The Chelsea thread 2006/07 - Champions

Philip Rolfe

I think a couple of AC Milan players may well leave as the threat of this season without Champions League football and a big doubt of it next season given the points deduction could be a bit much for some of the less loyal players. Certainly don't expect a mass exodus though and they won't be selling on the cheap for sure.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

ok, so according to tomorrow's assorted press, Cannavaro met with Roman on one of his yachts to discuss a transfer, and we lead the Zambrotta chase.

and then Cashley Hole is signing too icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just buying for the sake it

Juni, what's the deal with Kalou ? is he playing this season or being loaned out as seemed to be what everyone was saying a few weeks back ?

If you're playing 1 up front you're gonna be having Crespo/Drogba sitting around a bit it would seem icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Kalou's got a WP, he's gonna be playing.

Crespo will be off, God knows where after yesterday though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newcastle - they are linked with all the rubbish strikers, might give them a nose bleed to be linked with a good one icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan:

so the youth team: how good is sinclair? asked this question last year, i'd like to see him get the odd sub appearance.

anyone of note? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael Mancienne and Jack Cork are my personal fm favourites. Hopefully Cork can get a -9 PA for 07 icon14.gif

• Administrators

dammit Duffer's leaving, that sucks, although I've said he could leave for ages icon_biggrin.gif

Do we get a replacement (assuming SWP is leaving) or is it set that Robben and Cole assume the wing duties in a 4-5-1 with Kalou in support and that we'll play as much with two up as we do the former?

I think he'll play with two up front much more often. We were struggling to break teams down in the new year - teams were getting used to it. That's why he moved to a diamond late in the season.

Means we might see Sheva-Crespo partnership, hopefully it's as potent as it was for Milan two years ago...

Oh, and did you intentionally leave SWP out of your summation of wingers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dammit Duffer's leaving, that sucks, although I've said he could leave for ages Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It hasnt been confirmed by either party yet though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

Duff is amazing, mad to sell him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, i can see why people are saying that, but for Chelsea he hasn't shown any consistent signs of the ability he had when he first signed - i can't remember an outstanding performance since the 4-2 win over Barca in 04/05. There's every chance that he wouldnt want to stay after his contract expired anyway (end of forthcoming season) so to get something for him now is possibly the best course of action.

Course, if he's back to his best (and fittest) after leaving, yeah, we'll look like fools.

dammit Duffer's leaving, that sucks, although I've said he could leave for ages icon_biggrin.gif

Do we get a replacement (assuming SWP is leaving) or is it set that Robben and Cole assume the wing duties in a 4-5-1 with Kalou in support and that we'll play as much with two up as we do the former? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm predicting a basic 4-4-2 happening until injuries say otherwise.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orion318:

BTW looking up on the official site only 3 pre-season friendly matches arranged (MLS all-stars, feynoord and celtic) and all crammed into a 4 day period? icon_confused.gif

so late in the pre-season too icon_eek.gif

what's up with that juni? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

World Cup + early season start (Shield), JM's gonna play different players in all of them, I think.

look, behave or we won't let you have SWP back when we sign Micah and Danny Sturridge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry icon_frown.gif

World Cup + early season start (Shield), JM's gonna play different players in all of them, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going to need an awful lot of players to make 3 teams plus subs since in early season players can't manage 90mins..

When does your pre-season officialy start? i mean first day of training..most portuguese teams for instance have already started (first official game is the super cup on the 14th Aug), but yet in england it still hasn't kicked off has it?

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Jesus BoroPhil every single thread you say the Huth deal hasn't been done.

Huth Says it's done.

Middlebrough says it's done

Chelsea say it's done.

It's done alright, accept it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Valencia close to Del Horno deal

Chelsea's Spanish international Asier Del Horno is poised to return to Spain after just one season after Valencia revealed they are close to signing him.

Valencia president Juan Bautista Soler told his club's website: "Things are at an advanced stage.

