Football Manager 2009 patch download details (was authentication and update)

I bought the game this evening, came home and installed it firstly on my Macbook. This worked fine, though unfortunately I can't play it on my Macbook 'cos the patch isn't out until Monday which is absolutely ridiculous. That is like going into a restaurant paying for a big juicy steak and the waiter coming out and saying 'Sorry sir, you'll have to come back on Monday for your steak cos the chef has gone home for a pot noodle and a w^nk!!!'

Anyway, I decided to install it on2 my PC... I had already read all the horror stories on here and braced myself for the worst! I installed Steam, went through all that nonsense, then installed FM and put in my activation code - no problems! I left it all installing whilst I went out to the shop, came back and it was all done but I couldn't find anything on steam about the patch. The only updates it showed was the demo from Nov 1st. I decided to launch the game anyway, it told me to make a note of some Key and then after a short delay FM loaded up. I clicked on start new game et VOILA - no problems it worked first time! It even had the 9.1.0 database update which Steam must have downloaded without me knowing! I have not had to type in that Key I was given anywhere and I also have no idea what this 'SoftAnchor' is what everyone is talking about????

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really feel for you guys that still can't get the game to work.

I finally got it working at about 9pm tonight (12 hours of waiting), and others on another forum I was on have also had it working.

I'm on vista, and I've had the game on and off twice with no problems.

Actually, it's more than 12 hours waiting as I received the game on Wednesday!!!

I really do hope you are all sorted very soon.

I've gotta say, that steam thing is aload of crap! I hate having to have that running while I play the game. I'm convinced I'm being spied on.

If that is on next season's game, I don't want the game!

thanks mate it was 7.20am i started and still all i am getting is that SoftAnchor ' you are not connected to the internet'

Right, after reading the farce of todays problems I decided to leave the installation 'til now.

So - is it working OK now?

Also, when I load the disc up it says do I want to Install via Steam or Uniloc, which one do I choose?

I decided to go with Uniloc.

Put in the activation key and took about 5 seconds to work. I'm now up and running!

Desperately sorry for those who have struggled all day to get it going. Hopefully SI/SEGA will be having a full and frank investigation as to why these problems occured in time for FM2010.

Has anyone actually been able to register by phone?

SI are yet to acknowledge that there is even a problem with phone activation. I've not heard of anyone activating successfully by phone even before the servers were taken down.

They have yet to specifically mention phone activation at all.

A message from SI on this topic would be great.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: Can anybody help me here? I posted the following several hours ago and still I'm no nearer to getting my game running. I've been trying since 9am and I'm losing the will to live!

NB the bit in bold further down is a problem that I've seen numerous people report and nobody has even attempted to give an explanation of how to solve it. It's no good saying "go to C:\footballmanager\run\shortcut" or the like because I have no idea where I would have to type such a command. Is it in MS DOS? Does MS DOS still exist? I don't know, I'm not a techno-geek, just a football fan who wants to play a bloody computer game!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

This is really annoying me now. I've been constantly trying to ssort this out since 9 o'clock this morning having taken the day off work especially to play my new game. I can't get broadband in my area so I'm stuck with a 56k modem which took about an hour to download Steam. It took my authentication code straight away so i thought I was lucky there and would be up and running playing the game by 10am. That's where things started to go downhill.

I believe that using Steam means that a new patch needs to be downloaded before I can play the game. The problem with this is it would take 6 hours at my connection speed to download the patch and my ISP disconnects every two hours, meaning the download starts from scratch again. Basically that means I will never be able to download the patch which is fine, I just want to play the damn game! I even tried restarting my computer and playing with Steam in offline mode but I just got the message "preparing to launch Football Manager 2009" for 15 minutes at which point I tore out a little more hair and clicked on cancel.

I thought I'd try Uniloc instead. When I wasn't connected to the internet it didn't give me the otion of choosing between Steam and Uniloc so I thought it would automaticallly use Uniloc and perhaps give me a phone number to call. It didn't give me this option but the FM09 icon appeared on my desktop. When I click on it it says "The application failed to initialize (sic) properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to temrinate the application." So I did this, uninstalled the game, connected to the internet and tried to install again. This time it gave me the choice between Steam and Unlioc so I clicked on Uniloc and the game installed again with the same outcome.

I've seen posts from three or four other people reporting the same problem but nobody has answered them. Before I smash my computer and/or the cat can someone, anyone PLEASE give me a F***ing solution?!

Ta.

