FMS Community Thread Mk II

Terk

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James Beattie is signing of the season by several country miles, he suits their style perfectly and has been immense. In my view he's been a better signing than Arshavin (who, likewise, has been brilliant) because he's had a bigger impact upon the fortunes of his team. Without Beattie, I'm certain Stoke wouldn't have stayed up; without Arshavin, I'm certain that Arsenal would have finished fourth.

I might be wrong' date=' but I'm pretty sure Hangeland was brought in January last year, hence why I didn't mention him.[/quote']

So he was...:o

I'd forgotten about Arshavin for some reason - though he was certainly great against the Dutch in EURO 2008, and was fantastic to score 4 goals against Liverpool.

I hate Stoke, the worst side i've seen at Villa Park. They couldn't even pass the ball to each other, honestly it was so bad. They literally just kicked it out of play everytime they got it, it was like watching Rugby, looking for terrortorial play and then hoping from one of our throw in's, we'd accidently knock it out play so they could win up one of the their delap specials.

Anyway, don't want to ruin anything, but arguably i've just managed the best win on any Football manager series i've played.

I just watched that Milan/Juve match and was solidly disappointed with the line-up Carlo sent out there. If you could get points back on Inter and maybe getting a chance at the title why is Pato on the bench for nearly an hour! It was like Milan played that game not to lose a game they needed to win.

To pick up on that "best win" statement, I eagerly await your Aston Villa FM game update ^^

I'm praying for a 10-0 demolition of Liverpool - is that it? xD

If only! :D:p

The update of this certain game will be out in all good book shops probably tommorow night. Don't think i've ever had a result like it.

without Arshavin, I'm certain that Arsenal would have finished fourth.

Seriously? I'm not so sure about that one; his signing certainly gave us added momentum in the league. I know Villa imploded but we still had to win games in order to get back to fourth spot. After another dismal mental collaspe, let's hope for a slightly easier draw in the qualification rounds.

I will agree about Beattie being a good shout for signing of the season - he had immediate impact for Stoke, scored some crucial goals and has probably been the difference for them staying up. Actually, I think Stoke bought very sensibly during the Jan window, and they have had noted contributions from all of their main Jan signings, I believe.

But otherwise, as others have said, it wasn't a great season for new signings to 'strut their stuff', with mostly the established hands grabbing the spotlight this year. Arguably Robinho would be the pick of the summer signings; his form has dipped in and out but he has still had a good first season in England (17 goals or thereabouts?). The only other player that stands out from the summer is Fellani at Everton; that big boof-head has done well in the goal-scoring charts for a DM!

Otherwise, players that have stood out this season for me:

1) Stephen Ireland - surrounded by talks of big-money signings, he's done an excellent job as a local lad for City, scored goals, provided assists and driven his team forward when the show-pony wasn't at the races.

2) Xabi Alonso - gave balance to Liverpool's midfield which allowed Gerrard to push up the pitch to support Torres/'the other striker' more. Probably their most consistent performer this season too.

3) Park Ji Sung - I talked him up earlier in the year and I'm still talking him up now. Worked hard all season and also been picked in some important matches. Been very involved in team moves and chipped in with a few goals too.

4) Phil Jagielka - started the season poorly, as did Everton, but good defensive work has been the basis for another strong season from the Toffees and I think he has been excellent, and deserves to be 'first choice' reserve for England behind Terry/Ferdinand. Unfortunately, I get the feeling with him out injured that Everton will lose the FA Cup final.

5) Rory Delap - ok, so he's pretty much useless for anything else, but I don't think anyone can question how bleeding effective his long-throws have been. Even at this stage of the season, when everyone knows about it, it's still causing opposition defences problems!

I think the Delap long-throw has been blown way out of proportion. Yes, he can chuck it a long way, yes they have scored goals from it, yes it's a good weapon in their arsenal, but they've still scored more goals from corners than they have from long throws.

It's not just about goals directly coming from the throws. In general, they cause opposition defences a lot of problems trying to deal with them, and they've picked up a few goals from feeding off the scraps caused by the long-throws. If I remember correctly, last week was a great example of this: the long throw cause chaos in the opposition penalty area. The ball was only half-cleared before it came straight back in, and with defenders all over the shop, Stoke grabbed a goal.

In general though, Stoke have been good from set-pieces, and that includes the long throws. It's certainly their strength and they know how to play to them.

