Football Manager 2009 patch download details (was authentication and update)

i dont really know too much about computers and all that jazz, i really just want to start a network game and banter my housemates.

Ive been putting the same old code in since 3 this afternoon and just keep getting a [703] error. What am i doing wrong?

Please anyone help!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having not received my copy yet, I'll try to help without a lot of knowledge of your system.

Can you say what your graphics card is?

There is a list somewhere of the graphics card specs. It's a bit late in the evening for me to check but I'm sure one of the stalwarts here would be able to tell you whether it is good enough

I think I've found my graphics card, don't normally have to do this when installing CM/FM! very frustrating. I think I have the following: - Intel® 82865G graphic controller - WMaCVideo32. Does this help?:thup:

Try checking the intel site for a driver update...

Hi, thanks for the tip, just tried a couple of downloads, unfortunately not compatible with my system! Will try again tomorrow from Intel, if no such luck, might have to order a new graphics card! I've been playing FM since I had an Amiga and I've never had any real problems apart from today and reading everyone else's issues as well, its a complete disaster. Tomorrow is another day, although I'm out all day and evening! Bring on Sunday :o

I've just got in.

Was having the trial expired and then unable to connect to internet error in SoftAnchor.

Here's what I did. Dunno if it's fluke or what but.....

Shut down steam. Navigated to my steam folder and found the steamapps folder. In that is a folder called common and in that is an FM09 folder. I clicked on the exe and it brought up the Soft(W)anchor window as usual.

Then I typed in my key in lower case. This time my firewall (COMODO) threw up a dialogue box asking me if I wanted to let FM.exe connect. I said yes (obviously) and it worked! Hallelujah!

Give this method a try and see what happens. I've been trying since 5pm so there is hope...

i did the manual way like Ir0n duk3 posted, steam a on my xp would not have any of it but my vista pc just romped away installing it. now all i need to do is get my network drive sorted and move my save game to my older xp pc then i can start muli-tasking again......mining on eve-online and playing footy manager ftw

Hi, thanks for the tip, just tried a couple of downloads, unfortunately not compatible with my system! Will try again tomorrow from Intel, if no such luck, might have to order a new graphics card! I've been playing FM since I had an Amiga and I've never had any real problems apart from today and reading everyone else's issues as well, its a complete disaster. Tomorrow is another day, although I'm out all day and evening! Bring on Sunday :o

Just to check, that is a card on the intel 865 chipset? The graphics might be too old to use the 3D but there is a link to download a directx 9 SDK update that *might* enable you to use the 2D. It is a very old card though if I'm right so I can't guarantee anything. One of the SI people is more likely to know than me.

sorry if this has been asked already, but I won't be getting my boxed copy of the game until tonight, can I download the patch now in the normal way, and still activate the game with steam and then update with my downloaded patch, or do I have to let steam download/install the patch?

good luck with STEAM mate, I tried to authenticate it with STEAM and 7 times later no luck. 1st time with UNILOC and bingo, instant success. I have boxed copy & I also downloaded the patch the normal way. So yes, you can do it that way but give UNILOC a go 1st, just hope it isnt down like it was yesterday

My graphics card didnt work with the Demo and mine is Intel also. But with the release day patch, all is well and the 3d match engine is simply awesome !

Dont touch any driver updates yet until you've installed the patch and ran FM09 to see if that fixes it, it my just save you a few moments of your time later on

i dont really know too much about computers and all that jazz, i really just want to start a network game and banter my housemates.

Ive been putting the same old code in since 3 this afternoon and just keep getting a [703] error. What am i doing wrong?

Please anyone help!

Try to enter the much malined code with UNILOC.

Still unable to play. Phone authentication still doesn't work.

Will I ever pre-order another game published by SEGA? Will I ever order one of theirs -at all-?

We'll see if they change their stance on DRM. This is an utter farce.

Have you tried other means of authenticate ? like UNILOC ? No use just using 1 of the 3 methods.

Have you tried other means of authenticate ? like UNILOC ? No use just using 1 of the 3 methods.
Well, since it's one of the methods given, I would expect it to work.

The only computer I have capable of playing the game cannot access the internet. The phone method is the only one available to me.

• SI Staff
I just think why so discrimination with our MAC user, why the PC user can get the patch early!!!!

Hate!

We have to get signoff to release patches from QA. The Mac patch failed late on Friday so it will be delayed.

This is actually the best security protection I've ever seen in a game. Those who bought it, can't play it.

I disagree! Its good but not as good as that employed for Sim City 3000 World Edition - I got that home and low and behold there was no disk in the box! May I respectfully suggest that SI employ this protection for FM10, it was very effective.

