Why do my guys wait to cross?

Even if I use Hit Early Crosses it still happens, and to be honest I don't want to always hit them early, I want them to hit them as soon as they are at the byline - not stop and wait for the other team to block it!!!

One thing I did notice is when I added the Take More Risks PI it made my wingbacks wait less, but that PI also affects their overall passing game, usually negatively.

I would give a kidney if I could make crosses less accurate(going out for a throw in or being intercepted by the opposing side full back, headed away by the central defendera etc.) than 90% of them being blocked and going out for a corner kick(from where is also very easy to score).

8 hours ago, permanentquandary said:

Seems like whatever tactic I play, whatever mentality, my guys get into the position to cross but wait for the full back to close them down to block it.

Any tips on what I can do to minimise this possibility?

I assume they are waiting a bit in order to assess the situation in the box and thus better aim the cross at a potential target, which in turn gives time to opposition fullbacks to block them. I guess increasing tempo (along with the "hit early crosses" TI) would reduce the waiting, but as any other instruction, it has other implications (pros and cons). And from my experience, to some extent it also varies from player to player.

First thing I would look at it is the question "Is there a viable option for them to cross to?"

All well and good selecting Early Crosses, playing Wingers, Cross from byline etc, but noone in the box they can get the ball to will slow it all down and allow the defenders to close them.

I do think it's an issue in this ME though, it seems to happen a lot more than it should, but at the end of the day, I usually find a tactic /instructions that create chances from those positions.

On 10/02/2019 at 07:13, Experienced Defender said:

I assume they are waiting a bit in order to assess the situation in the box and thus better aim the cross at a potential target, which in turn gives time to opposition fullbacks to block them. I guess increasing tempo (along with the "hit early crosses" TI) would reduce the waiting, but as any other instruction, it has other implications (pros and cons). And from my experience, to some extent it also varies from player to player.

You're playing fm19 or?

On 10/02/2019 at 00:13, Experienced Defender said:

This phenomenon happens regardless of tactical instruction or player level. I'm seeing it even in friendlies against minnow teams.

7 hours ago, permanentquandary said:

This phenomenon happens regardless of tactical instruction or player level. I'm seeing it even in friendlies against minnow teams.

My players' crosses also get blocked sometimes, but not to an extent that I would consider it a ME issue (bug). Sometimes my players also wait before crossing longer than I would like them to, but really not so often as it appears to happen to people complaining about this. Maybe because I currently play with wide midfielders instead of wide forwards, though my strikers and other central players also make crosses when they get into wider areas and for me it works pretty okay so far.

This happens to me too.  At first I thought acceleration attributes might have been too low, but I noticed it happening when my player was wide open in space.  Then I thought it might be that I didn't have someone to cross to, but there were consistently targets.  Now I'm left with vision because maybe my fullbacks can't see the target.  I think it may be vision as my wingers are much more successful hitting getting their crosses off, but fullbacks are dreadful for me.  

I like the fact that crossing has become more of a challenge. It used to be too easy, now we are forced to create situations where crosses work

I've noticed many factors that influence the success of my crosses. 'Hit early crosses'  can help but also consider team width, ball speed, the movement that precedes the attempted cross, possibly occupying the full back with one player and having another nearby player execute the cross, creating one on ones with lots of surrounding space (resulting in the defender sitting off the attacker a bit more), etc

To me it's a ME bug. My wide players refuse to cross from open space - a back pass or center pass is always their solution. It seems a winger (or FB/WB) has to have an engaging opponent nearby to consider the cross, which results in the wide player "luring" the opponent in to cross it to his shins. So frustrating as I see several minor fixes to the ME. It still doesn't look like football though.

Archived