[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...

stevemc

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like my final FM20 save is over. 

Pre-ordering FM21. I realize I may regret this. 

Some highlights from what has probably been my least frustrating FM20 save:

Was probably going to top the league again, being first by 7 points after 23 games, but my performances saw quite a dip. Still winning but it was always a struggle. The big blip being a 3-1 loss to Liverpool. 

Martial from 50 goals in 44 the season before has just 13 in 22 this season in the league. 

Rashford kicked on massively and has 25 in 22 league games which was helpful, with 9 of them being penalties. 

Maguire made 4 mistakes in 4 games that resulted in goals(no, I'm not kidding), and has been stripped of captaincy and benched permanently with intention to be sold. I don't care how much he complains. Tuanzebe took his place. 

Bruno was Bruno, scoring and assisting despite being in a withdrawn role. 

I think what made the save special was that I managed to create what was nearly my perfect team. 

Goalkeepers: De Gea, Henderson, Pereira

Full backs: Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Brandon Williams, Rayan Ait-Nouri, Alex Grimaldo

Centre Backs: Pau Torres, Axel Tuanzebe, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Harry Maguire

Defensive Midfield: Declan Rice, Nemanja Matic, James Garner, Scott McTominay

Central Midfield: Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba, Donny Van De Beek, Hannibal Mejbri, 

Wingers: Jason Sancho, Mason Greenwood, Harvey Barnes, Marcus Rashford, Juan Mata(Only played here).

Forwards: Anthony Martial, Raul Jimenez, Cristiano Ronaldo(literally about to join and still WC) 

As with real life, Pogba was the only sticking point for me, as he prevented me from maintaining a perfect balance to my play, but all in all, I love this squad. 

Now almost time to do it all over again. I've already got ideas. :D

Edited by MatthewS17

On 02/11/2020 at 23:00, pizzachips said:

cant wait for the fm21 thread. United going to be my first and long term save

Yea definitely can’t wait for the new thread. I’m going to have a little beta save with AC Milan, but then will be on my long term Man Utd save.

I did 8 seasons on this fm, so obviously I want to do similar to that. So much to sort out at the club, the staff, a lot of deadwood still to get rid off, taking the captaincy off Maguire. It’s going to be a fun rebuild, and also to escape the pain from how pathetic they are in real life ha.

2 hours ago, sedge11 said:

Yea definitely can’t wait for the new thread. I’m going to have a little beta save with AC Milan, but then will be on my long term Man Utd save.

I did 8 seasons on this fm, so obviously I want to do similar to that. So much to sort out at the club, the staff, a lot of deadwood still to get rid off, taking the captaincy off Maguire. It’s going to be a fun rebuild, and also to escape the pain from how pathetic they are in real life ha.

ME looks much improved, so I'm keen as well. Looking at Ajax, Salzburg or Sevilla for beta purposes. They all look to be great prospects. 

7 hours ago, sedge11 said:

taking the captaincy off Maguire.

:lol: :(

I was actually going to give Maguire a chance on FM20 but ended up waiting for FM21 before I start again. I certainly won't be planning to keep Maguire this time, he'll be out the door for me ASAP as tbh I don't like the guy as a player, he's awful. Hopefully some team is stupid enough to buy him for 40m or so, even that feels like too much for a player of his ability.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

11 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Good to have you back at the start, mate!:brock:

It's been a long time :D

9 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Hopefully some team is stupid enough to buy him for 40m or so, even that feels like too much for a player of his ability

If he hasn't changed then you could get more, a guy on twitter a while ago set his price to 0 and real madrid came in and swooped him, his value went to 85m :D

can get upa and a decent rotation/wonderkid CB for that price 

13 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

:lol: :(

I was actually going to give Maguire a chance on FM20 but ended up waiting for FM21 before I start again. I certainly won't be planning to keep Maguire this time, he'll be out the door for me ASAP as tbh I don't like the guy as a player, he's awful. Hopefully some team is stupid enough to buy him for 40m or so, even that feels like too much for a player of his ability.

I probably won’t sell him straight away, can stay as a back up but just want the captaincy off him.