Delap and his throws stand out for me as its been causing people problem all season, and to be frank, I find it a bit of a laugh, despite seeing my team fall victim to it.

Funnily enough I haven't heard anything about Delap's long throws since Christmas. Maybe pundits just decided it was old hat now and stopped mentioning it.

James Beattie has to be one of the signings of the season for me as well as Marouane (dodgy spelling possibly) Fellaini. Sure he cost a lot, but he has also delivered quite a lot for an Everton team who have overachieved again when you compare their resources to those of many clubs.

Arshavin has been excellent, but I agree with the above sentiments that for signing of the season or similar accolade the player needs to have made the kind of impact that makes a big difference in his club's league position and Arshavin hasn't had the opportunity to do that really (Aston Villa imploded so totally that Arsenal only needed to find something vaguely approaching good form to secure 4th. Hos 4 goal salvo at Liverpool was spectacular, but that 1 point won't change anything for Arsenal at the end of the season).

Looking further down the leagues Ross McCormack could be considered in a list of signings of the season, although Cardiff's capitulation at the end of the season (in a run which saw him miss two penalties) takes the gloss of his achievements ever so slightly.

BIG match tonight! Looking at how things have gone it is quite conceivable that Newcastle may only need to beat Middlesbrough tonight to stay up. I suspect they may need to also beat Fulham though.

Okay, Arsenal fans ... how much is Carlos Tevez worth to you?

Not 30 million.

Maybe those MSI people can loan him to us again. A couple of seasons before he buggers off elsewhere. :D

I'd say, bring in Yaya Toure from Barca. He'll work wonders with his brother.

Newcastle and Middlesboro

Tonight I'm expecting a game of fear with neither side wanting to lose what could be their last drink at the last chance saloon. I read an article in the paper that for both sides faults (inability to score or defend it seems) they are both looking up the league table knowing that Hull are even worse as a side than they are. Doesn't say much for the North East teams.

WBA are on a roll and whilst I can't see them staying up I wonder what odds you will get for all three teams from the North East going down. Aston Villa are playing both NC and Midd before the season ends and it looks as if Villa are already on the beach. Three points picked up against them will make it really interesting.

35/36 points might be enough to survive this year.

Now if West Brom can pick up a win at home to Liverpool they might have a say in what happens at both ends of the table......

Watching Soccer Supplement yesterday I couldn't help agree with the comments about Shearer. Namely what effect has he actually had on the side. Apart from a decent 45 minutes against my team Chelsea in his first game not very much. Sorting out rules and the like has no impact this late on. I can hear the Dads Army cry - We are all doomed!

Anyway my three for relegation: Hull, WBA and Newcastle

Not 30 million.

Maybe those MSI people can loan him to us again. A couple of seasons before he buggers off elsewhere. :D

I'd say, bring in Yaya Toure from Barca. He'll work wonders with his brother.

I think Tevez is on his bike. They (Man Utd) have had the option all season long and unless he scores the winner in the CL final can't see them spending the money. I think he's a fantastic player but with the riches to Fergies hand can't see him spending £30m.

MSI want to cash in on him now and can't see another try before you buy period.

Tevez for Liverpool would be his preferred move allowing him to stay in his house and keep the family settled. Benitez has £60m to spend with Barry top of his list. The Mascherano connection might swing Tevez's thoughts.

However if Chelsea want to spend £30m on a South American I'd rather have Tevez over Robinho.....

James Beattie has to be one of the signings of the season for me as well as Marouane (dodgy spelling possibly) Fellaini. Sure he cost a lot, but he has also delivered quite a lot for an Everton team who have overachieved again when you compare their resources to those of many clubs.

Nope, spot on ^^

We (Everton) haven't really overachieved - I think we've overachieved under Moyes in general, but this season we've done pretty much exactly as expected; good cup run, solid league position.

I honestly think David Moyes is a good shout for manager of the decade. It's only Alex Ferguson who can compete and, given his spending power, I don't think he's done quite as well as he did in the 90's when he was undeniably all-powerful. If there was a manager of the decade award, it'd be a very close call between those two Scotsmen imo!

I think Tevez is on his bike. They (Man Utd) have had the option all season long and unless he scores the winner in the CL final can't see them spending the money. I think he's a fantastic player but with the riches to Fergies hand can't see him spending £30m.

MSI want to cash in on him now and can't see another try before you buy period.

