Help with right back giving away balls

Hi,

This situation has happened a lot in the last games:

TacticalQuestion1.thumb.png.9b99bafe712babcdd621710aac9e9c63.png

Right back under pressure and kicks the ball to opponent who just runs free with it causing lots of trouble for my defense.

Is any way to prevent this?

Given away some chances and goals in the last games because of this.

Ha ha, I just conceded three goals in a match to exactly this issue! My fault of course.

1. Why is he under pressure? Do you need to alter his role and/or duty?

2. Why does he kick the ball away? Does he lack a passing option? You need to look at the roles/duties of your other players plus your team instructions.

Check his PPM - this looks a lot like Plays his way out of trouble.

Could also be just his attributes failing him, if his role is similar to his partner on the other side I doubt it's his instructions that caused it.

3 hours ago, MadCatPT said:

Hi,

This situation has happened a lot in the last games:

TacticalQuestion1.thumb.png.9b99bafe712babcdd621710aac9e9c63.png

Right back under pressure and kicks the ball to opponent who just runs free with it causing lots of trouble for my defense.

Is any way to prevent this?

Given away some chances and goals in the last games because of this.

Here you were under pressure from a high press, so can your team play out of defence? If it doesn't have the attributes why force them to do something they can't? Could it be an attributes related question? Does that defender have poor composure? does he have a player trait that loves to get into trouble. And were your players playing on roles and duties that had them too far away?

This is my tactic:

TacticalQuestion2.thumb.png.27b96d7f60dd7ee19e828319b731ac2d.png

After some trial and error this was the best role pairing for my best two center midfielders in terms of ratings/goals/results, I used to have a BBM and a DLP but it was just not working.

This is the player:

TacticalQuestion3.thumb.png.d35c0076c3d4741d9c43562cf81c453d.png

12 hours ago, Mitja said:

looks like your playing without holding midfilder maybe? there's nobody ''droping deep'' - standing closer to backline to link up play?

BBM and a Carrilero, they aren't holding but shouldn't they go to where the ball is?

As a youngster, this guy has low attributes, and is probably the cause of all your woes. His composure is pretty close to "PANIC!!!" and his positioning has him in the wrong place most of the time, I'd say. Given his determination is okay, you could expect he will develop with some encouragement. May I ask why you are playing a 17 year old in your first team? Also, seeing his attributes alone, it's hard to put them into context. It all hangs together. Personally, if he is your best option at right back, I'd have a look at a three man defence or look to get somebody else in, whether a free agent, buy in or on loan.

Or the opposition forced him onto his weaker foot. He is right footed only and from the picture it looks like he was forced to move inside by the opposition player and using his significantly weaker left foot resulted in a misplaced cross. So from the responses you get, you can see that there are many possible causes for the lost ball. Watch it carefully in 3D and I'm sure you will figure it out.

I did some analysis on why my LWBs were making more mistakes than my RWBs here.

I expected they would make less mistakes, as I have a DLP(s) in CM on the left, and I thought he'd provide more options to the left back. 

What seemed to happen was that because he had that option, he tried a riskier ball more often. The RWB didn't have the same option and so... didn't lose it trying to pass to that player. 

Now that I think of it, does having a "playmaker" mean your players will try to find that player at an increased rate?

Not sure if that helps you, but thought I'd share.

On 21/11/2018 at 14:08, pauly15 said:

does having a "playmaker" mean your players will try to find that player at an increased rate?

Yes, because playmakers (role) are ball-magnets. So if you use a PM, it is advisable that he has good (or at least decent) off the ball and first touch (among other attributes such as passing, vision, decisions, composure, technique).

Not surprised he gives the ball away. He hasn't got any straightforward passing options (apart from the backpass) and he's rubbish.

You might get him lumping it further up the field to safety with a no-nonsense fullback, but the simple fact is that if the opposition presses someone of his ability in that situation he's probably going to give the ball away.

Giving the ball away cheaply isn't exactly rare at that level anyway so you can probably tolerate it if he's the future of the team and other aspects of his defending are OK.

It's a

On 21/11/2018 at 07:04, kelabb said:

As a youngster, this guy has low attributes, and is probably the cause of all your woes. His composure is pretty close to "PANIC!!!" and his positioning has him in the wrong place most of the time, I'd say. Given his determination is okay, you could expect he will develop with some encouragement. May I ask why you are playing a 17 year old in your first team? Also, seeing his attributes alone, it's hard to put them into context. It all hangs together. Personally, if he is your best option at right back, I'd have a look at a three man defence or look to get somebody else in, whether a free agent, buy in or on loan.

It's a youth only save so he is the best I have, just trying to see if I can address this in some tactical way or just live with it.

Archived