With the finances going to be affected due to Covid, I doubt will be able to sell in the 1st window, but 2nd season should be able to get 40 mil for him.

Edited by sedge11

With the FM21 BETA fast approaching (fingers crossed for tomorrow lads!) I wanted to wrap up what will be the final chapter in my FM20 United save.

Season 2020-2021: Part 3

d05580918e9d47c4f900c37e5b98fcb9.png

February and March could not have gone much better as we continued our good form from the start of the year. The landmark result was the 4-1 win against Arsenal which saw us leapfrog them into 1st place in the League. On January deadline day I signed Busquets on loan from Barcelona and in early March he came in very handy; first he scored the winner against Watford and secondly he came on as a sub at 40 mins in the crucial win against Arsenal, as there had been an injury to Tuanzabe and I had no centre backs on the bench - he slotted in and did not put a foot wrong.

EDIT - Almost forgot to mention that we won the League Cup, our second trophy after last season's Europa League. The Final was a comfortable affair as we were 2-0 up after 3 minutes and it finished 4-0. The U-23s once again retained the EFL Trophy, beating Luton 6-1 at Wembley, before going on to lift the U23 Premier Division Cup later in the season.

The only lowlight of this period was that Pogba tore his hamstring on the eve of the Spurs game, ruling him out for two months which would mean he would play no further part in the season. This meant it was down to Bellingham and Busquets to step up and share the burden. The Spurs slip up was frustrating as we had 25 shots but scored no goals. Luckily the Gunners also drew so we kept our top spot.

e8b0fa2e9c108f68188fa2a596aa686c.png

The Champions League Quarter Finals gave us a tough draw when we were paired with Liverpool. We won in the first leg, giving me optimism, but could not finish the job off. The 5-1 result looks worse than it was - we were 3-1 down, and therefore 3-2 on aggregate and so went attacking to chase the game and considered two more in injury time (Liverpool went on to be eventual winners of the Champions League). Similarly, we were drawing 1-1 with Wolves in the FA Cup Semi Final, went attacking in Extra Time and shipped two goals. Lessons learned by a young side. To round off a bad week, the preceding draw with Bournemouth saw us fall behind Liverpool to 2nd in the League but with a game in hand that would see us go back top if we won it.

Exiting the Cups might have been the best thing that happened to us. With Pogba injured and a fairly light squad, it was in our best interests to focus on our number one priority which was winning the Premier League. The team were knackered after 120 minutes against Wolves, so I made wholesale changes against Everton, but retained Martial who scored 4 in a 6-0 hammering of the Toffees. Millwall are by far the worst side in the League, so it was extremely stressful that we needed a late penalty to beat them. Otherwise, it was plain sailing as we went on to lift the League title!

f98b87a045e790fc790a4863a063fd20.png

We finished with a record points tally for the Premier League, scoring the most goals and conceding the least. I was a bit gutted we didn't end on 100 goal difference, but at least it was 46 better than Liverpool's!

My objective for this save was to make a few key signings that, at the time, I thought we should have made in real life (Sancho, Bellingham and a left back - who turned out to be Grimaldo) but otherwise retain the core of our current squad and fulfill their potential. By winning the League in our second season with the likes of Martial, Rashford, Wan-Bissaka and Tuanzabe featuring prominently, I would like to think I have achieved my goal. We were the only team to make a transfer profit this season (+£35m).

12f735eb3d1dfec3708504a2ae049585.png

All good teams are built on a solid defence. Alex Grimaldo really was the signing of the season, providing 26 assists from left back. 21 of those assists came in 26 Premier League appearances and led to him winning both the English Player of the Year and Player's Player of the Year (I am hoping Alex Telles can have a similar impact in real life!). Tuanzabe continued his development in fine form and won Young Player of the Season. Maguire made the cut in the above team of the season, but Demirel played as much and made as much of an impact. The three centre backs got 18 goals between, so the corner routine I implemented in pre-season worked it's magic. Wan-Bissaka also had another great season, playing more than any other outfield player and making the PL Team of the Season. Finally, De Gea picked up the Golden Glove with 19 League clean sheets in the League.  Although De Gea played more than anyone, I was pleased to still give Henderson 14 opportunities to play and develop.

