Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 29/07/2020 at 03:29, Smurf said:

Your issue isn't with Intel it's with Dell/Alienware - it wasn't a particularly good computer build for FM.
Alienware are built as gaming laptops - as where FM is a game - it's different to other games - it's more of a database processing game. 
Other games rely heavily on good graphic cards - and the processor doesn't have to be the holy-grail.

The heat you experience is probably due to the build of the gaming laptop - giving less preference to a cooling solution for the CPU and concentrating that on the graphics card. 

The heat you experienced as you said was on your lap - and that means the fans underneath  the laptop are sucking up the dust and debris from your lap/couch/bed etc and clogging fans. 
I'd highly recommend using a laptop cooling pad - this will keep the fans up from the surface and blow cool air into them to assist.

Intel - in my honest opinion (and proved on the FM benchmark threads over the years) are better for FM than Ryzen, although Ryzen have made great strides in the last year or two.

It's up to yourself - but your build was very good - it just wasn't a good build for FM.

The only reason I picked the one I choose for you was it had a larger SSD drive. 

 

Typically most have access ports at the base of the laptop. It's worth checking out if it can.

Perhaps notebooks or slim laptops are built with a solid base that makes it difficult to get into.

But generally - a lot of laptops have access ports to the hard drive (SSD) and RAM. 

 

Dell Community response to my issue; "Hybrid Power Design"

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln309974/alienware-15-r3-15-r4-17-r4-17-r5-m15-m17-performance-issue-or-battery-drain-while-ac-adapter-is-connected?lang=en

 

Was looking at Asus TUF A15 series but hearing there are MAJOR heating/ventilation design problems with that model as well.  

Edited by Heywood JaBlowme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey fellows,

Would either of these work for the game?

https://www.ebuyer.com/973044-lenovo-v15-ryzen-5-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-win10-home-laptop-82c70005uk

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-c340-14-amd-ryzen-5-2-in-1-laptop-256-gb-ssd-black-10193748-pdt.html

Thank you for any help, I have not played the game in a long long time so have no clue at all how it works these days.

Edited by Redwinevino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Dell Community response to my issue; "Hybrid Power Design"

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln309974/alienware-15-r3-15-r4-17-r4-17-r5-m15-m17-performance-issue-or-battery-drain-while-ac-adapter-is-connected?lang=en

 

Was looking at Asus TUF A15 series but hearing there are MAJOR heating/ventilation design problems with that model as well.  

What's your budget again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redwinevino said:

Hey fellows,

Would either of these work for the game?

https://www.ebuyer.com/973044-lenovo-v15-ryzen-5-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-win10-home-laptop-82c70005uk

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-c340-14-amd-ryzen-5-2-in-1-laptop-256-gb-ssd-black-10193748-pdt.html

Thank you for any help, I have not played the game in a long long time so have no clue at all how it works these days.

At that price I don't know if you can do much better. 

It's ok - but don't expect miracles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, just looking for some help in getting a laptop mainly for FM.

Budget is about £350 and only run a few leagues and looking for smooth gameplay. 

I have seen https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-a315-42-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-3-256-gb-ssd-black-10193943-pdt.html and https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14s-dq0500sa-14-laptop-intel-pentium-gold-128-gb-ssd-silver-10203388-pdt.html

What is the best option out of these 2 or is there any other recommendations you have?

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pt96 said:

Hi, just looking for some help in getting a laptop mainly for FM.

Budget is about £350 and only run a few leagues and looking for smooth gameplay. 

I have seen https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-a315-42-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-3-256-gb-ssd-black-10193943-pdt.html and https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14s-dq0500sa-14-laptop-intel-pentium-gold-128-gb-ssd-silver-10203388-pdt.html

What is the best option out of these 2 or is there any other recommendations you have?

Cheers

At that price you won't do much better. Both are running Windows S - you'll need to get out of that mode as the game won't run - and there's no going back.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pt96 said:

Hi, just looking for some help in getting a laptop mainly for FM.

Budget is about £350 and only run a few leagues and looking for smooth gameplay. 

I have seen https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-a315-42-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-3-256-gb-ssd-black-10193943-pdt.html and https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14s-dq0500sa-14-laptop-intel-pentium-gold-128-gb-ssd-silver-10203388-pdt.html

What is the best option out of these 2 or is there any other recommendations you have?

Cheers

 

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

At that price you won't do much better. Both are running Windows S - you'll need to get out of that mode as the game won't run - and there's no going back.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

Plus both only 4gb RAM - which won't be enough for Windows 10 64bit and running FM.