Everytime i try to do it via "SoftAnchor" it says it cant do it. And when i click on the Steam icon it says "Unable to load libary steam". I am an avid FM fan, been playing it since 1998/1999, but i have NO idea on what to do. Someone please help

P.S

I couldnt care less about the patch, im not even sure what it does, i just want to play my game. Could someone please just instruct me what to do from after the main installation bit please.

Ta lads

FAO ADMIN

Re my above message, if anyone wants to drop me a pm I would be most grateful - even if it means I have to send you my phone number for you to talk me through what i need to do whe you have a spare few minutes (whenever that may be!) I really don't mind. I just want to play my game!

hi, I've been trying to get the game to work for 5hrs now, I don't have an Internet connection (I'm using my lovelly iPhone to post this) and I've been trying verify by phone since, I finally got through ten minutes ago (200+ goes it took), I did as the nice but scarily stern lady said and she informed me that she is unable to activate! Any ideas anyone? I'm gonna go to bed now cosive got go be in work in just 6 hours, I know you Guy's at si and sega are having a mare, but any help would be great! I've never missed a version of this great game and really want to slag Gary Neville off in a press interview!

ive installed the game using steam but when ive gone to launch it, ive put my product key in and it still wont work. It comes up with a -703 error. what is this? and what should i do?

ANYONE....HELP!

I think that means the code you're entering is correct, I'd suggest retrying launching the game a couple of times & on re-entering the code it should work...

My problem is that the softanchor activation cannot connect to si games!! The one time it did it was an error [-79] What can i do!!!! I donnot have any firewall running. I cant connect to si games on my own either!!! got the game at ten this morning not good!!!

After 6 HOURS I get the damn thing authenticated, I download the patch try to run it and get access to C:\Program files\sports interactive\football manager 2009 is denied.

I'm running XP.

I have bought every CM/FM since day 1, but sadly this will be the last one. This is a disgrace, this mess has totally ruined my experience, 6 hours and I still can't play.

I suppose now I have to uninstall and reinstall - and loose one of my 5 installs in the process.

SI have totally lost the plot with this unfinished mess this time.

I have also reinstalled with steam (even though I do not want to), everything went swimmingly until I went to run the game.

I get the same stupid softanchor thing and it keeps telling me i am not connected to the internet!

i live in new zealand, bought this game over 24 hours ago and STILL havent played it!

my system clock is correct, i have NEVER touched it before today and i have set it via the internet

still cant play the game!

murray, i emailed you a screenshot of my proplem hours ago, please just let me know you are working on this, cause right now i and many others feel abandoned and betrayed!

:mad:

After 6 HOURS I get the damn thing authenticated, I download the patch try to run it and get access to C:\Program files\sports interactive\football manager 2009 is denied.

I'm running XP.

This is a disgrace, this mess has totally ruined my experience, 6 hours and I still can't play.

I suppose now I have to uninstall and reinstall - and loose one of my 5 installs in the process.

You need to step back a bit and read some stuff, if you uninstall you won't lose any installs. As for the rest of it, just be patient it'll work eventually. At least you've got the game and a patch to make it work in the end

Been trying for 14 hours to play this game, I dont know whos fault it is , but someone must be accountable. Its embarassing that almost every other game doesnt have this level of authentication, and I think we know why.

SI/SEGA/STEAM have tried to be smart arses and it has bit them big time on their own arses

All I wanted today was to play the fcuking game,

will try again in the morning, not confident I will be playing it tomorrow

****ed off and annoyed

You need to step back a bit and read some stuff, if you uninstall you won't lose any installs. As for the rest of it, just be patient it'll work eventually. At least you've got the game and a patch to make it work in the end

But what annoys me is the pirates already have the game and we're still here trying, I'm happy to pay SI, but why have they allowed this?

Nevermind, back to WoW ;)

I was completely against people moaning before the game was released regarding the authentication as i never expected it to cause this much of a problem, however:

I completely retract anything i said previously.

This is pretty damn ridculous, i like many others have been trying to play the game for most of today, do SI not realise that some people don't use the forums but still play the game, therefore people will have bought the game, seen they can't play it, not thought to come onto here for advice, and either taken the game back, or been refused a refund, losing £30.

I personally don't have a great deal of money, i can't afford to go wasting my cash, especially at this time of year.

SI's customers deserve answers.

If you went into a shop, asked for a product and the sales assistant ignored you and walked off, you would speak to the manager and get it sorted, the same needs to happen here.