Pogba got our highest average match rating across all competitions, but missed out on the PL Team of the Season due to his injuries. Nine of the eleven in that Team were United players, one of them being Bellingham despite him being a utility option for me. Tonali had a stellar first season, playing more than any other centre mid. Bruno Fernandes improved on his first season, delivering 16 assists and 8 goals. He had 6 injuries though and missed over 20% of the season. This is why Gomes has taken his place in the team of the year. Gomes' number don't quite stack up to Fernandes' but the young player certainly did well. Garner won EFL Young Player of the Season, on loan at Derby where he guided them to the Premier League through the Play-Offs.

After a slow start to the season, Martial was simply phenomenal. His 31 League goals saw him crowned Top Goalscorer, but overall he scored a staggering 44 goals in all competitions. He set a record in the Premier League of 10 Man of the Match awards in a season. Rashford also had a stellar campaign, starting as a stand-in forward and drifting wide as the season went on, he delivered 31 goals and 13 assists. Sancho somehow was not picked by England all season despite playing superbly. Clearly 16 goals and 13 assists weren't enough for Southgate... Memphis deserves a mention too, as 12 goals from a squad option certainly isn't shabby.

The board have just announced they will expand Old Trafford to 92,000 but I won't be around to see the opening of the expansion.

Mission accomplished for FM20 - Roll on FM21.

Edited by Dong21

6 hours ago, Dong21 said:

Mission accomplished for FM20 - Roll on FM21

Good going in the league! Kinda weird to see Rashford as young player of the year - he seems to have been around forever.

Eagerly awaiting FM21 now - United will be my beta save, as usual

7 hours ago, Dong21 said:

The board have just announced they will expand Old Trafford to 92,000 but I won't be around to see the opening of the expansion.

Mission accomplished for FM20 - Roll on FM21.

GG

I hope one day you go back to this so you can get a statue outside of OT/own stadium, staggering statistics for players, love that GF and GD 

Thats good to hear :D they've buffed bruno, only noticeable player with bigger improvements, couple of u23's. Been watching united streams and my god I can finally see fernandes doing a similar level of play as he does irl

VDB is your pogba replacement, literally slots right in

cant wait to get my minky hands on this game (before so many other expenses looking at you ps5)

Will try and do a fm21 thread up tomoz as im off work if no one else is offering 

So I too would like to leave a note or two here before moving on to FM21. 5th season is started.

Season 4 was the easiest year on record, I only drew 2 games in the league and won the rest. Lost 2 games in the Champions League group stages (games 4 and 5) against Atletico Madrid which prompted me to wake up and forego the instant results. Sat in for my last game and duly won it by a big margin against someone from Russia. Imagine it was almost March since I gave my first team talk in the locker room. No one was impressed with whatever I had to say. 4-4-2 Knap Beowulf really is too much. I blazed through with narry a worry and overpowered everyone. Biggest scare came at the FA Cup finals, against you-guessed-it Liverpool. Marshalled by Paolo Dybala no less. I took the lead in the 4th minute thanks to Erling Haaland and immediately switched to a cautious mentality to soak up the pressure. This was my typical Modus Operandi against top teams, big matches (to be fair the entire season has only 5-6 big matches - Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool away + 3 cup finals).

They proceeded to score 2 in the 60th minute, prompting me to go banzai on an attacking mentality. Not sooner than the button being pressed I got a screamer from Mbappe, and we were well level. From then on I knew the cautious mode would guide me home, I was prepared to roll the penalty kick off dice. But dear old Pogba came up with the goods in ET, scoring a belter and taking the POM as well.

On to the Champions League finals - Against Barca. By now, Messi is somewhat a spent force although he actually performs very very well. Imagine him coming on as a substitute with 100% physical condition vs your jaded young boys on the 70th minute. Too bad, by then I was already 2-0 up thanks to Mbappe and Rashford.  Tiki taka was displayed against me, from cautious to attacking to direct or whatever. Setien knows how to press those buttons faster than I can yell tighten up. From a long throw, someone else headed it in and it was a 3-0 coast to the grand cup. They should have known that gegenpress is the new thing in town, but I think Barca and Tiki taka will never be apart.