Tevez for Liverpool would be his preferred move allowing him to stay in his house and keep the family settled. Benitez has £60m to spend with Barry top of his list. The Mascherano connection might swing Tevez's thoughts.

However if Chelsea want to spend £30m on a South American I'd rather have Tevez over Robinho.....

No, he really doesn't. All the papers running that figure are assuming that Alonso will be sold, which is just lazy journalism, assuming that because we're after Barry, Alonso must still be on his way out. Barry will most likely be brought in as a squad player replacement for Lucas and the odd game on the left of midfield. I would lay big money on the fact that, unless someone comes in with a £25M offer, Alonso will be going nowhere.

Benitez will most likely have a net spend of £15M-£20M, and that figure will be added to be the likely sales of Dossena, Degen, Lucas, Voronin and probably one of Babel or Riera. Between that lot I don't think we'd bring in more than £25M (and that's optimistic), so I think we'll have a top figure of around £45M to spend. Obviously if you add the £15M for Alonso to that figure then you come up with what the papers are saying, but I genuinely think Xabi will stay.

The only way we could afford Tevez (and I would love to have him at Anfield) would be if we could arrange a Man Utd like loan for him, but MSI want to cash in on him now, so that puts us firmly out of the running.

My guess for Liverpool's summer spending this year would be somthing like (obviously all prices are guesstimates, and working to a budget of £40M after sales):

Daniel Pranjic (£8M)

Gareth Barry (£10M - £12M)

A right back (£10M - possibilities include Glen Johnson, Darijo Srna)

A striker (£10M - possibilities include Alvaro Negredo, Keirrison)

Now that's all very FM-like, but I would expect our summer dealings to be along those lines.

Doubt we'll get rid of Riera after just the one season, and to my mind he looks pretty useful. We won't get much money (if anything) Degen, and given Dossena and Babel's performances this season, we're not going to get nearly what we paid for them.

Does anyone know much about Pranjic? (other than what I can look up on FM) Would he be a decent acquisition?

The rumours are that Tevez won't cost anything like £30 million - no one bar City will pay that much and he wants CL football...

I still don't get what Barry will bring to Liverpool. Especially after the shambles of last summer.

If they want a central holding player Xabi Alonso has already proven his worth.

If they want a somebody on the left Riera and even Benayoun can do a decent job. And besides, for the money to be spent on Barry, there are rather better, and younger, options.

Blanco, Riera started the season very well, but has been really quite poor since the turn of the year and Rafa seems to be getting very frustrated with him. My reasoning for thinking we might sell him is that it's looking pretty certain that we'll be signing Pranjic, who plays on the left wing for his club (scored something like 16 goals for Heerenveen this season) and to me looks a direct replacement for Riera. Don't forget, Rafa is not shy at turfing someone out after just a year if they haven't worked (Gonzalez, Bellamy, Voronin, Josemi, Kromkamp).

From what I know of Pranjic, he plays mainly left back for Croatia and left wing for Heerenveen. He's very capable of scoring goals from the left wing and is technically very good. I wouldn't expect him to set the world on fire, but I would expect him to be better than Riera.

Ben, as I said, Barry will be brought in as a suqad player. Because we play with two players sitting behind Gerrard (Mascherano and Alonso) we need back up for them in the squad. Currently we have Lucas in that role, and I wouldn't even wish him on Everton. That's the role I envisage Barry taking, and he'll certainly be a better player for us than Lucas.

I still don't get what Barry will bring to Liverpool. Especially after the shambles of last summer.

If they want a central holding player Xabi Alonso has already proven his worth.

If they want a somebody on the left Riera and even Benayoun can do a decent job. And besides, for the money to be spent on Barry, there are rather better, and younger, options.

It's amazing really, the same people who ask why Barry is going to be signed, also say Liverpool won't win the title because lack of depth

United:

Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves.

Liverpool:

Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas. (Gerrard plays off the front)

If Liverpool want to compete, they need top class back up aswell and in Gareth Barry they have that, he's the best player i've seen at Villa (I unfortunatly missed the McGrath years)

He's brilliant and although he's been a little inconsistant this year, I think if he was at Liverpool, he'd show the Premiership that he's as good as anyone...

Gareth Barry must now be seriously regretting not leaving Villa last Summer. He was promised that the club would improve and with the backbone of decent English players assembled by Martin O'Neill they have paid the price for having one of the smallest squads in the P League. Villa due to the length of the season are not only standing still but going backwards.

