Lack of Career Progression

What always end up killing this game for me is the lack of career progression. I started with Bromley. It is now 2017 and they are clinging on in the Championship. But I have nowehere to go. Ground capacity 5000, mostly standing!!!! And again (same as FM 08) nobody will give me a job - which I find amazing and boring in equal measure. You would think a bigger would would give me a shot. But nope.....what do you do and I mean e. g Crystal Palace turn me down, not Real Madrid!! SI it is a game, those that with LLM I guess want to progress and yes one day manage the Red Devils...

I agree, it is too hard to get a job at a bigger club. Even if you take a BSN club to the CCC in consecutive season - I doubt you will get an offer from another CCC club which is unrealistic. I had this problem in my first 09 game, I took Hyde to the Championship and couldn't get a better job in England. I ended up moving a relegation battler in the second tier in Italy

It's things like this that just hammer home how badly this series has stalled. Just about every area of this game with regard to long term play is flawed in comparison to superior versions like fm07.

Where has the love gone SI? You used to give us beautifully crafted well balanced games that we could play for years, but now you churn out ugly deformed abominations like fm09. Oh but of course we get DRM and IGA now to make up for the shortcomings. Splendid.

I have never taken lower teams to the top. The only experience I have had was taking Crewe from league one to the premiership I got offered a few jobs at West Ham, Spurs and Man Utd. Maybe you have to take the team all the way to the premiership which is pretty rubbish really and needs to be looked at so people can enjoy the game more.

Much as i like this version of the game,i agree with the comments above.Your acheivements should reflect the quality of jobs offered to you in a career and take account of promotions through the leagues,i don't think this game does that,at least not in my experience.

I agree with the above. This is why I can never do a game with a team I have no love for. In every game I tend to play as either Man Utd (Team I support so makes for a good game for making kids into superstars) Reading (Town I was born in but since they made it to the Prem/Championship it lost its appeal lol) or Rushden n Diamonds (A great challenge)

If I take a team I don't care for then I just don't seem to have the motivation to see it through. Only way I can do that is if i go to another country, like in south america for example.

I haven't found this at all, I've been linked with loads of jobs above me and even offered positions there and I started automatic unemployed (half a season in after holidaying I ended up at Redditch). I'm still there 2 full seasons on challenging for a second successive promotion, but was favourties for jobs in the league above after just a season and a half.

I managed to get Bradford PA from the BSN to the Championship, When i noticed the the Club close to my Heart, Bradford City were seeking a new Manager Applied for the job and got it. Now i am playing in continental Europe With Bradford.

I am having trouble finding a better job in 09. I managed to get a League 2 job after getting a club into the BSP, but any offers after that have been from 1st or 2nd division Scottish clubs. I tried to get a few jobs from other League One clubs (I got promoted in my first season in League 2) but no one wants me I did get linked to QPR job but I doubt a Rich Championship club is going to give me a job so I didn't go for it. I did notice on 08 that it was very hard to get job until you were managing in the Premiership, and I am getting really bored with having no money and selling all my best players every year at my current club.

Much of this has to do with how you start your reputation at the beginning of the game. The lower you start as, the harder it's going to be to raise your reputation.

If you start as "default", short of winning a number of major trophies and adding to your reputation that way, you're always going to be overlooked for the better jobs.

Perhaps there should be more reputation recognition allowed in future games for those who manage to do wonders (which taking a BSP or BSN/S club up to the CCC is), though start as a lower reputation.

never had a problem with getting a job at a bigger club. Just remember that you cany go to the top in one jump. I went from ukraine to belgium then germany then england (arsenal).. no problems. this was in 08 however.

Much of this has to do with how you start your reputation at the beginning of the game. The lower you start as, the harder it's going to be to raise your reputation.

If you start as "default", short of winning a number of major trophies and adding to your reputation that way, you're always going to be overlooked for the better jobs.

Perhaps there should be more reputation recognition allowed in future games for those who manage to do wonders (which taking a BSP or BSN/S club up to the CCC is), though start as a lower reputation.

I think you might have explained why i'm having problems,cheers.

that doesn't work either, i took afc telford to the prem and got taken over, the new board sacked me, where did i get a job?! Exeter City in the BSN! Now Tottenham, West Ham and Newcastle were all in CCC with the position vacant, didnt even get a sniff!

Slightly different issue but why the hell were/are Exeter in the BSN?! They're one of the most southerly teams in England!

Career progression isn't particulary realistic tbh.

Most managers end up as merry go round managers, with a fair few dropping off the face of the Earth after a couple of jobs.

Not many managers actually start at the bottom and end up in the Premiership.

Career progression isn't particulary realistic tbh.

Most managers end up as merry go round managers, with a fair few dropping off the face of the Earth after a couple of jobs.

Not many managers actually start at the bottom and end up in the Premiership.

