I just officially had the worst premier season ending in double relegation

Well I started a save with Newcastle United doing the DOF style challenge. 

Now he brought in some decent player I just couldn't get a good tactic going and by December we had been one spot below the relegation zone. We just had a takeover and I decide to leave Newcastle and resign. Letting the new American owners to install Bruce Arena and finish the campaign .

Watford a few weeks became available. so I knew they had a good sign and I could make an impact. Funny enough they had been one point ahead of my ex club Newcastle. 

I decide to make my own signings and go with 2 trained tactics. I brought in some wonderful signings sold a lot 

and decide to get a lovely pressing forward in (Alfredo Morelos) to back up Deeney and push each other. 

The defenders had been dreadful and not scoring a lot go goals my strikers and midfield seemed tall bulky and not exciting. 

I brought in some wonderful players 

Here is who I brought in.

I honestly felt these signings would hit the ground running landing xhaka was such a boost ! I figured him alone would keep us up.

& Macherano was supposed to be my anchor man against the big clubs and help protect them. 

So yeah I basically got both teams relegated ! at the end we switched to a 4-4-2 and had a 2 wins and when we played liverpool etc we only lost 2-1 and draws 1-1 compared to loosing 4-0 -5-0 etc

what could I done better guys ? 

Added some shots of tactics. 

this is my first time really trying Premier League and i think ive just set a record here 

EDIT 

I also realize I sent tactics with players on it. That is not the exact same players I used in game. for the say for the anchor man only macherano would play it in big games. 

Watford F.C._ Transfer History.png

Newcastle United F.C._ Managers.png

Premier League_ Profile.png

Devon Jackson_ Inbox-5.png

Watford F.C._ Overview.png

Watford F.C._ Overview-2.png

Edited by Gross_Ballon

Is there a TI you are not using in those tactics? Are they ones you downloaded or built yourself? Either way it is full of contradictory instructions. Short passing into space? Makes no sense. I will await your reply before commenting on these further. The are all complete train wrecks though, I am not surprised you were losing 4-0 and 5-0. 

Also I cannot even begin to comprehend how many players you have signed there.. I can see 17 and the scroll bar means I can easily double that. 34 players? That is absolute insanity. That is 3 entire first teams worth of players. What on earth would possess you to do that? 

27 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Is there a TI you are not using in those tactics? Are they ones you downloaded or built yourself? Either way it is full of contradictory instructions. Short passing into space? Makes no sense. I will await your reply before commenting on these further. The are all complete train wrecks though, I am not surprised you were losing 4-0 and 5-0. 

Also I cannot even begin to comprehend how many players you have signed there.. I can see 17 and the scroll bar means I can easily double that. 34 players? That is absolute insanity. That is 3 entire first teams worth of players. What on earth would possess you to do that? 

The man speaks truth hahaha

26 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Hey most above those 17 are are pre signed from Watford in real life. out of those 17 5-8 are on loan to the original club bought from. 

I added Jarred Bowen,Ballo,xhaka,Henrichs,Perin and Morelos to really go into the first team up date what I had. 

I didn't re sell the whole team at all. I actually thought I added quality with Khaka compared to say will hughes. 

and his from was ok. 

As for tactics they are all downloaded. and I will admit I barely understand the IT and other things. struggling massively. 

Forgive me if im wrong, but im pretty sure the rule of thumb for a transfer window is no more than four in or out. Im not a tactic guru so cant really help you with that. From first glance, there seems to be waaaaay too many team instructions.

Good grief. I’m by no means a tactical guru but I’d start by removing pretty much all the TIs and change from defensive to balanced. I’d also change the AML to attack and the DL to support or do the same to the AMR and DR to give some variation in your play. See how it goes and then add TIs as you feel necessary.

Yeah, cannot comprehend how some of those instructions have been put together as a package, I don't want to be unkind but surely a millisecond of thought and analysis and this would be realised. Just removing most of them would be a good starting point.

2 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

Watford F.C._ Overview-2.png

Don't get me wrong, but all 3 tactics are a complete mess. What's more, these are not just 3 different tactics but also 3 different formations. 

I was trying to find a single aspect in any of these tactics that might make sense, but I couldn't.

Quick advice before further tactical discussion: forget for the moment about instructions and mentality and just try to create a sensible and well-balanced setup of roles and duties in the 4141dm wide system (because this is the best balanced formation and thus easiest to set up). Once you have done that, come back here and sketch the setup out. We will then discuss it. Once that aspect has been sorted out, we'll move to the instructions and mentality. 

14 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

Hey most above those 17 are are pre signed from Watford in real life. out of those 17 5-8 are on loan to the original club bought from. 

Good point, not meaning to cause offense or be rude anyway. I was just shocked by the number of players! I have never seen the like before! That many new players is certainly not going to help. The squad has to gel, and you have to work out who is the best player for a given position and balance the playing time.

I didn't re sell the whole team at all. I actually thought I added quality with Khaka compared to say will hughes. 

It is not really the quality of the player. As you say Xhaka should be good at a team like Watford. More the quantity!

As for tactics they are all downloaded. and I will admit I barely understand the IT and other things. struggling massively. 

I thought so. That is why I did not want to deconstruct them immediately. There is little point if you did not create the tactic, and do not understand the reason for the instructions in the first place. There tactics are honestly a total mess though, they are not a good place to start, so lets forget about them.

Tactic building is deceptively simple, you just have to put some thought into it at the start (and this gets easier the more familiar you get with the thought process). There are two questions to ask yourself first.

1. How do I want my side to play. What style of football? Do I want possession? Counter attacking? Parking the bus? Pressing? The answer to this will then guide you in the choices you make later. You have to know if your players can perform well at this style too. No point playing possession football with players who cannot pass the ball 5 meters.

2. What formation best suits this style of football and the players I have? You can take the two together. You can play a variety of football from most formations. I like using what the game calls the 4141 DM a lot, because it is very versatile.

Only you can answer the first question, so lets start with that. Then we can look at number 2 together.

I'm going to be less unkind than the others about your tactics and just say that FM match engines seldom favour defensive styles [unless you really now what you're doing and have flair players to make the most of your possession], and the FM20 [non-beta] launch engine in particular favours directness and two up front and didn't defend properly with attacking wingers.

Which doesn't mean its completely impossible to play other ways, it just means you're unlikely to overperform [viz. steer clear of relegation] with Watford and Newcastle playing deep possession football with attacking wingers.

Edited by enigmatic