Ole Gunnar Solskjær tactic?

Manchester United is flying at the moment. Entertaining, attacking football. I really want to play with a tactic like that in FM20, but I'm tactically clueless. Can anyone help with a recreation?

What I know:

It's a 4231 fluid formation. 

The front 3 (Rashford/Martial/Greenwood) seems to be rotating occasionally.

Pogba DLP? Matic with a defensive role.

Bruno is everywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Not sure if a literal recreation is possible in FM - especially as real-life managers adjust their tactics both between and during matches - but here is what I believe could be pretty close to how Utd play under Ole at the moment:

AF

IFsu            AMsu            IWat

CMde   DLPsu

WBsu   BPDde  CDde   WBsu

GK

Positive

- higher tempo, shorter passing, run at defence, pass into space, low crosses ...

- counter ...

- DL and LOE can vary (sometimes higher DL/standard LOE, and sometimes standard DL/lower LOE)

I would probably start with the above, watch carefully what happens on the pitch and then gradually tweak as I see fit.

35 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Not sure if a literal recreation is possible in FM - especially as real-life managers adjust their tactics both between and during matches - but here is what I believe could be pretty close to how Utd play under Ole at the moment:

AF

IFsu            AMsu            IWat

CMde   DLPsu

WBsu   BPDde  CDde   WBsu

GK

Positive

- higher tempo, shorter passing, run at defence, pass into space, low crosses ...

- counter ...

- DL and LOE can vary (sometimes higher DL/standard LOE, and sometimes standard DL/lower LOE)

I would probably start with the above, watch carefully what happens on the pitch and then gradually tweak as I see fit.

That seems like a good start. Will test it out and try to tweak it as I go. Thanks.

I'd do it more like this, which is more like the defensive shape. We could debate the midfield all day since Bruno interchanges basically everywhere but also tracks back, and does off the ball running as well as playmaking. But Shaw definitely plays narrower and crosses less than a classic WB, especially FM wingbacks.

CF (s)

IF (s)                               IF (s)

DLP (s) MEZ[A]

HB

IWB (s)  BPD[D] BPD [D] WB[A]

Edited by enigmatic

4-4-1-1 is the defensive formation United uses at this point. In attack its diffrent.

Martial is lone striker, actually links play very good. CF or DLF is closest I think. He is mobile. 

Behind him is Bruno, he is everywhere and the most risk taking player in the team. Roams. 

then it is Greenwood down right, cuts inside a lot. On the left Rashford keeps the width much more. 

CM is Pogba and Matic, Pogba connects the team and is involved in transitions more often than Matic who still does it, but not to the same extent. 

In defence the right defender Awb overlaps a lot and Shaw is more inclined to underlap. Both central defenders are decent on the ball. 

ddg is a regular keeper, not comfortable sweeping up Loose balls.

CF-At

IW-Su        TQ-at          IF-At

CM-De   DLP-Su

WB-Su   BPD-De  CD-De   WB-Su

GK-De

Mentality: Positive

In Possession: Play Out Of Defence, Low Crosses, More Expression

Transition: Counter Press, Counter, GK Dist??? (not seen enough to say)

Out Possession: Higher D-Line, Higher LOE, Split Press, Prevent GK Dist

---------------------------------------------------

Rashfords been the deeper of the wide forwards and also sometimes more like a normal winger so might add PI to Stay Wider to get him isolated 1v1 against opponents FB more.

Greenwoods been more of a 2nd striker coming narrow so maybe that PI for him.

Martials been pressing, linking, making attacking runs... initially I put DLF-At but think he's played like a CF-At

Matic sometimes plays like a HB which can't really replicate from CM and I don't think the midfielders are DM's in FM terms.  Matic also sometimes gets ahead of the ball which a CM-De doesn't typically do BUT this might be more counter or a swap position situation in FM terms and not part of the standard pattern of play.

Bruno has been all over hence I've gave him more of a free role, his attributes like work rate will make him still press when the time is right.

Sometimes there's different patterns but I think in FM terms this is how they setup.  Not sure how well it would do, especially with current FM database attributes / traits.

Edited by summatsupeer

Been playing around with using Pogba & Matic in the DM line - Pogba as a SV Attack and Matic as Half Back. Not sure if Matic is an Anchor Man, HB or DLP (D) in Solskjaer's tactic.

Originally been playing with them in the normal MC line with Pogba as DLP (S) and Matic as DLP(D). It worked well from a team perspective but Pogba didn't get forward as much as I would have liked.

If I knew how to take screenshots, I would take screenshots of my tactic for constructive criticism.

Basically its as follows:

GK (D)

RB - WB(S)

CB - BPD(D)

CB - BPD(D)

LB - WB(A)

DMCR - HB

DMCL - SV(A) PI Take more risks

AMR - IF (A) - PI - Sit Narrow & Free role

AMC - AM(S) - PI - Take more risks, Shoot more often, GFF, Roam, tackle harder & mark tighter

AML - IF(A) - PI - Shoot more often, Roam, stay wide, close down less & easy off tackles

CF - CF(A) - PI - Mark tighter, tackle harder

Team instructions

In Possession: Pass into space, play out from defence, be more expressive, focus down both flanks, much higher tempo and wide

In Transition: Distribute quickly, counter, counter press

Out of Possession: Defend narrower, Much higher defensive line, much higher line of engagement, more urgent, prevent short GK distribution, get stuck in and tighter marking

15 hours ago, Djuicer said:

4-4-1-1 is the defensive formation United uses at this point. In attack its diffrent.

All formations are always how the team set up without the ball, ergo in defence. No team attacks in the same formation as they set up, its always different.

11 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Bruno is definitely a trequartista under OGS :brock:

I take back my original doubts, this is certainly the way to go. Switched him and the performances have risen drastically, stats are excellent averaging a goal or assist each since the change and all round play seems to be much better from the highlights of the games