Peter Taylor for Hull, started in league 2 i think, they were about to be relegated and then the club got a new owner and he was the new manager. He saved them from relegation and then got them up all the way to the championship.

Thats not the same as BSN to the premiership i know but its still a good achievement :)

Pfft Murphy's Law strikes again. Q.P.R. sacked their manager after less then one season and I got it this time. I was a little surprised but using a scout program I can see my reputation is higher then half the current managers in the Championship.

Hmmm, strange one for me, I seem to contradict the thoughts on this thread. Started off with Sunday League footballer experience and a local reputation at Lurgan Celtic in the Northern Irish 2nd Division, after a few years of relative success there, got offered the Ross County job in the Scottish 2nd Division. Currently managing there in the year 2018 with the reputation of continental now and have been offered various jobs such as Reading, West Ham, Helsinborg and Leverkusen.

I haven't found this at all, I've been linked with loads of jobs above me and even offered positions there and I started automatic unemployed (half a season in after holidaying I ended up at Redditch). I'm still there 2 full seasons on challenging for a second successive promotion, but was favourties for jobs in the league above after just a season and a half.

Same here.

Playing as bradford city

season 1 - promoted as league 2 champions

season 2 - promoted as league 1 play off winners

season 3 - 5th place CCC finish lost out in the play off semi final

season 4 - promoted as championship runners up.

season 5 - 10th place premiership finish

season 6 - 9th place premiership finish.

I found myself getting offered lower premiership jobs when I was in the championship (west ham, villa) and got offered the man utd job once i was in the prem.

Probably been offered about 5 jobs that a real life manager would have taken but I want to get champions league football.

League cup only is only 2 games away from being mine. (7th season)

I had the same at Ipswich! Won the play offs in my first season!

2nd season - 17th

3rd season - 16th

4th season - 9th

5th season 7th

6th season - Battling for Ufea cup!

Ive got great players like Van Der Vaart, De Jong, Bendtner (Scored 22prem goals), Joe Hart.

I sold John Fleck for 18million.

I have a strong premiership team full of youngsters! Steadily progressed but never been offered another job!

ITFC have loads of money! Club is worth just under 90million and 40,000 stadium, But if I leave Town, Ill go to a lesser team.

I.E Portsmouth are 15th and just sacked Irvine and G.Neville, Currently managing Cardiff in Championship who are 5th and he's fav to get the job!

I also said i was intrested in the Spurs job, were sitting just above relegation! Had big sam in charge and they said I had an outside chance but my name was linked to be the Favourite.

To many Foreign managers get the top jobs on FM09! But I still love the game!

I must be playing a different game, got Braintree into Championship and was offered Norwich and Another club in my first season there.

finaly after 5 years in championsip got to the premiership and just knocked back the Chelsea job.

And before you ask i started unemployed and with a reputation of sunday league football.

Peter Taylor for Hull, started in league 2 i think, they were about to be relegated and then the club got a new owner and he was the new manager. He saved them from relegation and then got them up all the way to the championship.

Thats not the same as BSN to the premiership i know but its still a good achievement :)

Without a doubt, it does happen. Just it's extremely rare.

The most successful one would have to be Martin O'Neill.

This is basically right. The bigger picture is this: the whole reputation area is too rigid. Where it comes to managers', clubs', and leagues' reputations, change comes too slowly. This needs to be tweaked - slightly and delicately since there are many knock-on effects. It would be a big job to get right and require a heck of a lot of testing, but I hope SI put it high enough up their priority list to fix it for FM10.

Martin O'Neill and Peter Taylor are the two examples flung about. What do they both have in common.... WYCOMBE WANDERERS!

Anyway, enough shameless promoting of my team. Having been at Redditch for two and a half seasons, I applied for a few jobs and was promptly sacked by a chariman. He obviously had a short fuse personality or something. Now I'm managing Itala in C2/A. Any good tips for the Italian league?

Ive not really had this problem in FM09. Ive managed to take AFC Wimbledon from the BSS to the Premiership and Ive been offered loads of jobs Newcastle is probably the highest reputation, Ive been linked with Arsenal a few times but never actually been offered it, maybe if I quit and applied I would get it but I have no intention as Ive finished top 4 2 seasons running and Arsenal arent even in the Europa League. Also my reputation started as Automatic.

• 1 month later...

the same for Alex Ferguson...started in League 2...the rest in known

Hmmm, strange one for me, I seem to contradict the thoughts on this thread. Started off with Sunday League footballer experience and a local reputation at Lurgan Celtic in the Northern Irish 2nd Division, after a few years of relative success there, got offered the Ross County job in the Scottish 2nd Division. Currently managing there in the year 2018 with the reputation of continental now and have been offered various jobs such as Reading, West Ham, Helsinborg and Leverkusen.

there are 9 years...lol ...there are people here getting bored in 4 years of struggling to get jobs at good clubs after they won every league in which they competed...I obtained 4 streight promotions with Farsley from BSN to Championship, have a rep of 6889 from 10.000 and no other team in Championship wants me...I have ability of 179 from 200, more tham 90% from the managers in the game...So what the ..... is the parameter that allows me to get offers. How this game thinks?