You'll need a minimum of 8gb RAM these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Smurf said:

What's your budget again?

Flexible - $1,000-1,500 US

My short time with M15 R2 spoiled me. Graphics settings maxed out, FM looked beautiful with the RTX 2060. Bummer that the heat/battery issues left me no choice but to send it back to Dell. Would like to be able to do that on the next laptop I buy, if possible. Again, I don't play GPU intensive games, only FM or older versions of OOTP,  which require the same resources.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

At that price I don't know if you can do much better. 

It's ok - but don't expect miracles.

What do you mean by miracles? Is this a case of a few more £ would be far better or would I need to be near 600 before things got great?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Redwinevino said:

What do you mean by miracles? Is this a case of a few more £ would be far better or would I need to be near 600 before things got great?

It'd be the latter, pretty much. Anything under about £600, unless it's a second-hand older higher-quality laptop, is pretty much designed for doing word processing and Netflix on, not processor intensive games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

It'd be the latter, pretty much. Anything under about £600, unless it's a second-hand older higher-quality laptop, is pretty much designed for doing word processing and Netflix on, not processor intensive games.

Thank you, FM would basically be the only game I have any interest in so I think they 450 bracket would do the job?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Alright fellas, I'm after a new laptop and might even consider switching to a gaming PC, but I thought I'd start by looking at new laptops.

Budget wise I'm happy to go to from around £800-£950. I'd like to actually see what a smooth FM match engine looks like lol because every laptop I've ever had has made it look incredibly slow.  

I'm looking at the HP Pavilion already linked here a few pages back, but if there's anything better I'm willing to look at it.

Is there anything that anyone can recommend I should definitely take a look at? Everything just looks like random letters and names when it comes to comparing processors and graphics cards! 

Edited by WelshMourinho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WelshMourinho said:

Alright fellas, I'm after a new laptop and might even consider switching to a gaming PC, but I thought I'd start by looking at new laptops.

Budget wise I'm happy to go to from around £800-£950. I'd like to actually see what a smooth FM match engine looks like lol because every laptop I've ever had has made it look incredibly slow.  

I'm looking at the HP Pavilion already linked here a few pages back, but if there's anything better I'm willing to look at it.

Is there anything that anyone can recommend I should definitely take a look at? Everything just looks like random letters and names when it comes to comparing processors and graphics cards! 

Will you be using it for anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gangor said:

Will you be using it for anything else?

Other than just the usual Netflix, unlikely. I'd maybe step into some other games too but I'm planning on getting a PS5 when that's released so that'll probably be my main console.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Flexible - $1,000-1,500 US

My short time with M15 R2 spoiled me. Graphics settings maxed out, FM looked beautiful with the RTX 2060. Bummer that the heat/battery issues left me no choice but to send it back to Dell. Would like to be able to do that on the next laptop I buy, if possible. Again, I don't play GPU intensive games, only FM or older versions of OOTP,  which require the same resources.  Thanks.

The Lenovo Legion 5 comes in a Ryzen 7 4800H/16GB/GTX1650Ti flavour for around that price. That would be pretty well balanced for FM and will run the match engine at max settings perfectly well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

Other than just the usual Netflix, unlikely. I'd maybe step into some other games too but I'm planning on getting a PS5 when that's released so that'll probably be my main console.

If you're just playing at home you might consider getting a living room small form factor PC and plug it into your TV. That's how I mostly play FM and find it works pretty well. AMD have just announced a new range of APUs (that is CPUs with graphics build in) which should result in some very practical devices in the near future.

If you're looking at a laptop though AMD offer better bang for buck currently and in your price range you could go for either one of the more premium Ryzen 5 4600h/GTX1650 models or stretch your budget slightly to a Ryzen 7 4800H/GTX1650Ti. Either would do a good job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gangor said:

If you're just playing at home you might consider getting a living room small form factor PC and plug it into your TV. That's how I mostly play FM and find it works pretty well. AMD have just announced a new range of APUs (that is CPUs with graphics build in) which should result in some very practical devices in the near future.

If you're looking at a laptop though AMD offer better bang for buck currently and in your price range you could go for either one of the more premium Ryzen 5 4600h/GTX1650 models or stretch your budget slightly to a Ryzen 7 4800H/GTX1650Ti. Either would do a good job.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-tuf-blue-a15-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-gtx-1660-ti-512-gb-ssd-10205355-pdt.html

are we talking along this sort of line or am I massively overpaying for what I'll actually be using it for do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WelshMourinho said:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-tuf-blue-a15-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-gtx-1660-ti-512-gb-ssd-10205355-pdt.html

are we talking along this sort of line or am I massively overpaying for what I'll actually be using it for do you think?

