[Guide] How to Create a Config File

michaeltmurrayuk

[NOTE: FM2011 REQUIRES NO CHANGES TO THE MAKING OF CONFIG FILES FROM FM2010]

To get most graphics you have created to display in game you need to also create a config file for them.

A config file basically tells the game what the graphic is and where to display it.

There are a couple of ways to create a config file:

1.Use a program that will create the file for you such as FM Graphics Configurator or fmxml.

2.Edit an existing config.xml file.

3.Create the file from scratch.

How to create a config file from scratch.

First thing you need to do is to create a blank file, the easiest way to do this is to open a new file with notepad, (or any other text or webpage editor) when you have opened a new file with notepad paste in the following code:

<record>

<!-- resource manager options -->

<!-- dont preload anything in this folder -->

<boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<!-- turn off auto mapping -->

<boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- logo mappings -->

<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions

in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any

place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics

files from the correct places

-->

<list id="maps">

</list>

</record>

This is the basic code that needs to be in every config file and you shouldn’t ever change any of the above code (well you can remove the commented lines if you want).

The bit that you change depending on what you are creating is located between <list id="maps"> and </list> that is currently blank.

Now what we are going to do is create a config file to display the normal logo for Manchester United, the code for this is:

<record from="680" to="graphics/pictures/club/680/logo"/>

So a config file just displaying this logo would look like this:

<record>

<boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- logo mappings -->

<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions

in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any

place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics

files from the correct places

-->

<list id="maps">

<record from="680" to="graphics/pictures/club/680/logo"/>

</list>

</record>

Now when you have pasted this code into notepad, you can save the file, goto File -> Save As and name the file config.xml – you need to ensure notepad saves the file as config.xml and not config.xml.txt.

You have now created a config file, you now need to place this config file in the same folder as your Man Utd logo (in the above example the logo graphic would be called 680).

Coding Examples

The below codes show what you need to put into the config file to display certain graphics.

In the below code:

FILE_NAME – is the name of your graphic, in my example above it was 680 (note the lack of a file extension in the name).

UNIQUE_ID – is the unique ID of the object, obtainable from the editor or in game.

Club Logos:

Normal Logo

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/club/UNIQUE_ID/logo"/>

Huge Logo

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/club/UNIQUE_ID/logo/huge"/>

Small Logo (or Small Flag for the case of countries)

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/club/UNIQUE_ID/icon"/>

Background Right Logo

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/club/UNIQUE_ID/logo/background/right"/>

Background Left Logo

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/club/UNIQUE_ID/logo/background/left"/>

For Nations replace club with nation

For Competitions replace club with comp

For Continents replace club with continent

Also for Nations to replace the large flag (wizard and match screen) you need this code:

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/nation/UNIQUE_ID/flag"/>

3D Kits

To change the kits on the 3D match screen you need to add the following to the config file

Home Kit

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kit_textures/home"/>

Away Kit

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kit_textures/away"/>

Third Kt

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kit_textures/third"/>

2D Kits

To display the 2D kits in the club information screen (like previous versions) you need the following code (provided you have applied the fix from radestock)

Home Kit

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kits/home"/>

Away Kit

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kits/away"/>

Third Kit

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kits/third"/>

Now if after using the above codes for the kits one still doesn’t show you may need to edit the code, as the team may have a special kit they are using for a season, so to enable the kit to show for future seasons you need to add an extra line to the config file, you basically add the year to the end of the line:

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kit_textures/third/2010"/>

If 2010 doesn’t work try 2008 or 2009 etc...

Player Faces

Normal Face

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/person/UNIQUE_ID/portrait"/>

Small Face

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/person/UNIQUE_ID/icon"/>

UPDATE FOR FM2010 (This also applies to FM2011):

In FM2010 the way the editor creates players has changed and in some cases the unique id may change from game to game (especially if you add more than one editor file to your game) fortantley there is an alternative method to get player faces into the game without needing to know their unique id:

Normal Face

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/person/{FIRSTNAME} {SURNAME} {BIRTHDAY_DD}-{BIRTH_MONTH_MM}/portrait"/>

Small Face

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/person/{FIRSTNAME} {SURNAME} {BIRTHDAY_DD}-{BIRTH_MONTH_MM}/icon"/>

So for example if your players name was John Smith and he was born 30th March (year doesn't matter) and the filename of your graphic was johnsmith the line for the normal face would look like:

<record from="johnsmith" to="graphics/pictures/person/john smith 30-03/portrait"/>

The above examples all depend on the config.xml file being put into the same folder as the graphic file, now you can have the config file in the parent folder to the graphic(s) (This is how SI do it, but I don’t really like it) and if you are doing that you need to adjust the code to look like this:

<record from="FOLDER/FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/person/UNIQUE_ID/portrait"/>

In the above example you have the config file and a folder called FOLDER in the same folder, but with the graphic in the folder called FOLDER.

Editing an Existing Config File

This is just a case of copying the file you want to edit to the location you want, then opening the file in notepad and changing either the filename or Unique ID to match your graphic/team.

Using FMGraphics Configurator

With programs like these, the best option is to name your graphics by unique ID, put all the graphics of the same type in one folder, load the program select the correct options and then drag the folder of graphics you want a config creating for into the program, and it will create the config file for you.

FMGraphics Configurator Download Link

Other tools may also be around, check out the various fansites or do a web search for them, links to the other programs were dead and thus removed.

