Tactic to defend and save a lot of energy when you lead 2-3 goals up

Hey guys

I have a quick question. Until now I never thought about this, but why not use a tactic that conserves a lot of energy when you are two three goals up, so you just defend? Does anyone have such a thing, or knows how to do it, practically, I know theoretically how to do it, but I'd like to see some opinions of some people that already did this. 

Thank you

Thanks. I took the tactic I use, made it very defensive, lowered a lot the block, keeping it compact, changed to full backs and defensive wingers, some minor tweaks, and it works fine, even if I change it after 30 minutes I don't concede at all. At least in the 4 games I got to test it when I was already winning. In the last game the opposition had only 1 more shot in 60 minutes, but I also barely had any shot :P

2 hours ago, godzilu said:

Thanks. I took the tactic I use, made it very defensive, lowered a lot the block, keeping it compact, changed to full backs and defensive wingers, some minor tweaks, and it works fine, even if I change it after 30 minutes I don't concede at all. At least in the 4 games I got to test it when I was already winning. In the last game the opposition had only 1 more shot in 60 minutes, but I also barely had any shot :P

Good work :thup:.

I think @DiStru_ might be interested in what you've done, given his recent thread:

Well, my answer to his issue is that my defensive tactic definitely is not made for winning games :lol: It's for defending results while consuming as little energy as possible after going up at least 2 goals, or just preparing for an important game. I am pretty sure I'd be mauled if I'd used it as a little team against super teams starting from 0-0 because I am defending quite deep.

Also, I am barely attacking ( how the heck do you score if you don't attack :P ), and instruct my players to harass the opposition while passing the ball as much as possible.

EDIT PS: To me it's a bit obvious that you can't really win a lot of games if you don't attack lol. Even the ratings freeze after I change to the waster tactics. 

Edited by godzilu

If I am defending a reasonable lead, I don't move my DL further back - don;t want to invite them into the area if I can help it. If they are pushing on for a goal then it will get pushed back anyway.

My technique is basically to 'slow-down'. Lower the Tempo, shorten the passing, tuck a bit narrower in possession and Lower the LoE - try and play a bit of 'keep-ball'. rather than allow the opposition possession.

GK can Slow the Pace Down, Play for Set Pieces and Shoot on Sight also eats up the minutes.

Plus, of course, the obvious 'Time Wasting' on high if it's the last ten minutes.

I tend to find that a lower block, and defensive mentality more often than not ends up with me conceding one. I would rather get the ball and keep it - higher up the pitch. Play for corners and free kicks and blast it into Row Z if you get chance.

Friggin missed the Time Wasting option mate! Thanks! I will waste time the moment I lead enough. I will review my tactic next week because I am punishing myself with no FM cause I lagged a bit the work projects. 

5 hours ago, godzilu said:

Friggin missed the Time Wasting option mate! Thanks! I will waste time the moment I lead enough. I will review my tactic next week because I am punishing myself with no FM cause I lagged a bit the work projects. 

Be careful with the Time Wasting instruction - it can bite yer backside if used too early. My general rule of thumb is never select it before the 80th minute. 

I wish that when selected, as the 90th minute approaches, I could see my wide players take the ball to the corner flag and hold it there.

Why is it bad to use it if you are 2 goals up? I noticed that intensity drops quite a bit if I chose maximum time wasting, which is my goal for the Waster tactic. Keep the win and use as little energy as possible. 

One thing the waster tactic does is that it freezes ratings, so I think my players will have much less chances to get individual prizes. I don't get the occasional very big ratings anymore, it seems people don't like time wasters :D 

7 hours ago, godzilu said:

Why is it bad to use it if you are 2 goals up? I noticed that intensity drops quite a bit if I chose maximum time wasting, which is my goal for the Waster tactic. Keep the win and use as little energy as possible. 

I would use tempo and pressing controls to lower intensity - Time Wasting for to long in a game I think tends to give the opposition a tad more possession. The tendency being for your players to let it run out of play for throw ins rather than chase it down - gifting opposition possession albeit in unthreatening areas.

That, and it is also what it says on the Hints and Tips during rollovers.

The last ten minutes rule of thumb is my own 'limit' to be fair.

3 minutes ago, godzilu said:

One thing the waster tactic does is that it freezes ratings, so I think my players will have much less chances to get individual prizes. I don't get the occasional very big ratings anymore, it seems people don't like time wasters :D 

Never knew that. :thup:

I suppose the Intensity meter is important and reflects how much energy is spent during a game. So it's just a matter of finding a balance between your normal tactic, and something where you sit deep, pass the ball around and waste time. You need to pass the ball to waste time, I don't think there is another option, since if you don't retain possession you will be forced to run after the opposing players and defend.

Ok, I changed my mind about energy saving, it's not worth it. I used the new tactic a lot, supposedly playing with much less intensity, but the number of match injuries haven't decreased, so it's useless. Even if the Intensity meter is half the size of the main tactic meter and I use the tactic on an average of more than 45 minutes a game, the results are absolutely underwhelming.

Probably the random factor is more important and the intensity one has a minimal impact.

Edited by godzilu

Would love to know exactly what you changed (can you post the tactic?). I thought I had done the same as you when I was leading 3-0 in the 70th min, drew the game 3-3... they socred in 79th, 86th and 93rd minute... On FM17 always felt I knew how to 'park the bus', but cannot get it right on FM19.

On 14/10/2019 at 22:13, godzilu said:

I suppose the Intensity meter is important and reflects how much energy is spent during a game. So it's just a matter of finding a balance between your normal tactic, and something where you sit deep, pass the ball around and waste time. You need to pass the ball to waste time, I don't think there is another option, since if you don't retain possession you will be forced to run after the opposing players and defend.

Do you rotate? If you are playing at weekend and during the week, you have to rotate to try and reduce injuries. 

I attached the tactic, it's based on my main tactic, but with tweaks to change the Intensity metter as low as possible without being plants on the field. 

I do rotate, to the extreme, in a way no real life player would accept. Even Messi would sit a lot in my team, depending on what games I play. I have 22 players I consider first team, and 3 to more young players I give play time depending on the score and how tired are the players.

I don't have a problem with injuries, they are supposed to happen. I just hoped that using a secondary tactic with low intensity would decrease the ingame injuries, and why not, even the out of the game ones, due to lower energy stress.

PS: This tactic is not meant to win... It's a tactic to preserve, but if you are a 3rd league team playing Manchester City using this they will maul you, because you will just sit and wait their attacks.

Waster.fmf

Also, if it happens that my lead is cut under 2 goals, I instantly change to my default tactic. Happened only once, a 2-0 got to 2-1.

EDIT: Regarding rotation, I am even willing to lose games to preserve the health of the team, using in the line up youngsters that are not even close to playing 30 minutes a game. I have at least 2-3 games like that each season. Speaking of the devil, after international games I decided to play a home game with a small team using in the line up 4 16 years old because their condition was 95+. I won marginally, but they played 1 man down for 80 minutes, so it was easier for my team.

Edited by godzilu

Depends on the player you have. As in reality there are teams which cannot really conserve a lead. I made this experience in my saves and in one case lost 2:3 after a 2:0 lead.

Now my strategy is to keep things more compact, shorter passing, low or very low speed, keeping possession but still try to control the game and never use a lower defence line as usual.