This will do for what you describe

https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q87EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-Gaming-A715-75G_2934480.html

In time - add 8gb more RAM to make 16gb. 

You'd probably need a IT professional in your area to upgrade the RAM.

But not necessary from the offset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

This will do for what you describe

https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q87EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-Gaming-A715-75G_2934480.html

In time - add 8gb more RAM to make 16gb. 

You'd probably need a IT professional in your area to upgrade the RAM.

But not necessary from the offset.

This looks good! I assume you think I'd be overspending on the other one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

This looks good! I assume you think I'd be overspending on the other one.

I think it's overkill for what you need - for what you get in the other one it's worth the money.

But for what you need the one I linked to would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

This looks good! I assume you think I'd be overspending on the other one.

Just for reference this is how they are ranked by a reputable site 

So you do get more for your money with the more expensive models. 

But for FM ranked in the top 100 processors is very decent.

image.thumb.png.8d1220540984817d09a8d2f3fcff24bb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Stumbled across this custom build PC builder. Maingear

The Vector 2 offers a LOT of bang for the buck and I don't understand why it's not mentioned more here in the US. Perhaps the brand name sounds too generic. 

Specs (including the Desktop Variant of the RTX 2060)

 

 

Maingear_2.thumb.png.a1295e52a1e71116fc8d6963e3cb74c4.png

 

 

 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621986/maingear-vector-2-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black

 

$1,200 US.  Who else offers this much at this price?

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Heywood JaBlowme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Stumbled across this custom build PC builder. Maingear

The Vector 2 offers a LOT of bang for the buck and I don't understand why it's not mentioned more here in the US. Perhaps the brand name sounds too generic. 

Specs (including the Desktop Variant of the RTX 2060)

 

 

Maingear_2.thumb.png.a1295e52a1e71116fc8d6963e3cb74c4.png

 

 

 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621986/maingear-vector-2-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black

 

$1,200 US.  Who else offers this much at this price?

 

 

 

 

 

FM Doesn't need a rocket graphics card - 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/622243/asus-tuf-gaming-a15-tuf506iu-ms76-156-laptop-computer---gray

This would be good as it's a better processor - vital for FM.

Graphics are not that complex and the card in this would be fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Smurf said:

FM Doesn't need a rocket graphics card - 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/622243/asus-tuf-gaming-a15-tuf506iu-ms76-156-laptop-computer---gray

This would be good as it's a better processor - vital for FM.

Graphics are not that complex and the card in this would be fine.

 

I'm steering clear of the A15...

And I'm confused. Aren't you recommending Intel for FM? 

 

Edited by Heywood JaBlowme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

I'm steering clear of the A15...

And I'm confused. Aren't you recommending Intel for FM? 

I just go by the best stats and budget - I have no affiliation to one or the other.

And no reason to steer clear of the A15 - I've read several reviews from NotebookCheck and all positive. 

If you want to steer clear that's your perogative.

But I'd be going by this processor list (as noted in opening post) Mobile Processors - Benchmark List - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And you can hold back on the graphics card as it won't add anything extra going over the 1050TI version (I believe).

16gb RAM is a good shout these days.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I just go by the best stats and budget - I have no affiliation to one or the other.

And no reason to steer clear of the A15 - I've read several reviews from NotebookCheck and all positive. 

If you want to steer clear that's your perogative.

But I'd be going by this processor list (as noted in opening post) Mobile Processors - Benchmark List - NotebookCheck.net Tech

And you can hold back on the graphics card as it won't add anything extra going over the 1050TI version (I believe).

16gb RAM is a good shout these days.

 

 

Sorry for multiple Edited posts, there is no option to remove. 

Your input to this thread is obviously invaluable and we all appreciate your advice but I must say I'm still befuddled with the Intel/Ryzen discussion regarding FM. 

When I posted earlier this week about my disappointment with the Alienware M15 R2, and when I considered switching to a Ryzen based laptop, you stated Intel was still better for FM (page 83). 

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I'm just trying to get the best for my $$$. Is the Ryzen as good as the Intel for FM or does it not matter?

Hardware Unboxed posted an updated video on their You Tube site regarding their review on the A15. It was an "angry" rebuttal from Asus. But after reading their statements regarding the cooling design of the A15, it's nothing short of PR drivel. I am a fan of Asus but the potential heat issue would be a major concern for me. 

It's been a while since I have been in the market for new laptop and need to catch up as I'm a novice to all of this. 

