to get some air flow underneath.

Or take that offer from Iceland's national team very seriously and move up there.

This has happened to me a few times on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop. FM is the only game I play on it though so I don't know if other games will give me a problem! I have no idea how to get to the fans on them and I'm not about to go poking about as I don't know enough about computers! I may try either a fan cooler or one of those stands you can buy to take the heat away.

Same laptop as me and I've had overheating problems with some games...

Yeah one of my friends has a similar model and it seems to happen to her a lot too, and she doesn't even play games! I'm looking into possible laptop coolers now, although I think I need to clean the fans as well but I can't find a screwdriver small enough to open it up!

It seems to be a common problem with laptops these days. Certain compaines are flogging shoddy goods and it shouldn't be acceptable. The only solution is to ensure the model you purchase is not prone to overheating and shun them otherwise.

Take the bottom off and clean the fans out, I guarantee they'll be full of dust and lint.

Both fans should be reasonably accessible, remember one sucks and one blows and all the crap will be trapped on the inside of the exhaust vent so there's no way you'll get it out without doing this.

Take the bottom off and clean the fans out, I guarantee they'll be full of dust and lint.

Both fans should be reasonably accessible, remember one sucks and one blows and all the crap will be trapped on the inside of the exhaust vent so there's no way you'll get it out without doing this.

Absolutely. I noticed that a few people are understandably reluctant to open up their computer and tinker with the components but it is very simple if you take the time to learn how to do it.

The easiest way is just to go to YouTube and watch a bunch of videos. There is nothing that cannot be learned from YouTube.

Is there a way to find out the temperature of the processor?

Coretemp , Speedfan or Realtemp (Search on google for the software links) is what I generally use. They might not work older PC's however, as the motherboard needs thermal sensing for the programs to work.

Archived