I'm not sure where O'Neill goes next with his transfer policy especially as Barry will probably go to Liverpool in the Summer for no where near the £16.5m Villa were I believe offered last year. Let's say O'Neill collects £11m. The defence looks light especially if Laursen has to retire. Midfield he will need to add two or three and is still looking for someone upfront.

If I was O'Neill I would certainly have a look at Middlesboro should they go down. Downing, O'Neill, Bates and even Alves would be worth a punt. Alves is clearly at the wrong club. O'Neill would get the best of him I'm sure. The trouble for Aston Villa will be that all of the clubs amassed in mid table will be hunting the same pool of talent.

IMO each of those players won't let you down but they are not top drawer talent either.

Cash register rings up £30m. Have Villa got that kind of money???

The draw of the Champions League equivalent to a moth and a flame means that Everton, Tottenham, Villa to name just three are looking to unearth the unfound gem or the next rung down from the top. Valencia at Wigan was the must buy of the Winter but that rumour mill seems to have gone quiet.

Santa Cruz I thought was on his way. Are Man City no longer chasing him???

Both Everton and Villa would love him leading the front line but can't see them being able to afford him.

Tevez will go to a team in next season's CL. I hope Chelsea...

In terms of Chelsea I am beginning to think that Anelka will be on his way and can see Tevez being the better foil for Drogbha anyway. Mind you we have to find a new manager first and whilst the head and heart scream Hiddink it will be Rijkaard.

As for Chelsea cue the sale of the century. (Or clear out corner)

Ballack, Anelka, Kalou, Belletti, Deco, Minerio and Hilario will all be on their way.

We need a new back up keeper, left back, high energy midfielder and a front man.

The season is over the rumour mill is back.................

Markyt - Barry didn't choose to stay at Villa, Liverpool just didn't cough up the cash, the highest they offered was £15 Million, we told them £18 Million ast the very start of the window and they failed to reach that when they clearly had the money (Keane)

Also, Yes we do have the money, personally with Barry probably leaving and Laursen retiring, i'd like

Taylor, Gardner, Osbourne, Salifou Reo-Coker, Barry, Harewood, Heskey all to go, collecting probably around £23-25 Million.

Then in:

Brede Hangeland - £10 Million

Kyle Naughton - £5 Million

Steven Defour - £10 Million

Moussa Sissoko - £5 Million

David Bentley - £7.5 Million

Vagner Love - £14 Million.

Although we'll probably end up with

Bramble, Cattermole, Gary O'Neill, Akinbiyi and Jermaine Pennant.

If Liverpool want to compete, they need top class back up aswell and in Gareth Barry they have that, he's the best player i've seen at Villa (I unfortunatly missed the McGrath years)

He's brilliant and although he's been a little inconsistant this year, I think if he was at Liverpool, he'd show the Premiership that he's as good as anyone...

I like Barry but he's very very good rather than brilliant. He's the main man at Villa and would be in the shadow of Steve G at Liverpool.

He has to play every week not now and again to see the best of him.

If I had to pick the best holding 'English' midfielder then it has to be Hargreaves. He has a bit more about him and the ability to get box to box. If he had been fit this season, Utd would have probably won the league already. I remember and England vs Portugal game with us chasing the game with just 10 men and Hargreaves popping up all over the place. A clever footballer that I hope returns to form in time for the 2010 W Cup. Sven on a radio show last year reckons Hargreaves is the fittest player in the English team. Trouble is he's now very injury prone.

I like Barry but he's very very good rather than brilliant. He's the main man at Villa and would be in the shadow of Steve G at Liverpool.

He has to play every week not now and again to see the best of him.

If I had to pick the best holding 'English' midfielder then it has to be Hargreaves. He has a bit more about him and the ability to get box to box. If he had been fit this season, Utd would have probably won the league already. I remember and England vs Portugal game with us chasing the game with just 10 men and Hargreaves popping up all over the place. A clever footballer that I hope returns to form in time for the 2010 W Cup. Sven on a radio show last year reckons Hargreaves is the fittest player in the English team. Trouble is he's now very injury prone.

Barry would play in a deep lying position, not in the same position Gerrard does. Hargreaves is the best English holding player, shame he just never plays.