Thanks in advance. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I'm just trying to get the best for my $$$. Is the Ryzen as good as the Intel for FM or does it not matter?

I know posts can cross over and opinions change often. 

I can only go on the data in front of me. I  looked up the two processors and in my mind the Intel was better on that day. The Ryzen was slightly lesser. But regardless which you went for, they  both would have been no problem for FM.

There's always going to be a difference of opinion. And up to about a year ago I would have steered clear of Ryzen - but by gosh, they have come on.

I have no way of knowing if Ryzen or Intel is better - I'd have to literally test every single processor and laptop out there for FM. And I don't have 1) The Time, 2) The Money, to do such tasks.

Processor is King for FM. If you get this right - the game will be great. 

Graphics card is less important - and it doesn't need a highend card.

RAM - 8gb is plenty and 16gb is prefferred (for me).

 

What can happen is someone is suggests something else, and we disagree with each other to a point, where we discuss it openly - and I have to admit that on some occassions I am wrong. 

I'm not an IT specialist or anything like that.

 

The best place to compare ranked processors is on https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

They also rank GPUs https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

 

That's pretty much the guides I use.

Get the best processor - and the most RAM you can get - then think about the graphics card.

 

Ryzen v Intel - I'm not interested that debate - there's websites that have done the homework and ranked them already. Go by the 2 links above and you can barely go wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Sorry for multiple Edited posts, there is no option to remove.

 

There is, click options on the post you want to remove and then click hide. Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

There is, click options on the post you want to remove and then click hide. Done.

Done, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2020 at 17:07, JordanMillward_1 said:

It'd be the latter, pretty much. Anything under about £600, unless it's a second-hand older higher-quality laptop, is pretty much designed for doing word processing and Netflix on, not processor intensive games.

Sorry to ask again, but would it even be worth playing on the laptops in the 350 range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redwinevino said:

Sorry to ask again, but would it even be worth playing on the laptops in the 350 range?

If you were able to get one in that range that met the minimum requirements? I'd say no. You'd be severely limited in how many leagues or nations you could run, how many players you could have in the database of your save, graphics for the matches would look poor, and it'd take a while for the game to progress as its processing things. I'd only ever suggest a laptop around the £600 range minimum, or a laptop of that level of quality that's on offer at a lower price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all,

I have a budget of around £700-£1100 and stuck with reading all the different recommendations. 

I mainly only use the laptop for FM but I wouldn't mind be able to play some other games but I don't need something that has the best fps etc as I mainly play console for multiplayer games. 

I current have 8gb ram and i7-4700MQ HP Envy but its 7 years old and a bit rough around the edges. 

From reading above I like the sound of the Amd Ryzen processors and some sort of graphics card to run the match engine well.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, james2609 said:

Hey all,

I have a budget of around £700-£1100 and stuck with reading all the different recommendations. 

I mainly only use the laptop for FM but I wouldn't mind be able to play some other games but I don't need something that has the best fps etc as I mainly play console for multiplayer games. 

I current have 8gb ram and i7-4700MQ HP Envy but its 7 years old and a bit rough around the edges. 

From reading above I like the sound of the Amd Ryzen processors and some sort of graphics card to run the match engine well.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Have to admit the Ryzen 4800H is kicking ass these days https://www.box.co.uk/82B50043UK-Lenovo-Legion-5_2943317.html

Better graphics card for other games - https://www.box.co.uk/81SX00R0UK-Lenovo-Legion-Y540-15_2834992.html
Similar performance in processor. Hard drive not as large as above.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

If you were able to get one in that range that met the minimum requirements? I'd say no. You'd be severely limited in how many leagues or nations you could run, how many players you could have in the database of your save, graphics for the matches would look poor, and it'd take a while for the game to progress as its processing things. I'd only ever suggest a laptop around the £600 range minimum, or a laptop of that level of quality that's on offer at a lower price.

 

12 hours ago, Smurf said:

AS @JordanMillward_1 points out that price range will severely limit  your playing experience.

https://www.box.co.uk/81MT000VUK-Lenovo-V145-15AST_2928661.html

Probably best you can do.

 

Thank you both, you've given me much to think about.

I normally do just need it for internet / word stuff but have the sudden huge urge to play FM again - so don't really want to go too expensive when it's likely not worth it for one game just incase the notion passes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redwinevino said:

 

Thank you both, you've given me much to think about.