I think we have been given up on, I dont think i am EVER going to get to play this, SO disapointing, I have been a fan since 1994 and have NEVER moaned or complained on these forums before, even if I ever came across any bugs, i could still play the game and get over it.

But THIS - THIS is a bad bad joke, its got to be!!!

Is there ANY way of bypassing the authentication so that we can play the game we bought??

Why are the pirates able to play and loyal paying customers like us are ignored??

PLEASE SI can we have either some answers, or at LEAST let us know you havent just given up on us?

PLEASE?????

:mad:

7.20AM THIS MORNING is when i started thats over 17hours ago yet am still here with the SoftAnchor saying they are unable to connect to the internet

just had a few problems with the game and wondered if anyone could help me out

get a message saying like there are some graphics problems, is there anything i can do to sort this out?

also does anyone know if i can get a new activation code off somewhere at all, in exchange for my original one? so confusing!

I'm running XP.

I have bought every CM/FM since day 1, but sadly this will be the last one. This is a disgrace, this mess has totally ruined my experience, 6 hours and I still can't play.

Have you tried rebooting? It could be that the file access is just locked, in which case, a shut down and reboot will fix it.

If you do have to uninstall and reinstall, the uninstall process will credit you back with an unused install and take you back to 5 installs. If for some reason you do lose an install through the process, you can contact SI and get them to change their logs.

I bought this game this afternoon and be trying all evening to get it activated on steam. Finally managed it 11pm this evening and now when i try to run the game I get the following message 'cannot run game. failed to set up graphics system' can someone please confirm that this is the fact that my graphics card is out of date and i need to purchase a new one or is it something i'm not doing right! I thought this was going to be easy.....thanks:confused:

I bought this game this afternoon and be trying all evening to get it activated on steam. Finally managed it 11pm this evening and now when i try to run the game I get the following message 'cannot run game. failed to set up graphics system' can someone please confirm that this is the fact that my graphics card is out of date and i need to purchase a new one or is it something i'm not doing right! I thought this was going to be easy.....thanks:confused:

Having not received my copy yet, I'll try to help without a lot of knowledge of your system.

Can you say what your graphics card is?

There is a list somewhere of the graphics card specs. It's a bit late in the evening for me to check but I'm sure one of the stalwarts here would be able to tell you whether it is good enough

I've been at this since 7.20am and still getting the 'cannot connect to the internet' from SoftAnchor. Am closing in on the 18th hour of trying this. Am working in 5hours so i have to give up on it now. I'll try and ahve ago tomorrow and fingers crossed. to the rest of you GOOD LUCK. And thanks to Miles and his team for continuing to try at this late hour of the weekend

I've been struggeling with the registration as well as everybody else it seems.

Here's something I tired and it pulled off:

From my steam-account I created a shortcup on my desktop. I then closed steam --> right-clicked on the fm-icon on my desktop and selected 'run as administrator' - steam then started automatically and a window popped up "this is your key ... - copy - start game".

I then expected to come to the SoftAnchor registration window, but the game started! :)

In the game, on the start-up screen a steam-window said "this steam-game requires a key-code, please type it in as shown when asked to..."

I have not yet been asked to do this - but the game runs harmonuously. :)

YEEEESSSSSSS! VICTORY! after 25 hours of trying im finally on! i had to download the latest service pack of windows xp and microsoft.net framework, uninstalled steam and restarted my pc

went through the installation for the 56th time, and it flew straight through!!! took about 7-8 minutes!!! and softanchor worked first time!!!!

try this guy's you never know!!!

Like most people I'm on my 14th hour now (although I did take a beer break).

It's terrible and the Customer Service has been bitty at best. I was getting the can not connect to internet for the first 8 hours of trying then I'm on the Error -1003 now. No word as far as I can see apart from the wait 10 minutes and try again.

Personally, I will be raising official complaints with SEGA, SI & SoftAnchor as well as referring to the industry Watchdog & trading standards.

The fact that thousands of people have been told to turn off their anti-virus software and their firewalls for the best part of 24 hours is potentially dangerous for all users.

If this sort of thing happened in a normal retail sector, I'd expect a compensation payment for the 7 hours of work that I've sacrificed. I'd also expect proportionate fines & warnings against SEGA and SI for blatent disregard of guidelines about product releases.

I doubt individual compensation payments will happen, due to the size & scale involved. However, I and hopefully many others on here will ensure that enough complaints will be raised to ensure that SEGA & SI will ensure any future realeases will be handled in at least a semi-profesional manner.

Archived