Manager's Wages Are Off?

I've been with Bari for my entire career, taking the from Serie D to the Champions League in the minimum amount of seasons possible, yet they won't even agree to give me 300k annual salary. Clubs that are much smaller and have just been promoted are playing their managers far more, I think I'm lowest paid in the entire league. Our finances are very healthy, the board approval of my job is usually at "untouchable," and I won both Manager of the Year and Manager's Manager of the Year last season as I defied all expectations. Why are they board lowballing me and ending contract negotiations almost immediately? I can't even ask for higher than 600k-something, it doesn't make any sense, especially considering how many other clubs have come after me...

Just wondering if anyone else has any experiences where they did or did not manage to get their own wages up in contract negotiations.

I ended up just using the editor to give myself a very conservative amount that seems slightly lower than what other comparable clubs are paying their managers. Makes me anxious as a purist wanting to protect the integrity of my save at all costs but oh well :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Not really relevant as I'm using an edited file that SI are not responsible for, but starting my level 11 part-time career, I'm given a salary that eats up half the monthly budget. If I took a pay cut we could be sustainable, but thanks to me our finances are tanking!

You're better off starting on unemployed and applying for the job (make it vacant through the editor if necessary), giving you the option to lower the salary in the negotiations.

В 30.01.2019 в 8:41 AM, Weston сказал:

I've been with Bari for my entire career, taking the from Serie D to the Champions League in the minimum amount of seasons possible, yet they won't even agree to give me 300k annual salary. Clubs that are much smaller and have just been promoted are playing their managers far more, I think I'm lowest paid in the entire league. Our finances are very healthy, the board approval of my job is usually at "untouchable," and I won both Manager of the Year and Manager's Manager of the Year last season as I defied all expectations. Why are they board lowballing me and ending contract negotiations almost immediately? I can't even ask for higher than 600k-something, it doesn't make any sense, especially considering how many other clubs have come after me...

Just wondering if anyone else has any experiences where they did or did not manage to get their own wages up in contract negotiations.

Its a old issue and actually for now there are a same progress. In FM17 it was even worse :rolleyes:

SI know about this, we will wait for further changes

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now wanted by Roma, who've just interviewed me, and despite having 40 million in the budgets my club, which I dragged from Serie D to Champions League at the first times of asking, refuses to entertain even 1 million in annual wages. Absurd. When is that winter patch getting here?

I'm the same as warlock wages mean nothing to me. As long as my club are doing well and I'm getting a decent transfer budget I'm not bothered, it's not as if you can spend it on fast cars and big houses.

2 hours ago, warlock said:

I've played this game for more than 20 years and I don't think I've given my wages a moment's consideration, ever. Why would I even care?

Realism? Unsackability?

Or are you one of those people that tries to sign a contract that is as low as possible so that the club has more money...

1 hour ago, JohnShaft said:

Or are you one of those people that tries to sign a contract that is as low as possible so that the club has more money...

Nope... as said, I've never given it a thought. They offer a contract, I agree and then back to the business of playing football matches. Realism? I have no idea what managers get paid. And the last time I was sacked (by Dulwich Hamlet in the early stages of a Dafuge Challenge) I don't think my wages were a factor one way or the other.

5 hours ago, warlock said:

I've played this game for more than 20 years and I don't think I've given my wages a moment's consideration, ever. Why would I even care?

5 hours ago, Woolly said:

I'm the same as warlock wages mean nothing to me. As long as my club are doing well and I'm getting a decent transfer budget I'm not bothered, it's not as if you can spend it on fast cars and big houses.

I used to think the same way until people on here correctly pointed out to me that having higher wages makes it more costly to sack you, thus giving you more time to turn things around if you get stuck in a rough patch. Not sure my nominal increase made much a difference here, though. And yes, I am a stickler for realism. I finished 4th in Serie A and brought a huge amount of money into my financially healthy club having brought them from Serie D to the Champions League - the board sees me as untouchable and is begging me to stay despite interest from bigger clubs - there's no way they'd really keep me as the (or one of the) lowest paid manager in the league! You can see what your colleagues are making at other clubs and compare.

5 minutes ago, Weston said:

higher wages makes it more costly to sack you

But in terms of realism, that doesn't matter. Man Utd just paid a fortune to get rid of Mourinho, Chelsea got rid of Conte (among a long line of expensive sackings), and I believe several Italian clubs have a history of paying for two managers at a time.

8 minutes ago, Weston said:

I finished 4th in Serie A and brought a huge amount of money into my financially healthy club

Which is great, but in terms of realism it isn't your job. You're given a budget for wages and transfers and the board expects you to manage that.

12 minutes ago, Weston said:

the board sees me as untouchable and is begging me to stay

So you have a choice... are you going to remain loyal to the club that gave you the chance all those years ago, or are you going to be the typical football mercenary who moves for money? :D

2 hours ago, warlock said:

But in terms of realism, that doesn't matter. Man Utd just paid a fortune to get rid of Mourinho, Chelsea got rid of Conte (among a long line of expensive sackings), and I believe several Italian clubs have a history of paying for two managers at a time.

Which is great, but in terms of realism it isn't your job. You're given a budget for wages and transfers and the board expects you to manage that.