We have to get signoff to release patches from QA. The Mac patch failed late on Friday so it will be delayed.

Could you give us some more insight into this? Do the testers not work overtime? Is this a problem you need to check with Apple?

Also, I don't mean to offend but was there ever a build of the mac version where the 3D graphics were able to run in anything but low detail? Everyone I know personally who runs FM on a mac has had this problem, on both Nvidia and ATI cards.

I can't believe that people are still having problems getting the game working 24 hours later!

I was finally up and running about 9pm last night after 12 hours of waiting. Im running it on Steam just fine now.

Waiting 12 hours was bad enough, but 24+

I can't believe that people are still having problems getting the game working 24 hours later!

I was finally up and running about 9pm last night after 12 hours of waiting. Im running it on Steam just fine now.

Waiting 12 hours was bad enough, but 24+

so what made the difference? what did you change to get up and running? i tried to activate it around 10 times or so then gave up, will give it another go later

Could you give us some more insight into this? Do the testers not work overtime? Is this a problem you need to check with Apple?

Also, I don't mean to offend but was there ever a build of the mac version where the 3D graphics were able to run in anything but low detail? Everyone I know personally who runs FM on a mac has had this problem, on both Nvidia and ATI cards.

dude I have mac, i had no problem with the 3d game play, runs very smoothly.

might be an idea to say what OS you have and machine.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=62716

We didnt get signoff on Friday night for the Mac patch.

no worries marc, good to see ya still around !! :) atleast my mac didn't have to authenticate last night, my bro had awful probs getting the steam thingy to work.. and FM runs like a dream on macs :) even if my arsenal team are playing pants !

Still unable to play. Phone authentication still doesn't work.

Will I ever pre-order another game published by SEGA? Will I ever order one of theirs -at all-?

We'll see if they change their stance on DRM. This is an utter farce.

hi mate dont worry it is working now

Hi,

I have been trying since 4.00pm yesterday with no luck.

"I am getting a 703 error: We were unable to process your unlock request. To recieve a new key please visit sigames.com."

Please please help!

it was all to do with the code you should be alright now good luck

Hi guys. Cheers for eventually get it fixed, I admit I was raging yesterday after 7 straight hours of refreshing pages etc but I know you were trying. I phoned this morning but after the 3rd activation number it said my authentication number was invalid, however I tried the same number on my PC (which is below min spec) and it worked fine authenticating over the internet. I dont have the internet on my laptop though. Could you tell me why its not working when I phone?

About 7hours spent yesterday trying to get it activated lol, finally got it working around 8.30pm last night and after all the stick SI got, ive got to say, What a game it is, lots of impressive changes, loved the new match screen with the 3d, even got the chance to vent my frustration after the chairman sold a player above my head, lovin it, well done, worth the wait.

I bought the game through STEAM yesterday morning and spent an hour or so downloading. I then had the cannot connect to internet errors all day until half 7 last night.

I'll talk you through what my problem is now.

I launch the game, copy my product key and click next

Activation Successful

Thankyou The installation of Football Manager 2009 Certificate has been activated under product key ..................

I then click OK and nothing!

Where do i go from here??

I'm running the game on my laptop with XP, have downloaded Direct X SDK to see if that was my problem, no luck there. I've just ran out of ideas and my 13 year old step son is absolutely gutted!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

I tried for 18hours yesterday to get on and again this morning before work and now am back from work still the same, SoftAnchor saying 'unable to connect to the internet' I really need help with this now, it's really frustrating me to see folk who have been trying less time than me get on and be playing the game yet am still sitting here.

Marc, any ideas on this. I bought from steam, authenticated (finally) through steam, updated the directx, and am still getting a windows error saying it's stopped working and windows will let me know if there is a solution, which there doesn't seem to be...

hhhhhhheeeeeelllllppppppp!!!!

thanks!

so nearly 36 hours now since buying and it's still doesnt work. Running version 9.1.0, updated the directx, got it authenticated but just wont run. Anyone know how to remove the product key & uninstall through steam as i cant see an obvious way of doing it. Or any other ideas??:thdn::thdn::thdn::thdn:

really struggling inserted disc installation started then if wanted to do authentification through steam or over phone chose steam option, had to create account put all details in then it said creating account. nothing happened for a good half hour coundn't do anything.

Rebooted pc and tried again went through same process but this time after choosing steam option nothing happens and pc just shows my desktop screen. sorry if i am doing anything wrong but i'm not too hot on pc's so could really do with some advice. thanks

Archived