Finally when you are done, load the game to check that the graphics actually show and no error messages occur.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I have made the config of a huge logo through fmxml, but how do I make it show up in my game, and more importantly, after I have created the config (Which is in the same file as the original picture, would it being JPeg while the pictures on the game are made as PNG make any difference?) is there anything else I need to do?

• 2 months later...
Now if after using the above codes for the kits one still doesn’t show you may need to edit the code, as the team may have a special kit they are using for a season, so to enable the kit to show for future seasons you need to add an extra line to the config file, you basically add the year to the end of the line:

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/team/UNIQUE_ID/kit_textures/third/2010"/>

If 2010 doesn’t work try 2008 or 2009 etc...

I can't fix this issue about future season kits. Does it work only with 2d kits? Or can i make this with 3d kits too?

The kits i made for future seasons doesn't show up. Instead, they show the default kit.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble get my kits to work. I have created two kits for cork city, followed the code and made the config.xml file. but I can't seem to get in the game. Where do I put the 2d and 3d files, I can't seem to reference the original kit files.

They go into your User Data folder which by default is \My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\

You'll need to create a Graphics folder within that location if you don't already have one and then put the kits and config file within the same folder within the Graphics folder. (The name of the subfolders don't matter as long as they are in the graphics folder.)

• 5 months later...

ive followed every step in your posts to make new logos, and to apply them to a newly created team, but the badges don't show for my new team, but still do for the origional teams, for example, i add my team to premier league, all other league teams (except wigan, who i took out too add my team) show up with logos on both new manager screen and in-game. the unique ID is correct and i haven't mistyped the xml config file, and i know the correct boxes are ticked on preferences because the other teams' logos are showing up. so any ideas n what i've done wrong?:( or can u tell me who i could send the badge too and they could make it work. i've been trying to fix it for a whole day and still no joy

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Can anyone help with this.

Im just trying to add individual pictures into players who I have within my squad.

Im trying to load a player called Pape Sarr - his unique player ID is "106432"

I have unticked the box staying - "use skin cache" and have the box ticked "reload skin on confirm"

Here is a jpeg of my config.xml file and the picture im trying to use.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3328/footballthing.png

I cant see where ive gone wrong.... ???

Can anyone help with this.

Im just trying to add individual pictures into players who I have within my squad.

Im trying to load a player called Pape Sarr - his unique player ID is "106432"

I have unticked the box staying - "use skin cache" and have the box ticked "reload skin on confirm"

Here is a jpeg of my config.xml file and the picture im trying to use.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3328/footballthing.png

I cant see where ive gone wrong.... ???

Can anyone help me with this, as Ive done everything this thread has asked and yet this picture wont work...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In FM2010 the way the editor creates players has changed and in some cases the unique id may change from game to game (especially if you add more than one editor file to your game) fortantley there is an alternative method to get player faces into the game without needing to know their unique id:

Normal Face

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/person/{FIRSTNAME} {SURNAME} {BIRTHDAY_DD}-{BIRTH_MONTH_MM}/portrait"/>

Small Face

<record from="FILE_NAME" to="graphics/pictures/person/{FIRSTNAME} {SURNAME} {BIRTHDAY_DD}-{BIRTH_MONTH_MM}/icon"/>

So for example if your players name was John Smith and he was born 30th March (year doesn't matter) and the filename of your graphic was johnsmith the line for the normal face would look like:

<record from="johnsmith" to="graphics/pictures/person/john smith 30-03/portrait"/>

Not working ...

Has anyone tried and it worked?

• 1 month later...
Not working ...

Has anyone tried and it worked?

I've got same problem. Works fine if I use the ID, but when I put /fred bloggs 31-01/ I just get the default faces.

Has the syntax changed for 2011?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

anybody ( I really hope this thread still alive),

can I, FOR EXAMPLE, create a team and then take man utd's red (as my home kit), chelsea's blue (as my away kit), and liverpool's black (as my 3rd kit)?

if this is possible, pliz guide me step by step. btw, I got the kits pack already.

and one more thing, how can I take arsenal's logo as my team logo.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Normal Face

Small Face

is there a similar thing for clubs and competitions? I've got a number of created clubs and competitions for which I would like to add a logo but their unique ID numbers will be the same as other created clubs and competitions because I'm using multiple editor files. On FM2012 by the way.

• 3 years later...

It depends on the graphics you are adding for example logos don't like it if you use the wrong one, whilst backgrounds require both club and team lines to show on each page.

If they are working and showing on every page they should then its not a problem. (though you could always use the find and replace all command to update the config files).

• 11 months later...

I'm having trouble getting my custom kits into the game. The kits are stored in the folder shown here   image.png

This is the xml code I've got in the folder...can anyone see what I've done wrong?

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<record>

<boolean value="false" id="preload"/>

<boolean value="false" id="amap"/>

<!-- logo mappings -->

<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics files from the correct places -->

-<list id="maps">

<record to="graphics/pictures/team/1548/kit_textures/home" from="1548h"/>

<record to="graphics/pictures/team/1548/kit_textures/away" from="1548a"/>

<record to="graphics/pictures/team/1548/kit_textures/third" from="1548t"/>

<record to="graphics/pictures/team/1548/kits/home" from="1548h"/>

<record to="graphics/pictures/team/1548/kits/away" from="1548a"/>

<record to="graphics/pictures/team/1548/kits/third" from="1548t"/>

</list>

</record>

Archived