The problem is, does Barry want to leave Aston Villa for what is essentially a place on the bench, when he is a first-teamer at Villa. Sure, Liverpool has Champions League football and all that, but I could forsee it to be another Robbie Keane saga.

Besides, Villa themselves are not that far off from the Champions League. If Martin O'Neill strengthes his squad appropriately, it will only be a matter of when, not if, they crack the Big 4. (Sadly at the expense of Arsenal). It would be a nicer achievement for him to lead Villa there, instead of rotting on the bench at Anfield hoping for a couple of games.

Sure, depth is important at this level, but I personally believe that backup players should either consist of good, young players who don't mind spending their early careers observing, slowly getting into the groove of the first team (e.g, Anderson), or veterans who have served their time and are now seeing out their career (Giggs, Scholes). Both types should still be capable of providing something when called upon, but not relied on as much as first teamers. Players in their prime like Barry and Robbie Keane should seek as much first team football as possible.

Markyt - Barry didn't choose to stay at Villa' date=' Liverpool just didn't cough up the cash, the highest they offered was £15 Million, we told them £18 Million ast the very start of the window and they failed to reach that when they clearly had the money (Keane)

Bramble, Cattermole, Gary O'Neill, Akinbiyi and Jermaine Pennant.[/quote']

Yes I agree that Liverpool in the end didn't stump up the cash. To Barry's credit he didn't play silly beggars and demand a move in the way that Berbatov did.

Now your list of players that you are more likely to end up with made me laugh. Probably because they will be close to the truth come August 22nd and the season opener.

Akinbiyi is in the States so at least one name won't come to pass.....

The trouble is Tottenham, Everton, Fulham and the new to the PL clubs will be chasing them all too! :)

Interesting to note this 'Race for seventh' business. I hope that whoever gets it will actually be arsed to be in Europe.

For that reason alone I desperately hope that Harry's Spurs don't get it. My outside bet is Man City. Just to justify all the millions.

Interesting to note this 'Race for seventh' business. I hope that whoever gets it will actually be arsed to be in Europe.

For that reason alone I desperately hope that Harry's Spurs don't get it. My outside bet is Man City. Just to justify all the millions.

In regards to the teams vying for seventh place, I reckon Fulham, West Ham and Manchester City would take the competition the most seriously of the three.

Roy Hodgson has made it clear in the past few weeks that he always takes cup competitions seriously - and the Europa League would be no different. Gianfranco Zola would probably need to take it seriously to earn the millions that would keep the club afloat and/or find them a new buyer. Mark Hughes made a very fair go of the UEFA Cup this season and I could easily see them give the Europa League the same respect - it would also justify the huge sums of money being injected into the Eastlands bank account.

However, my tip for the 7th place spot would be Fulham. They currently hold that place in the league, and with two winnable fixtures - Newcastle away and Everton at home. Roy Hodgson has them playing extremely well, and their form of late has been nothing short of spectacular - as their win over Aston Villa showed us on Saturday.

And just a few more notes - Man City and Tottenham play each other next - regardless of the result, the race for 7th will be a three horse race at most come the final day of the season. West Ham play Everton at Goodison Park on the same day - so Fulham could even have it sown up (especially if Man City and Tottenham draw at Eastlands).

Just my 0.02p.

EDIT:

Any thoughts for the two fixtures happening today? I'm hoping for a Sheff Utd victory over Preston, and a draw between Newcastle and Middlesbrough (if only to keep Hull City up for another season in the Premier League :D)

Any thoughts for the two fixtures happening today? I'm hoping for a Sheff Utd victory over Preston, and a draw between Newcastle and Middlesbrough (if only to keep Hull City up for another season in the Premier League :D)

One of my friends said he wanted a draw to keep Hull up. Because he's going to Uni there next year and wants to see them play wolves.

Of the big 4, I can see Liverpool spending the most money, providing United don't sell ROnaldo for a huge sum then buy Ribery for an equally huge sum.
Why spend so much on Ribery, United should, regardless of Ronaldo situation, sign Diego from Werder Bremen. That player would do wonders slotted in the centre of the park as a playmaker with Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov and the other midfielders.

Why spend so much on Ribery, United should, regardless of Ronaldo situation, sign Diego from Werder Bremen. That player would do wonders slotted in the centre of the park as a playmaker with Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov and the other midfielders.

Not sure, always seen Diego as someone to play off a striker, and well not sure Rooney would like to play on the left all the time.

Archived