Its now the fifth season, and Chelsea has just spent 177m on a striker and 90m on a centre back. Not to mention Liverpool still at it, and just spent 110m+ on Merih Demiral. I'm still tossing up about getting a new left winger as a backup to Rashford. Dan James has deputised marvelously, I can't really fault him but he and Andreas Perreira are the only two, 3-star players in my squad (including the backup players). I have not really spent much this year, and have a 370m GBP kitty. If I do splash the cash, it will be for an elite class player and I feel its a waste to have Ansu Fati class of player deputising for Marcus Rashford.

On the subject of training new players / newgen, so far I've not really met any that can be classed elite. My own best single newgen with 4.5 star PA is progressing nicely but is only just a 3 star player now.

I regret not putting Mason Greenwood on strength training sooner. He gained 3 strength attribute points in half a season alone. Now he's a strong boi.

Here are the survivors from day 1:

Maguire - on season 4 he is finally relegated to backup. CB was my most agonising position, having not strengthened in the first season, and Ruben dias going to Barca on season 2. 

AWB - other than those Full backs from Liverpool, there are no full backs more worthy. 

DDG - he managed to keep his place between the sticks, even though I have Donnarumma signed on a free!

Bruno - well I hope Bruno lives to a 100 and plays to 95.

Pogba - He is now a legendary midfielder. His only enemy is his own physical condition.

Rashford - Started as a left sided DLF on a 4-3-3 and is now a proper ML / attack. He is simply devastating and a match winner

Greenwood - has developed rather nicely. Heading and strength are his "attribute weakness" but that does not stop him from scoring 1 goal per game every season, on average.

Notable mentions -

Perreira - so different from real life, he is highly dependable when playing in the center or even on the wings. Always brings a worldy or 2 from long range.

Dan James - he is every bit as good as Rashford when played but of course against inferior opposition. I'm always glad to have him.

Brandon Williams - did not develop at all and is stuck in 3 stars. But dependable as always and has a knack for scoring from long distance, even though he is "refrain from long shots".

Team sheet:

DDG

AWB/Henrichs, Todibo/Maguire, De ligt/Marco Kana, Matias Vina/Brandon Williams

Havertz/Ferran Torres, Bruno/Bentancur, Pogba/Perreira, Rashford/James

Mbappe/Esposito, Haaland/Greenwood

On loan and knocking on the door - Nicolo Armini, Alessandro Bastoni, Kenneh, Mejibri, Bellingham, Fabio Silva.

Sorry for the wall of text I'm typing this on my mobile on lunch break at work..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started a save last week and already in March. 1st in the league but is very tight with Liverpool/Man City. Into last 16 for Europa, Qtr-final for FA Cup and won the Carabao cup

Players in: Cavani 20m, Sancho 90m (rising to 130. 40m paid over 3 years), Kimpembe 20m, Amad Traore 500k,

Players out: Managed to offload Jones for 10m. Will offload likes of Rojo, Smalling, Sanchez when they return. Also planning to sell Pereira, Lindelof, Maguire in the second season. 

I feel like I overpaid for Sancho but he's been performing really well so worth the money I think. How did you guys manage to pick him up for cheap?! 

Also any recommendations for a replacement for Matic? 

On 26/12/2020 at 13:41, BillyM19 said:

I feel like I overpaid for Sancho but he's been performing really well so worth the money I think. How did you guys manage to pick him up for cheap?! 

Also any recommendations for a replacement for Matic? 

In FM20? 

Declan Rice, Lewis Cook, Sandro Tonali, Florentino Luis, Ruben Neves, Marcos Llorente, Rodrigo Bentancur, Ismael Bennacer.

At least from what I can remember. 

Also, don't think you overpaid for Sancho. Pretty much all of us paid that price for him. 

On 15/12/2020 at 10:48, D'TripleA said:

Anyone know how to get rid of martial? I want to buy striker that like cavani but first I must get rid of martial

Transfer list him if you struggle to offer to clubs with an amount- if this is for fm21 best off putting it in the thread above your comment

if not then try what I said ^