So you have a choice... are you going to remain loyal to the club that gave you the chance all those years ago, or are you going to be the typical football mercenary who moves for money? :D

Yes, and if Mourinho and Conte had been on 200k a year they would've been sacked even sooner. I'm sure their massive contracts gave the boards a slight pause and delay in coming to that decision. With the rest I was simply illustrating why they should want to pay me more and why they are able to do so, backing up the claim that the game is acting unrealistically.

3 hours ago, Weston said:

Yes, and if Mourinho and Conte had been on 200k a year they would've been sacked even sooner. I'm sure their massive contracts gave the boards a slight pause and delay in coming to that decision. With the rest I was simply illustrating why they should want to pay me more and why they are able to do so, backing up the claim that the game is acting unrealistically.

Yeah, this. You'll even see (or at least it was in older FMs, but haven't checked in FM19) in the board confidence section, that you have a little extra security because of the cost of sacking you. If you don't perform, eventually you will get sacked, but it could give you that little more time to turn things around.

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Yeah, this. You'll even see (or at least it was in older FMs, but haven't checked in FM19) in the board confidence section, that you have a little extra security because of the cost of sacking you. If you don't perform, eventually you will get sacked, but it could give you that little more time to turn things around.

Yep. My "job value" is at 21% when before my new contract it was in single digits. Still not looking great, though, despite being considered "untouchable." 

image.png

If the club has money in the bank and could pay off your contract its value isn't ever going to be that high though is it? In reality once you're hitting CL football the revenues coming into the squad are so enormous that that you'd possibly have to be earning 7 figures a week to ratchet that score up. 

Realism, yes. I'm a lower-league manager, usually with a part-time outfit whose finances are limited. In my contract negotiations, I do try for a pay rise but I always insist on (and get) a 90% clause if I'm sacked. I think at this level it does make the board think twice about sacking me - which is a real and present danger the way I play the game.

8 hours ago, santy001 said:

If the club has money in the bank and could pay off your contract its value isn't ever going to be that high though is it? In reality once you're hitting CL football the revenues coming into the squad are so enormous that that you'd possibly have to be earning 7 figures a week to ratchet that score up. 

I just explained how the percentage went up for me. It's still not good, but it more than doubled.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

Realism, yes. I'm a lower-league manager, usually with a part-time outfit whose finances are limited. In my contract negotiations, I do try for a pay rise but I always insist on (and get) a 90% clause if I'm sacked. I think at this level it does make the board think twice about sacking me - which is a real and present danger the way I play the game.

What is that clause? I'm not sure I know that one.

53 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

The clauses when you negotiate your contract. Things like bonuses for winning stuff, pay cut for relegation. The last one is % of contract if you're sacked - you select the %age.

But... don't they automatically have to pay you 100%? Why would you set it to 90%? Do you mean, they would pay 100% remaining, but you set it to 90% of the TOTAL contract from start to finish?

I also used to add a clause that waived part of the compensation needed for another club to poach me, but then quickly realized that any club big enough that I'd want to move to would have no problem buying out my very small contract anyway, and all it was doing was keeping me from getting more money in negotiations.

2 minutes ago, Weston said:

But... don't they automatically have to pay you 100%? Why would you set it to 90%? Do you mean, they would pay 100% remaining, but you set it to 90% of the TOTAL contract from start to finish?

I assume the latter but not sure. I keep getting fired in my first season before I get to renew a contract. If I survive my first contract I never lose my job subsequently. So far.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

I assume the latter but not sure. I keep getting fired in my first season before I get to renew a contract. If I survive my first contract I never lose my job subsequently. So far.

Seems odd - maybe you should make sure you're not making it EASIER for them to sack you by limited the amount of your deal they'd have to buy out.

• 2 weeks later...

Got offered a contract by Milan, a far larger club than my Bari, and the initial offer is LOWER than my existing salary?? Surely this must be a bug? I don't understand why human managers are so consistently and bafflingly undervalued, especially considering how well I'm doing...

image.png

image.png

I've started a save in the Andorran Second Division, with Carroi and they offered me 20K in the first year.

After winning the league and promotion to the First Division, they offered 22, but I've managed to get 27,5K :D 

Now, in the third year, after officially qualifying to the Europa League (with 10 or so matches to go) they offer me 20K :idiot:
Tried to get at least 30K (as we do have the money, thank you UEFA), but I only managed to sign for the existing salary of 27,5K per year.

In FM16, when I started with PSG, after 20 years (title each year, 6 or 7 CLs) I still had my original 2,5 millions per year, although I tried to get more on each contract renewal.

10 minutes ago, Able.Ryder said:

I've started a save in the Andorran Second Division, with Carroi and they offered me 20K in the first year.

After winning the league and promotion to the First Division, they offered 22, but I've managed to get 27,5K :D 

Now, in the third year, after officially qualifying to the Europa League (with 10 or so matches to go) they offer me 20K :idiot:
Tried to get at least 30K (as we do have the money, thank you UEFA), but I only managed to sign for the existing salary of 27,5K per year.

In FM16, when I started with PSG, after 20 years (title each year, 6 or 7 CLs) I still had my original 2,5 millions per year, although I tried to get more on each contract renewal.

Pretty sure the ballboys get 2.5 million at PSG haha

5 minutes ago, Weston said:

Pretty sure the ballboys get 2.5 million at PSG haha

:))

I've just loaded that save. Only six CLs.
Career earnings 2015 - 2036: 46M (that's an average of 2,3 per season).

I'm not sure about ballboys, but some of my staff were on the course of earning more than me.

Archived