Italian for my Rome trip

Hi all,

I'm meant to be working, so I haven't got the game in front of me, but I know you guys will know the answer to this.

I'm thinking of taking my wife to Rome for her 30th B'day, but my Italian's very, very rusty (last done any at school when I was 16, now 28), so I need to learn and learn fast, so I've come up with a plan...

If I start a new game of Football Manager (with an Italian team for authenticity purposes) can I set the language in FM2009 to Italian? If so is the option in preferences or is it only going to be do able by a downloadable pack. Also has anyone used it and if so is it any good and am I likely to learn anything from it?

For those thinking there has got to be a better way to learn a language I'm hoping to do a course as well.

Onkster

You want to learn itallian by playing FM?

So when you are in Italy, are you going to order your dinner using footballing terms?

I'm hoping some Italian from it, but will do a course as well. The trouble with courses etc they teach in a very set way, by using something like FM I'm hoping to learn some more phrases and words that I won't get from them.

Although I have to admit ordering food I'll be ok at getting Parma ham (hearing the groans :p)

You want to learn itallian by playing FM?

So when you are in Italy, are you going to order your dinner using footballing terms?

LOL! "I'd like a 'run into the channels' for a starter and my wife would like a 'shoots with power'"!!

me gutsa. spagetti. Apart from finding out that totti is really bad i dont think it will help you learn the lingo. But good luck! I wonder if you can an elvish pack?........

I'm hoping some Italian from it, but will do a course as well. The trouble with courses etc they teach in a very set way, by using something like FM I'm hoping to learn some more phrases and words that I won't get from them.

Although I have to admit ordering food I'll be ok at getting Parma ham (hearing the groans :p)

That was very bad, so bad, i am actually thinking of reporting you:p

No but good luck, it takes a lot of determination to learn a new language, I for one would give up halfway through.

All the best:thup:

You don't need to know much italian, half the Italians in Rome speak English anyway I went with my girlfriend last summer.. amazing place to go though, and its nicer if you learn a bit of Italian to be able to order food and stuff

I'm using a UK copy here and unfortunately English is the only available language.

For whatever reason I can change to French or Spanish (or U.K. English) on my American version (Worldwide Soccer Manager). Even though Spanish is a strong second language here in the U.S. and French is somewhat spoken in Louisiana and northern New England (near Quebec), I am very surprised that English is the only language available with the U.K. version of the game.

Hi, I'm English, but live in Italy and speak (pretty decent) Italian. I play FM (Steam copy) in Italian to improve and brush up on my linguistic skills, and I must say it has been fantastic for this. I highly recommend it as an educational tool

For whatever reason I can change to French or Spanish (or U.K. English) on my American version (Worldwide Soccer Manager). Even though Spanish is a strong second language here in the U.S. and French is somewhat spoken in Louisiana and northern New England (near Quebec), I am very surprised that English is the only language available with the U.K. version of the game.

Maybe because there is no spanish / french speaking communities in UK :)

If you are french or spanish, Why on earth would you move to england????????

Is it for the weather? The trouble making youngsters? The marvellous way in which this country is run? *cough*

I for one would live in france/spain any day of the week

Is it for the weather? The trouble making youngsters? The marvellous way in which this country is run? *cough*

I wish you had told my parents that, before they decided to pack up and take us from California to Lancashire when I was younger =[

I mean come on, San Diego to just outside Blackpool, how the hell did they think that would be a good idea..?

I wish you had told my parents that, before they decided to pack up and take us from California to Lancashire when I was younger =[

I mean come on, San Diego to just outside Blackpool, how the hell did they think that would be a good idea..?

Hey, england is way better than america, despite my above complaints of this country (since i am in fact irish and living outside of my home nation), I would choose england over america everyday.

Its practically the same country anyway, just america is bigger and there are more stabbings, and i could not live in a country where football is so unwatchable, isolated away from the luxury of MOTD on a saturday night.

Hey, england is way better than america, despite my above complaints of this country (since i am in fact irish and living outside of my home nation), I would choose england over america everyday.

Its practically the same country anyway, just america is bigger and there are more stabbings, and i could not live in a country where football is so unwatchable, isolated away from the luxury of MOTD on a saturday night.

Blimey, Stevie! So much wrong with that statement! :p

For a start, when you get into the matter, England and the United States are startlingly different.

Every country has its issues, I wish people wouldn't run down Britain so much. As for preferring France - give me a break!!

Blimey, Stevie! So much wrong with that statement! :p

For a start, when you get into the matter, England and the United States are startlingly different.

And yes i did make a mistake there:p

however, i stick by the rest of my post

Archived