I normally do just need it for internet / word stuff but have the sudden huge urge to play FM again - so don't really want to go too expensive when it's likely not worth it for one game just incase the notion passes

You might also consider using Google Stadia to play FM. You need a good internet connection, but the specs of your computer then basically don't matter. If you have a smart TV it might even work on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, james2609 said:

To elaborate on @Smurf's comment, the G14 you link to is based on a 6-core rather than 8-core processor and has less RAM, so it won't perform as well. It is however a different class of laptop, being comparatively thin and light for gaming laptops. The HS processor is also more energy efficient so you should get decent battery life. If you need to take your laptop around with you often it would be worth considering, even though the performance isn't as good. It might be noted that it will likely still beat anything from Intel short of a well cooled i9. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gangor said:

To elaborate on @Smurf's comment, the G14 you link to is based on a 6-core rather than 8-core processor and has less RAM, so it won't perform as well. It is however a different class of laptop, being comparatively thin and light for gaming laptops. The HS processor is also more energy efficient so you should get decent battery life. If you need to take your laptop around with you often it would be worth considering, even though the performance isn't as good. It might be noted that it will likely still beat anything from Intel short of a well cooled i9. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I am now looking at this that was mentioned earlier and possibly upgrading the ram myself. Looking around it looks possible on this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1001na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877L4KMD?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-gb-8150257581319843000-21&th=1

I know itll probably be worse performance wise but that seems a great price and itll fit my needs i think or do you think its worth the extra 400ish for the legion 5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, james2609 said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I am now looking at this that was mentioned earlier and possibly upgrading the ram myself. Looking around it looks possible on this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1001na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877L4KMD?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-gb-8150257581319843000-21&th=1

I know itll probably be worse performance wise but that seems a great price and itll fit my needs i think or do you think its worth the extra 400ish for the legion 5

 

Scrolling down the thread, that was the one I was going to suggest but you beat me to. Another guy picked from the thread picked it up and posted some good benchmarks for it

I guess you could get better if your budget is up to a grand, but just for FM I think it would be really good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, james2609 said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I am now looking at this that was mentioned earlier and possibly upgrading the ram myself. Looking around it looks possible on this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1001na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877L4KMD?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-gb-8150257581319843000-21&th=1

I know itll probably be worse performance wise but that seems a great price and itll fit my needs i think or do you think its worth the extra 400ish for the legion 5

 

It depends what's important to you. A more expensive laptop like the Legion is going to have better build quality, better screen etc. If you're just concerned about raw performance, no it's not worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, james2609 said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I am now looking at this that was mentioned earlier and possibly upgrading the ram myself. Looking around it looks possible on this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1001na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877L4KMD?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-gb-8150257581319843000-21&th=1

I know itll probably be worse performance wise but that seems a great price and itll fit my needs i think or do you think its worth the extra 400ish for the legion 5

 

It's good - and a nice price.

Hard drive is a bit small. But other than that - it will suffice for a year or two before needing upgrade.

Edited by Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's good - and a nice price.

Hard drive is a bit small. But other than that - it will suffice for a year or two before needing upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback. Could I ask why you think only think for a year or two? The harddrive space mainly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, james2609 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Could I ask why you think only think for a year or two? The harddrive space mainly?

Just the hard drive space. It can fill up quickly.

If you're sparing with your files and storage it will be fine.

You could just get an external drive for extra storage. Pretty cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Just the hard drive space. It can fill up quickly.

If you're sparing with your files and storage it will be fine.

You could just get an external drive for extra storage. Pretty cheap.

Ah ok yeah that sounds good. Thank you for all the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gangor said:

You might also consider using Google Stadia to play FM. You need a good internet connection, but the specs of your computer then basically don't matter. If you have a smart TV it might even work on that.

Oh didn't think of that, will have a look! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of upgrading RAM would you say that installing 32GB rather than 16GB would be overkill when the laptop in question is only used to play football manager, as i recently purchased the HP above, which i am very pleased with. have purchased an external 1tb drive for storing large files etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lofty20000 said:

Talking of upgrading RAM would you say that installing 32GB rather than 16GB would be overkill when the laptop in question is only used to play football manager, as i recently purchased the HP above, which i am very pleased with. have purchased an external 1tb drive for storing large files etc.

Yes, as FM doesn't need huge amounts of RAM, CPU single core speed is more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, I was hoping for a bit of advice. Looking at getting this and wondered if I would be able to run FM20 with one league loaded and 2D/Only Commentary in use. I know it isn't ideal for FM but I need the MacBook for work and wanted to know if I can play these fairly low settings of FM on it? Any advice grateful please 

image.thumb.png.6142f9afbb8ee285f80c0b78b71c5654.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...