Same here.

Playing as bradford city

season 1 - promoted as league 2 champions

season 2 - promoted as league 1 play off winners

season 3 - 5th place CCC finish lost out in the play off semi final

season 4 - promoted as championship runners up.

season 5 - 10th place premiership finish

season 6 - 9th place premiership finish.

I found myself getting offered lower premiership jobs when I was in the championship (west ham, villa) and got offered the man utd job once i was in the prem.

Probably been offered about 5 jobs that a real life manager would have taken but I want to get champions league football.

League cup only is only 2 games away from being mine. (7th season)

what is your nationality in the game? and what is the level you started: automatic ,sunday league or what?

because this is very important. I have to say that I have stronger performances than you but no offers: Not only one from a better team than mine:Farsley

I must be playing a different game, got Braintree into Championship and was offered Norwich and Another club in my first season there.

finaly after 5 years in championsip got to the premiership and just knocked back the Chelsea job.

And before you ask i started unemployed and with a reputation of sunday league football.

Then the problem must be the nationality

I am another nat in the game ...too bad

Surely each game is different?

In my first season with Dorchester (which is bloody hard by the way), I came second and lost the playoff final but then got offered 4 jobs at League 2 level.

I won the title in my second season outright and got offered jobs at League 1 level?

It's things like this that just hammer home how badly this series has stalled. Just about every area of this game with regard to long term play is flawed in comparison to superior versions like fm07.

Where has the love gone SI? You used to give us beautifully crafted well balanced games that we could play for years, but now you churn out ugly deformed abominations like fm09. Oh but of course we get DRM and IGA now to make up for the shortcomings. Splendid.

My personal experience of FM09 has been the best yet. It is more challenging than ever and in terms of my long term Savona game in Italy I have loved it. Breaking the stranglehold Milan and Roma have in Italy has been a terrific struggle so far.

My only gripe is the distribution of nationalities with the newgens. There are far too many Italians in comparison to the rest of the world. But I assume that is entirely down to the fact that I only run the Italian leagues :)

I think it is more to do with the starting rep, rather than nationality or anything else.

I start on automatic, doing that just seems to make it extremely difficult to get a job even a team of the same level won't come in for you. I did a similar thing as Tony Romania with Farsley. I couldn't get even a League One job after taking them to the Championship in something like 7 years.

I usually start off in the BSS with 'automatic' managerial experience. This hasn't been a problem for me - promotion will usually get me firm offers from League 2 strugglers the season after, over achievement will see me getting offers from BSN teams. Steadily building the reputation results in larger and larger clubs offering you a role. Much depends on what you consider 'progression' though - if Liverpool went out and hired a manager who had had a spectacular 5 years in charge of a club, who had no link with the club and had little to no experience of managing at the top echelons of European football and had won absolutely nowt (cf certain former manager of Charlton) I'd not be a happy bunny. On the other hand, teams like eg Wigan or fallen giants a league or two below would certainly be sniffing around me - and that's how it's panned out in the game so far.

Last career game - Newport County (1 1/2 seasons) to Bury (4 1/2 seasons) to Fiorentino Viola (1 1/2 seasons) to Leverkeusen (5 1/2 seasons) (Welsh managers job running here with successful qualification to a Euro and a WC) to Glasgow Rangers (3 seasons) to Liverpool with a Worldclass reputation.

Firstly I haven't read all of the posts on here, but I thought I'd mention that I've found it to be quite the opposite.

I started of as manager of AFC Telford with my past experience set to Automatic. I gained promotion in my first season from the BSN and after being tipped to finish 20th in the BSP I shocked everyone (including myself) by winning promotion to League Two. I am currently in pre-season and have already turned down jobs at Portsmouth (just relegated to CCC), Swansea (CCC), Mansfield (League Two) and Barnsley (just relegated to League Two). I intend on staying at Telford for the time being. The average age of my squad is around 22 and having gotton rid of the dead wood I would like to take the rest of the young lads to at least League One before I move on, hopefully for a EPL job.

I think there's a bit of an issue in terms of getting offers higher up the tree, as both this year and last my main game has gone essentially the same way.

In 08 I took Stevenage to the Championship in four seasons, was offered two jobs (Stoke and Southampton) in the Championship in the summer after the promotion, took Stoke (as Stevenage refused to expand the ground) and they won the title six years later.

In 09 I took Stevenage to the Championship in four seasons, was again refused a ground expansion so applied for Leicester and got it, have since won three titles in four years.

In both cases, I started as semi-pro and despite being named constantly, received no offers until Stevenage were promotion challengers in League 1, and those were all for relegation challengers in League 1. It wasn't until they were promoted to the Championship that I got an offer at that level.

Archived