"We are waiting for Chelsea to send us some documentation and to finalise an agreement with the player."

The 25-year-old cost £8m from Athletic Bilbao a year ago and made 25 league appearances for Chelsea last season.

Soler added: "We are trying to make sure he will become a Valencia fullback but we have other options as a back-up.

"He is a player that meets with the approval of the coach and the sporting director. If we can sign him it will be fantastic."

Valencia sporting director Amedeo Carboni had earlier confirmed his club's interest, saying: "We are in negotiations with Chelsea and hope to solve the situation this week."

Del Horno missed the end of last season and the World Cup because of injury.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/5176568.stm

please be true.

Youths and Reserves were back in last week some time, maybe week before, first team were back today.

http://www.chelseafc.com/images/-STOCK/stock_training2.jpg

http://www.chelseafc.com/images/-STOCK/stock_training3.jpg

http://www.chelseafc.com/images/-STOCK/stock_training4.jpg

http://www.chelseafc.com/images/-STOCK/stock_training5.jpg

http://www.chelseafc.com/images/-STOCK/stock_training6.jpg

http://www.chelseafc.com/images/-STOCK/stock_training7.jpg

Kalou's wearing 21, and Duff's in them too... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..presumably because he wasn't involved in the World Cup.

• Administrators

Was more that he's expected to move to Spurs so he wasn't a guarantee to be at training.

Mancienne's wearing 22 in one of those pics btw, and since everyone else pictured with a number matches with their actual squad number, could be an indication he's a fully fledged first team squad member.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Who do you think?

Chelsea's defence the only area lacking in utter ****s tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up I DO NOT WANT HIM AT THIS CLUB

£11m for Duff, £5m for Del Horno, conveniently adds up to a well know figure icon_mad.gif

So this is our squad at the moment, assuming that Del Horno and Damien 'pretty good' Duff ( icon_frown.gif ) part company.

1 Petr ÄŒech

4 Claude Makelele

5 Mickaël Essien

6 Ricardo Carvalho

7 Andriy Shevchenko

8 Frank Lampard

9 Hernan Jorge Crespo

10 Joe Cole

13 Michael Ballack

14 Gérémi

15 Didier Drogba

16 Arjen Robben

18 Wayne Bridge

19 Lassana Diarra

20 Paulo Ferreira

23 Carlo Cudicini

24 Shaun Wright-Phillips

26 John Terry

31 Scott Sinclair

41 Yves Makabu Ma-Kalambay

42 Anthony Grant

43 Jonas Elmer

44 Michael Mancienne

46 Jimmy Smith

William Gallas

Salomon Kalou

John Obi Mikel

Hilário

Judging by that list (copied from Juni's opener, if you hadn't noticed), we've got some spending to do. It's fair to assume that Crespo and Wright-Phillips will be on their merry way fairly soon, so we'll need a non-African striker to carry us through whenever the Cup of Nations pops up. A back-up winger would be handy, while cover in all areas of defence is vital. We've clearly got far too many central midfielders though, I still can't imagine why we bought Mikel (much less for £16m). The main players I'm holding out for are Zambrotta and Lahm, who'd be epic additions to the squad. Then leave Mancienne as our 4th CB, and bring in some hot youngsters on the wing (as we don't seem to have any quality young wingers in our academy atm). Sinclair can be our 'extra' striker, behind someone like Gianpaolo Pazzini, who can be our European backup.

Oh, and I reckon our first choice XI next season will be:

P Cech- P Ferreira, J Terry, W Gallas, [new guy]- F Lampard, C Makelele, M Ballack- A Robben, D Drogba, A Shevchenko. SUBS: Hilario, Carvalho, Essien, Mikel, Kalou or [new guy].

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Judging by that list (copied from Juni's opener, if you hadn't noticed), we've got some spending to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, you look really f**king lightweight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Judging by that list (copied from Juni's opener, if you hadn't noticed), we've got some spending to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, you look really f**king lightweight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Archived